MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Non Bugs controller / sequencer for controlling bugs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Non Bugs controller / sequencer for controlling bugs?
chrisdermo
I know a lot of the modular users are using the seq1 / ctl1 and clocking, dividing, logic, active switches etc with their Bugs for movement - but what are people favouring for control / sequencing when those are not available?

I'm not keen on my beatstep pro workflow, even though it's dead simple the press this and this to do that type thing grates on me. Meng qi voltage memory is being repaired too, I like using that but only one gate out with the 6 cvs is kinda limiting. I also like using a Korg sq-1 but no saveable patterns or easy recall isn't so great.

Not dying for something new immediately, more curious what people are using?
indexofmetals
I'm using my eurorack setup and connecting the ground with a synovotron CVGT1 (ARC TKB, verbos multistage and sequence selector, pair of 2hp tune quantisers, mult's and pamela's new workout). Next up are some cv recorders, really want the 4 channel Analogue Systems one as it has a cv card.
chrisdermo
Verbos Multistage looks very nice indeed. Very very nice. The various TKB's have always interested me but something in the back of my mind always tells me I'd not enjoy using one.

You don't need to convert voltage standards from eurorack to bugs do you? Just using the synovotron for a simple way to connect ground in this instance?
hank
chrisdermo wrote:
Verbos Multistage looks very nice indeed. Very very nice. The various TKB's have always interested me but something in the back of my mind always tells me I'd not enjoy using one.

You don't need to convert voltage standards from eurorack to bugs do you? Just using the synovotron for a simple way to connect ground in this instance?

If you're in the Atlanta, GA area you're welcome to try my TKB sometime.

I usually use an Elektron Analog 4 or a TKB for sequencing, but I've had good luck with an Octatrack into Kilpatrick Phenol for sequencing and midi-to-cv respectively as well.
BananaPlug
TKB is great, especially the touch contacts but when you talk about "seq1 / ctl1 and clocking, dividing, logic, active switches etc" I think that kind of patch leans towards more variety. Are you looking for straight ahead song structures or more of a genereative thing?
indexofmetals
chrisdermo wrote:

the multistage is the same as the verbos buchla 247v module. I believe his modules are full 10v range. I just use tom's adaptor cables and the synovotron for the ground.

I'm trying to use the tkb & verbos sequencer modules like Suzanne Ciani did in the 70's with buchla marf and 246. the tkb can be a lot of fun, sorta like a bigger bug touchpanel.
batchas
I did not try much with other gear cause I have what you describe for sequencing in the blue system, except with the 243v gate sequencer in the buchla, works fine.

I have the same feeling with the Beatstep Pro I bought and never used much because of the outputs and also the workflow, even if size and functions are ok.

I also understand your comment about not sure you'd enjoy the TKB. It was the same before I tried it and played a bit with it when I got the Paperface. Which btw changed my way of playing with my Serge system and the style of music I do on it. We hear it in the last patches since a few months.
The 4 rows of 16 steps make it quite powerful. I use it also as a gate sequencer (full CCW/full CW).
I also like the 2 x reset inputs on it.
And the vertical out is a nice add. I still did not modified mine, but the vertical row makes sense IMHO when you can see which row is active, by having a LED per row as control.
Actually I realise by listing what I like that every function on it is great and useful!

Better the best for clocking, seq, dividing, logic etc. all in one from an external source (not BugBrand I mean) would be the Serge SWAMP.
Again I did not use with the BugBrand, but I'm having a lot of fun with it in my Serge (there's not one patch where it's not active). Even more since I do use the shift register function from the Gated Comparator on the panel with all its functions (like the Loop for instance).
This plus the sequencer on it and the Pulse Divider and the Logic part. Even the Digital Noise is now in a lot of current patches.
a100user
Eurorack or 4U stuff, beatstep pro and via midi/cv converter DAW etc
BugBrand
I've enjoyed the Sonic Potions LXR with trigger I/O for clocking duties - it feels nicer to me than the BSP (got rid of mine) and is great with quick setup of probabilities per step.

Also got a Doboz TSNM to build sometime..

As you know, clocking (broad term) has always been important to me and things are moving towards an initial Clocking Frame - no seq as such in this frame, but might revisit the old 2BitBinMux idea in the future - no linear is something I like, you know!
DickMarker
Like you, I've got the Voltage Memory - it's a very versatile unit but not without it's limitations. Have you used the gate sequencer mode much?

