MUFF WIGGLER
one billion tastes and tunes

FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Information
Watch out! I just nuked 1-post user "gear101" after receiving five different complaints over the course of about 20mins that he's sending PMs to people offering to sell gear. Seems pretty fishy! I'm sure he'll be back under a different name but with the same old game. Be careful! Thanks to everyone who let me know about this guy.

MW Radio

Search for at
MUFF WIGGLER Advanced Search
Update: 8 16bit cv outputs from computer!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Update: 8 16bit cv outputs from computer!
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Update: 8 16bit cv outputs from computer! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, so this has been the holy grail for me in terms of modular synth+computer integration, and I had all but given up:

my fa-101 has DC blocking capacitors (and I'm not overly keen on hacking it wink ) and my 828mk1 had been bricked by horrible drivers...

I had even started looking into weird OSC->CV solutions, and had cash in hand, ready to buy the Kenton Pro 2000, which is expensive, and still only runs at midi resolution.

Well, now things have changed! I magically got the 828mk1 to WORK and I speedily set up a test rig to see what I could get out of the unit.

IT WORKS! Oh my GAWD this is so cool! I have a 4-way step sequencer, a fully synced ADSR and an LFO modulating an LFO, coming out of 5 different outputs, and as far as I can tell the voltage is REALLY high - good enough to do proper pitch scaling and so on - this RULES! It also happily generates trigger outputs, although I am going to build a trigger interface instead.

So - what does it sound like?
http://wetterberg.dk/uploads/828_modulator.mp3
(sorry for the crummy recording, weird interference on my recorder... wasn't there when monitoring directly, grumble)

What's going on?
the patch is 110 VCO->116 waveform processor->106-1 Xtreme filter

Computer is step sequencing PWM, clipping and symmetry CV and filter cutoff. Not too fancy, just enough for me to play around. Manually adjusting resonance and levels. adsr is going to the filter (yes, that's right, I'm not using an adsr in my modular!) and the lfo-modulated-lfo is controlling the filter as well. both lfos are sinewaves, and going into audio range is so damned easy.

The sequencer patch was just thrown together quickly - every 8 bars all 4 8-step sequencers are randomly set. But the results are surprisingly funky, if you ask me. I'm looking forward to attempting something sequenced on my Lemur! eek!
What does it look like?
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hell yes!! Great work! I have Max/MSP and got very put off the path and kind of gave up. This should be good reason to give it another push. AND I have the same 828 you have. I guess you get 3 of these:

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
zerosum
Modulation Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn that is really really cool 8)
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome!!! SlayerBadger! w00t

I see you're running Max5. smile

I like the round corners now.

I've been thinking about some sort of master clock/control hub, and I keep thinking Max would be the easiest most controllable, repeatable way. Congrats dude, I gotta get back to using Max with the modular too.

Nice to know the 828mk1 can send low frequency outputs too! 8)
Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dammit Andreas! stop making me gas over software I don't want to buy wink
amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

is this doable with other sound cards? i have a presonus firepod can you send us the max file please

vicmod records
vicmod blog
modular vids
tumblr its in my brain now
discog
cray news
flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

amnesia wrote:
is this doable with other sound cards? i have a presonus firepod can you send us the max file please

Any sound cards that don't have DC blocking capacitors in their output stages should do at least passably. Lots of audio interfaces have those though, but you can try out yourself.
Scaff
Elbe Kontrollspannungsverein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, please post a link to the file. Great Job! we're not worthy
wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I say that if you have an aging audio interface and this *doesn't* work, and some soldering skills then open her up and short out the caps twisted

One thing that was unforeseen is that the DC on the outputs - and the flow of electricity back and forth between the modular and the 828 - made *recording* simultaneously on the 828 quite impossible, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd be half way done with a cv recorder already very frustrating - still, can't beat it for unlimited sequencers, envelopes, lfos and other malarky.

http://wetterberg.dk/uploads/analog_test.maxpat
- here's the patch, in all it's modesty - a lot of fun, nonetheless - loading it up will definitely let you know if your interface is dc-coupled or not.

SUBURBAN BATHER!!! wtf are you doing here - are you stalking me, mr. Zombie Man? Guinness ftw!
Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wetterberg wrote:
I say that if you have an aging audio interface and this *doesn't* work, and some soldering skills then open her up and short out the caps twisted

One thing that was unforeseen is that the DC on the outputs - and the flow of electricity back and forth between the modular and the 828 - made *recording* simultaneously on the 828 quite impossible, unfortunately. Otherwise I'd be half way done with a cv recorder already very frustrating - still, can't beat it for unlimited sequencers, envelopes, lfos and other malarky.

http://wetterberg.dk/uploads/analog_test.maxpat
- here's the patch, in all it's modesty - a lot of fun, nonetheless - loading it up will definitely let you know if your interface is dc-coupled or not.

SUBURBAN BATHER!!! wtf are you doing here - are you stalking me, mr. Zombie Man? Guinness ftw!

lol
During a recent and rare occasion of checking out the Ableton forum, I saw a link to this site. I have a 22space .com system and almost all of the Moogerfoogers(just need both murfs and the mp-201). I'm also thinking about starting a Euro Rack system and I want your B R A I N ZZZZZZ. So, here I am!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: