MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pulsar-23 by Soma
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Pulsar-23 by Soma
Tumulishroomaroom

This thing looks mad and sounds huge.

Edit : link to the Soma website : http://somasynths.com/pulsar-23/
senecio
This man is a genius and true artist!
EPTC
Too damn cool. The sounds in the latter half of the video. Incredible: Over 100 patch points (and separate audio outs for each of the 23 modules, wow!) - Automatic waitlist request for me.

Wonder if any connections are normaled together. This really feels like a wonderful add on to the Lyra.
Blingley
hyper hyper hyper

Sounds great. Can't contain hype.

hyper hyper hyper
dogoftears
what the actual fuck
got on the list
moloque
Well now gotta start selling my unused noise toy, while I'm on the list meh eek!
acidity regulator
It costs too much for what I was thinking I'd pay for a drum machine but I gotta stretch my funds since I had to get on the list.

Soon all my desktop synths will be Soma and all my desktop effects OTO. Getting weirdly bandwagon-y about this stuff
syncretism
God damn it.
Futuresound
oh no
Hainbach
This is totally awesome.
Paranormal Patroler
I'm game. The sounds on that video could entertain for hours!
RickKleffel
I have neither the space nor the money, but I'm in line and will find the money and make the space. That's the sound and interface for a drum machine i've been waiting for since the Linn 9000. The web site description is fantastic, over-the-top in the best possible manner.

https://somasynths.com/pulsar-23/
EPTC
RickKleffel wrote:
I have neither the space nor the money, but I'm in line and will find the money and make the space.

That describes me as well. Yeah already conspiring about this summer's fundraising, but man is that video the knees bees.

Soma world problems.
placebo92
Goddamn it now my just purchased dfam feels so inferior. Gear lust feels like a curse sometimes. This looks damn cool though.. But holy smokes that price.
chvad
lol. on the list! just YESTERDAY i was about to declare that i'd no longer be getting new gear. this is WAY to cool not to get. fuuuuuuuuuuck. stupid good ideas ruin me!
neonmercury1
This thing sounds like a beast!!! I too "dont need More gear" but this might just be a must buy for what im doing. Dead Banana
sparood
I need more gear, all the better! Exciting!
dandandan
senecio wrote:

Yes! In my mind he is something of a Russian version of Ciat-Lonbarde’s Peter Blasser.
MindMachine
Yes. And points for not making any Sharpie errors. Can it really be replicated?
Funky40
Great, so i could just witness how people create hype

lol
Tumulishroomaroom
Modulus
I think I echo everyone’s sentiment here that this box is next level. Love the new demo video. Digging the alligator clips too, super fun
Futuresound
Funky40 wrote:
Great, so i could just witness how people create hype

lol

Well, getting excited after an 8-minute demo video by an inspired designer is a bit different than ‘hype’ based off, for example, a single blurry still image or whatever, as we’ve seen before
Nelson Baboon
sigh. this is the drum machine I've always wanted.
R.U.Nuts
Nelson Baboon wrote:

This is basically the first drum machine ever, that caught my interest.
1n
All the above. A joy forever, I reckon.
neuroportal
After a hiatus on buying kit, I have finally capitulated and signed up for preorder.

I now need to sell stuff. I decided that I will also finally get a Lyra 8, too.
Panason
You can also use the crocodile clips as nipple clamps for live performance
buzzlegs
Panason wrote:
You can also use the crocodile clips as nipple clamps for live performance

speaking from experience?
Panason
meh I'm too shy and not into noisecore/industrial!
But I can just picture this thing attached to someone's highly pierced/modded body.

Everyone should try a little nipple clamping IMO.
hyper
electricanada
dandandan wrote:
senecio wrote:

Yes! In my mind he is something of a Russian version of Ciat-Lonbarde’s Peter Blasser.

Funny, I was just thinking that this demo sounds like the Rollz 5 f*cked a Lunetta and made a baby drum synth.
electricanada
This is going to wind up being probably $2K shipped to my door. A man could build one hell of a Eurorack drum synth for that kind of cash. Is it really price-competitive? (Not saying I don't have immediate, full-blown GAS for it though....)
electricanada
electricanada wrote:
This is going to wind up being probably $2K shipped to my door. A man could build one hell of a Eurorack drum synth for that kind of cash.

Or buy four DFAMs.
RickKleffel
electricanada wrote:
electricanada wrote:
This is going to wind up being probably $2K shipped to my door. A man could build one hell of a Eurorack drum synth for that kind of cash.

Or buy four DFAMs.

...None of which I would want, in any event. The unique artistry that goes into these SOMA rigs is exactly what I am after. This is clearly a lot more, and to my mind, a lot more interesting than those or other alternatives. I don't even really think of it as a "drum machine." I would suggest it is a very odd synthesizer that lends itself to use as rhythm generator, but not exclusively so. The rhythmic functions are extensions of the synthesis offered, not limitations.
electricanada
RickKleffel wrote:
electricanada wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Or buy four DFAMs.

...None of which I would want, in any event. The unique artistry that goes into these SOMA rigs is exactly what I am after. This is clearly a lot more, and to my mind, a lot more interesting than those or other alternatives. I don't even really think of it as a "drum machine." I would suggest it is a very odd synthesizer that lends itself to use as rhythm generator, but not exclusively so. The rhythmic functions are extensions of the synthesis offered, not limitations.

I fully agree. I'm just trying to talk myself out of it. I held off getting my Lyra fully six months after my name came up on the list. But this Pulsar I will probably go for as soon as I have the opportunity. DFAM and Ciat Lonbarde are awesome, and have been on my GAS list -- but this one is calling to me even stronger.
anselmi
wow...really great device...but the price is too high for what it is

I think it should cost much less than that, around $1000 would be a fair price and also I´m sure it would sell much more units this way, helping to rise his company name
buzzlegs
anselmi wrote:
I think it should cost much less than that, around $1000 would be a fair price and also I´m sure it would sell much more units this way, helping to rise his company name

have you built gear before?
anselmi
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:

No, but I bought gear before razz
buzzlegs
anselmi wrote:
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:

ah right, so you've no clue at all of what costs are involved in designing and building equipment, ok...
globalwm
buzz legs wrote:
ah right, so you've no clue at all of what costs are involved in designing and building equipment, ok...

The grass is always greener on the other side of just about anything. Some folk feel that other people's time and efforts are worth little or next to nothing. well said.

ps. I own a Lyra-8 which was purchased direct from SOMA. It was a very positive ordering experience given the logistics involved.
placebo92
globalwm wrote:
buzz legs wrote:

The grass is always greener on the other side of just about anything. Some folk feel that other people's time and efforts are worth little or next to nothing. well said.

ps. I own a Lyra-8 which was purchased direct from SOMA. It was a very positive ordering experience given the logistics involved.
Ya same. The Lyra seemed well priced, especially given the build quality. Soma may be a relatively new company but they have my trust. Vlad seems like an honest and passionate inventor.
anselmi
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:

of course not...and have you ever run a company? or you are just thinking that DIY is the same that build gear to sell in a bigger number than one at the time?

Did you (and the other teenager up here claiming justice) know that a company´s business model can be much more complex than simply adding up everything you spent in parts, adding what you think your working time cost and then selling the product by this number?

When you have gone through business adolescence, come back and we can talk about products costs w00t
buzzlegs
anselmi wrote:
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:

of course not...and have you ever run a company? or you are just thinking that DIY is the same that build gear to sell in a bigger number than one at the time?

Did you (and the other teenager up here claiming justice) know that a company´s business model can be much more complex than simply adding up everything you spent in parts, adding what you think your working time cost and then selling the product by this number?

When you have gone through business adolescence, come back and we can talk about products costs w00t

i'm 47 and have ran my own company for last 20 years.
anselmi
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:
buzzlegs wrote:
anselmi wrote:

i'm 47 and have ran my own company for last 20 years.

thumbs up
GNSDG
This is pretty incredible.

I get that we should all exercise humility when throwing in our two cents about pricing, features, etc., but no reason to jump on someone for saying the pricing seems off. Value is not determined by costs—that point is really irrelevant. Sure your opinion on pricing is just that—one data point in determining what’s market—but it’s valid.

This is special product regardless of price. Dude is talented.
electricanada
GNSDG wrote:
This is pretty incredible.

It really is, and he really is. I have his Lyra 8, which is teaching me how to listen to sound in a new way every time I play it. I think the Pulsar will be a much bigger hit on the marketplace than the Lyra is though.
anselmi
GNSDG wrote:

agreed...very talented designer with a clear vision and a tangible "heart" in his products...love all this in a synth company
SPIKE the Percussionist
HOLY FRACK!
amazing noiz weapon!
Easterner
This looks and sounds amazing... pre-ordered!
electricanada
I think for this one Vlad could actually get people to put down payments on, if he settled on a final price. I'd probably do it.
placebo92
I keep hoping for a new demo..
electricanada
placebo92 wrote:

I'd like to know how the rhythm patterns are created and stored. Right now I am clueless as to how that might work.
placebo92
electricanada wrote:
placebo92 wrote:

I'd like to know how the rhythm patterns are created and stored. Right now I am clueless as to how that might work.

Ya I'm curious about that too, do you tap the sensors and then it loops the rythyms..?

They give some explanation on their site:
Quote:
– 4 independent loop recorders with the option for individual clocking. They record triggering events, not audio.
– Clock generator with an array of dividers as a very powerful tool for rhythm synthesis.
, but I can't really imagine how that would be played.

Also they mention a DSP effects processor with cv control over it's entire sample rate, really curious what will be included in there. This could be an awesome effects unit for outside sources as well.. Gah so excited.
AW198
This thing is ridiculous... those sounds are incredible.

Does the MIDI capability mean that rhythms be locked to a tempo? I got the impression from the trigger looping section of the video (although I didn't watch the whole thing, just had it in the background to listen to) that you have to input the rhythms yourself. If it can be locked to a grid and have rhythm edits done live then wow.
bobbylandry
Also curious how exactly the loopers work. Seems a cool idea to get some feel from the instrument instead of a sequencer. They do seem to be synced to each other and seems like they sync to midi. I'm assuming it's implemented well since Soma has been making awesome stuff so far.
damase
this is hands down the coolest synth demo ive ever heard. those sounds and rhythms are just wild...
there is no mention of separate outputs, and all i see is the 1 mono trs cable in the demo. i hope there is a way to output the individual voices by patching. That could be deal breaker for me, as cool as it sounds, drum synths with only 1 main output are difficult to find a good workflow when it comes to recording and mixing.

also not in love with the croc clips, even after reading the explanation it just seems messy. not a deal breaker though.

very interested to see how it turns out
electricanada
damase wrote:
this is hands down the coolest synth demo ive ever heard. those sounds and rhythms are just wild...
there is no mention of separate outputs, and all i see is the 1 mono trs cable in the demo. i hope there is a way to output the individual voices by patching. That could be deal breaker for me, as cool as it sounds, drum synths with only 1 main output are difficult to find a good workflow when it comes to recording and mixing.

also not in love with the croc clips, even after reading the explanation it just seems messy. not a deal breaker though.

He says in the video that there are separate outputs per voice.
bmot
What an amazing demo, I’m seriously considering selling several things just to buy this. I don’t usually spend so much money at one time so it would be new territory for me

Edit: I’m on the waiting list. Just need to save a few
damase
electricanada wrote:
damase wrote:

He says in the video that there are separate outputs per voice.

excellent thank you i mustve missed that, now i can properly lust
behndy
electricanada wrote:
I think for this one Vlad could actually get people to put down payments on, if he settled on a final price. I'd probably do it.

lol. i'd actually love doing a down payment, would help me make sure i have enough Gear Cabbage set aside when they're ready to pay down a bit (or all if possible) before hand.
Unborn Gore
I wonder if he'll bring it to market before the $#!+ hits the fan between the US and Russia.
horaflora
behndy wrote:
electricanada wrote:

lol. i'd actually love doing a down payment, would help me make sure i have enough Gear Cabbage set aside when they're ready to pay down a bit (or all if possible) before hand.

Happy to accept and hang onto monies for you, until it's released!

twisted
EPTC
Unborn Gore wrote:
I wonder if he'll bring it to market before the $#!+ hits the fan between the US and Russia.

Funny, that was my exact worry with the Lyra 8 a couple years back.

So happy/relieved when that package arrived from Moscow.
Panason
electricanada wrote:
placebo92 wrote:

"Stored"? What is this madness!
electricanada
Panason wrote:
electricanada wrote:
placebo92 wrote:

Apparently there are four loopers, so patterns are "stored" at least temporarily. Whether they persist after the machine is turned off is another question. But a more interesting question is: Is there a quantizer?
placebo92
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:
electricanada wrote:
placebo92 wrote:

Apparently there are four loopers, so patterns are "stored" at least temporarily. Whether they persist after the machine is turned off is another question. But a more interesting question is: Is there a quantizer?

I doubt it.. That would kind of go against the spirit of these machine's imo.
electricanada
placebo92 wrote:

I doubt it.. That would kind of go against the spirit of these machine's imo.[/quote]

Good point. If the Lyra won't play in tune, why should the Pulsar play in time? (jk) But yeah, now that you've invoked the overall SOMA ethos, I kind of hope there won't be a quantizer too. The weirdness and messiness is the main attraction of these instruments.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
placebo92 wrote:

I doubt it.. That would kind of go against the spirit of these machine's imo.

Good point. If the Lyra won't play in tune, why should the Pulsar play in time? (jk) But yeah, now that you've invoked the overall SOMA ethos, I kind of hope there won't be a quantizer too. The weirdness and messiness is the main attraction of these instruments.[/quote]

demos sounds straight to the grid
Panason
Sync or sink, mothafukka. At least a simple sync to an audio signal would be necessary at this price point.
Nelson Baboon
Panason wrote:
Sync or sink, mothafukka. At least a simple sync to an audio signal would be necessary at this price point.

"necessary"? As in users who like the instrument, will die a horrible death if it's not there?
RickKleffel
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Panason wrote:

"necessary"? As in users who like the instrument, will die a horrible death if it's not there?

Well, it does have MIDI, so I'm guessing it must have some form of sync. That said, asynchronous sequencing is *highly* underrated. In some future thread, I may discuss more. I prefer a garden of sometimes synchronized sequencers. The allure of the whole "Tight" (sync/envelope/whatever) ethos evades me. Not that it is never called for; it's best approached, by myself at least, with moderation. (Or impatience and laziness, your call!)
electricanada
It's clear that the Pulsar has an internal clock, plus Euro and midi integration, so playing in time in the conventional manner is covered.

The question remains: How tf do those loopers work?
Panason
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Panason wrote:

THERE ARE THINGS WORSE THAN DEATH twisted

If it does not sync, it will be the final straw and the west will go to war with Russia!!! It will be proof that Vlad (SOMA) is Putin's agent, sneakily attacking western Europe and America with his infernal machines!

(In other words, it would be good to be able to sync this so it can be sampled at a known tempo oops )
Nelson Baboon
Panason wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Panason wrote:

THERE ARE THINGS WORSE THAN DEATH twisted

If it does not sync, it will be the final straw and the west will go to war with Russia!!! It will be proof that Vlad (SOMA) is Putin's agent, sneakily attacking western Europe and America with his infernal machines!

(In other words, it would be good to be able to sync this so it can be sampled at a known tempo oops )

the paradoxical thing about desired common features is that you start adding them, and suddenly you have a very different machine which fits more easily into the synth mainstream, but doesn't have as much of its own identity. But then there are users like you who unleash this 'fake news' despite never having tried the instrument...

if this is such a life or death or worse than death issue for you, have you tried communicating with Soma? In my experience they are very quick to respond.
Panason
Dude, I am joking...
Nelson Baboon
Panason wrote:
Dude, I am joking...

"At least a simple sync to an audio signal would be necessary at this price point."

yes. This is hilarious.
placebo92
Can't you see what you're doing to us Soma? We need more demos and explanations waah
electricanada
I am still jonesing so hard for this machine. Any news on the final design or the timeline to market? Anything?
Panason
Quote:
The expected date of release is autumn\winter 2018\19

This machine also has the "focus on 4 drums" thing I have been talking about. Kick, bass tom, snare and hat. No maracas.
Panason
fuuuck. Schneidersladen are already listing this for even MORE money than SOMA had initially hinted at. Now we're looking at €1785.... They don't even have a photo of a production unit yet.

This is too much. I'm gonna call Uli. lol
electricanada
Panason wrote:
fuuuck. Schneidersladen are already listing this for even MORE money than SOMA had initially hinted at. Now we're looking at €1785.... They don't even have a photo of a production unit yet.

