MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

80/20 Extruded Aluminum for manipulable case building
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author 80/20 Extruded Aluminum for manipulable case building
Space Cadet
Hey Guys,

I haven't been able to find a topic related to this in the wiggler-verse, but I recently heard about, what is proposed as, an "industrial erector set" called 80/20 extruded aluminum. I'll put a link below, but basically it's t-slot extruded aluminum building set with uncountable building applications. I work in the film industry and people use it to build carts that are sturdy, light weight, can be manipulated to accommodate shelves, have accessory attachments, vary in size/weight, etc. Just curious if anyone has experimented with using the 80/20 system with modular; it would be perfect if you wanted to compartmentalize your modules. For example, you have your main modular build (encased in a frame made with 80/20) and you want an attachable small case with just daw interface modules ( i.e. the expert sleepers es-8 and a couple others); you could attach one case to the other on any side and at any hp you want. AND you could use the system with any modular format.
Take a look at the link. Look at their photo gallery and catalogue and lets gets some ideas bouncing! (that is if this hasn't been discussed before; I'm really bad at foruming)

www.8020.net
pirx
I have built a stand (roughly 6' x 6') for my modular using 8020 T-slots (1" x 1" extrusions). They can be expensive, but sometimes there are pretty good deals on eBay. I will post some pictures later. They are lightweight but sturdy, and a lot of fun to work with.

Also, there are smaller dimensions t-slot systems available (MicroRAX, MakerBeam) that may be more appropriate for smaller systems.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1