I tend to work in a way that doesn't rely on sequencing as the backbone of a song or idea but rather as elaboration or detail to be added as and when - other than Bugbrand, I do most of my work on a big old 12u Analogue Systems rig but even then I tend to use lfos, dividers, s&h and mixers and utilities to create patterns rather than straight up sequencers. I've always been intrigued by the ASys CV recorder mentioned above but never yet got my hands on one.

That said, I hacked my Minibrute to sequence rather than arpeggiate and that's proved to be quite a nice little controller as a result - rests are super fun!
chrisdermo
Ah lots of replies! love

Quote:
If you're in the Atlanta, GA area you're welcome to try my TKB sometime.

That's a wonderful offer thankyou, sadly I'm in London UK. d'oh! Going to try make my way to the Brighton Modular Meet this year and pray that there is at least some non-euro fun things to try out. Planning on taking my bugs there too.

Quote:
TKB is great, especially the touch contacts but when you talk about "seq1 / ctl1 and clocking, dividing, logic, active switches etc" I think that kind of patch leans towards more variety. Are you looking for straight ahead song structures or more of a genereative thing?

I like both, but for the 'straight ahead' sequencing style i tend to prefer something bog standard, selectable length up to 16 steps, preferably with one set of switches/knobs per sequence so no need to press buttons to switch to different instruments. The most fun step sequencer I ever played was Metasonix D1000 so maybe I should just get a Metalbox gate sequencer for that functionality.
In terms of something more generative or changeable, I am missing this sorely since I got rid of my double knot! I am looking forward to getting something (DDSR etc) to bring this back! I loved combining the shift register sequencing with a standard step sequence.

Ok so after batchas' very helpful reply as well there is clearly lots of love for the TKB. Maybe I should pick up a THC kit and build one slowly. Would need to research how to power it as I don't plan on picking up any more serge. I do very much enjoy gestural playing as well. Something to think about.

Quote:
Also got a Doboz TSNM to build sometime..

This one intrigues me a lot, but I have nothing to house it in and won't be getting a euro 4u system any time soon. Let us know how you like it when it's built!

Quote:
As you know, clocking (broad term) has always been important to me and things are moving towards an initial Clocking Frame - no seq as such in this frame, but might revisit the old 2BitBinMux idea in the future - no linear is something I like, you know!

Yep - waiting for these clock frame modules patiently Mr. Green I have just about 11fw spare now that I have passed on my chirper so my rack and my wallet are almost in sync for their eventual release.
As I meentioned before 2bit bin mux intrigued me, 3 bit seems like it would really kick it up a notch!
chrisdermo
DickMarker wrote:
Like you, I've got the Voltage Memory - it's a very versatile unit but not without it's limitations. Have you used the gate sequencer mode much?

Been having a nightmare situation with my VM, one of the outputs died and I sent it away to be fixed but the builder/repair person couldn't find any reason for the lack of output whatsoever, and they cleaned up the internal wiring so it's nice a neat inside now - however when I got it back i plugged it in and it started smoking cry, it's now back with the (very friendly, nice and generous!) builder who is basically rebuilding it from scratch with new boards. This situation is probably why I have the itch because I was using the VM on everything all the time and I've been without it for about 6 weeks now! I only ever used the gate sequencer once or twice but now I have a more percussive workflow with my bugs I intend to use it extensively once I have it back. Seems like it would be perfect for off beat and weird beats that are asynchronous except their loop point.
DickMarker
chrisdermo wrote:
DickMarker wrote:

Been having a nightmare situation with my VM, one of the outputs died and I sent it away to be fixed but the builder/repair person couldn't find any reason for the lack of output whatsoever, and they cleaned up the internal wiring so it's nice a neat inside now - however when I got it back i plugged it in and it started smoking cry, it's now back with the (very friendly, nice and generous!) builder who is basically rebuilding it from scratch with new boards. This situation is probably why I have the itch because I was using the VM on everything all the time and I've been without it for about 6 weeks now! I only ever used the gate sequencer once or twice but now I have a more percussive workflow with my bugs I intend to use it extensively once I have it back. Seems like it would be perfect for off beat and weird beats that are asynchronous except their loop point.