This is too much. I'm gonna call Uli. lol

I think the Pulsar could be a huge hit on the market, but not at that price. For that much money you could buy four DFAMs. Or two DFAMs and a rack full of Doepfer utilities.
chvad
if you wanted a DFAM maybe. I think SOMA will come through on this with a product completely worth the loot and with a ton better build quality than the DFAM.
EPTC
chvad wrote:
if you wanted a DFAM maybe. I think SOMA will come through on this with a product completely worth the loot and with a ton better build quality than the DFAM.

Yeah, DFAM isn't comparable here. It's not like drum machines are metric comparable units to other drum machines.

With the Pulsar's numerous CV outputs and connections (somewhere north of a hundred) people will probably clock their DFAM into bananas territory with Pulsar CV outs. It'll probably interface really nice with Moog gear (DFAM can reliably clock the Pulsar, for instance), but I can't imagine either replacing one another.
Panason
I emailed SOMA and they replied :

Quote:
The final price is unknown until we will get the mass production version with the price of its production. The indicated price is the absolute maximum. We will try to make it significantly lower

I think Schneidersladen are getting a bit ahead of themselves, listing this with a photo of the lab prototype.... desperate much?
hoppy303
Eagerly awaiting updates about this unit...
RickKleffel
New demo, Pulsar 23 controlled by MiDI...Watch now, spend later!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkILDLhMa50
Panason
Dead Banana
behndy
yeahhhhhhhh. SO much want.
cscairney
Sounds awesome!
nodog
This is so awesome. Want, want, want!!!!
neonmercury1
URRRGGGGHHHH SOOO GOOOD nanners
pix
Offer DIY PCB kits....pleeeeeeeaaaaassssseeeee we're not worthy
thisoldmike
This thing sounds incredible! I had to add my name to the preorder list. Might have to sell off some stuff to cover it, but that will depend on final price. Here's hoping it's not too bad.

This is fun!
Panason
My GAS has been cured by a letter from the tax people... but I'm sure I'll see if I can sell any unwanted organs - I mean synths.
Cortega
really looking forward...
Panason
Cortega had to make sure I get the message so he also PMd me:

Quote:

please please Panason dont buy this,
i dont want to hear your endless stupid yelling,
this thing will have no Song Mode and no fancy Display,
i am sure you are not able to make good Music with this Kind of Gear and then you will cry like a Baby again and again...

Now I am definitely buying it and posting a detailed review here...

Deal With It, Manchild!

PS why doesn't this overpriced machine have Song Mode and 1080p OLED display!!! WTF is wrong with SOMA?
smetak
Got to stop watching these demos......being slowly sucked into buying this thing (and thought that the Lyra 8 would be the last piece of gear I would buy in a long, long time.....oh well.....).
mg05
Panason wrote:

PS why doesn't this overpriced machine have Song Mode and 1080p OLED display!!! WTF is wrong with SOMA?

You can call it expensive. But I don't think it's overpriced. SOMA is right.

And is there anyone else who is manufacturing WTF cool instruments like this?
dubonaire
Panason wrote:
Cortega had to make sure I get the message so he also PMd me:

Quote:

please please Panason dont buy this,
i dont want to hear your endless stupid yelling,
this thing will have no Song Mode and no fancy Display,
i am sure you are not able to make good Music with this Kind of Gear and then you will cry like a Baby again and again...

Now I am definitely buying it and posting a detailed review here...

Deal With It, Manchild!

I’m with Cortega, your obsession with the things products don’t do is annoying, to be polite. It’s one thing to dis fanboys but it’s another thing to presume the role of a small time Ralph Nader. I doubt from your posts that you could afford to buy all the hardware you criticize so why do you even bother? No one cares about your opinion anywhere near as much as you do.
drowld
dubonaire wrote:

I’m with Cortega, your obsession with the things products don’t do is annoying, to be polite. It’s one thing to dis fanboys but it’s another thing to presume the role of a small time Ralph Nader. I doubt from your posts that you could afford to buy all the hardware you criticize so why do you even bother? No one cares about your opinion anywhere near as much as you do.

Yeh no offense panason but it's true. It's a bit painful at times to hear your rants. I think we say that because we think you can do better. And that mostly no ones gives a fuck about what you or me think of a product that we can't afford and will not use because we don't really have an interest for it
bmot
Can we get back to talking about the Pulsar? It's the best thing since slided bread. I have never seen or heard anything like it, i've already sold 1250 Euros of equipment in preparation for buying it. It's really as good as that. And I had real affection for the things I sold (Vermona DRM and Yamaha SK30). Words can't describe how excited I am for this. I have the Lyra 8, and use it a lot, it has proven one of my better purchases. I am hoping it will make a good companion to the Pulsar, then maybe i'll sell soe more things.

I am excited for this like nothing else Rockin' Banana!
Who else has sold things to make space/funds for the Pulsar? Am I being overly optimistic here, or do you all have great feelings for this?
tIB
I think it's fair to say it looks incredible... I've not done a full yet but videos like that make me scheme on it.
Cortega
@Panason sorry for being rude.

Please lets use this Forum in a constructive Way,
the amount of useless Buzz in the Internet is so high these Days,
its getting harder and harder to filter it and get the good Bits
and Muffwiggler was always a good Place in this regard.

I would like to hear constructive Review from you if you buy it.

and now back on Topic
drowld
It looks a bit big no ?
Price isnt too crazy honestly. It's a beast and it sound hella good
Panason
drowld wrote:
And that mostly no ones gives a fuck about what you or me think of a product that we can't afford and will not use because we don't really have an interest for it

Speak for yourself. I'm almost certainly getting this unless things go really wrong. And I'll be using it with MIDI to make non-experimental 4/4 beats. Not noise, not drones not "intelligent dance music" Just dumb repetitive beats. w00t

mg05 wrote:
Panason wrote:

You can call it expensive. But I don't think it's overpriced. SOMA is right.

?

WOW. The joke went whoooooooshhh right over your heads. not this shit again not this shit again not this shit again

Maybe if you get into the habit of checking the context before replying to comments you won't derail the thread further... wasn't the "1080p OLED display " absurd enough for you to realise I was having a laugh?

Deal with it and for the last time, get the fuck off my case, learn how to ignore people and stop with the personal attacks and taunts.. You are the ones complaining, not me...

Perhaps some people have missed the memo that this machine has digital effects and MIDI....
mg05
Boah, you're rude and using insulting language, man.
behndy
oooooof YES.

nodog
This will be the best drummachine ever.
electricanada
It seems like it will be similar to the Lyra, in the sense that it will take up a lot of sonic space and dominate every track you put it on.
Panason
It would be good if Vlad would post some demos playing each voice on its own while tweaking parameters. From previous short demo it sounds like at least one voice can be played at least somewhat like a monosynth.
RickKleffel
electricanada wrote:
It seems like it will be similar to the Lyra, in the sense that it will take up a lot of sonic space and dominate every track you put it on.

I find it best, for my use, to dial down the volume on the Lyra and use it in the background in a mix with other instruments. It can sound full, use all the space it needs, and let everything else in the mix be heard as well.

I look forward to the Pulsar 23 for the manner in which it will bend the way I compose. I can't quite grok exactly how it works / what it does from what we've seen. I think that's a good thing! I look forward to working around some very interesting limitations.
NoLegs
Also, it has tons of super low frequencies, so I find it helps sit in a mix a lot better if you run it through a low shelf EQ.
anselmi
I don´t like this patch cables...prefer standard 1/8 ones, but anyway, I think it could be much better to put all the patch points in a side (like DFAM/M32) or some place far from the knob panel...this way you can use shorter ones and don´t have them all over the panel
chvad
patch fields seem nice in theory to me but not so much in practice. i like jacks near the control sections they are related to. it's a mess to look at and there is shit to dig through but i prefer that leaps and bounds to a grid of jacks. my eyes just get crossed trying to use stuff with that kind of layout.
anselmi
chvad wrote:
patch fields seem nice in theory to me but not so much in practice. i like jacks near the control sections they are related to. it's a mess to look at and there is shit to dig through but i prefer that leaps and bounds to a grid of jacks. my eyes just get crossed trying to use stuff with that kind of layout.

I understand what you say...and agree that patch points in their respective sections are way more easy to spot, but maybe a system of lines linking this sections/parameters to their respective patch points would be a good balance between easy to use and a clean knob panel
EPTC
behndy wrote:
oooooof YES.

Incredible new video!

So I find myself most excited about the touch-based CV recording aspect of this. Wondering about alternatives. Would a pair (or four) of RIT_M modules match the Pulsar as beat recorders, you think? http://www.freshnelly.com/ritm/ritm.htm
Panason
chvad wrote:

Whether you have the patch points to the side or around the controls, it gets messy. It's just what you modular guys have to deal with since you like jacking things cool

Vlad explains on his site why he chose to use bolts and croc clips - to keep the manufaturing cost down as there is a shitload of patch points.

I imagine If I get this I'll be semi-normalizing it for a particular project using cables with crimped eyelets at the end, nuts and plastic washers.

NUTS.

lionel
« Would a pair (or four) of RIT_M modules match the Pulsar as beat recorders, you think? »

Yes, I do think, but The sound !...
bmot
Is there any update on availability? Anyone had an email yet? I’ve actually got the money for it now, having just sold the last item needed to raise the funds, but I’m sorely tempted by some other gear and way too impatient!

Edit: this got posted on the Facebook group this evening:

"Ladies and gentelmem! the main parts for Pulsar-23 were ordered! we are waiting for the delivery and will start the serial production soon! We will confirm the waiting list during the production... it is very long but we are planning the first batch for 2019 not more than .... let's see soon!"
geoffmar
this looks pretty amazing. looking forward to seeing more videos on what it can do.
OlleOlle
Looks amazing! I have no idea how I would use it (which was the same with Lyra-8) but I know it will be fun!
Kja
This instrument was built from my dreams! Sally the only way I can get one is it I sold my prophet 6.. egh.. I don't think that's gonna happen.
bmot
Kja wrote:
This instrument was built from my dreams! Sally the only way I can get one is it I sold my prophet 6.. egh.. I don't think that's gonna happen.

Not sure what Sally has to say about it hihi , but Soma haven’t confirmed the price yet so maybe it will be more affordable than Schneider’s etc are expecting...more dreams i guess
Multi Grooves
Panason wrote:

Isn't this what env followers were made for?
Panason
I'm not sure about that but anyway MIDI input seems confirmed and surely there will be analog clock sync... whenever this thing is actually released.
felixer
well it certainly sounds really good. but not out yet?
blipson
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

This is basically the first drum machine ever, that caught my interest.

Yeah, really. In general, electronic-sounding drums are just never a sound that I want. I do have a Plonk in my rack, but under protest. I use an outboard Roland drum brain/Beatstep Pro setup to get the kinds of timbres and velocity response I like, and I can process from there if necessary. Still, I'll definitely try Vlad's contraption.
behndy
soooooo impatient. have monies set aside for the upper range quoted on this, trying not to get distracted by other loots.

wannnnnnnnt.
gosh
Yes I'm the same. And NAMM is here...!
xparis001
Jee
I'm also on the list since day1 and I exchanged a couple of emails with Vlad about the pulsar23, especially connectivity (crocodile clips).
There will be extra products linked to pulsar like extension boards.
I suggested him to create euro minijacks with am M3 screw instead of a cable to have easier connectivity with eurorack as there's only 8 converters on pulsar. He liked the idea so it could be part of the extra products.
Let's see....
felixer
still nothing for sale? schneiders has it on their website ... but 'not available yet'. bummer ....
Panason
I find it ridiculously desperate that Schneider's are listing this using the lab prototype photograph and a price tag that SOMA themselves have stated is not the finalized price.
felixer
Panason wrote:
I find it ridiculously desperate that Schneider's are listing this using the lab prototype photograph and a price tag that SOMA themselves have stated is not the finalized price.

well, they are going to sell it and that is all the info they have. it's like the folktek mescaline that should have been here last autumn. now it's the end of febr. hopefully ... i wish manufecturers would be a little more realistic ...
chvad
or customers exercising some restraint and patience. i’d rather wait and have a bullet proof product like i know soma will deliver. the lyra was a well build well conceived product that worked exactly as it should. i’d like the same for the pulsar. happy to wait for however long for the RIGHT product vs a rushed one.
Jee
+1
They tokd me they are on final stages of prototype though. I guess production could extend it a couple of month or more but well, no rush!
behndy
right? the man has never given a firm release date. just general I Hope By This Time's.

so. be patient. wait for him to be happy with where it's at before releasing it.

i wish more people did that. not just music gear.
EPTC
behndy wrote:
so. be patient.

Preach, that.

I'm curious if they'll release an eventual single drum voice for eurorack, like they did with the delay. I love the Pulsar painfully - aaaand I wonder if suddenly introducing over 100 patch points and various outputs would be a little tricky to integrate into a completed system. A single drum voice (or two) with the trigger touchplate would be terrific.

The new DVINA looks great, as well. Future music for planet Dune. https://somasynths.com/dvina/
Panason
I replied to the email about DVINA ("Thanks, that's nice but where is Pulsar?" hyper ) and got a reply from SOMA - it says they're aiming for a spring release. . . So I guess that means May 31st at the earliest zombie
chvad
Panason wrote:
I replied to the email about DVINA ("Thanks, that's nice but where is Pulsar?" hyper ) and got a reply from SOMA - it says they're aiming for a spring release. . . So I guess that means May 31st at the earliest zombie

If we're lucky even longer! hihi
Jee
Somehow comforting about quality !
Panason
My accountant agrees that the delay is good.

IIRC i saw a photo of the insides of the Lyra somewhere and the PCB looked extremely heavy duty, as you would expect from a Russian machine, but also elegant.
Maybe I 'm thinking of something else as I can't find that post again, for some PCB porn while we wait, ha ha
placebo92
I recall seeing that as well. Possubly in the Sonicstate video review?
Panason
Yeaahh I can't see this happening any time soon. I go another email from SOMA about yet another device they're releasing. seriously, i just don't get it
electricanada
Panason wrote:
Yeaahh I can't see this happening any time soon. I go another email from SOMA about yet another device they're releasing. seriously, i just don't get it

Yeah, stop playing around with toys and finish the Pulsar, Vlad.
Unborn Gore
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:

Yeah, stop playing around with toys and finish the Pulsar, Vlad.

Whatever. The Ether looks dope.
RickKleffel
SOMA tells me they're shooting for a Spring/Summer release of Pulsar. Note the Ether was announced, with appropriately less fanfare, much in advance of Pulsar. The latter is unsurprisingly going to show up later.

I frankly expected more of a September release. SOMA seems inclined to finish things before the release, which suits me. I'm just hoping to avoid a fiscal collision between the arrival of Pulsar and my Cirklon number coming up. With machines like this, we can rule the world, and likely do a damn better job than those currently at the helm.
Branko
Fingers crossed for a DIY kit.
Schrank
Branko wrote:
Fingers crossed for a DIY kit.

Probably not going to happen. I remember Vlad stated somewhere it's too complicated to set up and calibrate.
Branko
Dang. I guess I should start saving up.
hemeroscopium
More demos please @Vlad
dan_k
Probably getting ready for Superbooth. Hopefully we'll be seeing a prototype there.
Bobby
Don't suppose if anyone knows how big batch 1 will be? ( I'm 90 something on the list)
Modulus
Bobby wrote:
Don't suppose if anyone knows how big batch 1 will be? ( I'm 90 something on the list)

Hopefully a lot of units. Curiously how do you know your # in the list? I preordered the day they announced but the person who replied didn’t say what # it was.
Bobby
Modulus wrote:
Bobby wrote:

Hopefully a lot of units. Curiously how do you know your # in the list? I preordered the day they announced but the person who replied didn’t say what # it was.

Mine said in the mail. Ordered pretty early like the 14/6/19 if that is Any relevance.
chvad
I pre-ordered back on 6-15-18. Email had no mention of # or place in line. Hope they didn't lose me! lol.
Schrank
The confirmation email they sent me also had no mention which number I am in the list. waah
Modulus
Thanks guys. They probably got so many preorders that adding the number was taking too long so they just went with a canned response.

