MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Searching for 126hp vector rail part number / retailer??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Searching for 126hp vector rail part number / retailer??
julian
I feel like im missing something - i just thought id go to mouser and...

But here i am, 30 mins later, and ive not found them?

Im after 126hp vector rails, without the lip, and some threaded strips to go with them.

Anyone more of a ninja with part numbers than me?

Thank you!
APETECHNOLOGY
vector brand does not come in 24"
the closest is 30"

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vector/TS300?qs=%2fha2pyFadug4N6a m0b5cMZfgu621nQwO3qF0ZNy701ypP0iV5%2fqmIg%3d%3d

the threaded rails alway goof me up, i think i use a shroff part for those.
at least this is a start!
diablojoy
If your going mouser then better to get this
TS-600 It's cheaper
then just cut to length yourself
the threaded strips I can never find at mouser either so I just get them from Elby .
julian
Am I right in thinking the 600 is double the length?

It's about 4x the price though?

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Vector/TS-600/?qs=%2fha2pyFadui vUkwmZA7YxE9WHAe6NPlRpRKRkw5PBbnA0QO4VR30NA%3d%3d

I think I'll mail gietech and see what they say.
flts
1 HP is 0.2" (5.08 mm), so 126 HP is 126 * 0.2" = 25.2"... Vector TS-600 says it's 60" so it's a bit more than double the length (about 2.3-2.4x hihi )

Gie-Tech sells their own lipless rails (they have two "Trägerprofil" - one with lip and one without) and strips to go with them. The rails come in any custom lengths, the strips I'm not sure about. The strips take M3 screws and are a bit wider profile than Vector ones, but eg. the. Pulp Logic 1U tiles should apparently still fit fine.

If they haven't changed their pricing expect to pay around 10 euros per single rail + strip in medium quantities - they don't do _super_ cheap shipping & handling so ordering just two may be prohibitively expensive, but for like ten or twenty, the price starts getting very reasonable.
drew
Quote:

That’s for a pack of 4, isn’t it?
So you get 8x the rail for 4x the price.
julian
Thank you - i see that now.

Im also confused about length -

The TS169 is the standard 84hp unit, however, its length is listed as 16.85 inches / 427.99

84x5.08 = 426.72 so why the extra >1mm?

But on gietechs website, the standard rails are cut to 432.0mm which seems odd?

So, if i want to mount 126hp of units, should i cut to 126x5.08 = 640.08mm or is there something odd going on that i am overlooking?
Leverkusen
drew wrote:
Quote:

That’s for a pack of 4, isn’t it?
So you get 8x the rail for 4x the price.

I did wonder the same thing as the mouser site says: "Factory Pack Quantity: 1"

Where do you get that it is actually four of them? I have to build a new case and these would be fitting well.
keninverse
Mouser site description shows: Racks & Rack Cabinet Accessories Al T-STRUT 4/PK 60". I purchased a pack from mouser some time ago and if I recall they do charge a little more for shipping due to the length.
flts
julian wrote:
But on gietechs website, the standard rails are cut to 432.0mm which seems odd? So, if i want to mount 126hp of units, should i cut to 126x5.08 = 640.08mm or is there something odd going on that i am overlooking?

As you've noted, the standard Gie-Tec / Doepfer rails are actually technically 85 HP (edit: I think Doepfer actually used 84 HP or 85 HP a bit depending on case / kit at some point) because

1) it's a nice number of 17 inches which presumedly makes it nice for rack mounting with ears, and
2) the tolerances are not exact - the slight differences in panels and holes mean that one HP extra in the rails guarantees you can fit at least 84 HP of "content" in there.

So if you want to mount exactly 126 HP of modules and not one HP less, you might want to look at cutting the rails to 127 HP just to be sure.

OR in case the end pieces you attach the rails to are in line with the rail (ie there's some slack for the panels to protrude just a tiny amount out of the edges of the rails) and you can mount the modules so that you don't specifically need both the very first AND the very last hole pair, then the exact number of HP will most probably be enough.
APETECHNOLOGY
this is all very confusing.... cry
ashleym
Apropos nothing, here’s a source of something similar

https://www.exploding-shed.com/eurorack-rails-case-building/
widgetoz
julian wrote:

The TS169 is the standard 84hp unit, however, its length is listed as 16.85 inches / 427.99

So, if i want to mount 126hp of units, should i cut to 126x5.08 = 640.08mm or is there something odd going on that i am overlooking?

Lite Racks have a thin end plate which (a) provides the ideal spacing and support for the rails and (b) provides a means to secure the rack from inside the case. Because of this design, the rails are the same as the actual module opening so an 84HP rack has 84HP rails.
Tower Racks (normally used in 19" enclosures) have ears that provide the mounting mechanism to the 19" rack. Most manufacturers have a cosmetic lip on the ears which wraps over on to the rails and hides the edges of the join between the rail and the side plates. Because of this wrap, the rails are 1HP longer so that you still end up with 84HP of module space.
Tolerance of less than 1mm is not a problem but greater is and the 2 dimensions you gave are for 84HP and 85HP rails. If you fit ears to 84HP
rails the rack will not fit a conventional 19" frame.
Have a look at my Lite and Tower Racks where you will find dimensional details for rails
ersatzplanet
julian wrote:

The Vector T-struts are designed to be mounted to rack ears and brackets so are the lengths they use for those. A lot of designs like the Schroft rails are designed with rack ears with decorative front faces that overlap the rails so they are an extra length for that reason.

