MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

1/8 to 1/4 jack adaptors
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 1/8 to 1/4 jack adaptors
ericD13

Are they all crap ?
I had 2 set (10 adaptors each set) from different sellers.
Both doesn't work : when I insert a minijack there is a short : tip and sleeve are connected)

I tried with multiple eurorack patch cables (doepfer, hosa, ...) it's the same problem.

I wanted to use a patchbay to connect my MU modules to the eurorack : no way.
unrecordings
One of the reasons (nearly 20 years ago) that I went for MOTM/5U was the horror of 1/8" jacks. I think I chucked most of my adaptors and just made up a set of 1/4" to 1/8" cables. Alternatively, you could just make up a little panel
donpachi
The ones from Schneidersladen work for me (outside is all metal unlike the ones above). However, when they rotate against the minijack, it crackles.
defutura
I'm not sure if that would produce the exact problem you're experiencing, but did you make sure they're not meant for 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS? (As opposed to TS > TS.)

Like this one that looks a lot like yours:

http://store.synthrotek.com/Hosa-Adapter--35mm-TRS-to-14-TS_p_538.html
hsosdrum
And there's always this (providing your case has some empty space):

Here's the link to it on the Dotcom website:

https://synthesizers.com/q122.html
diophantine
defutura wrote:
I'm not sure if that would produce the exact problem you're experiencing, but did you make sure they're not meant for 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS? (As opposed to TS > TS.)

This! There's a lot of poorly labeled ones for sale on the internet, so I'd buy from a reputable source and ensure the description & packaging explicitly indicates "TS to TS".

I've had a bunch of different ones and never had an issue.

Ok, that's not quite true... but my only issue is that they all disappear. eek!
hamildad
I have bought a few to connect euro/TTSH to a patch bay and you roll the dice whenever you buy..

if they are correct, they are usually not well made.

So I have started making my own.

or ask Graeme Hinton to make you some.
EPTC
HOSA makes very reliable (or cheap enough they're easily replaceable) 3.5mm TS - 1/4" TS in 3ft, 5ft and 10ft.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP303--hosa-3.5-mm-ts-to-1-4- inch-ts-mono-interconnect-cable-3-foot
MrNezumi
LMNTL adapter cords <- link

These cords are pretty good for the money. They come in a few lengths and also in quantities of 5 or 10.
Rex Coil 7
I buy decent (as possible) 3.5mm patch cables, twice as long as I need them to be. Then cut the cable in half, solder 1/4" plugs to the bitter ends.

If (more like ~when~) the 3.5mm end craps out, usually right at the edge of the molded strain relief, it's easy peasy to desolder the dead 3.5mm cable w/plug from the 1/4" plug and resolder another cut-in-half 3.5mm patch cable to the 1/4" plug.

Member *sduck
has used a different solution ... those gold plated looking 3.5mm female to 1/4" male adapters. I've asked him about those and he said he's had solid fortune using those.

Personally, I either use the chopped 3.5mm cables with 1/4" plugs soldered to them, or I just make 3.5mm-to-1/4" multiple adapter panels.

(below) Wired up to a trunk line that carries CV signals from a cabinet full of Euro modulation modules. The little red anodized 4-40 allen head screws are for attaching an eight position terminal strip (if so needed).

nodnod spinning
TheDegenerateElite
I use these cables, especially for hooking up things like MS-20 minis and Roland Boutique stuff.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMQ5--pro-co-5-foot-excellines -1-8-inch-mini-to-1-4-inch-cable-unbalanced

They cost more than Hosa, but are easily repairable and have Neutrik plugs and nice rubbery cables.

I just always buy a cable or two with each synth I buy.
bwhittington
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
The little red anodized 4-40 allen head screws are for attaching an eight position terminal strip (if so needed).

That is a really cool idea.
Rex Coil 7
bwhittington wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
The little red anodized 4-40 allen head screws are for attaching an eight position terminal strip (if so needed).

That is a really cool idea.
Thanks Nairb! A few dollars at ~Lows~.

However, should you need several I'd suggest going on line for those t-strips. ~Lows~ only carries 8-position ones (probably Homey Deepoh as well). On line I've seen them with anything from a single position up to 24 position models (and larger). Also, be sure to read the details, certain ones won't allow certain eyelets to fit worth a damn. So, per usual, check your gear, check your purchase, make sure it all works together. Just like any of this stuff we fiddle with.

thumbs up Commander Rex.
facklr
We've had this conversation a few times in a variety of ways, but in my experience those adapters are fine for trigger/gate but crap for CV. In fact, I've found most of the time that any interference/interuption/bridge/etc. (Y-cables, StackCables) between CV source/destination will cause problems.

I use these, and they work great:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CMP303-Inch-Mono-3Ft/dp/B000068O3G/ref=pd_ cp_MI_3
Rex Coil 7
facklr wrote:
We've had this conversation a few times in a variety of ways, but in my experience those adapters are fine for trigger/gate but crap for CV. In fact, I've found most of the time that any interference/interuption/bridge/etc. (Y-cables, StackCables) between CV source/destination will cause problems.

Yea, but see .. check this out.

Ok take a look ... those Amazon ones are $4.45 each plus shipping (unless you buy six, then the total goes over the free shipping threshold and then you get free shipping). For about $3.00 you can buy 4 foot long 3.5mm x 3.5mm cables, cut them in half, and add a really solid (and fully replaceable) 1/4" Switchcraft plug to each half cable and have twice as many 3.5mm x 1/4" adaptive cables that end up being less per-unit money.

One four foot 3.5mm cable ($3.00) and two 1/4" plugs yields 2 two foot adaptive cables, for a total of roughly six bucks ($3.00 each). Cables that are at least halfway repairable, as well. You may also use right angle 1/4" plugs if that suits you (of course, cost changes when doing so).

hmmm..... .... seriously, i just don't get it ...... applause
facklr
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
facklr wrote:

Yea, but see .. check this out.

Ok take a look ... those Amazon ones are $4.45 each plus shipping (unless you buy six, then the total goes over the free shipping threshold and then you get free shipping). For about $3.00 you can buy 4 foot long 3.5mm x 3.5mm cables, cut them in half, and add a really solid (and fully replaceable) 1/4" Switchcraft plug to each half cable and have twice as many 3.5mm x 1/4" adaptive cables that end up being less per-unit money.

One four foot 3.5mm cable ($3.00) and two 1/4" plugs yields 2 two foot adaptive cables, for a total of roughly six bucks ($3.00 each). Cables that are at least halfway repairable, as well. You may also use right angle 1/4" plugs if that suits you (of course, cost changes when doing so).

hmmm..... .... seriously, i just don't get it ...... applause

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, or that any suggestions are. By adapter I mean the pic of the adapters in the OP. Your way works too! I'm just saying I use these cables.
burdij
Would a stereo 1/8 inch to stereo 1/4 inch adapter work for you? Like the ones sold for adapting stereo headphone cables to 1/4 inch. Here is a fairly cheap one at Rapid Online:

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-6-35mm-stereo-plug-to-3-5mm-ste reo-socket-adaptor-20-2976

0.80 Euros each if you buy 25 of them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1