Anyways, gas for this box is immense. Hope they can fill all the preorders
electricanada
I got on the list July 8 last year, but no number.
dan_p
I jumped on the preorder as soon as it was as announced but didn’t get an email?
Rex Coil 7
.... huh, I didn't know that "Look Mum No Computer" guy was making things for sale ....

lol lol lol
drowld

w00t w00t
Modulus
we're not worthy Guinness ftw!
Bobby
Honestly think I might buy a second one eventually.
EPTC
This, too: https://www.facebook.com/vlad.samodelkin/videos/vb.100001354243941/216 2187867169667/?type=2&theater

Nice work, Soma! Love the color and final design.
Needles
Also this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95r7kFoI2pU
h4ndcrafted
Man this thing sounds great so far.
electricanada
Woohoo! What are the six extra jacks for on the back? I would assume individual outs, but there are only four voices....
behndy
yesssss separate outs. SO good.

probably a stereo mix out?

it looks GORGEOUS. i'm not the hugest fan of the color though. would be verrrrrrrry happy if they offered it in black as well.

but DAYUM this thing sounds so freaking good.
behndy
bad post.
Modulus
behndy wrote:

it looks GORGEOUS. i'm not the hugest fan of the color though. would be verrrrrrrry happy if they offered it in black as well.

but DAYUM this thing sounds so freaking good.

In the YouTube comments vlad replied and said it will also come in black nanners
behndy
hnnnnnnng YESSSS.

lol. i mean. i would still buy one. but YES PLEASE.
smetak
INSANE!!!!!
h4ndcrafted
I have a hankering fir it in primer grey for some reason.
Kja
Oh God... I know I was one of the very early preorders.. I have to get this too.. I'm just not sure what to sell and I already have two drum machines.. I guess digitakt and microvolt will be out the door for this orange attack.
neonmercury1
Man we're not worthy i really gotta sell some shit i think my number will come up quick.
electricanada
behndy wrote:

Good guess, but they are clearly numbered one through six.
behndy
durp. yah. watched another vidja that showed that more clearly.

the og Prototype Vid says something about "separate dry (or clean?) outs", so mebbe a separate out each, then effects bus outs?

whatever. I TRUST IN THE SOMA.

so. freaking. EXCITED.
hemeroscopium
im wondering what are its voltage ranges. In order to safely put it into Ciat/Buchla/Serge ecosystem with Banana -> Croc cable. Also there should be Ground in to keep everything grounded together for crosspatching ?
Bobby
erenod wrote:
im wondering what are its voltage ranges. In order to safely put it into Ciat/Buchla/Serge ecosystem with Banana -> Croc cable. Also there should be Ground in to keep everything grounded together for crosspatching ?

Great question that! i believe Vlad has mentioned euro integration so ive been assuming 5/-5 but thats an assumption. if anyone is going to Superbooth itd be great to have that confirmed. would love to know what else the box has too.
hemeroscopium
I'd love if it were unipolar 0-10v one can dream...
Bobby
this is on the website:

"In general, there are 52 knobs, 11 switches and over 100 inputs and outputs for patching, Eurorack integration, external mixing and processing, live circuit bending"

...https://somasynths.com/pulsar-23/
smetak
h4ndcrafted wrote:
I have a hankering fir it in primer grey for some reason.

Orange! Its got to be orange! One of my greatest regrets in life is having a white Lyra 8 - but this mistake won't be repeated - Orange!
behndy
if that's a Huge Ragrets for you, and i FEEL YOU (still bummed i missed out on the Huge Pimper Collections for the Borderlands 3 pre-order), youuuuu could hit Vlad up. i was ABOUT to order a black case for my Lyra before i got a can't pass up trade offer for it.

he might have whatcha looking for?
xonetacular
Looks beautiful. Torn on the alligator clips/posts. Seems like it would be annoying to patch and it looks like a mess when patched up a lot with clips in different directions. I dislike 3.5mm too though. Don't know what else could fit that densely. Mini 2mm bananas would have been cool and I don't think anything else uses them but would prob complicate the build and bring costs up.
electricanada
xonetacular wrote:
Looks beautiful. Torn on the alligator clips/posts. Seems like it would be annoying to patch and it looks like a mess when patched up a lot with clips in different directions. I dislike 3.5mm too though. Don't know what else could fit that densely. Mini 2mm bananas would have been cool and I don't think anything else uses them but would prob complicate the build and bring costs up.

On the plus side, the screw posts means fewer jack to wear out.
Bobby
I love that it's crocks. Weird science vibes.
Bobby
Love that it's orange too. Want a green one to match
blipson
For me, it's between this and Elektron Analog Rytm MKII. I don't want to go both this time, not just due to financial, but workspace limitations. It looks to me like the AR has better live performance (at least one-handed) due to more and velocity-sensitive strike pads. Also, the AR has as wide a sonic range (agree?) even if it's not quite the same family of sounds. AR has less (though some) CV control, but per-step parameters when sequencing.
Bobby
I'd try the rhythm first. If you're a menu diver it's great, if you're a knob twiddler its not. I'm a twiddler, ain't got enough to time in my life for too many menus.
blipson
Bobby wrote:
I'd try the rhythm first. If you're a menu diver it's great, if you're a knob twiddler its not. I'm a twiddler, ain't got enough to time in my life for too many menus.

Yeah, also the immediate gratification factor looms large: I can get the Elektron tomorrow, but last I heard, Vlad only semi-promised the Pulsar-23 in the first half of this year, so I expect we're looking at two more months. That's enough time to evaluate a Rytm and then sell it for not too much of a loss later if I have to.

I'm not in love with menus either, but Elektron's workflow feels very playable to me once the button combos are memorized, which, granted, is not quick. They save the truly menu-divey stuff for non-real time activities.
dubonaire
xonetacular wrote:
Looks beautiful. Torn on the alligator clips/posts. Seems like it would be annoying to patch and it looks like a mess when patched up a lot with clips in different directions.

I feel the same way. Love the sound but those alligator clips are like fingernails on a blackboard for me.
electricanada
If this had come out six months ago I would own it today. But in the intervening months I have acquired a collection of Eurorack modules that make percussive voices. And if I buy a Shakmat Four Bricks Rook, I will have a four channel trigger recorder that is more powerful than the Pulsar's. So I may take a pass on my place in line for now.
xonetacular
Idk if the rytm mk2 changed but the actual synthesis engines other than the kick are underwhelming on my mk1 imo. They are usable but not great and it really needs samples mixed in for the rest or at least takes some fiddling to get the other engines sounding good, it's not a big sweet spot. I only keep mine for the kicks.
Hi5
electricanada wrote:
If this had come out six months ago I would own it today. But in the intervening months I have acquired a collection of Eurorack modules that make percussive voices. And if I buy a Shakmat Four Bricks Rook, I will have a four channel trigger recorder that is more powerful than the Pulsar's. So I may take a pass on my place in line for now.

I'm was in a similar boat. Joined the pre-order list but the expected price spooked me. Realized I already had a fair amount of the pieces to make a modular drum machine. Added a few things and now have the Four Bricks Rook, Varigate 8+, 8 env, 8 lfo, FM/sample/analog drums voices, plus extra filters and utilities in a 9u case. Total cost is obviously higher but double the voices and features with things I mostly had already. Beauty of already being in the modular money pit.

The Pulsar is still a neat drum machine when compared to most other offerings and can still see myself getting one eventually.
blipson
xonetacular wrote:
Idk if the rytm mk2 changed but the actual synthesis engines other than the kick are underwhelming on my mk1 imo. They are usable but not great and it really needs samples mixed in for the rest or at least takes some fiddling to get the other engines sounding good, it's not a big sweet spot. I only keep mine for the kicks.

They say it's the same synthesis engine as the MK1, but with sampling, which I admit doesn't attract me so much. I do like the eight voices (twelve with auto choking) over the Pulsar's four. Especially, though, the MKII's strike pads' dynamics sensitivity is supposed to be much better than the MK1's. I'll have to try them out. The Pulsar's look like the same on/off contact switches as on the Lyra-8, so that's an unfortunate limitation. Some people say the Analog Four makes better drum sounds than the Rytm, but then it doesn't have the velocity sensitive pads. In any case, with parameter locking and programmable velocity parameters, I wonder if the Rytm will give better overall percussion/rhythm lines than the Pulsar due to its deeper sequencing capability (which includes the two VCO's) even if the individual sounds themselves aren't overwhelming. For real-time playing feel, it looks like the Rytm wins out, once you learn the playflow.
nodog
I think this is like comparing a Lyra to a Korg Kronos. Nothing wrong with both of them and they're both synths but the comparison ends there.

I have more than enough drumcomputers and a decent eurorack percussion setup but still lust after the Pulsar. It's neither but combines some options from both in a unique way while sounding fat.
blipson
nodog wrote:
I think this is like comparing a Lyra to a Korg Kronos. Nothing wrong with both of them and they're both synths but the comparison ends there.

You're saying comparing an Analog Rytm to a Pulsar-23 is like comparing a Korg Kronos to a Lyra-8? I don't follow you at all here. My Korg Kronos was a music production workstation with multiple synthesis algorithms built into its computer, and with a full-size weighted keyboard, and a Lyra-8 is an ambient semi-modular synthesizer that sits nicely on my lap. On the other hand, the Pulsar-23 and Analog Rytm are both sequencable percussion synthesizers with distinct differences and similarities. Productively comparing similars leads to better, and often unforeseen, understandings of each.
nodog
blipson wrote:

You're saying comparing an Analog Rytm to a Pulsar-23 is like comparing a Korg Kronos to a Lyra-8?

Yeah, I do. Take it with a grain of salt though. I know this statement is hyperbolic but still, let me explain what I mean.

The Rythm is far, far more useful to making patterns/songs in the traditional way. It can do some of the things the Pulsar will be capable of, just as the Kronos can do some of the things the Lyra is capable of.

On the other hand. You will need to menu-dive, the sound won't be as rich and it won't be as advanterous a journey as you twiddle knobs.

I see the SOMA stuff more as instruments for experimentation and the Elektron stuff more geared towards production.
blipson
Oh, I see. To add another dimension to experimentation and production, playing percussion with my own bodily performance is important to me. I purposely don't have any percussion-based modules in my rack--well, I do have one Plonk under protest--because I use a very dynamically responsive to finger nuances drum controller over MIDI (Zendrum.com). It's great, but I'm basically limited to either software samplers or a Roland drum brain, which are fine because I like the combination of non-electronic percussion with what comes out of my rack. But I do want the option to get electronic-sounding percussion that's as dynamically responsive as a 128 velocity layer software sampler, and nothing's ever quite done it for me. I do like a Nord Drum 3P, and I use two of them to get 12 voices, and it's kind of cool in a limited way, but takes up a lot of footprint space.

Recently, I've been using my Soma Pipe (custom modded to switch between three algorithms instantaneously) to improvise percussive lines augmented by multiple patches from my rack (via an envelope follower). The Pipe is highly dynamically responsive to vocal nuances, so is great for improvising live interaction with other musical elements. In this scenario, the Pulsar-23 is really limited by being only four voices, whereas the Elektron has 12 because I don't mind the chokes. If I end up loving the Pulsar, I'm doomed because I'll have to get two of them, which, again, is a lot of money and space.
nodog
Ah, it's good to see there's so many other ways to utilize instruments. I might have been a bit hung up about the production/experimentation divide seeing it from my own perspective.
blipson
Me, I get inspiration from this Max Marco person on YouTube (easily searchable). He takes what I'd thought was the quintessential music production device, Elektron's Octatrack, and turns it into an experimental musical instrument--using nothing but stock sound libraries.
nodog
Just checked that a bit. Very impressive but I'm breaking out in sweats just thinking of using Elektron gear in this way. It's so far off from what I like about making music (hands on, intuitive) and more like deep programming.

Again, nothing wrong with that and good to see how other people approach musicmaking but surely not for me.
blipson
Yeah, his kind of expertise comes from a lot of, well, manual reading. But it seems to me all that nerd-like prep pays off when the thing and its operations become so second nature that it becomes a live instrument in his hands, a sort of learned intuition. Somehow, I find the tactile quality of Elektron's MKII devices immersive in the way they feel in relation to the responding sound. Soma's touch sensors, not so much, unless perhaps you use the right hand moisturizer. My modded Pipe has two ordinary momentary switches whose action I like better than the sensors. I think it would be welcome if Vlad installed trim pots to adjust the sensors' sensitivity to account for variation in relative humidity.
nodog
You've got a point about the pads/sensors on the Pulsar. I've never given it a thought myself being blown away by the sound and sculpability of that sound after having stuff going.

Regular drumpads might have been nicer to have, they may have been omitted just for design reasons.
blipson
No moving parts on the sensors means zero wear and tear. But mine have misbehaved in humid weather.
Panason
blipson wrote:
For me, it's between this and Elektron Analog Rytm MKII. I don't want to go both this time, not just due to financial, but workspace limitations. It looks to me like the AR has better live performance (at least one-handed) due to more and velocity-sensitive strike pads. Also, the AR has as wide a sonic range (agree?) even if it's not quite the same family of sounds.

Nope to all of those points. The elektron pads are shit and you can forget one-handed operation, unless you like to stay on the same pattern.

The Pulsar also appears to obliterate anything else in terms of sonic range.
hemeroscopium
Got info from Vlad himself :

"Pulsar has ground pin and range 0-10v for all signals"

Which means integration with Ciat/Buchla is a yes from day 0 grin MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy SlayerBadger! applause

Love <3
dan_p
erenod wrote:

excellent news indeed. I need to knock up some 1/4' to Croc leads for my Hordijk

screaming goo yo
slam
erenod wrote:
Got info from Vlad himself :

Which means integration with Ciat/Buchla is a yes from day 0 grin MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy SlayerBadger! applause

Love <3

Great news! I’m really excited to get my hands on this!
Bobby
Any one at superbooth who's checked this out yet?

Actually just found a sonic state review! https://youtu.be/GhuKP5qZO8s
electricanada
Bobby wrote:
Any one at superbooth who's checked this out yet?

Actually just found a sonic state review! https://youtu.be/GhuKP5qZO8s

Way too big, too heavy, too expensive, and I don't have space for it. I can't hold it in my lap like the Lyra. And yet I must have it.
chvad
Nelson Baboon wrote:

dit to the to
jdaddyaz
At first I wasnt that blown away, but after watching the latest Sonic State video I cant stop thinking about what I can sell to afford one.
anselmi
Recording quantize mode needed
behndy
jebusssss STOKE THE VINEGAR.

STOKE THE VINEGAR.

IT QUICKENNNNNNNS.
Panason
"possibility of live circuit bending using your body"

I CALLED IT!

Croc clips -> nipple clamps.
Bobby
anyone going down there to check it then?
Bobby
anselmi wrote:
Recording quantize mode needed

im cool with it... most the time i'll use an external sequencer. appreciate the option of messing with it unquantised when im feeling goofy tho

Panason wrote:
"possibility of live circuit bending using your body"

I CALLED IT!

Croc clips -> nipple clamps.

this is by far my favourite part of this video.
Panason
It has patch points labelled OMG and WTF....

More incredible sounds here:

I can't wait to find out the MIDI spec and sync options since the onboard sequencer is unquantized. Even if it just syncs to an audio pulse it would be sufficient...
Being able to trigger the onboard sequencer recordings externally would be sweet.

Basically how much can you control it, as it obviously does chaos very easily.

The other thing would be whether it recognizes MIDI note length .. it would suck to have to use a MIDI to CV converter.
It's insane how it can sustain the percussive sounds into wicked continuous tones!
Bobby
Panason wrote:
It has patch points labelled OMG and WTF....

More incredible sounds here:

I can't wait to find out the MIDI spec and sync options since the onboard sequencer is unquantized. Even if it just syncs to an audio pulse it would be sufficient...
Being able to trigger the onboard sequencer recordings externally would be sweet.

Basically how much can you control it, as it obviously does chaos very easily.

The other thing would be whether it recognizes MIDI note length .. it would suck to have to use a MIDI to CV converter.
It's insane how it can sustain the percussive sounds into wicked continuous tones!

