MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Banana to brass rods?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Banana to brass rods?
rodrigo
So I finally ordered a Plumbutter2 (yay!) and am excited to get to playing with it. To get ready for when it arrives I was shocked to see how expensive and difficult to get banana cables are in the U.K. so I wondered if there was a (DIY) solution to make brass rod tips that stick out.

I remember years ago seeing someone selling something like that (Meng Qi?) where it was a banana jack that just stuck out, for touching. What I’m thinking about is having protruding rods that you can use alligator clips with (which I have plenty of and always preferred).

Is there something along those lines?

(or does anyone have tips on cheap DIY cable solutions?)
ClausF
Check ebay for banana cables, works for me (in Germany).
sungja
Bugbrand has some reasonable priced banana cable options. I never tried them but seems like good quality vs price.

You can always buy cheap banana jacks on ebay and make your own or just clip on some alligators.
wednesdayayay
yeah I really enjoy the bugbrand cables
he makes them up himself so I bet you could get little odds and ends like posts for touching!

also grab some of the banana jack interface cables (banana => 1/8 for euro rack) if you have some eurorack

I bought pomona cable and some banana jack ends from ebay and put them together myself at first. They worked alright I only had a couple I had to pull out of rotation

that being said these bug cables are much nicer than the ones I could have done
thresholdpeople
Pomona makes these, and there's a variety of stud length, diameter, etc.

Not the cheapest thing, but no need to cut anything up: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pomona-Electronics/3264?qs=sGAEpi MZZMtTOasXncsdUSyEpyO6wEB12%2fMZwOHBaJQ%3d. Check the datasheet for more variations. I've used them for this exact purpose and they're great.

It's cheaper to just buy banana plugs and not solder anything to them, but you won't really be able to grab them with alligator clips because the diameter/shape of the barrel.
lud
Rapid electronics bananas are great - buy the plugs and cable separately and they screw together. So cheap and you can make your own lengths
rodrigo
ClausF wrote:
Check ebay for banana cables, works for me (in Germany).

Maybe I need to improve my searching chops as I only came across 50cm ones (or 1meter(!!) bundles).

sungja wrote:
Bugbrand has some reasonable priced banana cable options. I never tried them but seems like good quality vs price.

I had a look at those but after VAT and shipping it was close to £60 for 20 cables, which seems pretty high. (though I guess I'm new to banana cable costs and would have thought they were as cheap as alligator clips since it's just "test equipment" stuff).

thresholdpeople wrote:
Pomona makes these, and there's a variety of stud length, diameter, etc.

Not the cheapest thing, but no need to cut anything up: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Pomona-Electronics/3264?qs=sGAEpi MZZMtTOasXncsdUSyEpyO6wEB12%2fMZwOHBaJQ%3d. Check the datasheet for more variations. I've used them for this exact purpose and they're great.

Those look great, but indeed, pretty expensive, considering how many jacks are on a PB2.

Once they are seated in the banana sockets, do they wobble around or do they feel firm?

Any chance you can post a pick of your "threaded" PB?
notmiserlouagain
Rodrigo,they are expensive but worth it, buy quality once or cheap again and again... thumbs up
thresholdpeople
They're as stiff as any pomona banana plug in a jack. I find pomonas to fit a bit tighter than other connectors.. There's a couple of degrees of motion, depending on how deep they're interested, but they feel good, not like they'll slip underneath your fingers or hand. This is the great thing about bananas, I think, you can insert them as deep or shallow as you want, you can even pivot them when they're shallow for better ergonomics.

