MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help organize gear usage to not flee to software
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Help organize gear usage to not flee to software
rec.Koner
I'm ashamed but this is something i feel bad about. Also maybe better title for thread shoud be made, sorry.

Long story short, lately i dont really use my gear cause it's a hassle for stupid lazy myself.

Situation speaks for yourself, comparing:

A) Got home tired after work, ok i need to take my synth out of box (my small room dont have "musician corner" so i put it back when i dont use it), plug all those electricity and audio cables... same for sampler/fx/recorder... same for noiseboxes.. connect all that here and there, all those wires here and there..

vs

B) Got home tired after work, sat on sofa, immediately launched Audulus on tablet, or even DAW in which i make and export track instantly.

Spending energy and time with gear on unpacking/packing, placing, connecting, routing.. doesnt help. Also lately its not that much comfortable to... let it say, i have to place it on the floor or on the sofa instead of table, so if i wiggle with patches on my synth or whatever, i do it ducking? squatting? so after an hour or so my legs feel pain, and overall body is tired.

Worse with sequencing or recording. Years ago i connected synth to pc with ableton so i sequenced from that and also instantly recorded audio back in needed places on tracks. I dont have pc with audio interface anymore (yet? not sure if gonna return) so i sequence synth from something on ios which is ok but.. that means i only can record in sp404, from which i need later to take tracks and mix together. Which leads to "why do i need to bother with external sequencing, external recording etc. etc.

So in the end, i dont recall when i last time actually used gear for something other than "take it, wiggle some cool noise as meditation, dont record anything, put it back in dark corner".

So i'm asking for advice, opinion, etc. Sorry if my situation sounds dumb but maybe some can relate to that. I want to use my good old dark energy (or vtol volfram, also semimodular though circuit bent with bananas) as i used in student years but dammit now i m too shitty so i just "why bother otb"

Dead Banana
mt3
You're a touring musician and a roadie in your own home. Recipe for hell.

Find a way for a permanent install to capture the instant immediacy of a digital setup.
SB-SIX
Or get something all-in-one that gives you joy, maybe something like a deluge. It's battery powered, boots within a second, can do drums/synths/fx/stereo polyphonic samples etc. It's useless to keep all the gear when you're not using it.
MarcelP
rec.Koner wrote:
I'm ashamed but this is something i feel bad about.

Long story short, lately i dont really use my gear cause it's a hassle for stupid lazy myself.

A) Got home tired after work

vs

B) Got home tired after work, sat on sofa

Spending energy and time with gear on unpacking/packing, placing, connecting, routing.. doesnt help. Also lately its not that much comfortable to... so my legs feel pain, and overall body is tired.

Sorry if my situation sounds dumb but maybe some can relate to that..... but dammit now i m too shitty so i just "why bother otb"

Dead Banana

OK - so I recognise those feelings entirely, the following isn’t an attack or to belittle you.....

When I get in that mindset I think of Olivier Messiaen who managed to write a chamber quartet while in a prisoner of war camp. He even performed it with other inmates.

Get some shelves, hang stuff from walls...
rec.Koner
MarcelP wrote:

OK - so I recognise those feelings entirely, the following isn’t an attack or to belittle you.....

I woudnt lie, music making is half-abandoned activity for several years for me lately, hence why i compared to my earlier years when i did stuff often and on everything

regardless of loosing spirit, that above is one of contributing factors
MarcelP
I alternate between the Modular (immensely time consuming, convoluted, a sprawling mess that is a wrestling match) and playing piano (sit down, not even an on button, plink-plonk some “real” music, walk away when done).

The urge to make and listen to music ebbs and flows - not often in sync either - and sometimes it just isn’t worth the effort, forcing it (I WILL enjoy this!) is counter productive. Provided you aren’t having to do it to make a living then maybe drop it for a while. I am 57, over the years there have been loads of things I have “dropped for a while” and returned to re-enthused - from music to sex via astronomy, painting, literature... There is so much stuff out there to engage with that you shouldn’t worry if something drops off your list for a while.
rec.Koner
Oh, maybe i should go back to guitar playing? I killed it when went into synths

eek!

Still guess i need something to do with providing more comfortable "sound workplace" in my place d'oh! surely. Just when you are not that active, you dont wanna keep them on workplace getting dust (and stealing place)

As for recording hardware vs. DAW

I thought about finally getting some hardware stepseq to enjoy sessions more, it's that "trying to compose the whole song using 8/16-step seq" is something.. unoptimistic, if you wanna record "solo like" melody in which each 2 tacts are different... It would be like recording 30 overdubs and then mixing it in one song. Surely composing whole tune itb is more easy, and then you just sequence synth with that. But uh oh, that leads to "why then i need to go external if i already did track itb"

Quote:
It's battery powered, boots within a second, can do drums/synths/fx/stereo polyphonic samples etc. It's useless to keep all the gear when you're not using it.

I considered op-1 for a while, i just wanna push myself to use gear i have
Ranxerox
rec.Koner wrote:
Oh, maybe i should go back to guitar playing? I killed it when went into synths

eek!