Wow. +1 on confirming midi spec but I'm so sold right now.
hemeroscopium
Good lord, im so glad i got on the list early + already saved the cash. Now just waiting is gonna kill us all. Hopefully its here in June/July... Every next video just ads to the fire Dead Banana help SlayerBadger!
behndy
lol. right? i wishhhhhh Vlad would take a chunk of change as a down. not even to save a spot in the queue, but to get the money AWAY FROM MY EASILY TEMPTED FINGERS and where it belongs.
anselmi
seriously, no quantize mode? this breaks my heart

I mean, yeah, you can use an external sequencer, but a big part of instrument like this is the direct approach...use the triggers to feed the looper

I like my music clockwork...please add just a quantize MODE, not always quantization, so you human-timing hippies/hipsters will be happy too...or go play bongos Mr. Green
drowld
Is the waitlist already long ? i need this in my life
PapaG
In my opinion with a drum machine so sonically avant garde, you really need at least the option to quantize in order to have a foundation on which to build the chaos.
Kja
anselmi wrote:

I mean, yeah, you can use an external sequencer, but a big part of instrument like this is the direct approach...use the triggers to feed the looper

I like my music clockwork...please add just a quantize MODE, not always quantization, so you human-timing hippies/hipsters will be happy too...or go play bongos Mr. Green

It has shift dividers, you can make it work with some clever patching.. is analog so I don't think it can quantize like that.
electricanada
anselmi wrote:

It’s got a clock and divider built in. All the soulless beats you could ever want just from that. hihi
fwheel
Pulsar fever builds up more and more after each video from Superbooth. I entered the pre-order list on June 14 last year so I take it I ought to be quite high on the list Guinness ftw!
hemeroscopium
BoBeats, DivKid's, Vlad, PCA vids are fire too Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana the hype is real this time around.

Bobby
Yes. Thank you for posting!
plainofjars
He says in the third video of erenod’s post that the waitlist is 700 persons long. I got on in feb.
hemeroscopium
13 march here, so maybe 1st batch too... :fingers crossed:
behndy
do you guys mean.... Feb/March of.... this year? or last?

i pre-order emailed in August, of 2018. i hoooooope that puts me early list wise?

i have SO many crunchy excitement berries for this.
hemeroscopium
This year, so you should be far far ahead grin. Im almost convinced of getting 2 of them, orang and black. Using one for drums, 2nd for melody & wired noises/drones. Orang & Black. I think you could play lots of live sets with 2 of this, some FX and some keyboard synth (haken continuum + looper xD) razz minimal rig.
Bobby
erenod wrote:
This year, so you should be far far ahead grin. Im almost convinced of getting 2 of them, orang and black. Using one for drums, 2nd for melody & wired noises/drones. Orang & Black. I think you could play lots of live sets with 2 of this, some FX and some keyboard synth (haken continuum + looper xD) razz minimal rig.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna need two. More and more blown away!
drowld
plainofjars wrote:
He says in the third video of erenod’s post that the waitlist is 700 persons long. I got on in feb.

no way it's that long. It's pretty 'expensive' being 1200to1500 and 700 persons is huge.
Anyone wanna give me his spot on the list ? grin
behndy
lol. well. i mean. there issssss no money down to reserve a spot, so i can see there being WAY more people saying Sure Thing Friendo than would actually come out of pocket for it?

and OOF. i am not disputing it's worth, it seems like the last sound creation drum machine i would ever need to buy, but if they end up closer to 12 hundred US DOLLARS vs 15 hundred EUROS.... i would be. very, very happy.

can. not. WAIT for this thing.
Panason
I wonder how they will work the waiting list since a good % will not have the money ready. How did it work with the Lyra?

I emailed asking what position I'm in but no reply. They must have many hundreds (if not thousands) of emails to deal with after these videos came online.

I can imagine Aphex T will have ordered at least 3.
Bobby
Don't think this one has been posted. I'm so in love.

https://youtu.be/s4Lp9gConlc
behndy
lol. if RDJ wants to skip ahead of me, I UNDERSTAND.

what i was told, and how the Lyra went, if i remember right, is you get an email saying your spot is ready, then i think a week to pay it down or they go on to the next person?

i have kept space on a card for a half year now.

Bobby wrote:
Don't think this one has been posted. I'm so in love.

https://youtu.be/s4Lp9gConlc

yessssssssssss.
j bowman
I ordered this afternoon, no. 879 apparently. I was told "it shouldn't be too long of a wait"

hyper
electricanada
behndy wrote:
and OOF. i am not disputing it's worth, it seems like the last sound creation drum machine i would ever need to buy, but if they end up closer to 12 hundred US DOLLARS vs 15 hundred EUROS.... i would be. very, very happy.

With shipping and customs, I expect the total price to get one delivered to be closer to $1800-1900.
electricanada
Looks like the external cv filter mod goes to Q, not freq. Surely there must be some way to modulate freq?
jdaddyaz
Man Soma is on fire. I want everything they put out. Didn't think I liked the Pipe too much, as it came across as really gimmicky, but now I want one after watching Gaz's video covering it.
anselmi
Kja wrote:
It has shift dividers, you can make it work with some clever patching.. is analog so I don't think it can quantize like that.

it´s not the same...I want to PLAY this thing, not program it, but want my playing to be in perfect time just for aesthetic reasons...it isn´t rocket science, I can do this in my modular using the AND function of a logic module, but implement by the maker would be even easier, since the looper is just a digital recorder of analog pulses. It´s a matter of reduce the resolution to, say, 16 steps per bar

electricanada wrote:
It’s got a clock and divider built in. All the soulless beats you could ever want just from that. hihi

say it to Roger! razz

behndy
electricanada wrote:
behndy wrote:

With shipping and customs, I expect the total price to get one delivered to be closer to $1800-1900.

LET ME LIVE MY DREAAAAAAAAMSSSSS.
Panason
That's all well and good but I don't think I've heard any snare sounds yet...EDIT: there are a few on the BoBeats vid but not enough.

Cymbals, bass and clap type sounds are my favourites so far
chvad
Panason wrote:
That's all well and good but I don't think I've heard any snare sounds yet...EDIT: there are a few on the BoBeats vid but not enough.

Cymbals, bass and clap type sounds are my favourites so far

I mean... don't we all have a trillion conventional snares by now? YOU KNOW YOU DO.
h4ndcrafted
I wasn’t that thirsty for this till I saw the superbooth stage demo.

Wow it just sounds so alive , only certain analogues seem to have that vibe, organic, the Vermona DRM mrk 2/3 is one.

Endless evolving sound design, this and a loop sampler for adding voices could be soundscape heaven. A must have now.
hemeroscopium
Yeah i think this will become a milestone/classic in 20-30 years people will kill to have one of these. Paradigm shift.
slam
Sounds dangerous to own
Panason
Pulsar 23: how to get on with your neighbours
Shakespeare
This thing looks just incredible. And given how amazing the Lyra was, it will clearly be of top-notch quality. I'm on the list, but hate to think how long the wait will be, since I waited until this week. d'oh!
drowld
Damn the list is already more than 1100 people long. see ya in 4 years Dead Banana
moloque
Glad that I went on the list last June. Rockin' Banana!
Didn't received number but only a confirmation email... So should be somewhere under 700...
Still couple of months to make place for it... Dead Banana Dead Banana
Panason
I got on the list last summer too.

I might be forced to sell it on as my finances are currently unstable ... I wonder how many pieces SOMA will make.
oldgearguy
drowld wrote:
Damn the list is already more than 1100 people long. see ya in 4 years Dead Banana

It's easy to claim a place in line w. no money down necessary. When it's finally shipping and if the price is around 1500 (Eur/USD) that 1100 will shrink to a much smaller number.
hemeroscopium
yeah, usually its 1/3 that remains. Given the hype of this product it will be okay if 50% meets the $ necessary. Still that's 550 units +++ razz
nodog
I've also pre-ordered in June without getting a nr. As I have an orange Lyra it seems cool to have a matching Pulsar so I've asked about the possibility to get colored Pulsars early on (not having to give up my place in line for wanting orange I mean)

I got a reply that the Pulsar will be available in black, white and orange and I shouldn't worry about it. I read that as that those colors will be available from the start but I don't wanna state this as something written in stone.
Synth Con Meo
I don't know if it was said anywhere before but I am wondering if Soma is going to produce these out of 2 shops like they did with the Lyra-8. That would help out with getting out the shipments a lot quicker.

Originally I was intrigued by this when Vlad first showed it. But I told myself I really don't need it or need to spend the money. After seeing more demos and it in it's more or less production configuration I am also now Jonesing for it. Not on the list yet though.
seeasound
I think its a really gr8 synth that sounds like an analog version of gotharman....like im the target market pretty much as im more a play it over sequence it kinda guy...but its now so hyped up and has every gushing so hard that im a bit turned off by it hehe....its also seems pretty big and heavy.

idno i guess im a lil messed in the head and think too much when it comes to this stuff... despair:

Will maybe check it out in a few years if i still really want it.
chvad
drowld wrote:

glad to be #108! It's peanut butter jelly time!
behndy
lol. i'm not sure where i am at in the queue, should be relatively low, 'm just crazy pants excited about having one. every single time a new vidja/revision is up my pants get THAT. MUCH. TIGHTER.

yurp. i read somewhere that they would be offered in orange, white and black, with probably the option for custom colors.

might be boring, but i want black. kinda got a desktop theme going on.
Shakespeare
For those of you who are confirmed to be on the list, and got on recently, how long did it take to receive confirmation? I sent the email as requested on the website, but haven't had any response.
Panason
I got confirmation within 2 weeks but that was last year. I suspect SOMA's mailbox is currently flooded and they probably need to hire another person to deal with it!
chvad
behndy wrote:
might be boring, but i want black. kinda got a desktop theme going on.

When given the option I always lean towards the tacky shit... so im probably going orange for the win... but my lyra is white! MY ASS IS BLEEDING lol
hemeroscopium
Orange for me for sure, going too look nice with all the ciat-lonbarde colorful banana shiet ;D
Jee
I got on the list in oct18 and Leeza answered me but I never got a number....
Anyway, I'm sure that they will cope with the workload as they now have 2 production sites as I understood smile
jimmie
I should be relatively low on the list but I can't afford one any way now so have to pass this time - one short list, good luck you guys!
ronni
does anyone know if there's a way to mute parts? i don't see any mute bottons but i haven't got a 100% clear view of the whole interface [i've been pausing the various -often shaky/blurry- videos trying to figure things out].

also, on the upper far left there are some patchpoints w arrows pointing -i suppose- "from eurorack to pulsar". what about signals "from pulsar to eutorack"?

well, lots of other questions, that a manual or even a quick guide could easily clear out...
even a big clear photo would be nice for everybody to admire, study, drool over, etc...
Bobby
I believe I've seen Vlad mute parts in the demo yes.
drowld
Just quick headsup apparently they will be able to deliver quiet fast because they told me "we are ready for a big production here in EU, now we have 5.000 different gears in the production for SOMA only and it works smile"

soooo
Shakespeare
applause applause applause
behndy
oh man. so MOIST if they start shipping soon. i mean. wheneverrrr they're ready, Sploosh By Pam.

lol. but if soon, then i am GLAD i've been banking Yes Please cashes.
hemeroscopium
The sooner the better really, "synth money" itches if it just lays on the account eek! w00t
smetak
Soma makes them fast and shipping is even better - when I ordered my Lyra 8, they said it would take around two to three months - I heard back from them in about two weeks......they're extremely efficient.

Will certainly be ordering a Pulsar, but in no hurry on getting on the list.
behndy
erenod wrote:
The sooner the better really, "synth money" itches if it just lays on the account eek! w00t

lol. feeeeeel you. i'm actually in a really solid place right now. only new stuff i'm jonesing for is the WMD Crucible and the Soundmachines New Line Loots.

but waiting till i have Pulsy Purchasing POWER all assured and shizz before i grab anything new.
electricanada
behndy wrote:
oh man. so MOIST if they start shipping soon. i mean. wheneverrrr they're ready, Sploosh By Pam.

Pam’s New Workout, now with happy ending.
behndy

but i like your way better.

PAM'S NEW WORKOUT FOR LIFF.
pheu
ronni wrote:

also, on the upper far left there are some patchpoints w arrows pointing -i suppose- "from eurorack to pulsar". what about signals "from pulsar to eutorack"?

Just saw Vlad demoing pulsar for few hours. You can use those 3.5mm patchpoints for ins and outs. Also 6 jacks in the back can be used as in or outputs. Both audio and cv

He used external synth through pulsar and it was pretty amazing too. Those alligator clip patchpoints are going to be a bit taller in the final unit so it's easier to connect multiple clips. All in all it sounded a lot better live than on youtube clips. It has amazingly deep and open system to tweak sound
ronni
Quote:
Just saw Vlad demoing pulsar for few hours. You can use those 3.5mm patchpoints for ins and outs. Also 6 jacks in the back can be used as in or outputs. Both audio and cv

He used external synth through pulsar and it was pretty amazing too. Those alligator clip patchpoints are going to be a bit taller in the final unit so it's easier to connect multiple clips. All in all it sounded a lot better live than on youtube clips. It has amazingly deep and open system to tweak sound

Amazing!!!!
That's what i was hoping for....only much better applause
thanks a lot for the info.
xonetacular
I'm interested in seeing some demos of the range of each voice and what it can do completely unpatched.
wvrm
I saw Vlad's demonstration of the Pulsar-23 at Helsinki Synthetic and was frankly blown away. It's so far beyond what's usually considered a drum machine... I'm not sure it would fit my workflow or musical needs but damn if I'm not tempted.
fwheel
I saw it in Helsinki as well and – I'm in the complete opposite with everyone else here – I was actually a little off-put with it, to my surprise. It's hard to explain why, but when I was watching the earlier prototype videos and the Superbooth videos I was more excited for it, once I was staring it a meter away and heard it live it didn't really grab me as much anymore.

Maybe I've just overhyped the Pulsar in my head as this be all end all machine and the initial excitement is beginning to wear off, which otoh might just be a positive thing in the end.
dubonaire
fwheel wrote:
I saw it in Helsinki as well and – I'm in the complete opposite with everyone else here – I was actually a little off-put with it, to my surprise. It's hard to explain why, but when I was watching the earlier prototype videos and the Superbooth videos I was more excited for it, once I was staring it a meter away and heard it live it didn't really grab me as much anymore.

Maybe I've just overhyped the Pulsar in my head as this be all end all machine and the initial excitement is beginning to wear off, which otoh might just be a positive thing in the end.

It doesn't do it for me either. A giant expensive machine for four drum voices with really clunky alligator clip patch points. I think Folktek achieves this with much greater economy.
timeforest
counterpoint: it looks incredibly sick and fun and is the most forward thinking perc box thats come around in who knows how long
Bobby
dubonaire wrote:
fwheel wrote:

It doesn't do it for me either. A giant expensive machine for four drum voices with really clunky alligator clip patch points. I think Folktek achieves this with much greater economy.

Ive had enough of austerity, monster drum machines are better for society comrade!
Panason
This will do gazonga basslines too... but I need to hear more of the snare voice before I'm sold.
dubonaire
timeforest wrote:
counterpoint: it looks incredibly sick and fun and is the most forward thinking perc box thats come around in who knows how long

Oh I think it looks like heaps of fun.
Panason
Finally a good look at the machine

Geek out! What's happening at the two left-most columns?! hieroglyphics! eek!

I can see a MAD! patch point as well as the OMG and WTF ones!
electricanada
Panason wrote:

Upper left is 1/8” to alligator.
Lower left looks like access to the 1/4” output jacks on the back.
Above those are four utility attenuators.
Above those are midi to cv converters with learn function?
To the right of midi to cv is the chaos module.
Above chaos looks like an OR gate, two capacitors whose application I don’t get, and two square-to-saw converters? Not sure what those are for either.

A couple other things I don’t get yet:
Are there any normaled outs?
The distortion section applies to what? Everything?
What are the two little modules left of the volume? I see two VCOs, two inverters, but what are the other two? Soma website suggests “cv-controlled gates”, but I’m not sure I understand how this works.
The upper right switch in the delay section: I get bpf as bandpass, but not the other two positions. Dbl is double? Pch?
The mix in post receives external audio or cv? And does what with it?
Each voice has ext in. To mix audio in with the voice? Before fx and envelope?

I would like the fx send to be cv-able on each voice, but don’t see an option for that.
Panason
Quote:
I would like the fx send to be cv-able on each voice, but don’t see an option for that.

Right, it would be a shame if that's not controllable in some way. hmmm.....

I wonder if he's implemented MIDI CC control of some of this stuff.

It does look like the distortion applies to everything..

Also strange is that there seems to be no CV control of filter cutoff on any of the voices. Looks lke the MOD patch points go to the resonance pot. Perhaps the EXT points work as envelope followers for the filter cutoff?
electricanada
Panason wrote:

Also strange is that there seems to be no CV control of filter cutoff on any of the voices. Looks lke the MOD patch points go to the resonance pot. Perhaps the EXT points work as envelope followers for the filter cutoff?

I noticed that too. Strange choice. Why mod the Q but not the cutoff?

