MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Update: 8 16bit cv outputs from computer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [all]
Author Update: 8 16bit cv outputs from computer!
mmp
Thanks for posting these.

Regards,

MM

criticalmonkey wrote:
btw - anybody wanting to give this a quick try - i made some really ugly bad vst plugins for demo purposes on criticalshit.com
gate/adsr/midi to cv using the audio interface/and an lfo - pluggo format so you'll need the runtime
great way to test your interface
macumbista
Hmmmm..... the Hammerfall DSP soundcard is sitting with it's case open and boards exposed on the workbench. There are 16 big electrolytics on the output board, probably two for each of the 8 channels (positive going and negative going voltage). Is it really just so simple as to short these to get DC coupled output??????

I think I'll sleep on the idea for a night and see how it strikes me in the morning. Anybody wanna try to convince me one way or the other? twisted
wetterberg
try shorting out the last output only. Try it out on there.
macumbista
The deed is done. A very simple mod to short the output caps, and it works f*ing great!!!!! Plugging the output of the card into the 1V/Octave input of the synth, and using Pd to send DC voltage between -1 and +1 (limits of DAC), I get a very wide range from the oscillator. Output measures -5V to +5V on the multimeter (output levels of the Multiface are set by internal jumpers to -10dB or +4 dB, I have them at +4dB). Why didn't I do this two years ago???

(PS...Multiface I has balanced inputs & outputs, which explains why each channel has two caps.)

Time to start writing more Pd patches to do stochastic/generative sequences. I've been interested in creating some tendency masks to generate gates and notes lately (since I saw the note-generating software that Zbigniew Karkowski uses in a composition workshop he gave here in Berlin last week). All this stuff is so much easier on the computer than analog style, so why not use each machine for what it's good for...
thelizard
As a Max and M4Live user, this is about the most damn exciting thing I've seen in a while.

Can anyone tell me if the Digidesign 002R outputs are DC-coupled? Apparently, the headphone jack is (of all things... is it because most headphone plugs are TRS?), but I can't find anything about the rear outputs. I would test it, but I'm afraid of bricking anything.

What really pisses me off is that I just ordered a gigantic batch of TS 1/8" cables and adapters for 1/4" (going both ways) from DeepSurplus and paid like $10 shipping. Had I known about this sooner, it would've cost me a few dollars extra to experiment with TRS jacks, instead of an extra $10 for a new order. very frustrating

Student budgets suck.
aleatoric
Hey thelizard, did you find out if the Digi 002R will work?
aleatoric
From what I could find on the Volta sites, the 002R like most audio interfaces uses DC-blocking capacitors on the outputs.

I am tempted to open it up and see how difficult it would be to remove.
wetterberg
aleatoric wrote:
From what I could find on the Volta sites, the 002R like most audio interfaces uses DC-blocking capacitors on the outputs.

I am tempted to open it up and see how difficult it would be to remove.
no need to remove them, from what I gather - just short them out.

I just upgraded from a motu828mk1 (!) to a motu UltraLite mkIII, taking advantage of its replacement coming soon. (I don't want your stinkin' usb connection! pfft!) - so yeah, I'm looking forward to having a portable, incredibly nice sounding unit for doing these things.

Also, I'll be able to do weird shit with TWO computers now, hehe.
criticalmonkey
be careful with the digidesign interfaces if you depend on protools
not sure of le but hd software and hardware are heavily tied - software won't work with a "faulty" interface
aleatoric
Yeah that's what I am afraid of. Although it's no longer my primary Digidesign interface, and i suppose it would be just as easy to reverse any mods I make to the outputs? Or would I be better off selling it and picking up a used MOTU 828?
wetterberg
I believe that whatever donglism DigiDesign put in place to tie the hardware to the software won't be affected by shorting out capacitors. And yes, removing the short would return it to normal.

Also, the 828mk1 may work, but it certainly ain't no modern audio interface, if you follow me. It's a ten year old design.
1nput0utput
I've tested a Digidesign 192 and an Mbox. Neither one has DC-coupled outputs. Based on that, I'd expect that the 002 doesn't either.

For those who have successfully modded an interface to bypass the DC-blocking caps, I'd be interested in seeing pictures. I tried to figure out which caps to short on a spare Mbox, but I couldn't get it to work. Maybe if we see how you did it, we'll be able to figure out how to mod other models. It would be great to have a list of interfaces where this mod was successful, and each item could have a picture highlighting which caps to short.
wetterberg
Perhaps if you post up some clear pictures of the mbox pcb we can discern which caps you'll want to fiddle with?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 [all]
Page 5 of 5