MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

To Studio or not to studio... [case change]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author To Studio or not to studio... [case change]
Faustgeist
Hi gang, I would love yalls thoughts on switching to a new case. When I began my adventures in 5u I grew case by dotcom studio 22 case.

Now I a sitting at 5 twenty-two's, equal to 'ze upright 110 dotcom studio case.

My presentation is two cases high x three wide. (Pic below) A bit of a space hog horizontally. Going a third tall would make the highest row nigh unreachable (on my 30 inch support tables.) Without bracketing the third case would also be too wobbly to patch without the constant fear of tipping over. As well, future expansions pushes me even more horizontal.

So, temptation.

Moving this system to a full dotcom studio case would 'upgrade' by giving me modules at angles and compact the set up to only two 22-case wide. The height mitigated by the studio case design.

I am not one to have modules at knee height and below, as I feel I would ignore low patching and don't sit when I noddle. confused

Filling a 110 would be immediate, allowing future expansions to convienently go into the left over 22s. The con being portability.

The change up would cost about $2,500, with PWR. That's not really part of my deliberating as I could save and otherwise deal. To me it a question of ergonomics, aesthetics, and, well... what do you think?

Has anyone made this switch? Regrets? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!
-Robin

ranix
I bet you could fit more modules in that room if you kept the cases you have and replaced the table with a nice 44-space walnut cabinet
JohnLRice
Sweet setup and lovely room! (nice high ceilings! love )

I think the DotCom studio racks would definitely look nice in that classy room of yours. I can't think of any downsides, except you might have a few modules you can't place in the bottom or top rows because of the slant? (with the 22's modules go straight in so the only issues are over all depth, especially where the power supply is, as you are obviously well acquainted with! ;-)
Faustgeist
Hi Ranix, I hear ya... I have thought about 19 inch racks below for studio effects and non 5u.

I have a habit of standing when I patch and being tall... believe I won't use modules out of reach - so to speak. I am, on the other hand, considering a significant expansion of this room, dedicated for modular. I am not an engineer nor a 'musician' so this expansion is really just more wall space and dedicated power circuits. But I might have the ability to add modest elements and need to give thought to how I can effecient interface with the gear I have. Even if that is just better cable hangers, lol.

I will enlist the sagacious experience of a local recording studio for help/advise. But modular is not in their wheelhouse. Any pic of your ideas?

-----

Hi John, long time admirer of your contributions to muffs!

Excelent point on the depth limitations. I will research what that is, as a few pcb standoff plates I have are indeed deeeeep.

An approach I would love to pursue is custom studio cases all the way around... and will dream up some ideas. Though the dotcom studio cases are, imho, classic looking... and quick. Rockin' Banana!

If anyone has pics they can point me to - for custom cases larger than 110s, that would be great! hyper[/b]
ranix
there are some nice 19" Moon cases. I have two of them racked in a 19" two-post networking rack on wheels. It's a pretty good solution because I can pull it out to get to the back when I need to. But I also like my walnut cabinet, and I also want a few portable cases like the ones you have. I think there's no one killer solution to all the problems.

this is what my system looks like right now more or less

hsosdrum
When I originally bought my 44U DotCom system a year ago I ordered it in two 22U portable cabs like you have. Almost immediately I came to regret not purchasing it in a single 44U studio cab. My reasons were:

• I didn't like having the module front panels recessed an inch into the cabinet. It made patching more difficult for me.

• I really didn't like the placement limitations imposed by each cabinet's 11U width.

• I really, really didn't like how "tippy" the cabs turned out to be when patching the top rows of modules. Plus, I live in earthquake country, and this lack of stability made me realize that expanding the system upwards with more P22 cabs wouldn't be safe. And my synth is in a very small (8' x 8' x 8') room, so expanding horizontally is impractical.

• I really, really, really didn't like having to waste 1U of space on the front of each cabinet for a power module.

SO, about 5 months later I ordered a 44U studio cabinet and transferred everything into it. I was IMMEDIATELY glad I did so, for the following reasons:

• I have 22U of width to play with, which allows unrestricted module placement (except for my Moon 524/524A combo, which is a smidge too deep to go in the bottom row).

• The thing is rock solid, and has never budged so much as a millimeter during patching. (It weighs around 75 lb loaded with modules.)

