MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting mk4 how many playlists?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Disting mk4 how many playlists?
Hththt
Sorry if this has been covered
But how many playlists are there actually? Is there for example one for dual audio playback, one for pitch audio playback, one normal, one wavetable etc?
And each can hold 100 sounds?

I suppose loops have to be accurately trimmed but not saved with loop points?

Also if i rearrange order of algos to my favorites, i should rewrite the list for my own reference for example changing 1a to sample playback so things dont get messy?
os
There's a playlist for each sample playing algorithm, and a default that is used if the algorithm's own playlist does not exist.

Loops would need to be properly trimmed (or just retriggered constantly).

Not sure what your question is about favourites.
Hththt
Thanks os!
The favorite question was about that i read on here you could rearrange order of algos to customize disting. Oftm used algos up front etc. but if menue driving/jumkping to a desired algo has been eased up with the new model i think thats fine anyway.

One more question. Can a sample be effectively „chopped up“ by cv?
Lets say we have a sample that plays 16 notes of an instrument and we have a touch sequencer with 16 pads and cv dial in per pad.
Could the start point be moved by the cv tuning of the sequencer so we end up with 16 notes on 16 pads? Guinness ftw!
os
The start point can be moved, but it would play to the end of the sample, not until the next start point. In this case I think you would want 16 samples, selected by CV.
Hththt
Also, if you say for each sample playback algo....do you mean one list for normal sample playing, another for 1v/oct, another for dual sample playing etc? SlayerBadger!

Oh and any way now or in the future that the material that was captured with the recorder can be played back without any textfile change : on the fly?
Hththt
os wrote:
The start point can be moved, but it would play to the end of the sample, not until the next start point. In this case I think you would want 16 samples, selected by CV.

Wouldnt a touch pad act as a gate and the sample playback stopped when the pad is released?

Or no way to break the full sampl playback here?
os
Quote:
Also, if you say for each sample playback algo....do you mean one list for normal sample playing, another for 1v/oct, another for dual sample playing etc?

Yes, as detailed in the user manual.

Quote:
Oh and any way now or in the future that the material that was captured with the recorder can be played back without any textfile change : on the fly?

Not currently.

Quote:
Wouldnt a touch pad act as a gate and the sample playback stopped when the pad is released?

Currently all the algorithms use a trigger rather than a gate.
Hththt
Bit the bullet and ordered. What a versatile module. I see it as record shelf for a vinyl collection wich can feed a po 33 sampler.

One more question OS, i have a few 64gb samsung evo high quality micro sd cards. Any chance i can use one or is 32gb the max usable?
Hththt
One more..... preparing playlists now and womdering if i need to boost samples so they are actually usable in the rack?
os
You can use a 64GB card but you still need to format it to FAT32, which is 32GB max. You may need to partition the card.

Normalising samples might be an idea, but is by no means required.
Hththt
But are they somehow amplified by the Disting or wouldnt i have to treat them as line level and need to amplify within the rack? seriously, i just don't get it
os
I'm not quite sure where to begin with that.

Just try it smile It will all become clear.
Hththt
os wrote:
I'm not quite sure where to begin with that.

Just try it smile It will all become clear.

Allright. Cant wait

Uhm.... i need to ask sth more about sample playback and wavetables

1) if a playlist max is 100 and the wavetable playlist can take a giant wavetable chain alternative to single cycle samples....wouldnt it be extremely limiting to use single files in terms of maximum waves? Or in case of the wavetable playlist its 100 folders?

(Is there a template for the AKFW pack? I just saw a script wich i am not sure where to execute, mac terminal?)

2) leaning on the same principle of the wavetable vco wich somehow works with multiple sounds per waveform, how could i approach this in the sample player algos to use for example 40 notes of a piano.... is there a way not to hit the 100 max pretty fast? a sample chain cant be „chopped“ afaik so the wavetable vco does some scanning

Thanks Dead Banana
os
Someone posted the whole AKWF set with disting playlists already created, somewhere here on muffs.
os
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2592793#2592793
AndiSt
I would vote for a firmware update which allows using Disting audio functions without playlists at all. I understand why playlists have been introduced and what they do, but it's the wrong solution, IMO.
In my setup, the modular system is not connected to a computer. In my opinion, this is really what modular is all about (but I am aware that different opinions coexist, don't worry). As a consequence, I have practically given up using any Disting functions making use of playlists. I want to make music, not waste my time having to write text files (especially text files requiring line breaks which are not recognized by Windows computers). And I know that I am not the only one who thinks like that and mainly uses his Disting as a precision adder or similar unexciting tasks.
os
The playlists support Windows line endings.

The WAV playback algorithms require samples to be loaded from a computer. It's possible that future algorithms might support making the WAV files themselves in the modular, but that's not the emphasis of the current ones.

The technical reason for the playlists is that the alternatives (say, just dumping the files in a folder) require a surprising amount of extra code to search for the files. I would rather keep that code space free for more functionality.
AndiSt
os wrote:
The playlists support Windows line endings.

This is not my experience (and I do have the latest firmware).

Regarding playlists, I fully understand your points (I have some programming experience myself). But the playlists for me are like a piano which is advertised with "full keyboard" but the small-print that before playing certain keys, the strings have to be rewired and retuned.

I think the general issue here is finding a good interface connecting digital and analogue modular world. I think this is the core expertise of Expert Sleepers and I believe that we will see the Disting evolve even further in the future.
os
If you'd like to post a playlist that doesn't work for you, I'll let you know what's wrong with it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1