MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Synth DIY Webstore: Electrosmith
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Synth DIY Webstore: Electrosmith
Electrosmith
Hello Muffwiggler!

We are a new synth DIY webstore called Electrosmith.
https://www.electro-smith.com/

We're very excited to announce three SDIY sub modules:

3340 VCO
Analog oscillator using the AS3340D IC.

FV-1 DSP
DSP platform using the Spin Semi FV-1. It can be configured to run internal effects, or load custom ones into EEPROM.

2144 LPF
Analog VCF using the SSI2144 IC.

These boards are pre assembled SMT designs, ready to drop into any project. Just supply power, and IO and you'll be up and running immediately.
Each card is breadboard friendly and Eagle parts are available for download to facilitate easy integration into other SDIY projects.

Join our mailing list to stay up to date on other new products that we'll be releasing in the next few months!

Best regards,
Electro-Team
tobb
a for sale post is not allowed i think...
cygmu
tobb wrote:

Quite right, you have to call it a build thread. wink

In seriousness, the rules (as enforced and observed rather than as written) are not 100% clear for offerings to the DIY community. I suppose it is for the mods to figure this one out...

Here’s the thread that introduced modular addict for comparison:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150998&start=all&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc&sid=22e635212df0743568f9d1d14d689a59
NV
How else do we find out about a new shop without an announcement? I believe any shop dedicated to what this sub-forum is all about deserves our support.

Electrosmith, fantastic work on your new site! Pre-built boards are a perfect way for people to get their feet wet with DIY, and it's great to see the new SSI chips appearing in builds.
the bad producer
Nice idea - does one get the schematics when one orders a 'thing'?
LED-man
Where’s the shop located ?
There’s no Impressum, terms of legal or data privacy page etc.
Jcsveth
Very tough to get around when the "Join Our Mailing Group" interrupts every page I click on. very frustrating

And are those boards populated or just the PCB?
OrganFixer
I gave it a shot. it looks cheap and easy. The "Datasheet" explains all the pins. All you have to build is the front panel.

FYI - Based on shipping they seem to be somewhere in the USA.

Edit: I'll let you know if weird charges start showing up on my credit card.

Edit2:
Electrosmith • 1030 Calle Cordillera, San Clemente, CA, 92673, United States

so far it seems legit.
soup
I agree their site is lacking info but I just received their filter, it didn't come with any schematics but it did have fancy packaging. They are in California, I think they might also be the Eurorack company Qubit.
Mongo1
Looks really nice - a great start!
Good luck...
Gary
mskala
cygmu wrote:
Here’s the thread that introduced modular addict for comparison:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150998&start=all&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc&sid=22e635212df0743568f9d1d14d689a59

From 2015 - not a flame, complaint about the 100-post rule, or discouraging word in that whole thread. Contrast with recent new product, crowdfunding, and shop announcements where mention of the 100 post rule is a given, and misplaced technical criticisms or complaints about the product's visual appearance are likely. Is it just my perception, or has this community's welcome to new businesses gotten a lot less warm in the last couple years?
sduck
tobb wrote:

Please, leave the moderating to the moderators. Feel free to let them know though...

As Electrosmith isn't selling anything directly here, like you would in the Buy Sell Trade section, but rather via a separate web page, this falls into the grey area of things that are usually allowed, at least here in the DIY section.

And, having checked out the web site, also agree that more information should be available. But some basic research turned up the San Clemente address as reported above, and that it's related to Qu-bit electronics.
electricanada
Looks pretty cool, but not enough information. Especially the DSP board. I could maybe get the other ones going, but I would have no clue how to proceed from the DSP board's datasheet.
Synthiq
electricanda wrote:
Looks pretty cool, but not enough information. Especially the DSP board.

Most pins on the dsp board seems to map directly to the pins of the FV-1 chip so reading the datasheet for that chip should give a fairly good idea how to use the module. http://www.spinsemi.com/Products/datasheets/spn1001/FV-1.pdf
piano39
I am psyched up about these offerings. When the 3340 chips came out, I expected to see a bunch of offerings of Eurorack kits that were (1) affordable, and (2) through hole. This looks like the best bet going, because they certainly are affordable, and would just need wiring up to panels.

That being said, electro-smith would really help their business if they added some simple schematics. They also should post some youtubes so we can get a demo of these products working with a Eurorack system. Absent those two things, buying these products is quite a leap of faith.

I can see myself buying multiple copies of these three modules. Need some confidence in them, though.
fuzzbass
sduck wrote:
tobb wrote:

Please, leave the moderating to the moderators. Feel free to let them know though...

As Electrosmith isn't selling anything directly here, like you would in the Buy Sell Trade section, but rather via a separate web page, this falls into the grey area of things that are usually allowed, at least here in the DIY section.

And, having checked out the web site, also agree that more information should be available. But some basic research turned up the San Clemente address as reported above, and that it's related to Qu-bit electronics.

I am thankful for the consistently steady sduck. applause

I am also thankful that that we have another DIY source.
l3v3l6
$20 for a fully built VCO PCB with a 3340 reference design? Profit margins must be pretty slim.
electricanada
piano39 wrote:
.That being said, electro-smith would really help their business if they added some simple schematics. They also should post some youtubes so we can get a demo of these products working with a Eurorack system. Absent those two things, buying these products is quite a leap of faith.

I can see myself buying multiple copies of these three modules. Need some confidence in them, though.

That's exactly where I'm at. Give us a little more info on the webpage and a Youtube demo, and I'll buy two of each.
soup
I don't think these boards are intended to just be modules but rather building blocks for larger synths, which I think is a pretty cool idea and hope more stuff is on the way but the filter in my synth is acting up so I cobbled a module together this morning from spare parts and it works as expected with no fuss...

electricanada
I think just a little info on how to do the panel wiring for a module like that -- and a sound demo -- would entice a lot more noobs to buy these boards. Power wiring could be another roadblock for noobs.
OIP
haha damn that panel really puts the PCB size into perspective! tiny.

for the price these look great and i would love the VCO one. unfortunately shipping kills it for me in australia ($20USD for board and $18USD for shipping)
mskala
electricanada wrote:
I think just a little info on how to do the panel wiring for a module like that -- and a sound demo -- would entice a lot more noobs to buy these boards. Power wiring could be another roadblock for noobs.

I get the idea it's not meant for noobs, but rather for designers pursuing their own new ideas. Like soup said.

OIP wrote:
haha damn that panel really puts the PCB size into perspective! tiny.

I don't quite know what format is shown in the photo - not Eurorack because of the banana jacks and different hole placement - so I'm not sure of the scale.
OrganFixer
Just as a follow up. It arrived quickly. Nicely packaged in static protective bags. The boards are small but cool. Unfortunately if you were hoping for a demo it won't happen any time soon. But if you are interested here are some pics
Reckless_Experimenter
Made a Module using the FV-1 DSP board

video, sound demo starts at 2:30
electricanada
Reckless_Experimenter wrote:

video, sound demo starts at 2:30

Great demo, tnx.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2