I assumed the Ext was an audio input to the filter, due to the arrow on the left. Could it also be a cv input to the filter?
chvad
" I noticed that too. Strange choice. Why mod the Q but not the cutoff? "
My guess would be because he's making a thing that doesn't exist anywhere else so he's making choices that reflect that kind of eccentricity? I mean... I really have no clue but I feel like this box is so far off the deep end I'm kind of just buying a ticket to the show and seeing where the director leads me on this one.
Bobby
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:

[img][/img]

Above chaos looks like an OR gate, two capacitors whose application I don’t get, and two square-to-saw converters? Not sure what those are for either.

What are the two little modules left of the volume? I see two VCOs, two inverters, but what are the other two? Soma website suggests “cv-controlled gates”, but I’m not sure I understand how this works.
The upper right switch in the delay section: I get bpf as bandpass, but not the other two positions. Dbl is double? Pch?

Im Thinking:

Quote:
"and two square-to-saw converters?"

Maybe are envelopes?

===============================================

also hoping:

Quote:
Each voice has ext in. To mix audio in with the voice?

Is actually a different way of saying CV control for the filter.... not convinced but hoping.
Bobby
Bobby wrote:
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:

Im Thinking:

Quote:
"and two square-to-saw converters?"

Maybe are envelopes?

===============================================

also hoping:

Quote:
Each voice has ext in. To mix audio in with the voice?

Is actually a different way of saying CV control for the filter.... not convinced but hoping.

my hope has perked up a little on CV control of the filter. Ive looked at the original prototype and it had this:

electricanada
Interesting that it’s on the original but not the prototype. I doubt the ext in post is a filter mod input. That would violate the design pattern.
Bobby
electricanada wrote:
Interesting that it’s on the original but not the prototype. I doubt the ext in post is a filter mod input. That would violate the design pattern.

...im thinking a typo maybe. (they are both prototypes after all.) I trust Vlad to make the right decisions but currently struggle to believe you wouldnt be able to modulate the filter freq on the finished version. (not that it'd put me off though)

keen eyes will spot we have extra mod points on v2 too which makes the lack filter-freq modulation (apparently substituted for multiple filter input points) even more curious.
jdaddyaz
I just need bitcoins to rise in value by the time this ships. Then it shall be all mine! Weird choice on the filter mod. The fx section seems to have a attenuated for the freq. I wonder if that applies to all the filters?
Bobby
Bobby wrote:
electricanada wrote:

...im thinking a typo maybe. (they are both prototypes after all.) I trust Vlad to make the right decisions but currently struggle to believe you wouldnt be able to modulate the filter freq on the finished version. (not that it'd put me off though)

keen eyes will spot we have extra mod points on v2 too which makes the lack filter-freq modulation (apparently substituted for multiple filter input points) even more curious.

Another supporting fact to my theory that "ext" is actually a mod input: the bass drum pitch has an "ext" input.....

Been a long time since I've stared at some knobs and wondered what they do for this long! This box already makes me feel like a teenager again and it isn't here yet.
electricanada
Bobby wrote:
Bobby wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Another supporting fact to my theory that "ext" is actually a mod input: the bass drum pitch has an "ext" input.....

Been a long time since I've stared at some knobs and wondered what they do for this long! This box already makes me feel like a teenager again and it isn't here yet.

BD also has a tune knob with a mod input. I think that one modulates pitch. Why there is another pitch knob on a drum is another question. I’m guessing the ext in is the same on all four modules, since it’s in the same place on all.
anselmi
I still want a quantized input MODE...for me this is something that you can´t leave out of a premium drum machine seriously, i just don't get it
chvad
anselmi wrote:
I still want a quantized input MODE...for me this is something that you can´t leave out of a premium drum machine seriously, i just don't get it

You can still sequence it quantized externally no? I guess if I saw this as anything remotely traditional that would bother as well but I really see this as something filed under "other".
Panason
You can play it via MIDI, it was done in some of the videos.

I can't see it getting quantization though.
As has been said somewhere, you can probably use the LFOs and dividers to create quantized rhythms on the machine-how well that syncs to MIDI clock remains to be seen.. if you can warp the LFOs somehow there might be some funk in there.
electricanada
Here's another thing that I am completely baffled about: In some of the Superbooth videos, Vlad says that you can insert into eight different places in the recorded trigger patterns. But I don't see anything at all that indicates that capability. (I sure hope it's not hidden away in the midi implementation.)
Panason
SOMA posted on GS:

Quote:
Hi,
The Pulsar 23 will have banks of user patterns. Were implementing a very interesting way of pattern control where you can play them the more traditional way e.g.:a, b, c, a. And/or mash between them live and everything in between for some really cool and bizarre grooves without stopping. We'll be posting more info soon, stay tuned

Hard to see how the patterns will be selected from the front panel- this is becoming an "everything, including kitchen sink" project!
hemeroscopium
Lol, there is even more functionality? *__*. Just release this monster already we're not worthy help
anselmi
chvad wrote:
anselmi wrote:

You can still sequence it quantized externally no? I guess if I saw this as anything remotely traditional that would bother as well but I really see this as something filed under "other".

Panason wrote:
I can't see it getting quantization though.
As has been said somewhere, you can probably use the LFOs and dividers to create quantized rhythms on the machine-how well that syncs to MIDI clock remains to be seen.. if you can warp the LFOs somehow there might be some funk in there.

this would miss the point of an instrument that have touch plates in front of your fingers to be played live

I don´t want to use a midi controller to play this machine, it´s beg to be played from this touch plates

just want a quantized mode that could be engaged if you want to...this shouldn´t be a problem to such a piece of gear
Bobby

Sounds and looks dead lush to me...
Bobby
also Q-mod in the above video sounds more like freq-mod to me?

(Disclaimer: on the move listening on a phone speaker)
Mosiej
any idea when this work of art will be released? It says winter 2018/2019 on the site still**
Bobby
Last I heard, hopefully August.
Mosiej
Bobby wrote:
Last I heard, hopefully August.

Fingers crossed!
LameAim
Out of curiosity, is there any official word as to what the size of the Pulsar-23 is? Height/width/depth? Or even ballpark figures?
Bobby
LameAim wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there any official word as to what the size of the Pulsar-23 is? Height/width/depth? Or even ballpark figures?

All I've got is 270x380 from the comments here: https://youtu.be/_EyiBu2bSH8
LameAim
Bobby wrote:
LameAim wrote:

Thank you! I'm changing my setup around and trying some layouts with Visio.
Bobby
LameAim wrote:
Bobby wrote:
LameAim wrote:

Thank you! I'm changing my setup around and trying some layouts with Visio.

That's ok my friend. Good to put my autistic like special interest with this box to some use while I wait for it!
codenuts
Does anyone know where the number 23 comes from?
Panason
codenuts wrote:

Yes, the subject is a pretty out there rabbit hole and goes well with dope and acid smile

Connected with the significance of the number 23 in DNA, it is a "magical number" that has been observed by various mystics and psychedelic explorers to be connected with synchronicity, the collapse of order and other such lofty concepts as well as associated with the star Sirius B which is believed by some to be where we and/or extraterrestrial visitors come from... (including the primitive Dogon tribe in Mali "reported by some researchers to have traditional astronomical knowledge about Sirius that would normally be considered impossible without the use of telescopes" )
Also a favourite for numerological explorations.

Possibly the best (and first?) book exploring this number is Robert Anton Wilson's Cosmic Trigger ... As the author himself will advise, taking all of this too literally would be a mistake. Quite a few people over the years have gone a bit loopy exploring this stuff without a sense of humour and an understanding that "reality" is most of the time our own projection...
fwheel
Panason wrote:
codenuts wrote:

Yes, the subject is a pretty out there rabbit hole and goes well with dope and acid smile

Connected with the significance of the number 23 in DNA, it is a "magical number" that has been observed by various mystics and psychedelic explorers to be connected with synchronicity, the collapse of order and other such lofty concepts as well as associated with the star Sirius B which is believed by some to be where we and/or extraterrestrial visitors come from... (including the primitive Dogon tribe in Mali "reported by some researchers to have traditional astronomical knowledge about Sirius that would normally be considered impossible without the use of telescopes" )
Also a favourite for numerological explorations.

Possibly the best (and first?) book exploring this number is Robert Anton Wilson's Cosmic Trigger ... As the author himself will advise, taking all of this too literally would be a mistake. Quite a few people over the years have gone a bit loopy exploring this stuff without a sense of humour and an understanding that "reality" is most of the time our own projection...

With the way more boring answer being (from Soma's website): "PULSAR-23 is an organismic drum machine that is currently in development at Soma. It has a semi-modular structure and consists of 23 independent modules"
Panason
Heh, I'm assuming Vlad is familiar with the musings I posted as he's a pretty "out there" guy judging by his output.
behndy
lollololollololollolol.

Panason
Definitely aliens.
behndy
lol. he is ALWAYS an appropriate answer. to ANYTHING.
electricanada
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:

Still confused about all of this. I had at first glance assumed that the diode graphic represented an AND or OR logic, but it only has one input so I don't see how that could work. Basically this entire section is obtuse to me.
codenuts
Just pre-ordered! Exactly one year after the first announcement. cool
Shakespeare
Do you mean "actually spent money" pre-ordered, or just "got on the waiting list" pre-ordered? Would be exciting to think this is close enough that they're starting to take
codenuts
Shakespeare wrote:
Do you mean "actually spent money" pre-ordered, or just "got on the waiting list" pre-ordered? Would be exciting to think this is close enough that they're starting to take

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you. I'm just on the waiting list ...
Shakespeare
Dead Banana
Bobby
electricanada wrote:
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:

Still confused about all of this. I had at first glance assumed that the diode graphic represented an AND or OR logic, but it only has one input so I don't see how that could work. Basically this entire section is obtuse to me.

From the website:

Quote:
You can connect the clips together.
6. You can easily connect the clips to individual electronic parts like capacitors, diodes etc.

My best guess is that Vlad, Grzegorz and crew have included a diode and some capacitors to encourage this exploration..
codenuts
Bobby wrote:

My best guess is that Vlad, Grzegorz and crew have included a diode and some capacitors to encourage this exploration..

I think you're completely right!
electricanada
I just watched the original demo of Vlad's prototype. I like that original form factor better. The production prototype is too big, whereas the original was about the size of the Lyra, which seems perfect for playing in your lap. I could live without the features that made it grow too large.
Panason
I agree. A smaller, less "mad scientist" version would be nice. I know I wouldn't use all those patch points and some I would probably leave connected all the time.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
I agree. A smaller, less "mad scientist" version would be nice. I know I wouldn't use all those patch points and some I would probably leave connected all the time.

one with less hippie timming Rasta-nana more quantize mode! R2D2
neonmercury1
anselmi wrote:
Panason wrote:

one with less hippie timming Rasta-nana more quantize mode! R2D2

Yeah this for me is the only thing that still makes me almost hesitate. I for one am totally up for maximal patchpoints and having a size that allows ergonomic ease. but not having a quantize mode on a drum machine no matter how experimental is a bit of an odd choice. maybe vlad thinks that if your looking for that kind of sequencing you will use a midi sequencer to play it but i feel like that demishies the appeal of this machine. not as if i wont still buy it but still a bit frustrating. i know its been talked to death but maybe they read our pleas and add a quantize mode.
electricanada
Learn to play music in time? Pretty much all musical instruments expect you to do so.
chvad
electricanada wrote:
Learn to play music in time? Pretty much all musical instruments expect you to do so.

nanners
anselmi
electricanada wrote:

because it´s an instrument it doesn´t have to be played like a guitar or piano...it´s an electronic instrument so "learn to play" doesn´t have to mean "play it in time, like your regular instrument"

I like the aesthetic of mechanical, exact-timing rhythms, and I´m just asking for a quantized OPTION...so your human timing is still save for you...so why it´s a bad thing?
Panason
Adding a quantize mode is probably far from trivial! From what I heard in the videos you can set up a click as a metronome- that's what he seemed to be doing most of the time.
Of course Vlad's musical interests are far from conventional and this is going to be more of a "broken beats" machine unless you sequence it externally. Pairing this with a Machinedrum would be total techno carnage.
hemeroscopium
Really, quantising is for sissies ;P. Imo if you want perfection, go with midi. You'd almost always want to introduce swing to humanize even a bit, so maybe just learn to make proper beats by heart and treat human error as swing?

Also i got mail from SOMA its gonna happen late summer/early fall (1st production run).
electricanada
anselmi wrote:
electricanada wrote:

because it´s an instrument it doesn´t have to be played like a guitar or piano...it´s an electronic instrument so "learn to play" doesn´t have to mean "play it in time, like your regular instrument"

I like the aesthetic of mechanical, exact-timing rhythms, and I´m just asking for a quantized OPTION...so your human timing is still save for you...so why it´s a bad thing?

It’s a synth, not a drum sequencer. You may as well ask for quantization on a violin—it’s a category mistake. That said, if you want mechanical, exact rhythms it will easily make them with its internal clock divider, or you can pipe them in with midi or cv.
Bobby
...because i find all this quantization talk boring, i dont think this video has been posted yet and i post one everytime the topic comes up:

Bobby
also anyone more electrically minded have any thoughts on the general use of diodes and capacitors in a machine like this? gotta say this part is the most exciting part to me.
RickKleffel
I'm most intrigued by the channel designated BASS as opposed to BD, presumably Bass Drum. Given MIDI, it seems possible that, via the BASS channel, percussive pitched SOMA sounds could, in theory, be played; perhaps even from the P-23. As for timing, I've recently become inclined to let go of perfectly in-sync timing.

My experience thus far with SOMA gear has been that the sound is unqiue and fantastic. It requires re-thinking one's mixing defaults, at least in my own extremely in-expert case. I certainly do not need another drum machine, so the fact that this is not a drum machine is a plus so far as I am concerned.
Richard deHove
On the question of timing: Watching the demo performances at SB19 I'm pretty sure that even Vlad's input drumming are many times out of sync. However, it also appeared to me that he kept "playing into the loop" until he got a pass that satisfied. What I couldn't work out was exactly how the overdub and/or overwrite functionality worked.
electricanada
Richard deHove wrote:
On the question of timing: Watching the demo performances at SB19 I'm pretty sure that even Vlad's input drumming are many times out of sync. However, it also appeared to me that he kept "playing into the loop" until he got a pass that satisfied. What I couldn't work out was exactly how the overdub and/or overwrite functionality worked.

His Soundbooth demos sounded to me like it was resetting every four beats. So no matter how far out he got with his timing, it still came back together on the downbeat every measure.
Panason
RickKleffel wrote:
I'm most intrigued by the channel designated BASS as opposed to BD, presumably Bass Drum. Given MIDI, it seems possible that, via the BASS channel, percussive pitched SOMA sounds could, in theory, be played;

Not in theory! he shows that in one of the videos. The Bass channel is a basic monosynth and sounds good. Seems that all the channels can be played like this and the sounds can be sustained.

Richard deHove wrote:

There are "Add" and "Delete" buttons on each channel. Also, using the colonial name for Tasmania is not cool, because genocide.
Richard deHove

Another (excellent) demo by Vlad. But it'd be interesting to hear what someone else can come up with. Are there any videos with someone else playing?
Shakespeare
SOMA just posted this on FB... definitely prefer it to the orange!

hemeroscopium
Since they now got the final final unit before production we should get price & dimensions soon ~~ my body is ready.
Panason
My bank account is not ready until October cry I think it may be time to get into a bit of credit card debt as these machines will become very sought after.
chvad
september seems so faaar away. Seems like they will have Orange, black and white units. Ive always been a sucker for orange!
anselmi
Shakespeare wrote:

not as sexy as I imagined, but better than the orange one anyway
electricanada
Since the Pulsar was announced, I’ve bought a D-2000 and a Plumbutter, and my weird drum machine budget is running pretty low, not to mention my need for yet another weird drum machine. That said, I’ll take one in white, please.
chvad
anselmi wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

not as sexy as I imagined, but better than the orange one anyway

all the orange ones for me then!!!! Guinness ftw!
behndy
Vlad The Vlad, in a response to a comment on that FB post, said “1,500 Euros net" for price. and available "in a month".
electricanada
behndy wrote:
Vlad The Vlad, in a response to a comment on that FB post, said “1,500 Euros net" for price.

So $1750-1800 shipped to the US, I'm guessing. Pretty, pretty steep.
Sanys
black looks gorgeous
LameAim
Hmm. Black looks a lot better than I expected.

Was thinking about going orange since it’ll eventually be next to a Matriarch, but now I’m less sure. Wonder how the white version looks.
hemeroscopium
1500.... well, expected since all that H Y P E
Sanys
Yep looks like quite expensive drum machine
Panason
I don't like the white cap knobs, I think it'll look classier with Moog-style silver caps.

