MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clouds with Ears for processing mic level
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Clouds with Ears for processing mic level
ketem13
Hi

I would like to process a piezo mic (that connected to a kalimba) through clouds. I understad clouds input is line level and the piezo mic is mic level
therefore I thought the ears will be useful, but - if I have mic preamp such as this : https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP--art-tube-mp

do I really need the ears as well?

what other type of use you can think for Ears module ?

Thanks
pugix
Ears is primarily a scratch microphone. I wouldn't recommend it just as a preamp. The mic preamp you linked would likely do the job you need: bringing a mic level up to line level. You might find a module for this, but probably more expensive.
Standup
Isn’t the pickup in Ears a piezo? So I would think it’d be perfect.

I like Ears a lot, mostly using it for scratches or putting a Kalimba right on the panel, and it picks it up pretty well.

It’s also super useful to manually send a gate. Tap Ears and it sends a gate.

In the div kid video he says the knob has quite a bit of gain, and he has run guitars and other signals through it.
moremagic
Ears has a bunch of gain, and Clouds has a good bit of gain too, it oughta work.
Ears also transforms your modular from an electronic instrument to an electromechanical one, really fun for fredback Miley Cyrus
Blairio
Standup wrote:
Isn’t the pickup in Ears a piezo? So I would think it’d be perfect.

In the div kid video he says the knob has quite a bit of gain, and he has run guitars and other signals through it.

yup, Ears has 40db of (pretty clean) gain. I guess sit depends on the sensitivity of the outboard piezo used.

Tandy Radio Shack used to do great piezo PZM mikes, mounted on 6inch square panels. The idea was you fitted a couple to the walls of a room, or one on a table for conference calls. In fact lots of folk used the PZM capsules for mik'ing up all manner of acoustics instruments from accordions to percussion stuff. They were cheap and worked very well. Rumour has it that the capsules were made by Crown.
fitzgreyve
Blairio wrote:

Tandy Radio Shack used to do great piezo PZM mikes

The Tandy/Radio shack pressure zone mike used an electret capsule - the early ones were indeed rumoured to be made by Crown, but then allegedly they changed it as it was "too good for the price".
Blairio
fitzgreyve wrote:
Blairio wrote:

Tandy Radio Shack used to do great piezo PZM mikes

The Tandy/Radio shack pressure zone mike used an electret capsule - the early ones were indeed rumoured to be made by Crown, but then allegedly they changed it as it was "too good for the price".

Ah, I was misled by the model name: 'PZM'! I agree, they really were too good for the price. I had a couple of the capsules fitted to the treble side of a fairly expensive accordion. Other 'box players were pretty scornful, until they heard the quality of the sound captured.
ketem13
thanks for the useful info!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1