MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dot Com Q123 Standards Mysterious Input Header
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Dot Com Q123 Standards Mysterious Input Header
Rex Coil 7
Here's another in the "Dot Com Mysterious Things" series. This time, it's an additional ~Input~ header found on the Q123 Standards module PCB.

When compared with the module itself, the module only has ONE input jack (the "ADD INPUT" jack). This additional "mix in" jack kindof implies that TWO "add" signals may be mixed together if one were to install a 2nd "ADD INPUT" jack to the control panel.

This makes me think that a 1v/oct signal could be mixed with another 1v/oct signal to transpose the first one .... think of using a keyboard signal to transpose an arpeggio or sequence using the Q123 as a "Precision Adder" or "Precision Mixer" of sorts. Play a sequence/arpeggio into "mix 1" and then use single key presses from another kybd played into "mix 2" to shift the arpeggio/sequence. Or one could use 2 sequencers, each one plugged into it's own "ADD INPUT" jack that would shift one another. Now THAT could be psycho cool!

Anyone know anything about this possible Easter Egg discovery before I pester Roger again?

NOTE: I'd like to point out that I have not been drudging through every single Dot Com data sheet looking for things to create threads about (hmmm .. perhaps I should?).

I noticed this anomaly when I began working out a new repanel for my own synth. The new repanel will be 2 rack units tall (3.5 inches) by 19 inches wide, with 17.5 inches of useful space. This works out to the same useful square area as about 3.85 MU module spaces (!!!). I have 2U available in a 12U rack I am using as part of my dual-cab synth setup (the redneck teck project synth found in the link in my signature). I want to use that extra 2U space to house 1v/oct signal modifiers (two Q105 Slew Limiters and two Q123 Standards circuits). I've already begun working it out and during the research needed to configure the new panel, I discovered these two "MIX INPUT" headers on the Q123.

(I've also discovered along my travels .... let's just say ~something fairly cool~ .... in another module, but that will be the topic of another entry in this series ... coming soon, stay tuned).

Anyhow ... I'm just sharing things that don't seem to have been previously addressed as I find them during my adventures in Dot Com synthesizer re-design for my project synth.

Thankies .....

WORD FROM THE BOOK OF FUNKAGE! thumbs up thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Ok, I've been patient. Anyone want to take a shot at what it may be? hmmm.....

I don't own a Q123 (yet!) otherwise I'd try the extra "ADD" input myself and report my observations.

Anyone? help
Eric the Red
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Anyone? help

Just add an input on your new panel, and label it “Mysterious Input”.. or “Down the rabbit hole”.

I wish I could provide more assistance on this, but I have no idea... :(
marfoski
Well, I've tried it for you, and it works exactly as you expected, but it's not that big a deal. The two voltages are added together, so for instance it's like using the two 1V inputs of a Q106, no more and no less, with the added bonus of the transposing knobs. But it can save some cords.
Rex Coil 7
marfoski wrote:
Well, I've tried it for you, and it works exactly as you expected, but it's not that big a deal. The two voltages are added together, so for instance it's like using the two 1V inputs of a Q106, no more and no less, with the added bonus of the transposing knobs. But it can save some cords.
Thank you for that. That module is now a "precision adder", as well as a precision transposer.

Again, thanks for the effort. thumbs up

(Excellent! .... now I'll add a second ~add~ jack to the panel I'm making up which will house two Q123s. Being able to transpose an arpeggio or sequence by adding another 1v/oct signal that is sent to 4 VCOs will be pretty cool!)

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Rex Coil 7
Eric the Red wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Anyone? help

Just add an input on your new panel, and label it “Mysterious Input”.. or “Down the rabbit hole”.

I wish I could provide more assistance on this, but I have no idea... :(
Mystery solved! Yet one more little thing discovered in the datasheets no-one knew of. Killa!

(unsubscribed - not mad or having a hissy fit - just trying to keep my number of subscribed threads under better control - if you wish to correspond please feel free to send me a PM, I'll be happy to hear from you - thanks!)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1