Still guess i need something to do with providing more comfortable "sound workplace" in my place d'oh! surely. Just when you are not that active, you dont wanna keep them on workplace getting dust (and stealing place)

As for recording hardware vs. DAW

I thought about finally getting some hardware stepseq to enjoy sessions more, it's that "trying to compose the whole song using 8/16-step seq" is something.. unoptimistic, if you wanna record "solo like" melody in which each 2 tacts are different... It would be like recording 30 overdubs and then mixing it in one song. Surely composing whole tune itb is more easy, and then you just sequence synth with that. But uh oh, that leads to "why then i need to go external if i already did track itb"

Quote:
It's battery powered, boots within a second, can do drums/synths/fx/stereo polyphonic samples etc. It's useless to keep all the gear when you're not using it.

I considered op-1 for a while, i just wanna push myself to use gear i have

You need to have your gear somewhere where you don't have to set up & tear down on every session. Figure out how you instinctively want to work and shape your gear setup around that; abhor workarounds as they pile up into a dispiriting overhead on creativity.
xenosapien
I would look into getting one piece of furniture that allows you to "install" some of your gear, or at least the sound-system and power parts, so that you only have to grab a piece of gear and plug it in, nothing more.

Maybe a 19" rack or so with drawers and rack-mounted patchbay and power distribution, that has a small footprint and doesn´t take up much space in your room?

I have a tiny apartment as well, and I was struggling with messy tables etc. for a LONG time, until I bought myself one of those tables with 19" racks integrated into them.

Now I only have to dig for cables and PSUs etc. when I am using one of the synths that are not rackmounted or that I don´t use very often.

It helps a lot, in my opinion.
unclebastard
xenosapien wrote:
I would look into getting one piece of furniture that allows you to "install" some of your gear, or at least the sound-system and power parts, so that you only have to grab a piece of gear and plug it in, nothing more.

Maybe a 19" rack or so with drawers and rack-mounted patchbay and power distribution, that has a small footprint and doesn´t take up much space in your room?

I have a tiny apartment as well, and I was struggling with messy tables etc. for a LONG time, until I bought myself one of those tables with 19" racks integrated into them.

Now I only have to dig for cables and PSUs etc. when I am using one of the synths that are not rackmounted or that I don´t use very often.

It helps a lot, in my opinion.

Seconded; for years I had to lug things out and set up every time, it was a real joy killer. Now I keep my gear connected on shelving ready to go; all I have to do is switch the synths and mixer on and I'm making music.
rec.Koner
Thanks all for advices!

xenosapien wrote:
tiny apartment as well

I considered placing music devices on nightstand surface, but that would mean i have to stand all the time myself

there was also an idea of folding table (if i need actual table for other things and dont have place for second actual table, so i thought about table that i bring and then put back aside), but guess its not good idea considering "need to install setup again"
Panason
If you don't have the space to have the gear set up and ready to use, and you don't have a problem working with a computer, then maybe you don't need hardware.
Otherwise, at least use an audio interface and a cable or two so that when you pull out a piece of gear to play with you can record it into the DAW.
tioJim
mt3 wrote:
You're a touring musician and a roadie in your own home. Recipe for hell.

Absolutely. Your problem is real, you're not being lazy. Imagine being a carpenter and having to pack away your workshop between jobs. You just wouldn't't do it!
tioJim
MarcelP wrote:
I alternate between the Modular (immensely time consuming, convoluted, a sprawling mess that is a wrestling match) and playing piano (sit down, not even an on button, plink-plonk some “real” music, walk away when done).

The urge to make and listen to music ebbs and flows - not often in sync either - and sometimes it just isn’t worth the effort, forcing it (I WILL enjoy this!) is counter productive. Provided you aren’t having to do it to make a living then maybe drop it for a while. I am 57, over the years there have been loads of things I have “dropped for a while” and returned to re-enthused - from music to sex via astronomy, painting, literature... There is so much stuff out there to engage with that you shouldn’t worry if something drops off your list for a while.

LOVE THIS! Listen to this man. Great advice.

Quote:
from music to sex via astronomy, painting, literature... There is so much stuff out there to engage with that you shouldn’t worry if something drops off your list for a while.

sublime!
slumberjack
i used to have first a place to make music before i even had a second room other than a kitchen and a toilet. and it never changed. it's always like this - first: bed; second: food; third: records and studio; fourth: living room, move records there. so my advice: throw your sofa (and if there's a tv, then rather sell this piece before anything else) out of the window. if you're craze get bigger for a sofa afterwards, then you're ready for selling all your gear to get a new one. this is the ultimate test if you really want to figure out how you prefered workflow is or even if you want to make music seriously.
starthief
I definitely was less willing to use hardware when I had to get it out of storage, plug it in, set it up etc.

Just that extra minute of preparation was enough to convince me a software plugin would be good enough, or maybe I should just play a game instead of making music.

We rearranged the room to use the space more efficiently. I got a corner desk and dedicated space to my gear, and got a better audio interface with enough inputs to keep it connected. All I have to do now is flip a couple of power switches and open my DAW and I'm ready to jam.

To be honest, I still experience this resistance a little with my Teletype module -- because I have to reach to an awkward spot and flip a USB switch to assign my keyboard to it instead of my computer. Sometimes I think "I'll just go without it" and use MIDI sequences instead. It's such a little thing, but if I can move that switch to a better place or somehow find room for two QWERTY keyboards it'll make a difference.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1