VLAAAAAAAD!
chvad
hemeroscopium wrote:
1500.... well, expected since all that H Y P E

that was speculated price wise way before the first prototype was even shown. i dont think the price is reflective of the hype at all.
racooniac
i think 1.5k is not really expensive compared to the fact that you get barely 2 modules from "that expensive cwellectors item brand" for the same money soma gives us 23.

i'm in =) (as soon as my bank account lets me haha)
Sanys
its unique machine, no doubt!
Bobby
In the comments here Vlad say it'll get quantisation: https://youtu.be/JQEkQxUg7Yk

chvad
man he is KILLING it in this demo. Really cool shit.
electricanada
Bobby wrote:
In the comments here Vlad say it'll get quantisation: https://youtu.be/JQEkQxUg7Yk

That was two weeks ago. Looks like another long wait until it ships then.
Bobby
electricanada wrote:
Bobby wrote:

That was two weeks ago. Looks like another long wait until it ships then.

Yeah i was initially a bit like "i just want it now, eff the quantisation!!" but i gotta respect the mans art and find peace with it. it's done when its done i guess....
anselmi
Bobby wrote:

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t nanners nanners nanners nanners nanners Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
electricanada
Bobby wrote:

Yeah i was initially a bit like "i just want it now, eff the quantisation!!" but i gotta respect the mans art and find peace with it. it's done when its done i guess....

I have no need at all for the quantizer. It will be turned off pretty much always. And by the time the Pulsar ships I may not have the money. I've already bought a D-2000, a Plumbutter, and built a fairly large modular in the year since he announced this thing. I already have more percussion options than I could explore in a lifetime. But I really want one of these suckers.
Bobby
electricanada wrote:
Bobby wrote:

I have no need at all for the quantizer. It will be turned off pretty much always. And by the time the Pulsar ships I may not have the money. I've already bought a D-2000, a Plumbutter, and built a fairly large modular in the year since he announced this thing. I already have more percussion options than I could explore in a lifetime. But I really want one of these suckers.

Oh me too. Totally don't care about the quantisation but a lot people liked the idea so I guess Vlad came around.
Bobby
Bobby wrote:
electricanada wrote:
Bobby wrote:

Oh me too. Totally don't care about the quantisation but a lot people liked the idea so I guess Vlad came around.

My biggest concern is that it happens before the UK self destructs tho!!
platform
Correspondence from Soma says that they are hoping to ship some during September.

I think I am in the first batch so hopefully I can pay before the UK leaves the EU causing the price of the Pulsar to be beyond my means. I do feel guilty for worrying about this as I know that Brexit has already and will place a lot of people in a position that is much worse than worrying about boutique audio gear.
Bobby
platform wrote:
Correspondence from Soma says that they are hoping to ship some during September.

I think I am in the first batch so hopefully I can pay before the UK leaves the EU causing the price of the Pulsar to be beyond my means. I do feel guilty for worrying about this as I know that Brexit has already and will place a lot of people in a position that is much worse than worrying about boutique audio gear.

I feel worse about the fact I helped create a small part of the internet and that it is now used to deliver hate and fear. We all have demons to live with but wanting a drum machine is one I'm less worried about.

(....Gerald Donald was right)
Panason
Bobby wrote:

I feel worse about the fact I helped create a small part of the internet and that it is now used to deliver hate and fear. We all have demons to live with but wanting a drum machine is one I'm less worried about.

(....Gerald Donald was right)

You were/are just one of many cogs in the machine of anti-social media. You could feel less bad if you gave away the money that you made doing that... (instead of buying Cwejman modules, mwa ha ha twisted ).
What is more tragic/comic is that those who warned about what was about to happen were laughed at at the time by the drinkers of the Silicone Valley Kool Aid.
Panason
Vlad posted on GS 14 hours ago and said first units shipping in September. Dead Banana
hangars liquides
I have some questions, some of which may have been answered already, sorry if so...

- which dsp the sfx is processor is based on ? would there be a possibility to upload some new algos ?
- how many trigger patterns can be stored ? could they be dynamically adressed ? (i.e. shortening their duration, jumping between them, etc)
electricanada
hangars liquides wrote:
I have some questions, some of which may have been answered already, sorry if so...

- which dsp the sfx is processor is based on ? would there be a possibility to upload some new algos ?
- how many trigger patterns can be stored ? could they be dynamically adressed ? (i.e. shortening their duration, jumping between them, etc)

He’s made some comments about inserting into the cv recordings, but I haven’t been able to infer anything at all about that from looking at the panel. I would guess there is one pattern per instrument.
Panason
It's not a CPU based machine so those things are probably not on the menu. As far as I can tell it's using simple trigger recorders that loop around and there seems to be no way to mess with the recordings, unfortunately. There is no USB port so changing the FX would need hardware modification...unless there is an internal USB port but there has been no mention of anything like this.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
ItThere is no USB port so changing the FX would need hardware modification...unless there is an internal USB port but there has been no mention of anything like this.

or use MIDI transfer
hangars liquides
Yes Anselmi.. or even playing an audio file into some inputs the way Mutable Instruments update their firmware...
Panason
anselmi wrote:

or use MIDI transfer

I would rather stay in bed. Dead Banana
hangars liquides
Got those fresh news from Soma, to whom I asked the questions I was trying to get an answer here : (snare rolllllll..... ///// !!!!)

1- after a recording takes place, there will be a 16th note quantize function.
2- the fx , 2 independent dsp engines will not be user upgradeable, but since you can modulate many of its parameters, we doubt you'll run out of interest possibilities and results.
3- There will be four banks containing 4 channels of available loops and yes they have cool features such as abilities to jump and punch-in recording/deleting from one to another.
Bobby
The manual!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cb7AWZQGrgik55-PGLMCSMZO9X0T3C6N/view
behndy
murrrrr i am READY.

TAKE ME.
Panason
please, no help
Quote:

The patch-point design and specially calculated input impedance make it easy to use the artist’s body as a connecting cable.

Simply remove the protective sleeves!
electricanada
Bobby wrote:
The manual!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cb7AWZQGrgik55-PGLMCSMZO9X0T3C6N/view

Can't wait to hear the cucumber fork patch.
Panason
Some interesting bits from the manual:

Quote:
Looper Recorder memory is volatile. When the Pulsar is turned off, the contents of the memory are reset.

Quote:

While LR has a basic quantize option for individual LR channels, it does not allow for step-by-step editing of a rhythmic pattern. .....

...The recording resolution is 96 events per pulse of the clock signal, which for a standard situation is 192 events per sixteenth note.

Quote:

Please remember that the looper-recorder has a clock up-sampling process that needs a little time for setting. The first few dozens of milliseconds after MIDI clock start can be inaccurate. To avoid this, the timespan between stop and start on your DAW or sequencer that feeds MIDI-clock to Pulsar, has to be at least 5 seconds (then the up-sampling system stops to wait for the next clock pulse and saves the previous value that will be used after clock start).

I think this means that if you stop your MIDI sequencer and start it again without waiting at least 5 seconds, you may get a timing glitch. This is the only manufacturer I have ever seen that mentions such a clock issue in their product , in the product's manual! applause
Quote:

If the SHAOS clock is very fast, the generator will start working in the audio range and can be used to synthesize complex waveforms.
eek! eek! eek!
Quote:

pulse converter — designed to convert rectangular signals into short pulses
suitable for triggering synthesis modules. Designed to work with the clock divider, but can be used in various experiments.

The bass synth uses a DCO.

Quantizing a loop recording will stop playback.
Quote:
will quantize the content of the channel to 16 notes. The LR will stop when this operation is performed.
Bobby
Really hoping the DCO ain't quantised (to trad tuning) I've asked on Facebook and eagerly awaiting a reply.

Edit: the loop recorder stuff doesn't worry me. I have a sequencer for that.
anselmi
Panason wrote:
Quantizing a loop recording will stop playback.
Quote:
will quantize the content of the channel to 16 notes. The LR will stop when this operation is performed.

what?

so it doesn´t have real time input quantization?
or it means that if you are running the looper and engage quantization it stops but then when played again it records quantized events in real time? hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

from the manual:
Quote:
BANK + L + M + one of the sensors (ADD or DEL) of the desired LR channel — will
quantize the content of the channel to 16 notes. The LR will stop when this operation is
performed. To start it again, use the start function. For the quantize function to work correctly,
please make sure that the LR is aligned with the clock dividers!! To do this, press the
RST button on the CLOCK module before recording, and\or connect the LRST pin to the
0.25 output of the clock divider, and use a metronome during the recording!
Panason
It sounds to me like it always records unquantized, and because the recorders are high res, you really have to play in time as your mistakes will be captured. This is a tricky design choice ... and since the quantization is only straight 16ths, this will need to be sequenced from another sequencer, for a lot of people.

Also... is there a way to apply high pass filtering to the bass drum??? I have found that pretty much indispensable for analog kicks, esp. with a little resonance... I would have gladly sacrificed some other features to have a resonant HPF in the BD channel.
Perhaps the HPF from the HH channel can be hi-jacked razz for the job?

Price is 1500 euro (excluding VAT, taxes, shipping).waah
Bobby
It ain't got a sequencer people. It has loop recorders. This seems to be the source of confusion imo.
behndy
yeahhhhhh. i mean. Vlad added a quantization option after there were complaints/requests, and now people are bitching about the implementation? use MIDI if you want quantized results?

i am SO excited for this thing.
anselmi
Bobby wrote:
It ain't got a sequencer people. It has loop recorders. This seems to be the source of confusion imo.

yeah, I read this but what the heck does it means? it´s an audio looper? event looper? both? none?

behndy wrote:
yeahhhhhh. i mean. Vlad added a quantization option after there were complaints/requests, and now people are bitching about the implementation?

yes, because this is not what we want

IMHO what this machine needs is a real time input quantize option, that it´s a very basic feature that you can find in a zillion devices from decades ago

OK, "it´s a looper, not a sequencer"...yeah, but in use it behaves as a pattern sequencer, so I think it should be a way to implement it

i.e. : add AND processors to the drum triggers, attached to the clock divider, so it just triggers each drum just when both the trigger touch plates AND a clock pulse are present

I´m not an engineer so this is just the only basic/idiot solution I can think of, but I imagine that somebody who can create such a piece of gear is way more capable of make it happens

Quote:
use MIDI if you want quantized results?

nope...I don´t want to attach a sequencer, I want to use the looper with a simple input quantize option....why? because of WORKFLOW...I like all-in-one gear and this machine would be perfect with this option

and I´m sure I´m not the only one that think this way...sadly the maker seems to not catch what we want

Quote:
i am SO excited for this thing.

lucky you
electricanada
Pulsar is designed to respond "organically" to touch input, and to record that input into loops. It's not designed to be a drum pattern computer. It's a new and different paradigm, and you guys want it to be something it's not.

I like the new paradigm. I much prefer it to boring drum sequencers. I like that Vlad is doing something new and different. I like that he's not allowing himself to be forced into old conventions by people who lack the self-discipline to develop basic musicianship, and who thus require a machine to correct their own technical deficiencies.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
Pulsar is designed to respond "organically" to touch input, and to record that input into loops. It's not designed to be a drum pattern computer. It's a new and different paradigm, and you guys want it to be something it's not.

I like the new paradigm. I much prefer it to boring drum sequencers. I like that Vlad is doing something new and different. I like that he's not allowing himself to be forced into old conventions by people who lack the self-discipline to develop basic musicianship, and who thus require a machine to correct their own technical deficiencies.

this is because you (maybe Vald too) think that the only way to get "organic" results should be something that is not quantized

this is an electronic instrument, so why it should be "organic" just because it has an unquantized way or recording?

if I want organic I play a drum kit, a cajon or a tupperware...and WOW, this is unquantized, and also have an infinite number of sound responses to my touch, way more than any electronic instrument

also: if it´s the paradigm, why add MIDI control? just let the thing be played "organically"

in this context, ask for input quantize is nothing strange...it´s part of an device that have some limitations in their conception as an "organic" electronic instrument
electricanada
How can you implement quantization in this unit in any way other than what Vlad has already done? In this environment, quantization has to be after the touch, meaning that the first touch must always be "organic". It is impossible to be otherwise, given the fundamental laws of time and space. It's a loop recorder; it cannot predict the future in order to quantize it. For that, you would need a computer into which you program rhythms instead of performing them.

This is a performer's machine, not a programmer's machine.
Panason
electricanada wrote:
It's a new and different paradigm, and you guys want it to be something it's not.

Don't drag me into this, I'm just quoting the manual for things that people need to know.
I get Vlad's vision but I also think Anselmi's request is totally reasonable. having to stop the playback to quantize, limits what musical styles you can improvise live with the Pulsar on its own. Pretty much all of electronic music containing beats has relied on machine quantization from day one..

You can have realtime input quantization, but yeah it probably needs a CPU. Triggers simply play on the next clock subdivision, depending on your quantization setting.

It's no big deal for me as I don't need a drum machine, and wouldn't improvise drumming live on static pads, I'm more interested in this as a drums-and-bass synth module and sampling fodder.
behndy
f'shiggs. i'm not saying that people shouldn't say how they want a device to be but.... maybe pay attention at root what device the DESIGNER wants it to be? if you look at everything Soma Labs puts out, Vlad has a very distinctive approach to music instrument interface.

"yes, because this is not what we want"

"IMHO what this machine NEEDS is a real time input quantize option, that it´s a very basic feature that you can find in a zillion devices from decades ago"

"and I´m sure I´m not the only one that think this way...sadly the maker seems to not catch what we want"

Vlad DID listen to what people were asking for, took the effort to add it. instead of appreciating that, having a response of "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER." seems a bit..... childish?

there's a billion drum machine options, if the designer's vision doesn't jell with with what you want, find one that does?

lol. or. like. if you know exactly how a device should work in every conceivable aspect, build your own?

i am beyond excited to get my hands on a Soma Labs idea of a drum machine.
Panason
...but he didn't use block capitals and didn't say "wrong, make it better"...

I'm pretty sure there will be ways to use the LFOs and clock dividers to make all kinds of intricate quantised rythms in whatever timing you want... I hope so at least.
electricanada
Better to think of this machine in the same category as Plumbutter. No one would dream of asking Blasser to put a quantizer on that beautiful baby.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
How can you implement quantization in this unit in any way other than what Vlad has already done? In this environment, quantization has to be after the touch, meaning that the first touch must always be "organic". It is impossible to be otherwise, given the fundamental laws of time and space. It's a loop recorder; it cannot predict the future in order to quantize it. For that, you would need a computer into which you program rhythms instead of performing them.

I already answered this...you can quantize the triggers before reach the register (looper) just using an AND processor

Quote:

meh

behndy wrote:
Vlad DID listen to what people were asking for, took the effort to add it. instead of appreciating that, having a response of "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER." seems a bit..... childish?

what looks really childish or somewhat neurotic is your answer, man
looks like you are like angry because I asked for a feature...is it your company or maybe you are a friend or relative to Vlad?

In any case, what´s wrong to ask for a feature in a public forum or to have an opinion about something 100% on topic?

and please use quotation marks to literal writing, I never wrote this stupid phrase "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER."

you did

electricanada wrote:
Better to think of this machine in the same category as Plumbutter. No one would dream of asking Blasser to put a quantizer on that beautiful baby.

well, categories are subjetive...as well as the use that people gives to gear...ask roland and the tb-303

and I never liked the sound of the Plumbutter so no having quantization never bothered me...I do like this machine a lot and please, I´m just asking for a feature that doesn´t violate human rights or something
electricanada
anselmi wrote:
electricanada wrote:

I already answered this...you can quantize the triggers before reach the register (looper) just using an AND processor

Quote:

meh

I don't think it's that simple given Vlad's model of real-time adding and deleting. If it were possible, he would surely have done it.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
anselmi wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Quote:

meh

I don't think it's that simple given Vlad's model of real-time adding and deleting. If it were possible, he would surely have done it.

or maybe he doesn´t understand that this is a required feature

anyway, let stop speaking by him (unless you are part of the company and know what he is doing)

as long as I understand by reading the manual the so called "looper" doesn´t record audio, but "events" instead...so "looper" is just a fancy name for a sequencer, and the manual also called it a "sequencer" sometimes

the fact that it doesn´t have any other edition than delete doesn´t stop it to be a sequencer

the SP-1200 (and SP-12) have the very same approach to rhythm construction and nobody called it the SP "looper"...it just a sequencer,
and it have real time input quantize

and no, it´s not a technological miracle, nor use a tachyon-based processor to travel forward in time and knows what you are going to play
chvad
"it´s a very basic feature that you can find in a zillion devices from decades ago "

That might be the very reason he's not interested in it. Who knows? I'm def in the camp of I don't care about quantizing. Mainly because I have that option all over the place in my setup. Even if I didn't I'm pretty sure I'd still be interested in the designers preference. Especially Vlad's. IMO that's what I'm paying for.

