MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Supercell - an expanded version of Clouds - Parasites beta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Supercell - an expanded version of Clouds - Parasites beta
tau_seti
Any progress with the assembly and shipping?
sempervirent
Assembly is finished and the modules are in transit now, will start shipping preorders ASAP. Apologies to all for the delays. It will be worth the wait.
tau_seti
I'm sure. Thanks, cat-pal!
omorange
sempervirent wrote:
Assembly is finished and the modules are in transit now, will start shipping preorders ASAP. Apologies to all for the delays. It will be worth the wait.

just came to double check too! Do you send out shipment notifications? hell i think i only live about 20 mins from you, I could just drop by (but maybe you're not into that and I totally understand)
sempervirent
It's shipping time! Gotta say, the black units look particularly sweet.

This first batch has almost sold out, there are only a few units not reserved so please preorder here if you want one. A second batch is in the works but it will be 4-8 weeks before they are ready.

@omorange I will send you a PM but yes, when shipping labels are created, an email is sent out with tracking info.

DSC
sempervirent wrote:
It's shipping time! Gotta say, the black units look particularly sweet.

Yes, it does! Very Tempting!
DabiDabDab
Release the files! NOW!
Musicartgeek
It's on the way! Thanks for the good communication throughout.
resynthesize
got mine today, initial feedback: fantastic! the internal noise source normalizations really open up the tried and true clouds algorithims, build quality is really nice. I sold my og clouds when supercell was announced so it was fun to start rediscovering it with a new twist. Nice work grayscale!
sempervirent
DabiDabDab wrote:
Release the files! NOW!

I know the DIY types are eager to start selling clones on Reverb or whatever, but please be patient, the source files will be released eventually.

Musicartgeek wrote:
It's on the way! Thanks for the good communication throughout.

And thank you. Many of the preorders have been shipped, still have some to catch up on over the next few days.

resynthesize wrote:
got mine today, initial feedback: fantastic! the internal noise source normalizations really open up the tried and true clouds algorithims, build quality is really nice. I sold my og clouds when supercell was announced so it was fun to start rediscovering it with a new twist. Nice work grayscale!

Wow, that was fast. Glad you're enjoying it. By the way the manual is online now: https://grayscale.info/supercell/

Assuming that none of the pending preorders are canceled, this batch has sold out as of today. Preorder at the link above to reserve a module from the next batch, probably looking at a late November / early December timeframe.

Also the process of getting Parasites ported to Supercell is underway now that the code base is stable.
MattyFYS
What is the last the first batch will be sent out??? Just trying to figure out if I’ll be home the except the package. Really looking forward to mine.
bobbcorr
Congratulations on getting this out the door! Can we look forward to some demos?
forestcaver
sempervirent wrote:
DabiDabDab wrote:
Release the files! NOW!

I know the DIY types are eager to start selling clones on Reverb or whatever, but please be patient, the source files will be released eventually.

I have no interest in making money from Olivier’s designs and would never sell an MI board or complete DIY MI module. I’ve also never sold anything on reverb. I would not want to profit from the work of others. Hence I resent that implication and find it a bit offensive that you think that those who are keen on open source only want to profit from other people’'s work...

My interest is purely to see the hardware modifications to learn from (as per Olivier’s intentions) - I can see a few possibilities that you’ve chosen and am keen to know what you’ve done, which under cc-by-sa are supposed to be released. After thinking about this module, I probably won’t be building one anyway but am very keen to see the files....

I didn’t realise the under the cc-by-sa licence you could choose if and when “eventually” you choose to release them... doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of cc-by-sa - that’s a new one on me :-)

Best of luck with your module...

Ps I know Olivier probably doesn’t care but I care about open source and hence care about this...
bemerritt
forestcaver wrote:
sempervirent wrote:
DabiDabDab wrote:
Release the files! NOW!

I have no interest in making money from Olivier’s designs and would never sell an MI board or complete DIY MI module. I’ve also never sold anything on reverb. I would not want to profit from the work of others. Hence I resent that implication and find it a bit offensive that you think that those who are keen on open source only want to profit from other people’'s work...

My interest is purely to see the hardware modifications to learn from (as per Olivier’s intentions) - I can see a few possibilities that you’ve chosen and am keen to know what you’ve done, which under cc-by-sa are supposed to be released. After thinking about this module, I probably won’t be building one anyway but am very keen to see the files....

I didn’t realise the under the cc-by-sa licence you could choose if and when “eventually” you choose to release them... doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of cc-by-sa - that’s a new one on me :-)

Best of luck with your module...

Ps I know Olivier probably doesn’t care but I care about open source and hence care about this...

Agreed. Did the dual braids buchla module files ever get released?

edit: looks like i found the board and schematic files on grayscales github. Im not completely in the know of how the license works, but does it include firmware or just the hardware?
forestcaver
Firmware is mit licence, hardware is cc-by-sa-3.0
sempervirent
MattyFYS wrote:
What is the last the first batch will be sent out??? Just trying to figure out if I’ll be home the except the package. Really looking forward to mine.

Thanks for getting one. All existing orders will be shipped by the end of this week.

bobbcorr wrote:
Congratulations on getting this out the door! Can we look forward to some demos?

