MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Geiger Counter Pro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Geiger Counter Pro
VanEck
I have yet to see or find any threads discussing the Geiger Counter Pro yet.

I just ordered one from perfect circuit, pretty pumped about it. I used to own the original as a module. Curious how the improvements and changes stack up on the Pro if anyone has used one yet.

Bummer about it not being able to take stereo inputs, but the 2 assignable CV inputs sealed the deal for me.
PrimateSynthesis
I want a picture of you holding it next to a recent newspaper just to prove that it's real hihi
cantremember
I got mine in last week. Just a heads up, the gcp does not work with Strymon power supplies. I tried the Zuma and Ojai and both just made the gcp blink non-stop. I reached out to wmd and they suggested a 1spot which works fine but I thought it was disappointing.
chvad
Ordering one this evening!

Any chance the power issue is strymon and not the Geiger?
cantremember
I doubt it considering every single pedal I have ran through the stymons have worked with no issue except the gcp.
Sinamsis
It looks great. The more knob per function UI really appeals to me. I always had issues remembering the different functions of the pedal version. I'll definitely snag one eventually.
metallum
Hello!
Same here not working with Strymon....Just finished second pedalboard..I have swapped my trusty heavy:) powerfactor2 from Cioks to Zuma.. I have never thought that pedals 2018 will have that problem (WALRUS effects also not working with Strymon) TOTALLY pissed!!!!!
Cioks will lounch in a few months new power supplies..very similar technology to Strymon...I wonder what boutique manufacturers will do with powering problems...
chvad
So far mine has worked with a 1-Spot, Voodoolab Pedal Power Plus and a Decibel Eleven Hot Stone
Infinity Curve
No problems with a Cioks DC10
metallum
Cioks is different type of power, new Cioks will be availlable on a few months with simillar impulse power technology like Strymon. I have spoken with their developer guy . Them will look at the problem since WNF is not only one with problems... luminary from Walrus for example
ChevChelios
Been loving my GCP. I had a random PSU laying around the house with the appropriate specs and have had zero issues. Functions great and sounds really great!
Prints
Would anyone be willing to share thoughts on, or post demos of how this sounds processing drums?
NastyNachos
Prints wrote:
Would anyone be willing to share thoughts on, or post demos of how this sounds processing drums?

Do you want examples of acoustic drums or drum machines?

I'm currently making new demos with drum machines, I could prob figure out a way to processor a recording of real drums or at lease "real" drums i.e. abbey road drummer wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHYMwmxNeMw

Here's a quick pocket operator demo... Will have more soon with Drum Brute, TR8, and Rytm.
Prints
NastyNachos wrote:
Prints wrote:

I'm currently making new demos with drum machines, I could prob figure out a way to processor a recording of real drums or at lease "real" drums i.e. abbey road drummer wink

Here's a quick pocket operator demo... Will have more soon with Drum Brute, TR8, and Rytm.

Drum machines. I'd like to hear more subtle applications that enhance punch, and emulate old-school samplers, DACs, etc.
Tajnost
+1 Please post more detailed demos with drummachine / samples / synth sounds...
gentle_attack
NastyNachos wrote:
Prints wrote:

That's sounds crunchy af. Damn. Reminds me of the Smallsound/Bigsound Fuck Overdrive. But more flexible. Nice.
stor
metallum wrote:
Hello!
Same here not working with Strymon....Just finished second pedalboard..I have swapped my trusty heavy:) powerfactor2 from Cioks to Zuma.. I have never thought that pedals 2018 will have that problem (WALRUS effects also not working with Strymon) TOTALLY pissed!!!!!
Cioks will lounch in a few months new power supplies..very similar technology to Strymon...I wonder what boutique manufacturers will do with powering problems...

Hey dudes,

I have successfully tested a workaround to the issue of Strymon power supplies and the Geiger Counter Pro: use a Current Doubler Cable such as the Voodoo Labs Current Doubler Adapter.

BIG FAT WARNING NOTE: I'm talking about a CURRENT doubler, NOT a voltage doubler. A current doubler connects two power ports *in parallel*. This is important: a voltage doubler is likely to destroy the GCP. If you're unsure, please check with the supplier that you're getting the right thing.

It means you use 2 ports on your Zuma/Ojai which is a shame but is preferable to alternatives as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this information helps someone.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Strymon or WMD, nor am I an electrical engineer. Use of this workaround is at your own risk. I accept no responsibility for damage to equipment as a result of attempting this workaround. Thanks.
mikeyx13
"I have successfully tested a workaround to the issue of Strymon power supplies and the Geiger Counter Pro: use a Current Doubler Cable such as the Voodoo Labs Current Doubler Adapter."

Have the same issue, got the VooDoo Lab Current Doubler Cable, plugged into two ports on the Zuma, still flashing on and off. Emailed Strymon support, got a fast response, said to plug everything in first then turn on the power, had had already tried that. So other suggestion from them was to get the VooDoo cable. Darn WMD powers right up with every other cheap power supply I have. Hate the idea of having one wall wort on my board, you do anything different with your setup?
kaiviti
Bit late here, I didn't know others had the same problem as me :-)

So, I have a zuma and an Ojai and like others got the boot looping. I tried it on the Strymon wallwart that comes with their pedals and it worked so I guessed it was just inrush current. I spoke to Strymon and WMD who both were less than helpful so I fixed it myself. Fix was to simply add one or two large-ish electrolytic caps in parallel with the GCP power. These store enough charge to get the pedal over the initial power surge and you're good to go. I wanted to do this so I don't loose a socket on my PSU.

In my case I cut a DC power cable in half, stripped the wires and simply soldered them to the legs of the caps. I used two 10uF 25v caps, make sure you connect them the right way around and insulate them whenyou are done. That's it.

I can hack up a diagrap or a photo if anyone wants one but it's pretty simple .
kaiviti
FWIW I use a boss ES-8 and it emits MIDI clocks which i like for setting the tempo of my delays. The GCP doesn't like this though, there was audible noise from the clocks, changed pitch wit the tempo etc. I now filter the clocks form the GCP MIDI cable and we are good. The GCP is pure awesome...
frogworm
Hi, kaiviti

I have the exact same issue and I need to make that cable you're referring to with the two caps. I bought them today and tried to set it up in a way that makes sense... Are you able to diagram it out for me? Or at least explain how to wire that cable up with those two 10uf 25v caps?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1