MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The new Moog reissues...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author The new Moog reissues...
SynthBaron
MindMachine wrote:

I very much miss his stories and karate moves.

I don't think they'll ever be another man like Kevin in the synth repair biz. No toleration for bullshit, and sticking to his guns.

Respect.
Rex Coil 7
Tom (Szakaly .. the OP) .... I've been using Alpha pots in stompboxes for nearly 20 years. I used them in commercially sold stompboxes since 2006, offered a lifetime warranty (roughly 500 produced), and never once had a warranty claim caused by failed or failing pots. Keep in mind, these are devices that get very little respect ... they are stepped on, spit on, have beer and vomit spilled on them, they get tossed in the trunks of cars, they get kicked, and basically are treated pretty badly sometimes. (I may have thickened up the drama a bit, but I made my point).

My own Dot Com synth is roughly eight years old and I've yet to have a problem linked to potentiometers (all of which are either 100K linears, or 1Meg linears for the EGs ... every single one an Alpha).

Regarding spending $15k (or more) on a Moog reissue ... that's between you and your conscience. I'm certain you have researched alternatives (MOS LAB, COTK, others) so it is most likely fruitless to suggest looking at alternatives to Moog. However, if the fact that Moog (today's Moog) has utilized Alpha pots is a deal breaker, perhaps they're not offering enough for your money in the first place.

At least with Alphas, you'd have zero problems with locating spares, or even having a few on hand .... just in case. It's not like finding chicken teeth as it is with locating NOS or even used Moog parts, get my drift?

Personally, I find it VERY odd that Moog (again, today's Moog) went to all of the trouble to have the switch sliders on the mixers (CP3) 3d printed so as to be able to match the look of the original R.A. Moogs but do the lead dressing like a box of hair.

To address the comments made about the PCBs having no solder masks or component values silk screened on the boards ... it IS about ~mojo~. I used the same type of PCBs in my pedals and pro players LOVED them. Some insisted that "vintage style" boards sound better. I don't care if they do or not, it's what was demanded, so I gave them what they wanted. Besides, I've never seen the need for component values on the boards ... it's very easy to populate PCBs that are not silk screened if you have the right documentation and know your way around your own boards.

Tom, I understand your reluctance, but perhaps you could try a few of the Alphas out and see what kind of return you get on the investment. After all, they're only about $1.50 each .... not much to lose there.

I have met resistance from members here regarding the curves used by Alphas vs the AB pots. But I'm not convinced the ABs are any ~better~ than Alphas in that regard. That too, may be a "cuz mojo" thing .... dunno really.

Think about it, Tom. After all, it's your money, you're the one that has to be happy with your choices. cool
noddyspuncture
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Think about it, Tom. After all, it's your money, you're the one that has to be happy with your choices. cool

Followed all your replies with interest and I think I have accepted the Alpha substitution... thanks guys.

Looks like I'll go for it... cool
TheDegenerateElite
Which reissue are you looking at buying?

I am really on the fence about pulling the trigger on a Model 15.

Well not so much on the fence as selling more crap to fund it.
Rex Coil 7
noddyspuncture wrote:
.... Followed all your replies with interest and I think I have accepted the Alpha substitution... thanks guys.

Looks like I'll go for it... cool
I cannot WAIT to see what you are picking up ... more than that, I really want to see what it is you end up doing with it! I already slobber over images of your R.A. Moog modular that has been lovingly and patiently set up for live performance use .... adding to it with even MORE Moog modular stuff can only promise to be a bunch better. Especially the way you use it all! What with your sequencers, S/H module, "Minimoog Voice Module", your own ~Tomscillator~ you made from scratch ... et al.

Right on man. thumbs up

Synthoholic
MindMachine wrote:
Kevin L. told me that Moog bought out all of his 'hard to find' parts inventory for the Keith Emerson copy and initial few new modular builds with the promise that they would also procure some of the more numerous original stock parts that now had 'equals'. According to Kev they never purchased the balance of parts and used some 'equals'. I honestly forget which unobtanium he was talking about or which equals. He said he could have sold the unobtanium parts for more on ebay but wanted to contribute to the rebuild and expected to sell Moog more parts. He was unable to do repairs by that time so selling was his only real income.

Not a lot of meat to chew on but that is what he shared with me.

My understanding was that they got the rarest of the rare parts without ever paying the remaining balance, and that he never would have even agreed to sell them those had he known they were for "reissues" rather than maintenance of the old ones.

And the Bucki 921a I had from 2008 used AB pots.
MindMachine
Synthoholic wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
Kevin L. told me that Moog bought out all of his 'hard to find' parts inventory for the Keith Emerson copy and initial few new modular builds with the promise that they would also procure some of the more numerous original stock parts that now had 'equals'. According to Kev they never purchased the balance of parts and used some 'equals'. I honestly forget which unobtanium he was talking about or which equals. He said he could have sold the unobtanium parts for more on ebay but wanted to contribute to the rebuild and expected to sell Moog more parts. He was unable to do repairs by that time so selling was his only real income.

Not a lot of meat to chew on but that is what he shared with me.

My understanding was that they got the rarest of the rare parts without ever paying the remaining balance, and that he never would have even agreed to sell them those had he known they were for "reissues" rather than maintenance of the old ones.

And the Bucki 921a I had from 2008 used AB pots.

He was taken advantage of for sure.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2