• The modules are nearly flush with the front of the cabinet.

• Because I don't have my synth placed up against a wall, I don't have to waste any front-panel spaces on power modules—I have them all mounted on the 4U of additional spaces on the rear panel.

• It upped the synthesizer's OA (over-all awesomeness) factor by around 1000%.

Since making the changeover I sold one of my P22 cabs to a fellow wiggler, and still have the P22 that contains the power supply, so if I ever want to go portable, I can fill it with a selection of modules and throw it (and and a bunch of patch cords) in the back of my car.

Here's my synth in its original portable cabs:

Here it is in the studio 44 cab (with a new DotCom keyboard):

And here it is in its current incarnation (66U and growing):

Based on my personal experience, I think moving to DotCom studio cabs would be a great idea, but of course, YMMV.
JohnLRice
Faustgeist wrote:
Hi John, long time admirer of your contributions to muffs!
Thank you kindly! cool
MrNezumi
The obvious solution here is to get rid of the Eurorack stuff that is taking up a lot of space that could be used for 5u.

hihi
Faustgeist
Hsosdrum, great set up and excelent points! I had no idea studio cases offered more forward panel positioning. Great summary of your path, and exactly what i am hoping for.

My kingdom for a local modular retail store. It's a flipping dream to demo 5u gear. Ha!

And totally, I would recoup valuable space by having rear mounted power distro. The 22u design options are new teritory, which I certainly welcome,

-----

Rainx, now THAT is a 19inch rack set up! Looks great and your mix of formats is cool. Do you use a patch bay between the 1/4 & 3.5mm or..?
ranix
nope, right now I just have 3.5mm -> 1/4" patch cables
Faustgeist
Rgr that.
hsosdrum
Faustgeist wrote:
I had no idea studio cases offered more forward panel positioning.

Neither did I when I originally bought my system, but having a full 22U of width lets you mount 2U-wide modules directly in the center of the cabinet (in positions 11 and 12), which is not possible with two 11U-wide cabs. The more 2U-wide modules you have the more likely this will prevent placing everything exactly where you want it.

Even though I currently have only one 2U-wide module occupying positions 11 and 12 (a Q106A oscillator in the bottom row), if I had to move it out of that position it would alter the logic of my workflow quite a bit, forcing lots of other modules out of my preferred positions for them.

Faustgeist wrote:
My kingdom for a local modular retail store. It's a flipping dream to demo 5u gear. Ha!

If you're ever here in Southern California be sure to give yourself at least a half a day (not Wednesday or Sunday) to visit Noisebug in Pomona. The last time I was there they had a Moog 35 on display that you could play with (probably the only store in the USA that offered that luxury), along with tons of Moon modules. The guys there are super-knowledgeable and eager to help you get the right gear.
umma gumma
interesting thread!

myself, I am trying to decide between a 3x14 case setup, or a 2x22

expanding with a second 3x14 beside, would give a 28 wide system ( plus edges of the cases )

otherwise stacking two 3x14 might be too tall?
Eric the Red
When I actually get around to finishing any modules, and my project as a whole, it is going to be pretty large.

I’ll have 3-cabinets, each one will be 3-rows high (15u), but the widths are different. 1x24u and 2x17u. I have them at a slight angle, but from one end to the other it is about 9ft.

Here is a photo from the back - much easier to photograph from here, and this side is currently cleaner..

My basement is split in half, with the back half where I a man sitting as an office, and the other side is the Synth cave.. the Modular is the room divider.

Also,it’s 157u the case on the left has room for some rows of Euro modules.

Still to do is to build a proper studio table.
umma gumma
Eric, that looks pretty nice!!
bwhittington
umma gumma wrote:
interesting thread!

expanding with a second 3x14 beside, would give a 28 wide system ( plus edges of the cases )

I'm 5' 9", and 5 rows high on a 30" table is about the max for me. You could be taller, or you could lower the table height to accommodate 6 rows (IKEA has great options for adjustable tables), or you could expand with 2x14 cases on top of your 3x14 cases.
Rex Coil 7
Member *Faustgeist, my, what a beautiful synthesizer studio you have to work with, first of all. It's quite clear you are a man of wealth and high taste, and it appears as though your home is beautifully decorated as well, respectfully speaking. That ain't no shotgun shack.

