MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pulsar-23 by Soma
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Author Pulsar-23 by Soma
behndy
f'shiggs. i'm not saying that people shouldn't say how they want a device to be but.... maybe pay attention at root what device the DESIGNER wants it to be? if you look at everything Soma Labs puts out, Vlad has a very distinctive approach to music instrument interface.

"yes, because this is not what we want"

"IMHO what this machine NEEDS is a real time input quantize option, that it´s a very basic feature that you can find in a zillion devices from decades ago"

"and I´m sure I´m not the only one that think this way...sadly the maker seems to not catch what we want"

Vlad DID listen to what people were asking for, took the effort to add it. instead of appreciating that, having a response of "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER." seems a bit..... childish?

there's a billion drum machine options, if the designer's vision doesn't jell with with what you want, find one that does?

lol. or. like. if you know exactly how a device should work in every conceivable aspect, build your own?

i am beyond excited to get my hands on a Soma Labs idea of a drum machine.
Panason
...but he didn't use block capitals and didn't say "wrong, make it better"...

I'm pretty sure there will be ways to use the LFOs and clock dividers to make all kinds of intricate quantised rythms in whatever timing you want... I hope so at least.
electricanada
Better to think of this machine in the same category as Plumbutter. No one would dream of asking Blasser to put a quantizer on that beautiful baby.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
How can you implement quantization in this unit in any way other than what Vlad has already done? In this environment, quantization has to be after the touch, meaning that the first touch must always be "organic". It is impossible to be otherwise, given the fundamental laws of time and space. It's a loop recorder; it cannot predict the future in order to quantize it. For that, you would need a computer into which you program rhythms instead of performing them.

I already answered this...you can quantize the triggers before reach the register (looper) just using an AND processor

Quote:
This is a performer's machine, not a programmer's machine.

meh

behndy wrote:
Vlad DID listen to what people were asking for, took the effort to add it. instead of appreciating that, having a response of "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER." seems a bit..... childish?

what looks really childish or somewhat neurotic is your answer, man
looks like you are like angry because I asked for a feature...is it your company or maybe you are a friend or relative to Vlad?

In any case, what´s wrong to ask for a feature in a public forum or to have an opinion about something 100% on topic?

and please use quotation marks to literal writing, I never wrote this stupid phrase "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER."

you did

electricanada wrote:
Better to think of this machine in the same category as Plumbutter. No one would dream of asking Blasser to put a quantizer on that beautiful baby.

well, categories are subjetive...as well as the use that people gives to gear...ask roland and the tb-303

and I never liked the sound of the Plumbutter so no having quantization never bothered me...I do like this machine a lot and please, I´m just asking for a feature that doesn´t violate human rights or something
electricanada
anselmi wrote:
electricanada wrote:
How can you implement quantization in this unit in any way other than what Vlad has already done? In this environment, quantization has to be after the touch, meaning that the first touch must always be "organic". It is impossible to be otherwise, given the fundamental laws of time and space. It's a loop recorder; it cannot predict the future in order to quantize it. For that, you would need a computer into which you program rhythms instead of performing them.

I already answered this...you can quantize the triggers before reach the register (looper) just using an AND processor

Quote:

meh

I don't think it's that simple given Vlad's model of real-time adding and deleting. If it were possible, he would surely have done it.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
anselmi wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Quote:

meh

I don't think it's that simple given Vlad's model of real-time adding and deleting. If it were possible, he would surely have done it.

or maybe he doesn´t understand that this is a required feature

anyway, let stop speaking by him (unless you are part of the company and know what he is doing)

as long as I understand by reading the manual the so called "looper" doesn´t record audio, but "events" instead...so "looper" is just a fancy name for a sequencer, and the manual also called it a "sequencer" sometimes

the fact that it doesn´t have any other edition than delete doesn´t stop it to be a sequencer

the SP-1200 (and SP-12) have the very same approach to rhythm construction and nobody called it the SP "looper"...it just a sequencer,
and it have real time input quantize

and no, it´s not a technological miracle, nor use a tachyon-based processor to travel forward in time and knows what you are going to play
chvad
"it´s a very basic feature that you can find in a zillion devices from decades ago "

That might be the very reason he's not interested in it. Who knows? I'm def in the camp of I don't care about quantizing. Mainly because I have that option all over the place in my setup. Even if I didn't I'm pretty sure I'd still be interested in the designers preference. Especially Vlad's. IMO that's what I'm paying for.