I have 4 Doepfer portable cases and two are 85HP and two are 84HP, they changed suppliers somewhere along the line. Here is a shot of the Vector spec sheet with part numbers for all their typical hardware. Google searches with the part numbers will get better results.

flts
ersatzplanet wrote:
I have 4 Doepfer portable cases and two are 85HP and two are 84HP, they changed suppliers somewhere along the line.

I believe Doepfer originally used ProMA rails / subframe assemblies. Then when the parent company of ProMA was bought out a decade ago or so, Gie-Tec was spun off from that and they continued manufacturing the ProMA's product line.

They may have made some changes to the product line of course, but I also remember Doepfer have simultaneously sold different product with both 84 HP and 85 HP rails (ie. DIY Kits vs some of the prebuilt cases) so it's possible they have chosen to change their design as well.
roger
flts wrote:
julian wrote:
But on gietechs website, the standard rails are cut to 432.0mm which seems odd? So, if i want to mount 126hp of units, should i cut to 126x5.08 = 640.08mm or is there something odd going on that i am overlooking?

As you've noted, the standard Gie-Tec / Doepfer rails are actually technically 85 HP (edit: I think Doepfer actually used 84 HP or 85 HP a bit depending on case / kit at some point)

I got two 84hp and two 85hp in my A-100 kit meh
diablojoy
Quote:
Where do you get that it is actually four of them? I have to build a new case and these would be fitting well.

Definitely 4 x 60 inch lengths that you receive
It is in the description but its not exactly obvious
I haven't paid any extra for delivery before hope that hasn't now
changed as I need to order more sometime this year.
Rex Coil 7
I bought that same deal .... it is for sure 4 pieces at 60 inches each for a total of 20 feet of vector rail.

Is there some reason what the OP needs must be precisely 124HP? Has the cabinet been built already? If not, just cut the rails to whatever lengths you want and build the cab to suit the rail length.

Here's the early start, worked out the length and sides prior to enclosing the rest. Of course, the cab was designed around the power system rather than the other way around. First rule of synth building .... design the power system first, then design the cabinet around the power system. You'll never regret it.

Cutting the vector rail is basic hand tool stuff. A hack saw and a flat bastard is pretty much all it takes. Layout only requires a combo square and a sharpie used as dykem. Then a sharp etching tool (like a nail or other sharp point) to scratch the sharpie markings for more precise layout.

High School shop class stuff.
julian
126 (not 124) is 1.5x 84, which seems a comfortable measurement, hence why ive chosen it.

Ive not built the case yet, only a prototype. The labor in building the case will be significant, so i may as well have the rails the way i want them.

Gie-tech have quoted me Euro 5.25 per length on 10-off (ex tax, ex Euro 25 delivery) cut to 641mm (126hp = 640.8mm) so on 10-off the cost is very similar to the 8-off i would be able to cut from the mouser package.

....so it will not only be cheaper to buy direct, but i will also not have to cut them myself. Even with the kit i have, i would still rather not have to mess about, even if it cost a few euros more (which it does not)

The also quoted me Euro 2.65 (ex tax etc) for M3 threadded stip in 84hp. They only have 84hp lengths, but they will cut down the second unit to size, if required - however, i think i may just order full lengths and cut directly in the center - it will mean each tier has one hole fewer on the threaded strips, but i do not think that will be an issue.

I would rather tapped strip, as my case design would not allow access to the ends of the strips for later loading of fasteners.

Thanks to all for the information - it has been very useful.
ersatzplanet
I made this 168HP "monster skiff" out of dual 84HP rails. The top and bottom rails were no problem of course, they bolt to the angle aluminum. The middle rails had to be bolted together with little plates screwed into the side and bottom slots. I will do that will L shaped panels next time. It still was very sturdy (and not light weight).

plushterry
How do you go about ordering from gie tec? When I last tried, they didn't accept orders from the UK and they didn't reply to my emails.
julian
plushterry wrote:
How do you go about ordering from gie tec? When I last tried, they didn't accept orders from the UK and they didn't reply to my emails.

I've got a quote but not actually ordered yet. It's on the list though...

I found them pretty responsive via email.

I see you're in Cornwall somewhere. Their standard shipping is fairly high. Depending on circumstance, if you're keen, we could order together and split the shipping. Drop me a pm if you're keen at all.
flts
Gie-Tec has always been very responsive to me. Even though the only way of ordering from them has been to send an e-mail (or call them?) and ask for a quote, they've always replied during the same day. The shipping and handling is pretty steep, but starts to make sense if you order a dozen or two or more at once.
plushterry
Thanks guys, I'll pm you when I get home later Julian, thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1