MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

COTK quantizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author COTK quantizer
haricots
Will the COTM Quantizer place nice with a Modcan B / MOTM system? I have an opportunity to buy one with a distribution board that apparently will work with a MOTM power supply but I'm not so sure about this 12v vs 15v thing.
analogsteve
haricots wrote:
Will the COTM Quantizer place nice with a Modcan B / MOTM system?

Will it "place" nice? It's Moog format, so there will be that whole mounting hole issue... Will it play nice? Yes.
haricots wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy one with a distribution board that apparently will work with a MOTM power supply but I'm not so sure about this 12v vs 15v thing.

Don't worry about it. The Power Adapter Board sorts out the "12v vs 15v thing".
haricots
Yeah, I'll have to deal with the format issue but that's not a biggie.

So, as far as quantizers go, is this one decent? Ideally I'd like the Modcan B quantizer but this will be much cheaper (and quicker).

Edit: sorry, I meant PLAY nice (cv).
bwhittington
haricots wrote:
Will the COTM Quantizer place nice with a Modcan B / MOTM system? I have an opportunity to buy one with a distribution board that apparently will work with a MOTM power supply but I'm not so sure about this 12v vs 15v thing.

I'm curious what features it has that appeal to you over the Dotcom Q171. Three channels with similar options in the same space versus . . . obscure coolness maybe? Also, I don't believe the COTK quantizes negative voltages, while the Dotcom one can (via jumper settings).

The glut of COTK quantizers offered for sale recently began just as the Dotcom one was announced, which says a bundle in itself. I could see someone buying the COTK quantizer if it was a really, really good deal (maybe way south of $200), but I'm not sure why you would want to mess with the different form-factor and the adaptor board for that particular module.

Cheers,
Brian
dude
hmmm, very interesting points mr B.
haricots
It's a combination of immediately having one, decent price and not knowing enough about quantizers but needing one. But ultimately you're right - why bother with all the power and form factor issues. I should just pony up for a Modcan B Quantizer and be done with it.
JohnLRice
I've never used a COTK quantizer but I've read that they license the circuit (or some such) from Doepfer and it essentially the same module. Now, maybe COTK has made their own improvements to it but at least in this (very cool! hyper ) video by Markk, he was having issues with the Doepfer quantizers he was using not always tracking the same. (FWIW I think this can happen with any quantizer if the raw voltage is right on the edge of the switching point . . .maybe! ;-)
VinceL
JohnLRice wrote:
I've never used a COTK quantizer but I've read that they license the circuit (or some such) from Doepfer and it essentially the same module.

I have also read that the COTK quantizer is just a repackaged Doepfer A-156 quantizer. When the COTK quantizer came out, I noticed that it had all the same controls/switches/jacks as the Doepfer.

I have used the Doepfer A-156 in conjunction with my Dotcom Q960's (I hate converting from 1/4" to 1/8" jacks very frustrating ). Every once in a while, it seemed like it hit a bum note...I just figured I had the CV knob on the Q960 set right at the threshold between quantization steps. Now that Dotcom has released the Q171 quantizer, my Doepfer A-156's sit idle.
acorkos
i have both doepfer a156 and cotk c958 quantizers. their operation is almost the same, with the only difference being the rocker switch on the cotk, allowing quantizer 2 to have the same scale/chord features as quantizer 1, instead of only semitone operation
VinceL
acorkos wrote:
i have both doepfer a156 and cotk c958 quantizers. their operation is almost the same, with the only difference being the rocker switch on the cotk, allowing quantizer 2 to have the same scale/chord features as quantizer 1, instead of only semitone operation

IIRC the Doepfer also supports this feature. But it requires moving a jumper on the PCB.
acorkos
right on...

"Module A-156 contains 2 quantizers. The factory setting
for quantizer 1 is a semitone grid (i.e. voltage
steps of 1/12 V, see fig. 1).

If the position of jumper J1 on the A-156 circuit
board is changed the first quantizer has the
same features as quantizer 2, i.e. the 3 switches
determine the behaviour of quantizer 1 as well."
acorkos
looks like i'll be drilling a hole in my a156 soon
phaedra
It is correct, that the COTK C 958 uses the internal technique of a Doepfer A-156 Dual Quantizer, just with the "jumper" on the faceplate (very practical btw).
bwhittington
I sold the Doepfer quantizer I had weeks after I bought it. Mainly for the - voltage issue.

Cheers,
Brian
suitandtieguy
what about the minor scale issue?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1