On the other end of things you have boxes like the Deluge and Synthstrom are total badass' about adding features that consumers want and such but they're radically different pieces of hardware and in many many ways.. i believe they will compliment each other incredibly well.
behndy
anselmi wrote:

and please use quotation marks to literal writing, I never wrote this stupid phrase "WRONG. NOT WHAT I WANT. MAKE IT BETTER."

you did

meh. i thought it came across as i meant it, me paraphrasing your silly stance, my bad if it wasn't clear. nope. you did not literally say that.

lol. not angry at all. and homie, i could hardly care less about your opinion. i don't know you, from all your whinging on i don't care to know you, i was just expressing my opinion about how annoying and frustrating it must be for a builder to be told what he must include on his machine.

make your own right?
Bobby
Thing I've always liked about capitalism is that it offer choice to buy the shit you like and not buy the shit don't like. Don't like it. Don't buy it. Simple, why waste your energy.
behndy
Bobby wrote:
Thing I've always liked about capitalism is that it offer choice to buy the shit you like and not buy the shit don't like. Don't like it. Don't buy it. Simple, why waste your energy.

exaaaaaaactllllly!

i LOVE that there's so many options. pffffft. its amazing that such a niche device can get so hyped that people are invested in it's relevant merits.

delicious yet SALTY.
oldgearguy
behndy wrote:
Bobby wrote:

exaaaaaaactllllly!

i LOVE that there's so many options. pffffft. its amazing that such a niche device can get so hyped that people are invested in it's relevant merits.

delicious yet SALTY.

As someone pointed out earlier, the line of products from Soma so far have been fairly eclectic. There's a particular orientation to them towards live interactive use. Fair enough. That may be great for some folks and a burden to others.

The good news is that based on those earlier products, there's no reason to be an early adopter of the Pulsar. Lots of people will buy it initially and then in a month or so, some subset of them will be put up for sale because they simply didn't get along with it.

It's the same way for other niche products. Personally, I'd rather see companies take chances and do different things and let the gear buying public decide what's worth owning (or not).

No piece of gear is going to be perfect for everyone. There's always going to be some trade-offs and that's why the used market is thriving. You don't really know if some piece of gear is going to work for you until it's in your hands and in your studio setup.
Panason
Hmm , looking at the clock divider, it only offers straight subdivisions. 1/4 , 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... so it may not be possible to patch up more funky rhythms without external sequencing.

If a drum machine is beyond Vlad's scope, I think a smaller (and cheaper) version geared more towards studio use would be nice. Simpler trigger pads (eg fixed velocity), no loopers, and with a few more semi-normalled connections, e.g. not having to patch to get sounds out of the individual outs.

The way it looks now is that you do need to patch if you want individual outs... the 6 output jacks are "freely assignable", which I don't really understand the reason for.
oldgearguy
Panason wrote:
Hmm , looking at the clock divider, it only offers straight subdivisions. 1/4 , 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16.... so it may not be possible to patch up more funky rhythms without external sequencing.

If a drum machine is beyond Vlad's scope, I think a smaller (and cheaper) version geared more towards studio use would be nice. Simpler trigger pads (eg fixed velocity), no loopers, and with a few more semi-normalled connections, e.g. not having to patch to get sounds out of the individual outs.

The way it looks now is that you do need to patch if you want individual outs... the 6 output jacks are "freely assignable", which I don't really understand the reason for.

I saw that too. I guess you could want to patch a module to more than one output, or maybe patch the output of some sub-section, or (depending if it's really a straight wire connection between pins and jacks) you could use them for external inputs (audio or cv).

I agree that it seems like an unnecessary level of patching, but what's another 6 connections on top of the other 100+ ?
electricanada
anselmi wrote:

the SP-1200 (and SP-12) have the very same approach to rhythm construction and nobody called it the SP "looper"...it just a sequencer,
and it have real time input quantize

and no, it´s not a technological miracle, nor use a tachyon-based processor to travel forward in time and knows what you are going to play

There is no machine that can quantize a late hit in real time. That requires time travel. The AND gate method mentioned above simply deletes any hits that aren’t in grid time, which is hardly conducive to groove.
electricanada
Panason wrote:

Looks like you can get weirdness very easily. But it would have been nice to be able to play in basic meters like 3, 5, or 7 without having to leave the box.
Panason
electricanada wrote:

There is no machine that can quantize a late hit in real time.

No but there is the next best thing, which is to play everything on the next clock subdivision after the trigger input, depending on a chosen quantization value. So that a late hit plays even later but is on the grid.
And this can get fine-tuned by allowing hits that are only late by a tiny fraction to play unquantised...

I think Vlad chose the tech that he did because it gives the most rapid response for live playing. Judging by what he writes in the manual, that seems quite important to him as he writes that it's almost as instantaneous as hitting a real drum. He's clearly much more into devices as performance instruments rather than sequencer based things.

The problem with this for me is that those small metal pads aren't the kind of surface I could play percussion on and I'm not a finger drummer...so I'd still use MIDI or trigger pads.... and I just realised I could feed it the audio from my Wavedrum.... hmmm.....
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
There is no machine that can quantize a late hit in real time. That requires time travel. The AND gate method mentioned above simply deletes any hits that aren’t in grid time, which is hardly conducive to groove.

as I said before, I´m not an engineer, but you can use a parallel system that let the drum be triggered immediately but recorded quantize...this is the way it works in most sequencers with input quantize

behndy wrote:
meh. i thought it came across as i meant it, me paraphrasing your silly stance, my bad if it wasn't clear. nope. you did not literally say that.

"silly"? why writing about a feature that I think this device lacks, is silly?

Quote:
lol. not angry at all. and homie, i could hardly care less about your opinion. i don't know you, from all your whinging on i don't care to know you, i was just expressing my opinion about how annoying and frustrating it must be for a builder to be told what he must include on his machine.

you write a lot for somebody who don´t care
please, do what you say and ignore my opinions!

Bobby wrote:

what I love about internet is to use my time and freedom of expression to write whatever I think in a forum that is supposed to be for exactly this

honestly I don´t understand why all you people get bothered by my own opinion about this device...it´s not a disrespectful one, nor an attack to your own opinion, not even I asked to get rid of a feature that you like

but regardless of any of this, I only read people who speak for the designer, as if they were part of the company or close friends of him.

Said that, I´ll back to the topic...still think that this machine could be improved by the add of switchable real time input quantize, that (apart from offending susceptible people) don´t make the unit less capable, just better to some potential users
Mr. Sound Boy King
What we can recall in the event of the "Pulsar" from SOMA is that one does not need to recognize it as "superior" or "inferior" compared to one another's opinion.

The fact it exists surpasses the imagination of the weak because of Historical Factors in Russia as well as Poland (read a book if you don't believe me). That's where this is manufactured or made.

I agree with those who have said here "make your choice" as if choosing is real. The universe, being pre-ordained by god or Jesus or whoever, does not exactly decide for us what we do but hindsight is 20/20. So if you already have owned a Pulsar I will listen to your opinion from the future. But if not, not.

Essentially, everyone wants a voice inside their electronic gear which is why so many feature requests and bugs have already been reported here. That is why instead of talking to your friend on the phone or rather, writing a letter as in days of yore, one puts one's voice into the Pulsar on the Internet.

Do not mistake the Internet Pulsar for the one which sits on your desk (already if you are one of those chosen in the future) for they are different and require a different register of linguistics to speak of. That is why I haven't pulled the trigger...
chvad
aaaaaaand SCENE. that's a wrap everyone. great job. see you tomorrow on set.
echologist
All I know is Im ready to pay... SlayerBadger!

The demos have been all the convincing I need.
Bobby
anselmi wrote:
electricanada wrote:

as I said before, I´m not an engineer, but you can use a parallel system that let the drum be triggered immediately but recorded quantize...this is the way it works in most sequencers with input quantize

behndy wrote:

"silly"? why writing about a feature that I think this device lacks, is silly?

Quote:

you write a lot for somebody who don´t care
please, do what you say and ignore my opinions!

Bobby wrote:

what I love about internet is to use my time and freedom of expression to write whatever I think in a forum that is supposed to be for exactly this

honestly I don´t understand why all you people get bothered by my own opinion about this device...it´s not a disrespectful one, nor an attack to your own opinion, not even I asked to get rid of a feature that you like

but regardless of any of this, I only read people who speak for the designer, as if they were part of the company or close friends of him.

Said that, I´ll back to the topic...still think that this machine could be improved by the add of switchable real time input quantize, that (apart from offending susceptible people) don´t make the unit less capable, just better to some potential users

I'm not bothered..Id just like the thread to stay on track and maintain a positive discussion about what the box does have rather than it fill up full of bullshit.about what it don't got.

Edit. Like I ain't saying don't comment on things you'd like to see but really. This thread is about 50% shit about the non sequencing features of the loop recorders.
Panason
So Vlad is from the future? Is there some electronic mysticism going on under the hood? IS THIS ALIEN TECH FOR TRANSMITTING TO THE MOTHERSHIP?

....I still think HPF on the bass drum is needed though w00t
slam
Panason wrote:

The manual says you can connect several of them together and they are summed.
behndy
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:
What we can recall in the event of the "Pulsar" from SOMA is that one does not need to recognize it as "superior" or "inferior" compared to one another's opinion.

The fact it exists surpasses the imagination of the weak because of Historical Factors in Russia as well as Poland (read a book if you don't believe me). That's where this is manufactured or made.

I agree with those who have said here "make your choice" as if choosing is real. The universe, being pre-ordained by god or Jesus or whoever, does not exactly decide for us what we do but hindsight is 20/20. So if you already have owned a Pulsar I will listen to your opinion from the future. But if not, not.

Essentially, everyone wants a voice inside their electronic gear which is why so many feature requests and bugs have already been reported here. That is why instead of talking to your friend on the phone or rather, writing a letter as in days of yore, one puts one's voice into the Pulsar on the Internet.

Do not mistake the Internet Pulsar for the one which sits on your desk (already if you are one of those chosen in the future) for they are different and require a different register of linguistics to speak of. That is why I haven't pulled the trigger...

RIDE THE CRUMBLY SHUTE OF THE GODDESS FORK.

or, i FEEL you my little love bunny.

Bobby wrote:
Like I ain't saying don't comment on things you'd like to see but really. This thread is about 50% shit about the non sequencing features of the loop recorders.
anselmi
Bobby wrote:
I'm not bothered..Id just like the thread to stay on track and maintain a positive discussion about what the box does have rather than it fill up full of bullshit.about what it don't got.

Edit. Like I ain't saying don't comment on things you'd like to see but really. This thread is about 50% shit about the non sequencing features of the loop recorders.

sorry, but one man's shit is another man's gold.

In the past I have been warned by other users about the lack of features or certain specifications (that was negative) of a product, and that was valuable information from which I decided not to buy or wait for a solution

What seems absolutely unnecessary are your answers about you want to me stop talking about it.

If what you want is a place to praise certain manufacturers without somebody who can criticise them, please write them a personal email. It is not necessary to call of "bullshit" the opinion of members of this forum that are totally valid although they clash against your own for whatever reason you could have.

So I´ll keep comment whatever I want no matter you like it or not, as long as it is on topic and does not lack respect for anyone
electricanada
slam wrote:
Panason wrote:

Can you figure out how to get a basic clock in 3, 5, or 7 by doing that? Such arithmetic is over my head.
anselmi
electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
Panason wrote:

Can you figure out how to get a basic clock in 3, 5, or 7 by doing that? Such arithmetic is over my head.

With this clock divisions I don´t think so...It would need a reset input

Maybe you can modulate the clock speed (as in the DFAM) to simulate this
slam
electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
Panason wrote:

1+2=3
4+1=5
1+2+4=7
electricanada
slam wrote:
electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
Panason wrote:

1+2=3
4+1=5
1+2+4=7

If only it were that easy.
anselmi
slam wrote:
electricanada wrote:
slam wrote:
Panason wrote:

1+2=3
4+1=5
1+2+4=7

sorry, but this will not work as you expect...triggers in the same place (time) just generate a redundant event

Panason
Vlad is answering questions on the GS thread... sounds like that you'd have to use external sequencing to get triplets.
Quote:

yes, they (looper recordings) are lost upon power off, yet all midi assignments are saved. so best to prep a recorder if you're not merely performing live.

We believe this will gently push some of you to commit (record-making there and then) while keeping you on your toes when performing live, just like an acoustic instrument would. This is where happy accidents occur and you're always at the edge musically.

Yes, intricate and interesting patterns are what we aimed for, we're fans of IDM, Jungle, Indian Raga/African Drumming and contemporary electronic techno and urban grooves. If you require micro editing rather then mastering and trying to play it in (which we highly recommend)
, then our quantize and even better the DAW will be your best tool, our internal tests with devices such as ERM Multi Clock has shown below micro-second midi latency response.

I guess there's always the tempo knob for slowing down the BPM, playing in your jungle breakcore gangsta groove at slow tempo and then speeding it up.
blw
Quote:
yes, they (looper recordings) are lost upon power off, yet all midi assignments are saved. so best to prep a recorder if you're not merely performing live.

We believe this will gently push some of you to commit (record-making there and then) while keeping you on your toes when performing live, just like an acoustic instrument would. This is where happy accidents occur and you're always at the edge musically.

He's keeping us on our toes like worrying about power cycles? hihi

I might be happier with volatile memory if it is keeping the price or complexity lower, but its funny to frame it as a blessing for 'artistic' reasons.
electricanada
Panason wrote:
Vlad is answering questions on the GS thread... sounds like that you'd have to use external sequencing to get triplets.

You can always play your triplets into the looper by hand, just like you can play your odd-meter grooves into the looper by hand. It's only if you require machine assistance that an external device becomes necessary. I kind of like that Vlad's design pushes people to develop and rely on real-time musicianship, rather than simply manipulating someone else's programming.
Bobby
i cant log in to GS! if anyone else cares can they clarify if the DCO is quantized or unquantized please. im guess if its a DCO its quantized to some degree but im hoping it isnt set to western intervals.

(basically i wanna do microtuned scales)

>>>> scrap this. Got into my account thanks.
Panason
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:

You can always play your triplets into the looper by hand, just like you can play your odd-meter grooves into the looper by hand. It's only if you require machine assistance that an external device becomes necessary. I kind of like that Vlad's design pushes people to develop and rely on real-time musicianship, rather than simply manipulating someone else's programming.

I program my own beats, good sir. Haven't turned to MIDI files just yet eek! I'm not so fussed about this as to argue, but you may know that, in general, a lot of electronic music is about sequenced stuff that cannot be played by hand, and it's the machine groove of sequencers that makes it appealing to a lot of people.

Being able to program in certain things brings out ideas that I wouldn't come up with by playing things manually. So I usually combine both manual playing and step sequencing to come up with beats.
electricanada
Panason wrote:
electricanada wrote:
Panason wrote:

I program my own beats, good sir. Haven't turned to MIDI files just yet eek! I'm not so fussed about this as to argue, but you may know that, in general, a lot of electronic music is about sequenced stuff that cannot be played by hand, and it's the machine groove of sequencers that makes it appealing to a lot of people.

Being able to program in certain things brings out ideas that I wouldn't come up with by playing things manually. So I usually combine both manual playing and step sequencing to come up with beats.

I get that. It's why I like modular--I like building machines that surprise me with things I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. But I'm not crazy about robotic drum machine music. I like that Vlad is pushing in a new direction instead of replicating what's already been done.
behndy
that is toooootes the appeal of modular to me as well.

those moments of I DUNNO WHY THE FUZZY BEAR BALLS THAT HAPPENED BUT MANNNN I AM GLAD IT DID WOOT are transcendent
Bobby
Bobby wrote:
i cant log in to GS! if anyone else cares can they clarify if the DCO is quantized or unquantized please. im guess if its a DCO its quantized to some degree but im hoping it isnt set to western intervals.

(basically i wanna do microtuned scales)

>>>> scrap this. Got into my account thanks.

Confirmed by Vlad by other means. Quantised to standard western imteravls via midi. Unqauntized by CV.