On the other end of things you have boxes like the Deluge and Synthstrom are total badass' about adding features that consumers want and such but they're radically different pieces of hardware and in many many ways.. i believe they will compliment each other incredibly well.
behndy
anselmi wrote:

and please use quotation marks to literal writing, I never wrote this stupid phrase "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER."

you did

meh. i thought it came across as i meant it, me paraphrasing your silly stance, my bad if it wasn't clear. nope. you did not literally say that.

lol. not angry at all. and homie, i could hardly care less about your opinion. i don't know you, from all your whinging on i don't care to know you, i was just expressing my opinion about how annoying and frustrating it must be for a builder to be told what he must include on his machine.

make your own right?
Bobby
Thing I've always liked about capitalism is that it offer choice to buy the shit you like and not buy the shit don't like. Don't like it. Don't buy it. Simple, why waste your energy.
behndy
Bobby wrote:
Thing I've always liked about capitalism is that it offer choice to buy the shit you like and not buy the shit don't like. Don't like it. Don't buy it. Simple, why waste your energy.

exaaaaaaactllllly!

i LOVE that there's so many options. pffffft. its amazing that such a niche device can get so hyped that people are invested in it's relevant merits.

delicious yet SALTY.
oldgearguy
behndy wrote:
Bobby wrote:

exaaaaaaactllllly!

i LOVE that there's so many options. pffffft. its amazing that such a niche device can get so hyped that people are invested in it's relevant merits.

delicious yet SALTY.

As someone pointed out earlier, the line of products from Soma so far have been fairly eclectic. There's a particular orientation to them towards live interactive use. Fair enough. That may be great for some folks and a burden to others.

The good news is that based on those earlier products, there's no reason to be an early adopter of the Pulsar. Lots of people will buy it initially and then in a month or so, some subset of them will be put up for sale because they simply didn't get along with it.

It's the same way for other niche products. Personally, I'd rather see companies take chances and do different things and let the gear buying public decide what's worth owning (or not).

No piece of gear is going to be perfect for everyone. There's always going to be some trade-offs and that's why the used market is thriving. You don't really know if some piece of gear is going to work for you until it's in your hands and in your studio setup.
Panason
Hmm , looking at the clock divider, it only offers straight subdivisions. 1/4 , 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... so it may not be possible to patch up more funky rhythms without external sequencing.

If a drum machine is beyond Vlad's scope, I think a smaller (and cheaper) version geared more towards studio use would be nice. Simpler trigger pads (eg fixed velocity), no loopers, and with a few more semi-normalled connections, e.g. not having to patch to get sounds out of the individual outs.

The way it looks now is that you do need to patch if you want individual outs... the 6 output jacks are "freely assignable", which I don't really understand the reason for.
oldgearguy
Panason wrote:
Hmm , looking at the clock divider, it only offers straight subdivisions. 1/4 , 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... so it may not be possible to patch up more funky rhythms without external sequencing.

If a drum machine is beyond Vlad's scope, I think a smaller (and cheaper) version geared more towards studio use would be nice. Simpler trigger pads (eg fixed velocity), no loopers, and with a few more semi-normalled connections, e.g. not having to patch to get sounds out of the individual outs.

The way it looks now is that you do need to patch if you want individual outs... the 6 output jacks are "freely assignable", which I don't really understand the reason for.

I saw that too. I guess you could want to patch a module to more than one output, or maybe patch the output of some sub-section, or (depending if it's really a straight wire connection between pins and jacks) you could use them for external inputs (audio or cv).

