MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pulsar-23 by Soma
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Author Pulsar-23 by Soma
behndy
lol. right? that email..... was..... hard.

TEASE.
gosh
Glad it's not just me that thought that! Bastards wink
electricanada
What email? I didn’t get one....
RickKleffel
The email was for owners of the Pipe; SOMA now has a device by which it can be easily mounted on a mic stand, which may be the holy grail of "game changer" for some [prospective] users [buyers]. I told them to ship mine with the Pulsar and they told me [on 10/22/19] the Pulsars would be shipping in a month or two at most so I sprang for now.

As for Pulsar, I'd much prefer they "take their time and do the quality job" than rush it out underdone. I'm guessing they won't be software upgradeable, or not easily so, thus better they get it super-right the first time. Looking forward to running it with the A4Mk1, etc. Fun!
behndy
of COURSE. i am all the impatient to own one, but i trust in Vlad. i don't think he would put something out till it's ready.

hence my DESIRE.
muddy ranks
RickKleffel wrote:
...they told me [on 10/22/19] the Pulsars would be shipping in a month or two at most...

I'm probably waaayyy down on preorder list, but this is good to know.
Jee
didn't catch up 19 pages... I see in the manual a splendid black version... did soma say if it will be available in multiple colours? (at least black but I wouldn't be against a white one to go with my LYRA-4)
It might be more than a year i'm on the list now... wait is long (surely for the best!!)
lionel
Black orange and white
RickKleffel
Announced in Facebook, they’re shipping!
behndy
woot! EXCITING!
Bobby
Vlad also said only about 100 in the first batch. I’m in the first 100 on the list but haven’t received a mail yet. Dying of excitement!
SOMA Labs
HI Guys,
I see looong discussion on about Pulsar's quantisation function with "why it doesn't quantize the performance on the fly and needs a special process that stops playing?"
Some explanations:
A usual midi sequencer records a timestamp of a note beginning and for quantizing it you need just to correct that figure to the nearest specified integer note, that is very easy. Pulsar is a kind of virtual tape recorder that records ALL manipulations with ALL sensors, including velocity during each note in real time. It lets you do a lot of things that are impossible with a usual midi recorder - you can change the velocity DURING the note (one note can have different velocity inside), you can play a long note and then chop it using DEL pad during the next run etc. All it has sense cause PULSAR recognize sustain time as well. But it has a drawback - one note takes a huge amount of information in the recording memory. And quantization process is like I need to cut a tape by each note and shift these pieces one by one to correct position sample by sample in our case. It takes a lot of computations. So it's impossible to make on the fly - the MCU has to go offline, otherwise, we lose the beat. So please don't compare it with usual sequencers that record just several bytes for each note. PULSAR looper\recorder has different design and provides other possibilities, I hope you will appreciate it when you will get your hands on and try. Thanks wink
chvad
Bobby wrote:
Vlad also said only about 100 in the first batch. I’m in the first 100 on the list but haven’t received a mail yet. Dying of excitement!

lol im 108 and chomping at the bit for sure lol.
anselmi
SOMA Labs wrote:
HI Guys,
I see looong discussion on about Pulsar's quantisation function with "why it doesn't quantize the performance on the fly and needs a special process that stops playing?"
Some explanations:
A usual midi sequencer records a timestamp of a note beginning and for quantizing it you need just to correct that figure to the nearest specified integer note, that is very easy. Pulsar is a kind of virtual tape recorder that records ALL manipulations with ALL sensors, including velocity during each note in real time. It lets you do a lot of things that are impossible with a usual midi recorder - you can change the velocity DURING the note (one note can have different velocity inside), you can play a long note and then chop it using DEL pad during the next run etc. All it has sense cause PULSAR recognize sustain time as well. But it has a drawback - one note takes a huge amount of information in the recording memory. And quantization process is like I need to cut a tape by each note and shift these pieces one by one to correct position sample by sample in our case. It takes a lot of computations. So it's impossible to make on the fly - the MCU has to go offline, otherwise, we lose the beat. So please don't compare it with usual sequencers that record just several bytes for each note. PULSAR looper\recorder has different design and provides other possibilities, I hope you will appreciate it when you will get your hands on and try. Thanks wink

thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate you take the time for this

so sad to read this since I love all the other features in this machine, but this is a dealbreak for me...it will kill my workflow/performance

I really don´t need the sequencer (or looper) to record all this stuff, I´ll be happy with just real time quantized note recording

maybe it can be implemented in the future...I´d love to have it and I´m sure a lot of people really want real time quantize too
NoLegs
chvad wrote:
Bobby wrote:

lol im 108 and chomping at the bit for sure lol.

I don't even know what my order number is waah
moloque
I don't even have a number... I should be low in the list but I don't know how many got onto the list before they started giving number?
Bobby
SOMA Labs wrote:
HI Guys,
Some explanations:

90 something and on the list for 2.

Most excited I've been in a long while about any product.
Jee
I think I am happy without quantization smile
This is another approach more organic (organismic!) to compose music and quantization would simply ruin the concept.
I see pulsar as a real instrument that you play so you have to put in the effort to play well. Otherwise there’s midi in so I assume one could record in midi with quantize and then send to pulsar?

I also don’t know my number...
moloque
Definitely don't care for quantization. I see it as an instrument on its own. My guitar, bass or drum set don't need quantization. I guess it's just that I'm more of a player than a programmer.
chvad
also don’t care about the quantizing.

regarding numbering order... i didn’t get mine at first either when i pre-ordered. I just wrote them back out of curiosity when people started posted numbers and asked.
NoLegs
chvad wrote:

regarding numbering order... i didn’t get mine at first either when i pre-ordered. I just wrote them back out of curiosity when people started posted numbers and asked.

Thanks! I’m trying that. Do you remember when you ordered?
anselmi
Jee wrote:
I think I am happy without quantization smile
This is another approach more organic (organismic!) to compose music and quantization would simply ruin the concept.

not if they implement it as an OPTION

Quote:
I see pulsar as a real instrument that you play so you have to put in the effort to play well. Otherwise there’s midi in so I assume one could record in midi with quantize and then send to pulsar?

moloque wrote:
I see it as an instrument on its own. My guitar, bass or drum set don't need quantization. I guess it's just that I'm more of a player than a programmer.

well, it seems that my definition of instrument is not as traditional as yours
this is an electronic instrument that do a zillion unnatural stuff by definition...why it should be ruled by natural rules? I can´t understand this kind of arguments seriously, i just don't get it

c´mon guys, just say that you don´t want/like quantization and it´s OK, but talk about "natural" when this is a very unnatural instrument, and use the word "instrument" as if it would only apply if you play like a bongo, sounds like old 80s rockers arguing about drum machines were killing the music.
UndercoverBrother
I think you should move on, we got your point. You just don't get the instrument philosophy, it's not for you, let it go
chvad
NoLegs wrote:
chvad wrote:

Thanks! I’m trying that. Do you remember when you ordered?

6-14-2018! Seems like forever ago lol.
behndy
lol. i'm 300ish, jealous of Earlier Grabbers, but very patient.

can't wait to hear what peoples do with theirs, can not WAIT to get my hands on mines.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 19 of 23