MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best DSLR & Video Cams for capturing live in 2018
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Best DSLR & Video Cams for capturing live in 2018
Glitzerstrahl
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find any threads using the search function.

I'm looking for a good camera for capturing videos of jams & live performances. Could be a DSLR or a video cam, doesn't have to be compact but must cope with low light and preferably be capable of capturing sound either directly (line in) or syncing with an external recorder.

I have many years of experience with DV cams and older digital systems so have a good grasp on the concepts, but haven't followed along or used any video gear / SW for the past 15 years or so...

What are you using? Any tips or recommendations for what to buy in 2018?
Sethroph
As a filmmaker it all depends on your budget. But if you're serious about it, I would recommend a Canon C100 MK2. It has good low light and 2 XLR inputs and a 3.5mm lead input too. It also has it's own audio mixer on-board. It can be overwhelming with all the settings and stuff, but I recently acquired one and it's amazing.

There's also the Sony a7s, which is probably the best low-light camera that exists at the moment, but I don't know what the audio capabilities are like because I've not used it before.

What lens you use matters too. For low light, you essentially want a lense with the smallest f-number (e.g. f2.0) and I wouldn't recommend using Autofocus. Set your focus manually beforehand, then forget about it!

If you don't mind having to sync up audio in a video editor, then get the a7s, but if you are wanting something that's flexible, go for the C100 MK2.

Also, a tripod. Everybody hates camera shake.
fuzzyboy
Seconding Sony here because of their low-light sensor performance!

Having an external audio input is also essential IMO.

Regarding lens f/2.0 or lower as being stated gives you a lot of room to play with light but take into account it makes the focus depth shallow, so using wider lens (on the fish-eye side) like 24-18mm would make the depth of field longer plus would allow placing camera a bit closer.

Invest in a quality tripod, sometimes it takes an effort to place a camera, so it doesn't obstruct your moves while capturing a decent piece of the action.
ssirKriss
my canon t6i just died for no reason,
so I am also looking for suggestions.
Definitely can't afford an a7 or c100 !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1