I would offer the following set of notions for you to take into consideration;

Casually add up the amount of monetary value that your MU modules represent, that said, think of what that investment is owed in the respect of the cabinetry it needs to be housed within.

I'd put forth the idea that custom cabinets would be a very appropriate tack on rehousing your MU module collection. To be quite honest, you may even save some money. A Synthesizers.Com 44 space walnut cabinet is going to cost over $800.00 to get it home. Keep in mind there is a crating fee, as well as shipping added to the initial price. I live in Arizona, at first guess I'd say I live closer to Tyler Texas that you do. I've had quotes from Dot Com given to purchase the 44sp Studio, at each time it nearly hits $900.00. For one.

With the expanse of your MU system, if you have custom furniture grade cases built they could be designed around a proper power distribution system. Rehousing modules is the time to redesign the power system, and upgrade it to better suit the thousands of dollars worth of modules mounted in the cabinets. I am a major proponent of bus bar style power distribution and high end power supplies. Now is the time to take uprating your modular synth to upper echelon power systems.

You are presented with a wonderful opportunity, since you're enthused about upgrading your cabinetry you may take advantage of the situation and have cabinets built around a far better power system, as well as creating the presentation your see in your mind's eye.

So, look in to having an apex power system designed for you (or if that is within your skill set begin working it out yourself) and then have new furniture grade cabinets built that will suit the upgraded power system. Anytime a cabinet is designed, it is always best to design the power system first and accommodate the modules and aesthetics second. Power should take priority.

If memory serves me correctly, there are many skilled and experienced furniture builders in your reasonably immediate region.

There's my answer to your proposed open question.

Be well, live each tick of the clock and enjoy every breath, and have an excellent day.

Brian.
Rex Coil 7
hsosdrum wrote:
.... And here it is in its current incarnation (66U and growing):

Damn dude .... you keep on watering that thing and it's gonna hit the ceiling. lol

It's really coming along nicely! Classy looking. Powerful.

thumbs up
Flareless
What RC7 said about Faustgeist's studio got me thinking along the lines of Hans Zimmer's studio...

Instead of cases perhaps built-ins are the way to go.

(image by Professional Studios @ Mainroom)
burdij
I am not a big fan of the slanted studio cabinet. I tend to stand when patching so the difference between a slanted and flat front is not significant. My system (88 MU) is housed in four single row 22 MU studio cases. Each case has a power distribution module panel on the back and power is distributed through Speakon type 4 pole connectors. The entire power system is shielded and has noise filtered power distribution panels. Every other cabinet has an active noise filtered switching power supply that distributes power to its own cabinet and one other. Each supply can source up to 150 Watts.

I am currently working to install cabinet plates on pairs of the cabinets to connect them together. These use thumb screws that screw into threaded inserts installed in the ends of the cabinets so no tools are needed to attach them.

On the upper cabinet of each pair, I am routing a pocket in each end of the cabinet to house recessed folding handles that will allow for portability when that is needed. This setup is not really a single person lift as the cabinets are fairly heavy but a lot of the weight was shed when I exchanged the linear power supplies for the switchers. And isn't that what roadies are for?

The two pairs will also have a set of cabinet plates to connect them together when set up in the studio to form a solid stable 4 cabinet high unit.
Rex Coil 7
Flareless wrote:
What RC7 said about Faustgeist's studio got me thinking along the lines of Hans Zimmer's studio...

"For Sale ... multi capable synth with many manufacturers involved, mounted in a three bedroom, two bathroom case, Great neighborhood, good schools nearby, beautiful landscaping with automatic watering system, solid power and sound proofed room with independent temp control. Human skulls negotiable".

lol

(I've unsubscribed - I'm not upset or having a Midol moment - just trying to keep my number of subscribed threads under better control - if you wish to correspond please feel free to send me a PM, I'll be happy to hear from you - thanks!)
hsosdrum
burdij wrote:
I am not a big fan of the slanted studio cabinet. I tend to stand when patching so the difference between a slanted and flat front is not significant. My system (88 MU) is housed in four single row 22 MU studio cases. Each case has a power distribution module panel on the back and power is distributed through Speakon type 4 pole connectors. The entire power system is shielded and has noise filtered power distribution panels. Every other cabinet has an active noise filtered switching power supply that distributes power to its own cabinet and one other. Each supply can source up to 150 Watts.

