MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is it possible to damage a module with a patch (Model 15)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Is it possible to damage a module with a patch (Model 15)?
Skotchi
What the title says.

I have a Model 15 and I’m wondering if it’s possible to damage a module via a poorly chosen patch. I realize this is a really broad question, so if it’s not really answerable without more specifics, no problem.

The reason I ask is because I was messing around trying all kinds of stuff I’d never tried before (don’t recall exactly which combinations I tried, but a lot of it was taking outputs of modules and putting them into their own inputs), and now I’m finding that, when I try to use my keyboard, the triggering seems to be the inverse of what I would expect: the note seems to trigger when I release a key instead of when I press it down.

Thanks for any insight.
pulse_divider
Possible? Theoretically maybe. Probably not.

The Moog uses S-trig and most keyboard gates send out V-trig, which would cause the behavior you describe. What keyboard are you using?
Skotchi
pulse_divider wrote:
Possible? Theoretically maybe. Probably not.

The Moog uses S-trig and most keyboard gates send out V-trig, which would cause the behavior you describe. What keyboard are you using?

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Moog 953.
pulse_divider
I've never used one but from what I can see on their website, the 953 seems to be S-trig only. Is it possible you have the envelope running through the CP3 and are using the inverted output?
Skotchi
pulse_divider wrote:
I've never used one but from what I can see on their website, the 953 seems to be S-trig only. Is it possible you have the envelope running through the CP3 and are using the inverted output?

I don't believe so. I've got it set up as per the standard keyboard setup in the manual that comes with the machine. Here's a photo:

CZ Rider
The only thing that looks strange in that patch is the final VCA fixed control voltage is at 3 volts. So it should be playing a constant drone? Set at zero it should behave normally and only sound when a key is down.
Skotchi
CZ Rider wrote:
The only thing that looks strange in that patch is the final VCA fixed control voltage is at 3 volts. So it should be playing a constant drone? Set at zero it should behave normally and only sound when a key is down.

Yeah, I was trying a number of different things and neglected to set it back to zero before taking the picture. When at 0, it's silent when the key is down, and triggers when the key is allowed back up. Also, it continues to sound when the key is up, regardless of the envelope settings (again, when the VCA fixed control voltage is at 0).
ualslosar
Hi -
You may wish to have a look over at the Moog Music Forum. There is a discussion on this topic over there that may help

Look for:
SynthBaron
Try this:

"3. Because the triggers on a Model 15 are
wired differently from a System 35 and 55,
your 953 keyboard can be set to adapt to
either type of system. To do this:
Model 15: When using your 953 for the
first time, press and hold the D3 key while
powering ON your Model 15.
Release D3 2 seconds after power-on. This setting is remembered by your 953."
Skotchi
ualslosar wrote:
Hi -
You may wish to have a look over at the Moog Music Forum. There is a discussion on this topic over there that may help

Yeah, I was also on the thread in the other forum :-) So, in that instance, it ended up being a defective keyboard. Moog sent me a new one, and everything had worked perfectly until just this week. I guess perhaps it could be the keyboard again?

For what it's worth, the behavior I'm seeing now is different than the behavior I was seeing with the original defective keyboard. In that instance, the keyboard would only trigger on the second press of a key.
ualslosar
<<Model 15: When using your 953 for the
first time, press and hold the D3 key while powering ON your Model 15.
Release D3 2 seconds after power-on. This setting is remembered by your 953.>>

Does this work for every startup, or just the first one, do you know?

Thanks
Larry
SynthBaron
Sounds terrible for hope of future reliability if that's two people experiencing the same issues.
SynthBaron
ualslosar wrote:
<<Model 15: When using your 953 for the
first time, press and hold the D3 key while powering ON your Model 15.
Release D3 2 seconds after power-on. This setting is remembered by your 953.>>

Does this work for every startup, or just the first one, do you know?

Thanks
Larry

I assume it's kept in some kind of flash memory as a permanent setting unless you change it.
Skotchi
I called Moog and it turns out there's another "secret" startup key combo for my inverse trigger issue: you hold down the 5th C for about 5 seconds before powering up.

Problem solved SlayerBadger!
Mark11Audio
Skotchi wrote:
I called Moog and it turns out there's another "secret" startup key combo for my inverse trigger issue: you hold down the 5th C for about 5 seconds before powering up.

Problem solved SlayerBadger!

Glad to got it resolved, cool to know about the "secret startup" as well... I also have a 953...

applause applause applause applause applause applause applause thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1