MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Chirper Frame thoughts...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Chirper Frame thoughts...
BugBrand
I've been wanting some sort of VCA/Env module to couple with the Chirper - like the old Weevils, I feel it needs some audio gating on output. At home I have a little proto LPG which works quite well, but think I will work towards a 3FW combo DecayEnv/VCA design. The remaining 3FW space could perhaps then be filled with something like the DDSR.

In the meantime I think I will go with Chirper + some modules from the SynthVoice -> a Dual Env, a Dual Amp and a Dual Mixer.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on this - I might make a small handful of these setups if anyone is interested?

[The proto Expander (S&H and Touch control) ideas that some might have seen are definitely STOPPED]
sungja
That is a very good idea! You know i wanted the chirper expander but i see you did not like it so please make something better. If possible please keep the sample hold and filter inputs.
ClausF
Hmmm, I like the concept of a modular system with small boxes that could be combined. So maybe only Dual Env/Dual VCA Dual Mixer in a box?
chrisdermo
3FW combo DecayEnv/VCA design - as discussed already this would be a big w00t from me.
If it's a decay only envelope would it be possible to get 2 of them on 1.5FW? Id be happy with trigger in, decay time CV in and a manual trigger button per envelope. Maybe just a switch to go between very short/no attack and one a bit longer? Wouldn't miss the looping function as the variable waveshape oscillators on the chirper do a similar thing, albeit +/-5v rather than 0-10v.
I love the synthvoice dual amplifier module - one half of that on a combo module would be awesome. If you could get a 3 way switch to allow for normal and both saturation and wavefolder functions that would be amazing. If only one I would vote for wavefolding. I'd also go for the 2 inputs like the wavefolder side rather than the 2 CV inputs - the chirper could then become a sort of duophonic synth with both oscillators in the audio path.

The extra inputs/outputs on my DIY'd expander were really useful for sure, I didn't ever use the filter input but the V/Oct CVs were great. However there are no headers on the chirper pcb for these so that kind of expansion is no doubt off the table (plus just seen you already say they're well and truly gone - noted Mr. Green)

Chirper + dual env + dual amp + dual mixer seems like a good idea, like a synthvoice that invites you to get more into knob twisting and being tactile. Similarly using the bare banana stud method of touch-playing would be far more versatile with this config over the chirper alone.
Feel perhaps the dual mixer is a tad overkill but then assuming people will acquire more bug sound sources it is of course a useful module to have, plus that dc mixer on top is always fun. If I still had a chirper I'd give this setup a go as it's intrigued me now, but I did always tend to favour the 3 compact oscillators and dual filter.
BugBrand
sungja wrote:
That is a very good idea! You know i wanted the chirper expander but i see you did not like it so please make something better. If possible please keep the sample hold and filter inputs.

As Chris mentions, there aren't expander headers on the Chirper (just test points - so expansion is very much DIY experimentery). As such, adding a filter input would be kludgey - tend also to need a preamp for any external (outside the modular) signal. So it is probably off the table.

S&H is of interest, yes - I do wonder about the final 3FW space making a kind of toolkit with various functions like that - but barely considering such things at the moment!

ClausF wrote:
Hmmm, I like the concept of a modular system with small boxes that could be combined. So maybe only Dual Env/Dual VCA Dual Mixer in a box?

Maybe I overthink but the problems like that I see are:
i) that I only have 3/5FW cases (only with one power header - so not for modular) and then the full powered frame @ 11FW - so I continue to think in full frames for such pieced-together setups.
ii) I don't quite know the point of the Env/Amp/Mix without little extras like interface adaptors & preamps etc -- ie. I only really see the combo as something to support the Chirper at this present time
BugBrand
chrisdermo wrote:
I love the synthvoice dual amplifier module - one half of that on a combo module would be awesome. If you could get a 3 way switch to allow for normal and both saturation and wavefolder functions that would be amazing. If only one I would vote for wavefolding. I'd also go for the 2 inputs like the wavefolder side rather than the 2 CV inputs - the chirper could then become a sort of duophonic synth with both oscillators in the audio path.

yes, that's the sort of lines I've thought.

Quote:
Chirper + dual env + dual amp + dual mixer seems like a good idea, like a synthvoice that invites you to get more into knob twisting and being tactile. Similarly using the bare banana stud method of touch-playing would be far more versatile with this config over the chirper alone.
Feel perhaps the dual mixer is a tad overkill but then assuming people will acquire more bug sound sources it is of course a useful module to have, plus that dc mixer on top is always fun.

