MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pulsar-23 by Soma
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Author Pulsar-23 by Soma
Bobby
platform wrote:
Correspondence from Soma says that they are hoping to ship some during September.

I think I am in the first batch so hopefully I can pay before the UK leaves the EU causing the price of the Pulsar to be beyond my means. I do feel guilty for worrying about this as I know that Brexit has already and will place a lot of people in a position that is much worse than worrying about boutique audio gear.

I feel worse about the fact I helped create a small part of the internet and that it is now used to deliver hate and fear. We all have demons to live with but wanting a drum machine is one I'm less worried about.

(....Gerald Donald was right)
Panason
Bobby wrote:

I feel worse about the fact I helped create a small part of the internet and that it is now used to deliver hate and fear. We all have demons to live with but wanting a drum machine is one I'm less worried about.

(....Gerald Donald was right)

You were/are just one of many cogs in the machine of anti-social media. You could feel less bad if you gave away the money that you made doing that... (instead of buying Cwejman modules, mwa ha ha twisted ).
What is more tragic/comic is that those who warned about what was about to happen were laughed at at the time by the drinkers of the Silicone Valley Kool Aid.
Panason
Vlad posted on GS 14 hours ago and said first units shipping in September. Dead Banana
hangars liquides
I have some questions, some of which may have been answered already, sorry if so...

- which dsp the sfx is processor is based on ? would there be a possibility to upload some new algos ?
- how many trigger patterns can be stored ? could they be dynamically adressed ? (i.e. shortening their duration, jumping between them, etc)
electricanada
hangars liquides wrote:
I have some questions, some of which may have been answered already, sorry if so...

- which dsp the sfx is processor is based on ? would there be a possibility to upload some new algos ?
- how many trigger patterns can be stored ? could they be dynamically adressed ? (i.e. shortening their duration, jumping between them, etc)

He’s made some comments about inserting into the cv recordings, but I haven’t been able to infer anything at all about that from looking at the panel. I would guess there is one pattern per instrument.
Panason
It's not a CPU based machine so those things are probably not on the menu. As far as I can tell it's using simple trigger recorders that loop around and there seems to be no way to mess with the recordings, unfortunately. There is no USB port so changing the FX would need hardware modification...unless there is an internal USB port but there has been no mention of anything like this.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
ItThere is no USB port so changing the FX would need hardware modification...unless there is an internal USB port but there has been no mention of anything like this.

or use MIDI transfer
hangars liquides
Yes Anselmi.. or even playing an audio file into some inputs the way Mutable Instruments update their firmware...
Panason
anselmi wrote:

or use MIDI transfer

I would rather stay in bed. Dead Banana
hangars liquides
Got those fresh news from Soma, to whom I asked the questions I was trying to get an answer here : (snare rolllllll..... ///// !!!!)

1- after a recording takes place, there will be a 16th note quantize function.
2- the fx , 2 independent dsp engines will not be user upgradeable, but since you can modulate many of its parameters, we doubt you'll run out of interest possibilities and results.
3- There will be four banks containing 4 channels of available loops and yes they have cool features such as abilities to jump and punch-in recording/deleting from one to another.
Bobby
The manual!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cb7AWZQGrgik55-PGLMCSMZO9X0T3C6N/view
behndy
murrrrr i am READY.

TAKE ME.
Panason
please, no help
Quote:

The patch-point design and specially calculated input impedance make it easy to use the artist’s body as a connecting cable.

Simply remove the protective sleeves!
electricanada
Bobby wrote:
The manual!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cb7AWZQGrgik55-PGLMCSMZO9X0T3C6N/view

Can't wait to hear the cucumber fork patch.
Panason
Some interesting bits from the manual:

Quote:
Looper Recorder memory is volatile. When the Pulsar is turned off, the contents of the memory are reset.

Quote:

While LR has a basic quantize option for individual LR channels, it does not allow for step-by-step editing of a rhythmic pattern. .....

...The recording resolution is 96 events per pulse of the clock signal, which for a standard situation is 192 events per sixteenth note.

Quote:

Please remember that the looper-recorder has a clock up-sampling process that needs a little time for setting. The first few dozens of milliseconds after MIDI clock start can be inaccurate. To avoid this, the timespan between stop and start on your DAW or sequencer that feeds MIDI-clock to Pulsar, has to be at least 5 seconds (then the up-sampling system stops to wait for the next clock pulse and saves the previous value that will be used after clock start).

I think this means that if you stop your MIDI sequencer and start it again without waiting at least 5 seconds, you may get a timing glitch. This is the only manufacturer I have ever seen that mentions such a clock issue in their product , in the product's manual! applause
Quote:

If the SHAOS clock is very fast, the generator will start working in the audio range and can be used to synthesize complex waveforms.
eek! eek! eek!
Quote:

pulse converter — designed to convert rectangular signals into short pulses
suitable for triggering synthesis modules. Designed to work with the clock divider, but can be used in various experiments.

The bass synth uses a DCO.

Quantizing a loop recording will stop playback.
Quote:
will quantize the content of the channel to 16 notes. The LR will stop when this operation is performed.
Bobby
Really hoping the DCO ain't quantised (to trad tuning) I've asked on Facebook and eagerly awaiting a reply.