I agree that it seems like an unnecessary level of patching, but what's another 6 connections on top of the other 100+ ?
electricanada
anselmi wrote:

the SP-1200 (and SP-12) have the very same approach to rhythm construction and nobody called it the SP "looper"...it just a sequencer,
and it have real time input quantize

and no, it´s not a technological miracle, nor use a tachyon-based processor to travel forward in time and knows what you are going to play

There is no machine that can quantize a late hit in real time. That requires time travel. The AND gate method mentioned above simply deletes any hits that aren’t in grid time, which is hardly conducive to groove.
electricanada
Panason wrote:

Looks like you can get weirdness very easily. But it would have been nice to be able to play in basic meters like 3, 5, or 7 without having to leave the box.
Panason
electricanada wrote:

There is no machine that can quantize a late hit in real time.

No but there is the next best thing, which is to play everything on the next clock subdivision after the trigger input, depending on a chosen quantization value. So that a late hit plays even later but is on the grid.
And this can get fine-tuned by allowing hits that are only late by a tiny fraction to play unquantised...

I think Vlad chose the tech that he did because it gives the most rapid response for live playing. Judging by what he writes in the manual, that seems quite important to him as he writes that it's almost as instantaneous as hitting a real drum. He's clearly much more into devices as performance instruments rather than sequencer based things.

The problem with this for me is that those small metal pads aren't the kind of surface I could play percussion on and I'm not a finger drummer...so I'd still use MIDI or trigger pads.... and I just realised I could feed it the audio from my Wavedrum.... hmmm.....
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
There is no machine that can quantize a late hit in real time. That requires time travel. The AND gate method mentioned above simply deletes any hits that aren’t in grid time, which is hardly conducive to groove.

as I said before, I´m not an engineer, but you can use a parallel system that let the drum be triggered immediately but recorded quantize...this is the way it works in most sequencers with input quantize

behndy wrote:
meh. i thought it came across as i meant it, me paraphrasing your silly stance, my bad if it wasn't clear. nope. you did not literally say that.

"silly"? why writing about a feature that I think this device lacks, is silly?

Quote:
lol. not angry at all. and homie, i could hardly care less about your opinion. i don't know you, from all your whinging on i don't care to know you, i was just expressing my opinion about how annoying and frustrating it must be for a builder to be told what he must include on his machine.

you write a lot for somebody who don´t care
please, do what you say and ignore my opinions!

Bobby wrote:

what I love about internet is to use my time and freedom of expression to write whatever I think in a forum that is supposed to be for exactly this

honestly I don´t understand why all you people get bothered by my own opinion about this device...it´s not a disrespectful one, nor an attack to your own opinion, not even I asked to get rid of a feature that you like

but regardless of any of this, I only read people who speak for the designer, as if they were part of the company or close friends of him.

Said that, I´ll back to the topic...still think that this machine could be improved by the add of switchable real time input quantize, that (apart from offending susceptible people) don´t make the unit less capable, just better to some potential users
Mr. Sound Boy King
What we can recall in the event of the "Pulsar" from SOMA is that one does not need to recognize it as "superior" or "inferior" compared to one another's opinion.

The fact it exists surpasses the imagination of the weak because of Historical Factors in Russia as well as Poland (read a book if you don't believe me). That's where this is manufactured or made.

I agree with those who have said here "make your choice" as if choosing is real. The universe, being pre-ordained by god or Jesus or whoever, does not exactly decide for us what we do but hindsight is 20/20. So if you already have owned a Pulsar I will listen to your opinion from the future. But if not, not.

Essentially, everyone wants a voice inside their electronic gear which is why so many feature requests and bugs have already been reported here. That is why instead of talking to your friend on the phone or rather, writing a letter as in days of yore, one puts one's voice into the Pulsar on the Internet.