Yes, I agree that the Mixer is somewhat overkill here (as maybe are the DUAL of env and vca) but just trying ideas with what currently exists..
DickMarker
This might just be wishful thinking, but if you were considering a dual envelope as part of a Chirper frame, it would be nice to have some differing functionality from the SV envelopes - maybe EOC pulse out or envelope delay for instance (I think I just miss my Envelators!).
chrisdermo
DickMarker wrote:
This might just be wishful thinking, but if you were considering a dual envelope as part of a Chirper frame, it would be nice to have some differing functionality from the SV envelopes - maybe EOC pulse out or envelope delay for instance (I think I just miss my Envelators!).

That sounds like a lot of fun hyper
BugBrand
No, not really considering a dual env in general for Chirper frame - though slim possibility it could be an idea for other modular whatnots.
sungja
Toolkit idea is great. Keep it simple but efficient. Was there any info about the chirper testpoints anywhere?
sungja
Found the chirper manual. thumbs up
BugBrand
Actually testing a few Chirpers now - even with only a Compact VCO it is pretty fun!

Expansion headers:
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/docs/ChirperInstructs_Jan18.pdf

Quote:
Several test points are marked on the circuit for expansion/experimentation:
•Tri1, Sqr1, Tri2, Sqr2 – direct Oscillator waveform outputs. Use a 470ohm series resistor.
LP, BP, HP – direct Filter outputs (Low/Band/High-pass). Use a 470 ohm series resistor.
FIN – Filter audio input. Add a 30k resistor in position R71 (0805smd).
FXCV – Filter modulation input. Add a 100k resistor in position R74 (0805smd)
O1CV – Osc 1 modulation input. Add a 100k resistor in position R72 (0805smd)
O1CV1 (should read O2CV) – Osc 2 modulation input. Add a 100k resistor in position R73 (0805smd)
Reality Checkpoint
If you make a VCA/Env 'red' box to go with my Chirper, PEQ and PT then I will be first in line when they come up for sale in the shop!
a100user
Tom,

3FW EG/VCA would be great. Don’t mind if decay only or say an AD/R. Range /looping switch would be cool too.

I have been Chirping with some blue modules and it would be nice to keep the reds self contained at times.

David
DickMarker
If you were to do a 3FW env/VCA, a 3FW toolkit would be a great addition imo - especially with a S & H with noise source.
Reality Checkpoint
DickMarker wrote:
........ a 3FW toolkit would be a great addition imo - especially with a S & H with noise source.

Seconded!
/\/\/\/
BugBrand wrote:

ii) I don't quite know the point of the Env/Amp/Mix without little extras like interface adaptors & preamps etc -- ie. I only really see the combo as something to support the Chirper at this present time

I would love to have such a device (with preamp and 1/4" in/out) for processing other audio sources. In addition to VCA or tremolo type effects, especially in an FX loop as a VC-effects send. Even with a Chirper I imagine it would be nice to have this possiblity within a frame.
rowsbywoof
I'd be interested. Sounds like a nice simple setup with a lot of potential.
jjsynth
DickMarker wrote:
If you were to do a 3FW env/VCA, a 3FW toolkit would be a great addition imo - especially with a S & H with noise source.

This would also be a great addition to the Synth Voice
BugBrand
Ha, what this is highlighting is that there are many ways to swing a cat!
ClausF
or to de-coat a cat as we say here.
BananaPlug
Maybe I'm complacent but I've not been yearning for env/VCA within the Chirper. Thinking about it now though.

I'd be more interested in a 3fw standalone having two of the Chirper's continuous range oscillators. With some options if space permits.
ninGiaBoom
I'd almost stick with your former idea, chirper with lpg or vca/eg and then with 3fw utilities where the s/h has the old lovely bugcrushing abilities...then ddsr will come in the next frame with the drm2 and delay eek!
BugBrand
The VCA/Env idea is def. a go-er to attend to soon - then the final 3FW space can be a floater with hopefully a few different possibilities to choose from (gradually! Don't jump the gun!)

Had some crazy sounds coming out while calibrating today - at times I got distracted and set up a quick self-patch with keyboard CV - sounds were jumping around all over just from hitting different keys. (video needed)
sungja
I dont even have a chirper yet but can imagine chirper in a frame with the expander and a ptdelay could be a very nice little synthvoice on its own.

The old 1fw dual modules had some simple and great ideas on a small footprint. I bet you could fit a lot of handy utilities on a 3fw panel without too much trouble.

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2