MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Issue with DIY Mutant Hihats
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author Issue with DIY Mutant Hihats
Mugsy1999
Just finished assembling the module. It powers on fine, and sending a trigger to the closed input makes a decent closed hh sound at the output, if a little quiet. Led works fine on that side.

On the open side, triggers do cause the led to light up with what looks like the decaying envelope, but no audio at output. changing the pots doesn't have any effect on this. If I toggle the filter switch a few times though it shuts the whole module down and i have to power cycle to get back to normal.

I've visually checked the joints, transistor orientation and IC orientations and adjusted the trim up and down with no effect.

Advice on what to check next?
- learn how to test the 3904 and 3906 transitors?
- is there a schematic anyone has that would help measure voltages in what is presumably a somewhat separate closed hh side of the module?
- start reflowing everything in sight?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks
hexinverter
Mugsy1999 wrote:
Just finished assembling the module. It powers on fine, and sending a trigger to the closed input makes a decent closed hh sound at the output, if a little quiet. Led works fine on that side.

On the open side, triggers do cause the led to light up with what looks like the decaying envelope, but no audio at output. changing the pots doesn't have any effect on this. If I toggle the filter switch a few times though it shuts the whole module down and i have to power cycle to get back to normal.

I've visually checked the joints, transistor orientation and IC orientations and adjusted the trim up and down with no effect.

- is there a schematic anyone has that would help measure voltages in what is presumably a somewhat separate closed hh side of the module?

Hey there!

Sorry to hear you're havin' troubles with it. Using the schematics (emailed to you), you can trace the noise signal from its source, through the filter, and see where it is disappearing. Since you seem to have a decaying envelope and LED action happening, perhaps that section is working ok.

The filter switch making something crash is a pretty interesting clue. Perhaps there is something amiss in the filtering section or maybe even after it.

Also worth mentioning is that depending on the height of the capacitors installed in the middle of the PCB sandwich (and height of spacers selected as well), some folks have had the tops of the metal cans of electrolytic capacitors shorting out pins on the PCB sitting above it. After the Hihats design, I started to suggest low-profile electrolytics anywhere they might interfere. So that's something to watch out for!

Best of luck nanners
Mugsy1999
Thanks! digging into this now
ronski
Hi a few of us had a similar issue.
It was because Mouser packed 2.2 Ohm resistors into 22M ohm packages.
You might wanna check the 22M resistor and see if it's really a 22M resistor.
Well, that is if you bought from mouser and they've still kept on making the same mistake ;P

Mugsy1999 wrote:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1