Yes, doing demos is my Achilles' heel (always busy with other things) but it seems that a few others are working on demos. The upgrades are mostly related to usability so from a DSP perspective it will sound like any of the Clouds demos that are out there.

forestcaver wrote:

No offense intended of course but given that you're a member of a certain Facebook group known for doing huge group buys of certain open-source PCBs, you can't be unaware that your personal position on selling clones (or miniaturized derivatives of currently-available modules) is not widely held. Olivier has stated that he does not care, but he doesn't publish source files for new module releases on day one either, and there are good reasons for that.

forestcaver wrote:

CC is an alternative to traditional copyright, and copyright only applies to things that can be copyrighted (such as photos, music, etc). The technical details of schematics, board layouts, etc cannot be copyrighted (implementations are covered by patents, not copyrights). Because of this, the CC organization specifically does not recommend using a CC license for hardware. See this link for further discussion about CC as it relates to open hardware projects.

That said, the "spirit" of the license (as you say) does matter and obviously this project would be less likely to exist if the original hardware files for Clouds had not been published. That's why I've committed to releasing the source files but the vagaries of CC are not relevant to the timing.

bemerritt wrote:
edit: looks like i found the board and schematic files on grayscales github. Im not completely in the know of how the license works, but does it include firmware or just the hardware?

As @forestcaver mentions, the firmware is covered by the MIT License, which puts no restrictions on use or publishing changes. But the DAO uses the stock firmware anyway so there were no changes to publish.
forestcaver
sempervirent wrote:
MattyFYS wrote:

Thanks for getting one. All existing orders will be shipped by the end of this week.

bobbcorr wrote:

Yes, doing demos is my Achilles' heel (always busy with other things) but it seems that a few others are working on demos. The upgrades are mostly related to usability so from a DSP perspective it will sound like any of the Clouds demos that are out there.

forestcaver wrote:

No offense intended of course but given that you're a member of a certain Facebook group known for doing huge group buys of certain open-source PCBs, you can't be unaware that your personal position on selling clones (or miniaturized derivatives of currently-available modules) is not widely held.

Cheers for replying - I appreciate it.

(Just for clarity - as you are in the same fb group, you can see from my past posts that for all the panels and pcbs I have had made, I have given away for free any spare ones that I haven’t used and refused to take money for them. I really do strongly believe in open hardware and software and free information.... I’m a real hippy about it....)
dronetaco
Had 20 minutes with it last night and it blew my mind. I’ll try to get something worthy of posting tonight. Gorgeous sound and quite easy and intuitive to use. I’ve actually never owned a clouds but immediately started getting incredible sounds and clarity of the algorithms out of it. Ace!

Driscol
How can you belittle people, saying they are eager to start selling clones on reverb, when they ask for files, when your own thing is in reality a clone? You added separate controls over modes? Is this supposed to be innovation, something new on its own?

You claim "obviously this project would be less likely to exist if the original hardware files for Clouds had not been published". No, it wouldnt exist, period. Not less likely, no nothing, it wouldnt exist. Thats why i dont even know how you have the guts to come out saying you are just copying the mode of production Olivier choose with delaying the open sourcing like you are on the same footing somehow.

What tops it then is that you actually copy a design that was put out under a certain licence, add on the surface modifications and then come out saying that that licence is not really suitable for this type of intellectual work and so you dont have to release under it or if you do release that you decide when that happens. Thats seriously twisted.

In reality i dont care one way or another but everyone has put the files out for their variations, be it, Blue Lantern, neutron micros and and as far as i d say also Northern modular. And all of their changes were surface modifications as is yours. And while some have tried to do the new model with preorders that still seems to be somewhat fair the fact that you dont want to release files now when the machine is released is pretty pathetic if you ask me.
natureclubcassettes
dronetaco wrote:
Had 20 minutes with it last night and it blew my mind. I’ll try to get something worthy of posting tonight. Gorgeous sound and quite easy and intuitive to use. I’ve actually never owned a clouds but immediately started getting incredible sounds and clarity of the algorithms out of it. Ace!

sorry for ignorance and not to derail, but is that a verbos multi-delay plus supercell???? that would be delay city if so (and I thought I had a delay problem.......)
sempervirent
Trolling from a brand new account... impressive.

I've said all that I will say on this subject.
mskala
Driscol wrote:
everyone has put the files out for their variations, be it, Blue Lantern, neutron micros and and as far as i d say also Northern modular. And all of their changes were surface modifications as is yours.

The only "Northern Modular" I can find on the Net seems to be a Reverb dealer and not a manufacturer at all. If you mean North Coast, my designs are original, not "surface modifications" of anyone else's.
sempervirent
natureclubcassettes wrote:
sorry for ignorance and not to derail, but is that a verbos multi-delay plus supercell???? that would be delay city if so (and I thought I had a delay problem.......)

That's the Bark Filter (based on the Buchla 296).
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/verbos-electronics-bark-filter-processor
Brennanib
Wow just seeing this and al I can say is woah I really could use this with like everything

Loving the layout by the way and the overall idea of this!

pbear :(
pld
mskala wrote:
The only "Northern Modular" I can find on the Net seems to be a Reverb dealer and not a manufacturer at all. If you mean North Coast, my designs are original, not "surface modifications" of anyone else's.

Perhaps Northern Light Modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 5 of 10