MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Weller W61 Soldering iron
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Weller W61 Soldering iron
TheBradster
Hey, anybody have any experience with this soldering iron? I've been looking for the WP35 and it seems next to impossible to obtain here in Norway. 60W seems like crazy power, but the Magnastat tips are supposedly very good at temperature control. Looks like it'll cost me around €80, which is acceptable.
slow_riot
I got a US model WES51 (using step down transformer which passes earth) when I was first starting out and it's still going strong, despite considering the alternatives. I've now moved to batch production using lead free and I still have no complaints. It's definitely worth spending a little extra for a model with base station and temperature control.
Jarno
80 euros seems reasonable, when I was looking for a soldering station I looked at Weller but found them to be pretty expensive. I wanted an auto shutoff feature, in case I forget to turn it off or get sidetracked (kids), and that feature was only present on megabucks soldering stations at Weller ("digital" as if that's so special in this day and age).
I went with an Ersa RDS-80, superb thing.
Veryfungi
I've never needed more than my trusty Ungar with screw in heaters. Been using it for 35 years. 95% of the time I use the 23w element. cool
chachi
i had two wellers die for no apparent reason. got a hakko 888 and never looked back.
search64
I’d spring for a Hakko as well. It’s a breeze to use.
TheBradster
Thanks for the replies. I have considered the Hakko FX888D although that is twice the price. A Weller station gets up to about 4x the price (here in Norway, anyway). I have a Maplin 50W adjustable iron at the moment, and a generous assessment of it would be that it gives sporadic results.

The idea of manually adjustable heat is great, but if I can control temperature by changing a tip then I think I'd see less of a need.
hamildad
I bought a WTCP 51 off Ebay and used it to make my TTSH and a few other things.

FWIW, I have spent time in many broadcast engineering rooms and they all used a Weller.

the Maplin I used to use....well, you are being generous with your review.
slow_riot
Irons with better thermal regulation like Metcal are designed to operate under variable thermal loads. But with a more basic iron like the Weller a variable temperature control will be essential for things like ground planes, bigger connectors like XLR or similar, compared to just small pads.
aabbcc
TheBradster wrote:
Hey, anybody have any experience with this soldering iron? I've been looking for the WP35 and it seems next to impossible to obtain here in Norway. 60W seems like crazy power, but the Magnastat tips are supposedly very good at temperature control. Looks like it'll cost me around €80, which is acceptable.

Im in Sweden and got my Hakko fx888d from Batterfly (italy) for 98 eur excl VAT, well worth it! Batterfly also has a good selection of tips for it smile

https://www.batterfly.com/shop/hakko_fx-888d
TheBradster
OK, guess I'm going to pull the trigger on the Hakko. BTW the Batterfly site looks great, thanks for that - stumbled across this item and considered skipping the soldering budget altogether: hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1