MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

COFilter Update -> possible stereo expander?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author COFilter Update -> possible stereo expander?
BugBrand
I ran out of COFilter boards a few months ago and thought I would do some updates before re-running things. The last design is a few years old and I can improve a few areas + keen to make the input balanced now (want that on all designs really).

I never really pushed the Expander for it as it didn't really fit with the red concept or with actual case sizes, but it struck me that I could possibly do a 'stereo controller' that linked two COFilters together for more stereo-like operation. Still thinking on what exactly would be on offer, so thought I would float ideas:::

- looking to change the resonance to CV-controlled as I think that'd be important for consistent stereo usage. But I doubt I'd have actual Res-CV on the individual module design (keep it similar to the original COFilter design) - so there would probably be a 'stereo' res control with CV modulation.
- I would imagine stereo controls for each filter, each with modulation - then I wonder on the possibilities of inverting one side so you get divergence - haven't quite got my head around ideas yet!
- gain and mix settings would have to remain manual - not a major issue, I don't think.

Hmm!?!
chrisdermo
So rather than having a single CoF with each side working individually as stereo it'd be 2 full CoF's linked (4 svfilters) with 6 outputs? That sounds awesome!

As I said recently I use my CoF+x + dual preamp all the time for stereo use.

Resonance cv is something Ive wanted on a filter for a very long time so I'd say that's a must, one thing I miss on the current expander is an attenuverter for the secondary cv input - full scale 10v range sources are often far too wide to be useful (sending in envelopes or oscillators) and I like to use the internal bandpass modulation with the cv1 attenuverters. So I end up using my matrix mixer to attenuate signals to the second cv ins. 100% yes to inverting modulation but put the option on both sides for stereo usage? I do this all the time with the matrix mixer in bipolar mode - it makes superb stereo fx!

No probs with gain and mix being manual.

Could there be some sort of routing matrix or switches to flip the hpf outputs of filter 1 from each side to the inputs of filter 2 on the opposite side?
chrisdermo
Also - stereo envelope follower? hihi
dogoftears
i have 2 COF's and use them in stereo often. actually my favorite is to run them as a mid/side insert.

as it stands there are all sorts of tricks to use them in stereo if you have a larger system-- active voltages and offsets from joysticks, dual mixer, etc. it would certainly be nice to have one-knob resonance control, those are tricky to match.

so you want to make an expander that replaces the current expander and gives dual control over 2 units? why not just design a new dual COF with some dedicated stereo controls?
BugBrand
dogoftears wrote:
so you want to make an expander that replaces the current expander and gives dual control over 2 units? why not just design a new dual COF with some dedicated stereo controls?

Well, I need/want a bit of an update for the regular COFilter (and not fussed really to maintain the current expander).
Why not just do a stereo version? Yeah, that could have merits too, of course, but it'd be yet another project to add to the existing list! You know we never really got anywhere with Stereo PEQ ideas... (which aren't a million miles away).
Paranormal Patroler
Sounds very interesting.
seeasound
but but....stereo PEQ seriously, i just don't get it

this could be that in a way...but I have to get my head around it
/\/\/\/
My first thoughts are... 2 COF + expander seems pretty big. And then 6 outputs is a lot. But that's just me... beyond my needs / size.

Also, I'm guessing the old COFs would not be compatible or would need some modification to work with it?
/\/\/\/
also slightly tangent to this topic, Tom... I remember you mentioned having a look at a Mutron Bi-Phase a while back. Did that lead anywhere interesting, or has the COFilter mainly covered that area?
BugBrand
seeasound wrote:
but but....stereo PEQ

Always makes my head hurt whenever I come back around to it....

/\/\/\/ wrote:
My first thoughts are... 2 COF + expander seems pretty big. And then 6 outputs is a lot. But that's just me... beyond my needs / size.

Also, I'm guessing the old COFs would not be compatible or would need some modification to work with it?

Yeah, it would be big (probably 2FW expander = 8FW total) - I dunno.... 6FW would be better to fit with the SComp, but then probably EQ is more the call than intense filtering....

Yeah, the old COFilts wouldn't be compatible - changes to their very nature, while keeping the front approach about the same.

/\/\/\/ wrote:
also slightly tangent to this topic, Tom... I remember you mentioned having a look at a Mutron Bi-Phase a while back. Did that lead anywhere interesting, or has the COFilter mainly covered that area?

You have a better memory than me! Ach, another rabbit hole...
Petur
Hmm, a stereo expander sounds interesting to me!

(still dreaming of a stereo PEQ tho =))
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1