I had to repair mine twice now also - both times same problem - the six outputs would just output weird fixed cvs that didn't change no matter the position of the dial.

The first time I sent it back to Meng Qi, the second I just did it myself - it was one of the tiny smt ICs, the first one in the row that correspond to the six outputs. Both times it had fried, still don't know why?
chrisdermo
DickMarker wrote:

The first time I sent it back to Meng Qi, the second I just did it myself - it was one of the tiny smt ICs, the first one in the row that correspond to the six outputs. Both times it had fried, still don't know why?

Yeah I had that issue when I first bought it off another wiggler, eventually replaced myself (badly) but it worked. Now its the fifth output.... replaced that DAC for that one but didn't work seriously, i just don't get it A fresh build of the main pcb salvaging the arduino and other little board inside from the old one will hopefully sort me out!
Illwiggle
Ive not been taking to the BSP myself either, just pulled out my MFB Urzwerg Pro sequencer out.......curious about how that might do; it does do 10v gates, can be 4x8 step or 2x16
chrisdermo
Illwiggle wrote:
Ive not been taking to the BSP myself either, just pulled out my MFB Urzwerg Pro sequencer out.......curious about how that might do; it does do 10v gates, can be 4x8 step or 2x16

Been looking at those, a little vid would be good if you have the time thumbs up
dogoftears
don't overlook the Lorre Mill Double Knot. I've made entire tracks driven by her. this whole album was sequenced with DK (and often driving other bug sequencing modules)--
https://soundcloud.com/dcoffset/sets/goatsession01

Cirklon with CVIO-- endless possibilities
Elektron A4-- really powerful actually, direct jacking, voices are a bonus, mk1's going for cheap cheap cheap. you get true LFOs and envelopes with this setup.

those be my suggestions.
ninGiaBoom
dogoftears wrote:
don't overlook the Lorre Mill Double Kong.

Yeah. Seems the Dk works well with Bugs nanners Rockin' Banana!
BugBrand
ninGiaBoom wrote:
dogoftears wrote:
don't overlook the Lorre Mill Double Kong.

Yeah. Seems the Dk works well with Bugs :nana: :bananaguitar:

Still never tried one, but there's distinct similarities to the not-too-distant DDSR - digital shift registers for rhythmic joy.
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:

Still never tried one, but there's distinct similarities to the not-too-distant DDSR - digital shift registers for rhythmic joy.

This is why I didn't hesitate to get rid of my DK! Found the actual voices on it kind of dull. Apparently there's a redesign in progress now, been waiting for his 'keyed mosstone' for quite some time - touch based binary keyboard with banana jacks.

dogoftears wrote:

don't overlook the Lorre Mill Double Knot. I've made entire tracks driven by her. this whole album was sequenced with DK (and often driving other bug sequencing modules)--
https://soundcloud.com/dcoffset/sets/goatsession01

yep already played these recordings a lot from way back when you first put them up, love 'em!

As a general rule I don't do well with things that require screens, I keep trying things out that I like the sound/look of, and can never bring myself to put the time into nailing the workflow - I have a low attention span it seems hihi
BananaPlug
The DK is something I kept getting involved with for a while then getting frustrated with certain aspects of it, putting it aside and later repeating that process. I finally let it go and today I heard that it will be the buyers THIRD DK. Food for thought?
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:
The DK is something I kept getting involved with for a while then getting frustrated with certain aspects of it, putting it aside and later repeating that process. I finally let it go and today I heard that it will be the buyers THIRD DK. Food for thought?

I've bought and sold twice.... agreed it's shortcomings are really frustrating!
dogoftears
hehe i'm confused by the "shortcomings" of the DK... never found any... i use it for what it offers and find it to be very entertaining. i also think the voices have a unique richness to them, especially at higher frequencies.

totally looking forward to whatever his next thing is.
batchas
chrisdermo wrote:
Ok so after batchas' very helpful reply as well there is clearly lots of love for the TKB.

w00t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj8scIBfCwA
a100user
batchas wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:
Ok so after batchas' very helpful reply as well there is clearly lots of love for the TKB.

w00t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj8scIBfCwA

I actually have an STS Serge TKB that sits unused at present having sold my three BOCGS panels with the PSU and power distribution board.

Something to address in the future.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2