I didn't use them with a PB, but a Tetrax and Coco. It worked great, but it was a long time ago, and I can't seem to find any photos.. I do remember stick them into all the jacks on the Quantussy and putting down my palm.
jimmie
I have 4 -5 different kinds of cables but for the chord itself I like the Pomona best, even though it is a little tight that I managed to break one of sockets of DoubleKnot (re-soldered the sleeve). Pomona isn't available locally and was very expensive to import to Japan, 30-40 cables cost me near $300. Its stacking part is also the smallest to the other chords which I like. They also have very short cable (about 15cm) that's handy for Plumbutter's condensed jacks or DoubleKnots'. Other chords I have are much cheaper and locally available, but their cable is some vinyl feeling (kinda cheap) and because of that they get en tangled easily that I don't like.
rodrigo
thresholdpeople wrote:
They're as stiff as any pomona banana plug in a jack. I find pomonas to fit a bit tighter than other connectors.. There's a couple of degrees of motion, depending on how deep they're interested, but they feel good, not like they'll slip underneath your fingers or hand. This is the great thing about bananas, I think, you can insert them as deep or shallow as you want, you can even pivot them when they're shallow for better ergonomics.

I didn't use them with a PB, but a Tetrax and Coco. It worked great, but it was a long time ago, and I can't seem to find any photos.. I do remember stick them into all the jacks on the Quantussy and putting down my palm.

That's all good to know.

In terms of length, did they stick up much further than the knobs?

I guess I'm basically asking if this is a viable option as a "permanent" solution.
sungja
I bought dirt cheap banana plugs on ebay that is more than good enough for flesh patching or all7gators. Buy the ones that you can take apart, and thats it. You can get 10 of these for a buck. On top of the bare plug they are hollow so no problems using alligator clips.
thresholdpeople
There are 2 versions that are taller, and there maybe other varieties of these banana plugs which offer taller studs.. check out p/n 4512 or 4511. 4512 will have a thicker diameter stud than the other: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/159/d3263_64_4511_12_1_01-65780.pdf .

The length of that stud is 0.63" plus the transition from banana to stud, or most of it, 0.16" - so a bit more than 3/4" - I don't have any CL gear at the moment, but it should be just above the knobs, I believe. I don't remember knobs interfering when I did this last. If you need them taller, you can buy some threaded standoffs and thread them on top of the studs.
rodrigo
Ok, so for now planning a hybrid approach. Sourcing some second hand bananas and ordered some of those pomona threaded tip things. Given the PB2 has 88 jacks, it'd be a ton to go 'all in' on that approach and end up not liking it, so I got enough to maybe just use them on the Rollz with the intention of using coiled metal wires to 'smooth' onto them to create new patterns that way.

Will see.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!
wednesdayayay
see what you think I bet I've got a decent amount of just bare bannana jacks around somewhere I could send you via post

I'm sorry I didn't think of this earlier but the option is open as you have been an inspiration to me throughout several forums and for many years now starting with the old monome forum

I'm excited to see what you do with the PB
there are many ways to patch it up to be a fun jam buddy and/or processing pal
BugBrand
I'm going to sort out Rodrigo with some of my old ones -- I stopped making them up myself because life is too short! Instead I now stock custom made ones which I feel are a good balance of price & quality - not cheap, but not unreasonable. Plus they're available and come in a reasonable selection of colours and lengths.

I have tried many sources - always comes down, in my view, to a balance of feel/quality/cost/availability/colours.

I used to get the parts from Rapid and can share my feelings on the DIY bits:
[noting that I have largely slid away from using Rapid these days - they were bought out and I feel they have somewhat lost it -- also noting that prices in general have gone up at Rapid and elsewhere - sure the plugs used to be more like half what they are now..]

The wire I used to use - again, price considerations - some might go for silcone cable, but the price is a lot more.

These were my plugs of choice

These ones are cheaper but, frankly, crap - but good source for touch-posts (I sent some to Meng-Qi with his Chirper)

I think the PJP and SKS ones are good, but typically more expensive.

I think I tried these and quite like them - though a bit bulkier than what I previously used.

As far as ready-made cables go, I liked these ones but then they stopped doing the various colours and lengths.
rodrigo
What a useful post!

Definitely good to know all that stuff.

And thanks for digging out some other old ones you DIYed, that will definitely get me going for a while smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1