MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

power supply for europe and asia
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author power supply for europe and asia
gringz
Hi y'all,
i was looking into a power supply that i could use in europe and in other regions of the world like asia in particular, as i know voltages are not the same.
I know i could maybe changethe fuse in the power inlet, but is it the only solution ? (and is it really a good one?)
Thanks!
plushterry
It's not so much about the fuse (although it is still important), the thing you need to look out for is the input voltage rating of the PSU.

For example, some PSUs can take 110v-250v with no changes, others might have a switch where you select between different supply voltages.

It depends on the PSU, linear PSUs with a transformer are less likely to work in your situation because the output voltage is a ratio of the input voltage.

You are more likely to find a switching power supply that fits your requirements.

I'm not sure what the mains voltage in Asia is (I THINK it's 100v in Japan?!, you should check) , so you would have to check that the PSU you choose is suitable for supply voltages ranging from, say 100v-250v AC input.
gringz
thank you i think i understand what i'm looking for then. Would you have references of power supply that might do the job by chance?
plushterry
Well you need to be more specific really. What are you powering? What is the maximum load expected in amps? What is your budget? What countries do you want to use it in? Are you fussy about it being a linear or switch mode power supply?
JohnLRice
gringz wrote:
thank you i think i understand what i'm looking for then. Would you have references of power supply that might do the job by chance?
Like plushterry said, any of the switching type supplies that use an external power brick adapter will probably be the easiest to deal with. Without knowing your case size, type and power requirements it's not possible to recommend any specific supply.

But for reference:

TipTop Audio adapter:
http://tiptopaudio.com/3000ma-adapter/
http://tiptopaudio.com/uzeus/

Check out 4ms Row Power supplies too:
http://www.4mspedals.com/rowpow40.php
gringz
yes of course my bad, well at +/-12v i'd need a solid 2/3A, as for +5v, 1A should be enough. It's mainly to travel within europe and a bit asia, taiwan most of the time, japan some other time, oh and london as well! smile
JohnLRice
gringz wrote:
yes of course my bad, well at +/-12v i'd need a solid 2/3A, as for +5v, 1A should be enough. It's mainly to travel within europe and a bit asia, taiwan most of the time, japan some other time, oh and london as well! smile
Consider two 4ms Row Power 40 supplies. You can run them both off of a single power brick. That's what I have in my briefcase and it has been working out well, although i haven't used it an any other countries besides my own.
My case is using about 2428 mA +12V | 953 mA -12V | 175 mA 5V
gringz
thanks i'll look into that and see if the power brick could work on different countries !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1