Do not mistake the Internet Pulsar for the one which sits on your desk (already if you are one of those chosen in the future) for they are different and require a different register of linguistics to speak of. That is why I haven't pulled the trigger...
chvad
aaaaaaand SCENE. that's a wrap everyone. great job. see you tomorrow on set.
echologist
All I know is Im ready to pay... SlayerBadger!

The demos have been all the convincing I need.
Bobby
anselmi wrote:
electricanada wrote:

as I said before, I´m not an engineer, but you can use a parallel system that let the drum be triggered immediately but recorded quantize...this is the way it works in most sequencers with input quantize

behndy wrote:

"silly"? why writing about a feature that I think this device lacks, is silly?

Quote:

you write a lot for somebody who don´t care
please, do what you say and ignore my opinions!

Bobby wrote:

what I love about internet is to use my time and freedom of expression to write whatever I think in a forum that is supposed to be for exactly this

honestly I don´t understand why all you people get bothered by my own opinion about this device...it´s not a disrespectful one, nor an attack to your own opinion, not even I asked to get rid of a feature that you like

but regardless of any of this, I only read people who speak for the designer, as if they were part of the company or close friends of him.

Said that, I´ll back to the topic...still think that this machine could be improved by the add of switchable real time input quantize, that (apart from offending susceptible people) don´t make the unit less capable, just better to some potential users

I'm not bothered..Id just like the thread to stay on track and maintain a positive discussion about what the box does have rather than it fill up full of bullshit.about what it don't got.

Edit. Like I ain't saying don't comment on things you'd like to see but really. This thread is about 50% shit about the non sequencing features of the loop recorders.
Panason
So Vlad is from the future? Is there some electronic mysticism going on under the hood? IS THIS ALIEN TECH FOR TRANSMITTING TO THE MOTHERSHIP?

....I still think HPF on the bass drum is needed though w00t
slam
Panason wrote:

The manual says you can connect several of them together and they are summed.
behndy
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:
What we can recall in the event of the "Pulsar" from SOMA is that one does not need to recognize it as "superior" or "inferior" compared to one another's opinion.

The fact it exists surpasses the imagination of the weak because of Historical Factors in Russia as well as Poland (read a book if you don't believe me). That's where this is manufactured or made.

I agree with those who have said here "make your choice" as if choosing is real. The universe, being pre-ordained by god or Jesus or whoever, does not exactly decide for us what we do but hindsight is 20/20. So if you already have owned a Pulsar I will listen to your opinion from the future. But if not, not.

Essentially, everyone wants a voice inside their electronic gear which is why so many feature requests and bugs have already been reported here. That is why instead of talking to your friend on the phone or rather, writing a letter as in days of yore, one puts one's voice into the Pulsar on the Internet.

Do not mistake the Internet Pulsar for the one which sits on your desk (already if you are one of those chosen in the future) for they are different and require a different register of linguistics to speak of. That is why I haven't pulled the trigger...

RIDE THE CRUMBLY SHUTE OF THE GODDESS FORK.

or, i FEEL you my little love bunny.

Bobby wrote:
Like I ain't saying don't comment on things you'd like to see but really. This thread is about 50% shit about the non sequencing features of the loop recorders.
anselmi
Bobby wrote:
I'm not bothered..Id just like the thread to stay on track and maintain a positive discussion about what the box does have rather than it fill up full of bullshit.about what it don't got.

Edit. Like I ain't saying don't comment on things you'd like to see but really. This thread is about 50% shit about the non sequencing features of the loop recorders.

sorry, but one man's shit is another man's gold.

In the past I have been warned by other users about the lack of features or certain specifications (that was negative) of a product, and that was valuable information from which I decided not to buy or wait for a solution

What seems absolutely unnecessary are your answers about you want to me stop talking about it.

If what you want is a place to praise certain manufacturers without somebody who can criticise them, please write them a personal email. It is not necessary to call of "bullshit" the opinion of members of this forum that are totally valid although they clash against your own for whatever reason you could have.

So I´ll keep comment whatever I want no matter you like it or not, as long as it is on topic and does not lack respect for anyone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Page 17 of 21