FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

DIY breakout panels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author DIY breakout panels

I have several modules that have alternate functionality available via jumpers on the back side. I am considering making my own breakout panel to open and close the jumper connections. Something along the lines of Poti-Batumi.

Could I do something as simple as attaching wires to the jumper leads and having a toggle switch to open/close the circuit? Do I need any resistors, diodes, or whatever in the path, or will a simple open-close set up be OK? Any particular switches to consider or avoid?

I would imagine that most units will be fine. Id exclude digital from this though.

You may (or may not) find that shielded cable is required. Its kind of unlikley, but if its audio (rather than control) going through the jumper at very low voltage, then it may pick up noise easily.

I would suggest checking by moving the jumper whilst in operation before going too far. It would be good to understand what is going on, but i would imagine simple testing to pose little (but probably not zero!) risk.

If you have an option for break before make switches, i would go for them in initial testing.
Thank you. That is very helpful. A quick google clarified "break before make".
Are you able to suggest a good source for switches?
Also, what amp rating or other specs should I be considering?
Amp rating will be tiny. Just buy whatever you like the look of. I would imagine "sub minature" would be what you wanted if you are just going for standard toggles. That's the size used on most panels, so your breakout will then fit cosmetically.
Like this?: _source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla
Yeah man that will do it
smthg like this?
Yes exactly like that... except I was hoping to build one as 2hp with fewer switches. I'll let you know how I get on.

Any idea where I could pick up some of those 2-wire cables with sockets on both sides?
SuppleWhat wrote:
Any idea where I could pick up some of those 2-wire cables with sockets on both sides?

I'm pretty sure those are called Dupont wires or Dupont cables. There are loads of places that sell them. If you don't mind waiting a bit, you can usually get some for really cheap from ebay or aliexpress. Otherwise, loads of places with faster shipping, like Sparkfun or Adafruit or even Amazon.

Keep in mind that you'll want to make sure they'll fit your switch's pins if you want it to be just like the Ladik one, since some switches tend to have wider pins than will work with Dupont cables. (Then again, if they don't fit, just cut one end off and then solder it to the switch. Easy.)
I recently made this panel to connect to the jumper options on the 4MS RCD, I could share the PCB and panel files if you're interested. The PCB isn't really necessary, but made the build cleaner, it connects sub-mini switches (available at Thonk or Mouser) to common 2.54 mm pin headers.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1