I am currently working to install cabinet plates on pairs of the cabinets to connect them together. These use thumb screws that screw into threaded inserts installed in the ends of the cabinets so no tools are needed to attach them.

On the upper cabinet of each pair, I am routing a pocket in each end of the cabinet to house recessed folding handles that will allow for portability when that is needed. This setup is not really a single person lift as the cabinets are fairly heavy but a lot of the weight was shed when I exchanged the linear power supplies for the switchers. And isn't that what roadies are for?

The two pairs will also have a set of cabinet plates to connect them together when set up in the studio to form a solid stable 4 cabinet high unit.

I would love to see some photos of this setup, John, especially as you make these changes to it. (I bet Rex would be interested in "in-process" photos as well!) thumbs up
Faustgeist
Aw jez, thanks Rex, My previous life was as a professional photographer and decorating is in my blood. Perhaps I'll post pics some time of my skull collection, heheheh.... zombie

twisted And let me confess this for sure... I am merely a dedicated student - who has a lot to learn. Phew, non stop apparently. smile

I pulled the trigger on the dotcom studio 110 cases, but will evolve the look and interface further as the days (and years, gah!) slide by.

You mention power, do you have thoughts on exactly what should be behind a full 110 set up? I would say the breakdown of my system is 80% dotcom, 10% Oakley, 5% Moon and 5% other. Only digital is the SSL effects. I will have power conditioners and indeed amp/volt meters in line to the studio case transformer, when that is set up.

Thanks for you time! ~R

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Member *Faustgeist, my, what a beautiful synthesizer studio you have to work with, first of all. It's quite clear you are a man of wealth and high taste, and it appears as though your home is beautifully decorated as well, respectfully speaking. That ain't no shotgun shack.

I would offer the following set of notions for you to take into consideration;

Casually add up the amount of monetary value that your MU modules represent, that said, think of what that investment is owed in the respect of the cabinetry it needs to be housed within.

I'd put forth the idea that custom cabinets would be a very appropriate tack on rehousing your MU module collection. To be quite honest, you may even save some money. A Synthesizers.Com 44 space walnut cabinet is going to cost over $800.00 to get it home. Keep in mind there is a crating fee, as well as shipping added to the initial price. I live in Arizona, at first guess I'd say I live closer to Tyler Texas that you do. I've had quotes from Dot Com given to purchase the 44sp Studio, at each time it nearly hits $900.00. For one.

With the expanse of your MU system, if you have custom furniture grade cases built they could be designed around a proper power distribution system. Rehousing modules is the time to redesign the power system, and upgrade it to better suit the thousands of dollars worth of modules mounted in the cabinets. I am a major proponent of bus bar style power distribution and high end power supplies. Now is the time to take uprating your modular synth to upper echelon power systems.

You are presented with a wonderful opportunity, since you're enthused about upgrading your cabinetry you may take advantage of the situation and have cabinets built around a far better power system, as well as creating the presentation your see in your mind's eye.

So, look in to having an apex power system designed for you (or if that is within your skill set begin working it out yourself) and then have new furniture grade cabinets built that will suit the upgraded power system. Anytime a cabinet is designed, it is always best to design the power system first and accommodate the modules and aesthetics second. Power should take priority.

If memory serves me correctly, there are many skilled and experienced furniture builders in your reasonably immediate region.

There's my answer to your proposed open question.

Be well, live each tick of the clock and enjoy every breath, and have an excellent day.

Brian.
Faustgeist
Good god damn!

Thats... thats..... GAH! we're not worthy

Well, my humble system will be even better with YOUR new modules, Flareless wink

Flareless wrote:

Faustgeist
Hiya Umma,

As I am moving forward with studio cases, I will actually have spare 22s for sale/trade. If you are interested feel free to shoot me a PM and we can chat. Mine are used/mint quality (with or without power).

Not sure if I am going to actually 'market' these on the sales thread... more casual right now.

Cheers man,
~Robin

umma gumma wrote:
interesting thread!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2