Edit: the loop recorder stuff doesn't worry me. I have a sequencer for that.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
Quantizing a loop recording will stop playback.
Quote:
will quantize the content of the channel to 16 notes. The LR will stop when this operation is performed.

what?

so it doesn´t have real time input quantization?
or it means that if you are running the looper and engage quantization it stops but then when played again it records quantized events in real time? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

from the manual:
Quote:
BANK + L + M + one of the sensors (ADD or DEL) of the desired LR channel — will
quantize the content of the channel to 16 notes. The LR will stop when this operation is
performed. To start it again, use the start function. For the quantize function to work correctly,
please make sure that the LR is aligned with the clock dividers!! To do this, press the
RST button on the CLOCK module before recording, and\or connect the LRST pin to the
0.25 output of the clock divider, and use a metronome during the recording!
Panason
It sounds to me like it always records unquantized, and because the recorders are high res, you really have to play in time as your mistakes will be captured. This is a tricky design choice ... and since the quantization is only straight 16ths, this will need to be sequenced from another sequencer, for a lot of people.

Also... is there a way to apply high pass filtering to the bass drum??? I have found that pretty much indispensable for analog kicks, esp. with a little resonance... I would have gladly sacrificed some other features to have a resonant HPF in the BD channel.
Perhaps the HPF from the HH channel can be hi-jacked razz for the job?

Price is 1500 euro (excluding VAT, taxes, shipping).waah
Bobby
It ain't got a sequencer people. It has loop recorders. This seems to be the source of confusion imo.
behndy
yeahhhhhh. i mean. Vlad added a quantization option after there were complaints/requests, and now people are bitching about the implementation? use MIDI if you want quantized results?

i am SO excited for this thing.
anselmi
Bobby wrote:
It ain't got a sequencer people. It has loop recorders. This seems to be the source of confusion imo.

yeah, I read this but what the heck does it means? it´s an audio looper? event looper? both? none?

behndy wrote:
yeahhhhhh. i mean. Vlad added a quantization option after there were complaints/requests, and now people are bitching about the implementation?

yes, because this is not what we want

IMHO what this machine needs is a real time input quantize option, that it´s a very basic feature that you can find in a zillion devices from decades ago

OK, "it´s a looper, not a sequencer"...yeah, but in use it behaves as a pattern sequencer, so I think it should be a way to implement it

i.e. : add AND processors to the drum triggers, attached to the clock divider, so it just triggers each drum just when both the trigger touch plates AND a clock pulse are present

I´m not an engineer so this is just the only basic/idiot solution I can think of, but I imagine that somebody who can create such a piece of gear is way more capable of make it happens

Quote:
use MIDI if you want quantized results?

nope...I don´t want to attach a sequencer, I want to use the looper with a simple input quantize option....why? because of WORKFLOW...I like all-in-one gear and this machine would be perfect with this option

and I´m sure I´m not the only one that think this way...sadly the maker seems to not catch what we want

Quote:
i am SO excited for this thing.

lucky you
electricanada
Pulsar is designed to respond "organically" to touch input, and to record that input into loops. It's not designed to be a drum pattern computer. It's a new and different paradigm, and you guys want it to be something it's not.

I like the new paradigm. I much prefer it to boring drum sequencers. I like that Vlad is doing something new and different. I like that he's not allowing himself to be forced into old conventions by people who lack the self-discipline to develop basic musicianship, and who thus require a machine to correct their own technical deficiencies.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
Pulsar is designed to respond "organically" to touch input, and to record that input into loops. It's not designed to be a drum pattern computer. It's a new and different paradigm, and you guys want it to be something it's not.

I like the new paradigm. I much prefer it to boring drum sequencers. I like that Vlad is doing something new and different. I like that he's not allowing himself to be forced into old conventions by people who lack the self-discipline to develop basic musicianship, and who thus require a machine to correct their own technical deficiencies.

this is because you (maybe Vald too) think that the only way to get "organic" results should be something that is not quantized

this is an electronic instrument, so why it should be "organic" just because it has an unquantized way or recording?

if I want organic I play a drum kit, a cajon or a tupperware...and WOW, this is unquantized, and also have an infinite number of sound responses to my touch, way more than any electronic instrument

also: if it´s the paradigm, why add MIDI control? just let the thing be played "organically"

in this context, ask for input quantize is nothing strange...it´s part of an device that have some limitations in their conception as an "organic" electronic instrument
electricanada
How can you implement quantization in this unit in any way other than what Vlad has already done? In this environment, quantization has to be after the touch, meaning that the first touch must always be "organic". It is impossible to be otherwise, given the fundamental laws of time and space. It's a loop recorder; it cannot predict the future in order to quantize it. For that, you would need a computer into which you program rhythms instead of performing them.

This is a performer's machine, not a programmer's machine.
Panason
electricanada wrote:
It's a new and different paradigm, and you guys want it to be something it's not.

Don't drag me into this, I'm just quoting the manual for things that people need to know.
I get Vlad's vision but I also think Anselmi's request is totally reasonable. having to stop the playback to quantize, limits what musical styles you can improvise live with the Pulsar on its own. Pretty much all of electronic music containing beats has relied on machine quantization from day one..

You can have realtime input quantization, but yeah it probably needs a CPU. Triggers simply play on the next clock subdivision, depending on your quantization setting.

It's no big deal for me as I don't need a drum machine, and wouldn't improvise drumming live on static pads, I'm more interested in this as a drums-and-bass synth module and sampling fodder.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Page 16 of 21