MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yocto2 - any build reports out there?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Yocto2 - any build reports out there?
mangros
I want to order the kit but I'm slightly reluctant after reading a few disheartening Nava tales. Yocto2 forums on the e-licktronic site are a bit of a ghost town, and a couple of posts there and here reveal some build struggles and firmware niggles but it's hard to tell if these are typical experiences.

I suppose I'm looking for people saying "I've built mine, it's great to use, timing is tight, syncs well" - but aside from a small number of Youtube demos those people seem to be staying quiet. Can anyone share any success stories?
medbot
I almost made a thread asking the same thing last week. Definitely also interested in hearing peoples' experiences with it.
makhho
A lot of new NAVA software updates that have resolved some of the issues with Mux boards that were introduced to deal with voice accenting, etc.

Software is currently at 1.027 I believe, and the software thread is active with posts pretty much everyday.

Anyway, I am starting my NAVA build soon and will report back here. It is still the closest thing to a 909 we're getting. Likely ever.

To my knowledge, YOCTO^2 builds are fine thus far. They didn't have the accent issue like NAVA did.

I'd say go for it. But YOCTO^2 is different in terms of workflow from an 808. YOCTO was closer, but they ended up bagging it and changing the overall topology to fit closer to that of a 909 for programming. There is still no FILL button or A/B toggle as on the original 808, and that seriously bugs the fuck out of me.

Unlike the new Behringer wave of classic drum machines that'll likely be SMD', you're getting identical circuitry clones using through hole compoents with YOCTO and NAVA.
goodrevdoc
My yocto2 build was pretty good. Still have some wacky voices, but that's more to do with my building than the kit quality itself. The kasper case was another matter entirely, but it looks like Erica synths have one available..
poser1
I'm just finishing mine now - the build wasn't bad and everything functioned perfectly on initial fire-up, with the exception that the white noise level was too high. I had to change a couple of resistor values in the noise section to get close to the specified 130 mV noise output and it sounds perfect now. The rest of the calibration was easy.
The only other issue I had was getting everything to fit properly in the case took some tweaking and filing.
Having said all that, I wrote a couple of simple patterns and everything functioned as I would expect, but I really haven't put the sequencer through its paces yet. Nor have I done anything yet with MIDI or syncing. Once I finish a couple of mods I'm working on I'll get deeper into it and let you know if I find any issues.
mangros
Cheers for the info everyone!
pulse_divider
I built 2 of the V1 Yoctos and they were pretty straightforward builds. Both worked fine with no issues. I built them pretty soon after they came out and anything that was weird (low voltage S-trig outs as opposed to the 808's 12V V-trig outs is the only one I can remember) at first was fixed via firmware updates.

I have an experienced builder friend who built 2 Navas and had issues with both.
GryphonP3
I built a Nava - very straightforward but I do NOT recommend using sockets for the SIL chips - just solder them straight in. ALL of my issues were from the chips wiggling around in the sockets. Spent a long time desoldering all the sockets and soldering chips straight into the PCB and now it works flawlessly.
Altitude909
I keep fighting with the noise circuit in the yoctos, the 828s are REALLY all over the place and its hard to get enough even with service manual updated noise circuit. I sourced some vintage ones that worked correctly but what came with the kit were not even close. The PC2 and the built in mod points are great for the Y2 though. Here is the latest one I did:

LED-man
Just few words about my yocto’s and nava’s.
All Navas rev.1 was defect after few hours of usage, defect transistors, defect opamps, my own nava was used 5hours and at next usage was the hihat defect, a transistor was damaged, few weeks later the noise ICs, its maybe from the powersupply design..
All rev.1 yoctos was fine, except the potentiometer quality.
makhho
LED-man wrote:
Just few words about my yocto’s and nava’s.
All Navas rev.1 was defect after few hours of usage, defect transistors, defect opamps, my own nava was used 5hours and at next usage was the hihat defect, a transistor was damaged, few weeks later the noise ICs, its maybe from the powersupply design..
All rev.1 yoctos was fine, except the potentiometer quality.