Im a very happy bunny! Rockin' Banana!
Bobby
I'm looking for a way to mount this on top of my euro cases in an upright fashion. Some thing a bit like this I'm imagining (but ideally some way of clamping):

https://www.djmmusic.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=22307&SEName=tiger -desktop-sheet-music-stand-adjustable-tabletop-book-stand-48cm-x-34cm& gclid=Cj0KCQjww7HsBRDkARIsAARsIT66C99dXnwgDcY4BMZm3qZ1WXbgbZHTU0MpKCtW Tcs9NdLp4aJP_T4aAuwdEALw_wcB

Anyone got any ideas?.
behndy
murrrrr so not coming out September? sad face.
Bobby
behndy wrote:
murrrrr so not coming out September? sad face.

yeah Ive been dying to ask if anyone's had an update. its gotta be soon!
Panason
It's not just "coming out", there's a waiting list. I can imagine certain gentlemen will be offering Vlad extra money to jump the queue and some others will be putting it on ebay at 2x the price.
Bobby
Panason wrote:
It's not just "coming out", there's a waiting list. I can imagine certain gentlemen will be offering Vlad extra money to jump the queue and some others will be putting it on ebay at 2x the price.

I'm 90 something on the official list, ain't seen nout on eBay yet. Trent may have his but I figure it just ain't ready personally.
platform
Soma wrote in an email to me today:

"We will start shipping to early bird customers within a month or so. We're in mass production and it'll ramp up for others as we go."
Bobby
platform wrote:
Soma wrote in an email to me today:

"We will start shipping to early bird customers within a month or so. We're in mass production and it'll ramp up for others as we go."

Nice one for the update. Thank you!
echologist
Man oh man, the suspense waiting on this email hyper

Literally been sitting on money avoiding buying any other gear waiting on this beast. Something has to give help
slam
echologist wrote:

Literally been sitting on money avoiding buying any other gear waiting on this beast. Something has to give help

That is why you have two kidneys.
Bobby
echologist wrote:

Got a Mail from Soma on the weekend........

.......It was about the pipe. Oh the roll coaster.
echologist
slam wrote:
echologist wrote:

That is why you have two kidneys.

hihi
echologist
Bobby wrote:
echologist wrote:

Got a Mail from Soma on the weekend........

Do tell Sir!

.......It was about the pipe. Oh the roll coaster.
behndy
lol. right? that email..... was..... hard.

TEASE.
gosh
Glad it's not just me that thought that! Bastards wink
electricanada
What email? I didn’t get one....
RickKleffel
The email was for owners of the Pipe; SOMA now has a device by which it can be easily mounted on a mic stand, which may be the holy grail of "game changer" for some [prospective] users [buyers]. I told them to ship mine with the Pulsar and they told me [on 10/22/19] the Pulsars would be shipping in a month or two at most so I sprang for now.

As for Pulsar, I'd much prefer they "take their time and do the quality job" than rush it out underdone. I'm guessing they won't be software upgradeable, or not easily so, thus better they get it super-right the first time. Looking forward to running it with the A4Mk1, etc. Fun!
behndy
of COURSE. i am all the impatient to own one, but i trust in Vlad. i don't think he would put something out till it's ready.

hence my DESIRE.
muddy ranks
RickKleffel wrote:
...they told me [on 10/22/19] the Pulsars would be shipping in a month or two at most...

I'm probably waaayyy down on preorder list, but this is good to know.
Jee
didn't catch up 19 pages... I see in the manual a splendid black version... did soma say if it will be available in multiple colours? (at least black but I wouldn't be against a white one to go with my LYRA-4)
It might be more than a year i'm on the list now... wait is long (surely for the best!!)
lionel
Black orange and white
RickKleffel
Announced in Facebook, they’re shipping!
behndy
woot! EXCITING!
Bobby
Vlad also said only about 100 in the first batch. I’m in the first 100 on the list but haven’t received a mail yet. Dying of excitement!
SOMA Labs
HI Guys,
I see looong discussion on about Pulsar's quantisation function with "why it doesn't quantize the performance on the fly and needs a special process that stops playing?"
Some explanations:
A usual midi sequencer records a timestamp of a note beginning and for quantizing it you need just to correct that figure to the nearest specified integer note, that is very easy. Pulsar is a kind of virtual tape recorder that records ALL manipulations with ALL sensors, including velocity during each note in real time. It lets you do a lot of things that are impossible with a usual midi recorder - you can change the velocity DURING the note (one note can have different velocity inside), you can play a long note and then chop it using DEL pad during the next run etc. All it has sense cause PULSAR recognize sustain time as well. But it has a drawback - one note takes a huge amount of information in the recording memory. And quantization process is like I need to cut a tape by each note and shift these pieces one by one to correct position sample by sample in our case. It takes a lot of computations. So it's impossible to make on the fly - the MCU has to go offline, otherwise, we lose the beat. So please don't compare it with usual sequencers that record just several bytes for each note. PULSAR looper\recorder has different design and provides other possibilities, I hope you will appreciate it when you will get your hands on and try. Thanks wink
chvad
Bobby wrote:
Vlad also said only about 100 in the first batch. I’m in the first 100 on the list but haven’t received a mail yet. Dying of excitement!

lol im 108 and chomping at the bit for sure lol.
anselmi
SOMA Labs wrote:
HI Guys,
I see looong discussion on about Pulsar's quantisation function with "why it doesn't quantize the performance on the fly and needs a special process that stops playing?"
Some explanations:
A usual midi sequencer records a timestamp of a note beginning and for quantizing it you need just to correct that figure to the nearest specified integer note, that is very easy. Pulsar is a kind of virtual tape recorder that records ALL manipulations with ALL sensors, including velocity during each note in real time. It lets you do a lot of things that are impossible with a usual midi recorder - you can change the velocity DURING the note (one note can have different velocity inside), you can play a long note and then chop it using DEL pad during the next run etc. All it has sense cause PULSAR recognize sustain time as well. But it has a drawback - one note takes a huge amount of information in the recording memory. And quantization process is like I need to cut a tape by each note and shift these pieces one by one to correct position sample by sample in our case. It takes a lot of computations. So it's impossible to make on the fly - the MCU has to go offline, otherwise, we lose the beat. So please don't compare it with usual sequencers that record just several bytes for each note. PULSAR looper\recorder has different design and provides other possibilities, I hope you will appreciate it when you will get your hands on and try. Thanks wink

thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate you take the time for this

so sad to read this since I love all the other features in this machine, but this is a dealbreak for me...it will kill my workflow/performance

I really don´t need the sequencer (or looper) to record all this stuff, I´ll be happy with just real time quantized note recording

maybe it can be implemented in the future...I´d love to have it and I´m sure a lot of people really want real time quantize too
NoLegs
chvad wrote:
Bobby wrote:

lol im 108 and chomping at the bit for sure lol.

I don't even know what my order number is waah
moloque
I don't even have a number... I should be low in the list but I don't know how many got onto the list before they started giving number?
Bobby
SOMA Labs wrote:
HI Guys,
Some explanations:

90 something and on the list for 2.

Most excited I've been in a long while about any product.
Jee
I think I am happy without quantization smile
This is another approach more organic (organismic!) to compose music and quantization would simply ruin the concept.
I see pulsar as a real instrument that you play so you have to put in the effort to play well. Otherwise there’s midi in so I assume one could record in midi with quantize and then send to pulsar?

I also don’t know my number...
moloque
Definitely don't care for quantization. I see it as an instrument on its own. My guitar, bass or drum set don't need quantization. I guess it's just that I'm more of a player than a programmer.
chvad
also don’t care about the quantizing.

regarding numbering order... i didn’t get mine at first either when i pre-ordered. I just wrote them back out of curiosity when people started posted numbers and asked.
NoLegs
chvad wrote:

regarding numbering order... i didn’t get mine at first either when i pre-ordered. I just wrote them back out of curiosity when people started posted numbers and asked.

Thanks! I’m trying that. Do you remember when you ordered?
anselmi
Jee wrote:
I think I am happy without quantization smile
This is another approach more organic (organismic!) to compose music and quantization would simply ruin the concept.

not if they implement it as an OPTION

Quote:
I see pulsar as a real instrument that you play so you have to put in the effort to play well. Otherwise there’s midi in so I assume one could record in midi with quantize and then send to pulsar?

moloque wrote:
I see it as an instrument on its own. My guitar, bass or drum set don't need quantization. I guess it's just that I'm more of a player than a programmer.

well, it seems that my definition of instrument is not as traditional as yours
this is an electronic instrument that do a zillion unnatural stuff by definition...why it should be ruled by natural rules? I can´t understand this kind of arguments seriously, i just don't get it

c´mon guys, just say that you don´t want/like quantization and it´s OK, but talk about "natural" when this is a very unnatural instrument, and use the word "instrument" as if it would only apply if you play like a bongo, sounds like old 80s rockers arguing about drum machines were killing the music.
UndercoverBrother
I think you should move on, we got your point. You just don't get the instrument philosophy, it's not for you, let it go
chvad
NoLegs wrote:
chvad wrote:

6-14-2018! Seems like forever ago lol.
behndy
lol. i'm 300ish, jealous of Earlier Grabbers, but very patient.

can't wait to hear what peoples do with theirs, can not WAIT to get my hands on mines.
Jee
chvad wrote:
NoLegs wrote:
chvad wrote:

Do you have a number?
I wrote on oct 6th 2018... curious to see where I am in the list!
NoLegs
chvad wrote:
NoLegs wrote:
chvad wrote:

Thank you! I ordered on 6-13 so maybe I snuck in the first 100.
EPTC
chvad wrote:

Same date for me! If you're #108, I'm partly hopeful I am around that as well (as that would be outside of the original 100) - A few other instruments are soon showing up that I'd also committed to years back and want to focus on learning them when they arrive too ... so I'm oddly in a position of being happy to keep waiting. It's weird how these can cluster together. What a great time to be alive when many of these ambitious inventions are getting realized.

Some time in 2020 might be great ... I'd even consider waiting til it's in shops. That will be lovely if it happens.

Just very happy it exists.

Wonderful job on the final look of the thing. I know my heart says go with black, but boy that orange looks outrageous, too.
anselmi
UndercoverBrother wrote:
I think you should move on, we got your point. You just don't get the instrument philosophy, it's not for you, let it go

LameAim
I sent an email back in June 2018 to be added to the waitlist, got confirmation back for it.

Inquired as to what number spot I had in May 2019, never got a response confused
Bobby
I wouldn't stress yet. I'm in the double digits and haven't had a mail and I spoke to someone in the single digits earlier who hasn't had their mail either.
electricanada
I got on the list on July 2, and I think I’m going to pass on this round. You’re welcome, people behind me! You owe me one....
chvad
EPTC wrote:
chvad wrote:

Same date for me! If you're #108, I'm partly hopeful I am around that as well (as that would be outside of the original 100) - A few other instruments are soon showing up that I'd also committed to years back and want to focus on learning them when they arrive too ... so I'm oddly in a position of being happy to keep waiting. It's weird how these can cluster together. What a great time to be alive when many of these ambitious inventions are getting realized.

Some time in 2020 might be great ... I'd even consider waiting til it's in shops. That will be lovely if it happens.

Just very happy it exists.

Wonderful job on the final look of the thing. I know my heart says go with black, but boy that orange looks outrageous, too.

lol I'm hoping this and my pre-ordered Summit dont arrive on the same day. Not sure what I'd do with myself lol. You know... I like the idea of a white pulsar to pair with my white lyra but I am a SUCKER for ORANGE anything. When I bought my Waldorf XTk I think the color had more to do with the synth lol. I am def rolling orange on this. It screams at me! lol
Modulus
Richard Devine shredding the pulsar23.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4yR2gbHPJm/

Wowsers
guigui
Modulus wrote:

Wowsers

HAHAHAHAHA that's insane!!!!
LameAim
Well, that sounded mental.

Also the black version is sexy AF.
moloque
Nice to hear an other one playing it!

Still cannot make my mind if I go Orange or Black. Either way I'd be happy hopefully only couple of month left waiting....
Shakespeare
I'm not coming up until #1179, so I've probably got a few months to save my
slam
Modulus wrote:

Wowsers

Wow that sounds awesome!
anselmi
Modulus wrote:

Wowsers

look guys! not a trace of unquantized hits! still you love it razz

good-old mechanical feeling...wonder how it was programmed/played
heckadecimal69
anselmi wrote:
Modulus wrote:

Wowsers

You're really stuck on that and it's a bit tired.

The triggers could easily have been unquantised, while the modulation and clocking is folding in on itself using clock dividers to keep it mathy.
slam
anselmi wrote:
Modulus wrote:

Wowsers

If it sounds good it is good.

Why are you still here? It’s fine if you don’t like it but why rain on our parade?
anselmi
heckadecimal69 wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Modulus wrote:

Wowsers

You're really stuck on that and it's a bit tired.

The triggers could easily have been unquantised, while the modulation and clocking is folding in on itself using clock dividers to keep it mathy.

grumpy boy hihi
anselmi
slam wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Modulus wrote:

Wowsers

If it sounds good it is good.

Why are you still here? It’s fine if you don’t like it but why rain on our parade?

because I can...? seriously, i just don't get it
why you?
odditymedium
in richard's videos, how is the pulsar playing "by itself"? is there an external midi clock or sequencer playing the pulsar? or is there a way to setup sequences and evolving loops within the box?

if so, then this is very good.

(this is a genuine question, meant in earnest ... i don't know enough about the pulsar)
electricanada
odditymedium wrote:
in richard's videos, how is the pulsar playing "by itself"? is there an external midi clock or sequencer playing the pulsar? or is there a way to setup sequences and evolving loops within the box?

if so, then this is very good.

(this is a genuine question, meant in earnest ... i don't know enough about the pulsar)

Three possibilities:

1. He’s playing a cv loop on the pulsar.
2. He’s sending external Gates in to the pulsar.
3. He’s sending external midi in.

All are possible.
moloque
You don't see the beginning of any patch. He could have played it with his hand (to record the loops). Than tweak it until he have a good groove than record the video... Everything can be modulated with everything....

Anyway, it does sound good so who care? hihi

It's a beast machine to practice your finger drumming skills...

d'oh! thumbs up Rockin' Banana!
odditymedium
if the sequencing is happening within the box, then this is a whole another beast - it is self contained! i don't need anything else.

i read up a bit about the loopers, but still a bit confused - how long do they loop? is it based on "bars"?

(no shade/subtext here - i'm a big fan of vlad, and know him personally, so i'm very much looking forward to the pulsar)
Bobby
odditymedium wrote:
if the sequencing is happening within the box, then this is a whole another beast - it is self contained! i don't need anything else.

i read up a bit about the loopers, but still a bit confused - how long do they loop? is it based on "bars"?

(no shade/subtext here - i'm a big fan of vlad, and know him personally, so i'm very much looking forward to the pulsar)

I can't rewatch now to help you but the fact it's Richie D and from what I can remember every minijack to crocodile clip converter (the section top left) is used, its safe to say you are hearing more than just the pulsar. How much more I wasn't entirely sure tho.
odditymedium
well, that's too bad. all i wanna hear is a pro with the pulsar straight up, no muss no fuss. not vlad, not soma, not some trade convention, but an extended pulsar-only composition. nothing off screen, no hidden magic.

having said that, i'm looking forward to sequencing the pulsar with bitwig, of course.
Bobby
odditymedium wrote:
well, that's too bad. all i wanna hear is a pro with the pulsar straight up, no muss no fuss. not vlad, not soma, not some trade convention, but an extended pulsar-only composition. nothing off screen, no hidden magic.

having said that, i'm looking forward to sequencing the pulsar with bitwig, of course.

I'm not sure Devine does anything with less than 10 random modules!! Lol
electricanada
odditymedium wrote:

Vlad said the loopers can count up to four bars. How bars are defined I don't know.
gosh
Devine said via Twitter when asked "is that all coming from the machine?"..."yep" so one can assume that at least the sound is all coming from it. Who knows about external mods. Either way, I'm excited and I couldn't care less about the whole quantisation thing. Move on and by a friggin' TR8 if you want. SOMA LOVE.
heckadecimal69
Almost not worth speculating but since we are, I bet he's getting clock and possibly triggers externally while showing what this sounds like.
moloque
On each small video, every patch are different. On 1 video the eurorack pin adapter is empty. So all should be coming from the machine...
h4ndcrafted
If you need to quantise but keep the magic of human interaction, sample and chop is your friend no?

I think it sounds bloody lovely , best drum machine to be made since the 80s.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 21