What kind of PSU were you using...
LED-man
Onboard design with 15VAC wandwart.
indigoid
Altitude909 wrote:
I keep fighting with the noise circuit in the yoctos, the 828s are REALLY all over the place and its hard to get enough even with service manual updated noise circuit. I sourced some vintage ones that worked correctly but what came with the kit were not even close

I haven't built a Yocto (or Nava) but if the circuitry is faithful to the original, this should not be surprising I think? Roland were intentionally selecting defective transistors for the 808... and semiconductor fab tech improved such that they couldn't do this anymore

This was covered in the 808 documentary, no?

Does the Yocto use a different noise circuit?
Altitude909
indigoid wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
I keep fighting with the noise circuit in the yoctos, the 828s are REALLY all over the place and its hard to get enough even with service manual updated noise circuit. I sourced some vintage ones that worked correctly but what came with the kit were not even close

I haven't built a Yocto (or Nava) but if the circuitry is faithful to the original, this should not be surprising I think? Roland were intentionally selecting defective transistors for the 808... and semiconductor fab tech improved such that they couldn't do this anymore

This was covered in the 808 documentary, no?

Does the Yocto use a different noise circuit?

The circuit's fine, the parts are not. The Yocto 1 had the original noise circuit of the 808, that was changed to the service bulletin circuit in 2 but both suffer from same issue, the 828s in the kit are what i call the "shitty laser marked Chinese" brand and they are all over the place, some are through the roof outside the range, some are not even close enough
JanneI
Altitude909 wrote:

The circuit's fine, the parts are not. The Yocto 1 had the original noise circuit of the 808, that was changed to the service bulletin circuit in 2 but both suffer from same issue, the 828s in the kit are what i call the "shitty laser marked Chinese" brand and they are all over the place, some are through the roof outside the range, some are not even close enough

I've been playing with TR606 circuits and I've had the same experience with ebay 828 (chinese) transistor, you really need to buy 20pcs and try them out one by one, hugely different and you can only do so much with the trimmer.
mangros
Well I went for it and have recently finished the build. I can provide detail if anyone wants but in short, on a £300 kit:

- I've had to replace three of the rare parts because they didn't work
- the most obscure (2M/12mm) pot didn't work and then set on fire
- had to change a trimmer value to get the noise circuit working
- the supplied switches are Cherry clones, not Cherry
- had to get the chip programmer out to fix (not improve) the supplied firmware
- newest firmware is supplied as sysex but there is no way of entering the bootloader mode to upload it.
- have to order a new encoder (unsuitable part listed in the BOM)

Well, aside from those clangers... it sounds good, the software seems decent, the mod areas are useful and the keycaps are nice. I've also got a mod board in progress - VC digital noise for the hats/cymbals.
LED-man
Haha..
You was the guy who ordered and build a yocto2.
They are very rare, the second hand market only shows rev.1 yoctos.
NS4W
Altitude909 wrote:
I keep fighting with the noise circuit in the yoctos, the 828s are REALLY all over the place and its hard to get enough even with service manual updated noise circuit. I sourced some vintage ones that worked correctly but what came with the kit were not even close. The PC2 and the built in mod points are great for the Y2 though. Here is the latest one I did:

Wow - looks amazing! Are there a fully modded option available anywhere or is this a one off?
Altitude909
one off
nologin
Hi my first elicktronic must yocto V1, i had made mods and i am very satisfied. I think that yocto V1 was a success.

My opinion on nava is less shining ... I built my nava V1.01, it was not a part of pleasure, between the errors on the PCB and a defect, i really but pissed! That said by motivating hardworking, i fixed it and i even made mods and it became a monstrous drum machine.
Then i built a second nava but without mods, a V1.02, I was also pissed off, i do not know why, i welded several kit MUX SH, so that it run well, but by dint of work... There is worse than me, there is a guy, he told me he buit 4 nava, the 4 he had problems. I have a friend, only one and he has not had any problems

So Yocto V1 -> super happy.

Nava not happy at first, happy after, but it disgusted me.

Yocto V2 -> the disappointments of nava, have demotivated me, i will not build more projects e-licktronic.
secrethero303
I’ve built a couple of the Yocto V2 now and each build has been fine for the most part. The only major issue so far has been with some of the rare parts (828s and one of the AN6912, which were easy enough to switch out. Also, it has been hit or miss whether they could be upgraded by sysex or if I had to break out the ICSP programmer.

That said it sounds good and the sequencer is an improvement over the simple one in the Yocto v1, and the added PC-2 is fun to have too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1