MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Interest Check - LW format Ornament and Crime
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Interest Check - LW format Ornament and Crime
dksynth
Not sure how many builders are doing LW format, so if you would be interested in PCBs/Panel to build yourself or have someone build it for you, please holler!

here is my prototype:

Pretty happy with the panels, interested what people think of the panel layout. I was trying to get top and bottom bare aluminium for more of a paperface look but I messed something up in my instructions. Maybe next time I'll figure it out .A and C outputs are a shorting bar distance away from IN4 and TR4, respectively. To make using channels together a little easier.

It is a relatively tight build, here is a render of PCB:

Kinda tight, I mostly use hotair or oven so I like things tight. Probably gonna be tough for you tweezer and iron warriors. I still need to put some things I forgot onto the pcb … power orientation the most glaring omission...
nurbivore
I wonder about that momentary switch. Is there a hardware limitation in the standard OC that prevents a simultaneous press of both buttons from working? The Northern Lights version uses a switch too and it struck me as a funny potential feature to remove.
dksynth
I looked through the apps and I don’t THINK that a double button press is ever used.

As to why... spacing and I liked the look. The encoders can’t go any higher due to the carrier PCB the display is on. I prefer panel mounted controls and any nice solid buttons were too big to cram under the encoders.
mxmxmx
dksynth wrote:
I looked through the apps and I don’t THINK that a double button press is ever used.

As to why... spacing and I liked the look. The encoders can’t go any higher due to the carrier PCB the display is on. I prefer panel mounted controls and any nice solid buttons were too big to cram under the encoders.

fwiw / IIRC double presses are used only to reset the EEPROM. see OC_ui.cpp, with corresponding changes for the Northern Lights 4U version:

[...]
reset_settings =
#ifdef BUCHLA_4U
read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_UP) && read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_R);
#else
read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_UP) && read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_DOWN);
#endif

[...]

generally speaking, i'd recommend to just stick with the original specs / ui / io ranges as much as possible.
Synesthesia
i had played with a layout back in april 16 smile slightly different - but i do like yours, it's quite compact

dksynth
mxmxmx wrote:

[...]
reset_settings =
#ifdef BUCHLA_4U
read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_UP) && read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_R);
#else
read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_UP) && read_immediate(CONTROL_BUTTON_DOWN);
#endif

[...]

mxmxmx

So it might be a good idea to put a little “double press/reset” button that trips both lines somewhere (In between the encoders, PCB mount or maybe on the back) even if I stick with the momentary toggle.
dksynth
Synesthesia

hah, yes I do believe I bothered you about it a couple times. I really like the feel of the toggle you used, great idea. I'm torn about whether to keep with the serge grid like you did in your design … remains to be seen how badly it will stick out in the rack.
nurbivore
I had played around in Front Panel Designer a bit to design my own version of a LW O&C panel a while back. It might just be a function of how I imagined using my own personal rack, but I felt like the O&C would be good with the bananas above the screen. I don't know how "Sergey" that is, though.

For purely aesthetic reasons I was also hoping to use the big buttons that Random*Source uses on their sequencer (and I think I've see other Serge builds use). I hoped there'd be enough room for them to the right of the screen (with the screen shifted over appropriately).

Who knows if I'll ever get back to that...
mxmxmx
dksynth wrote:

mxmxmx

So it might be a good idea to put a little “double press/reset” button that trips both lines somewhere (In between the encoders, PCB mount or maybe on the back) even if I stick with the momentary toggle.

dunno, i don't think it's worth sticking "EEPROM reset" on the panel, it's probably not something you'll do all the time.

that said, you couldn't figure it out from the manual as is (which assumes there are two push buttons) ... there's also a bunch of features where you have to hold down one of the buttons, then turn the encoder; i'd just use push buttons for this kind of thing, though that might be a matter of taste.
Synesthesia
dksynth wrote:
Synesthesia

hah, yes I do believe I bothered you about it a couple times. I really like the feel of the toggle you used, great idea. I'm torn about whether to keep with the serge grid like you did in your design … remains to be seen how badly it will stick out in the rack.

I like those too! they are the same switch that you can find on other Buchla modules like the marf. We won't be using them anymore though - we have moved on to push button like on the Buchla 200e series smile
hox3d
Also played with a layout few months ago.

I even started PCB design, but I realized I had to slow down a little bit, and get back to it when I actually could do it... It's easier than getting back to it and wondering what you did, and why you did it that way.

[/img]
tobb
nice!
dksynth
hox3d wrote:

I even started PCB design, but I realized I had to slow down a little bit, and get back to it when I actually could do it... It's easier than getting back to it and wondering what you did, and why you did it that way.

[/img]

that's bloody well lovely mate, I definitely want to make single versions as well but if you would like to work together to make this version a real thing please PM me!
cygmu
Yes, please do that!
Prunesquallor
cygmu wrote:
Yes, please do that!

+1
dksynth

sorry for dead air, this is the new one that is ordered pending confirmation, then I'll have a couple PCBs/Panels if anyone wants some to try and I'll have a couple built ones I could sell if anyone wants one but doesn't do the DIY thing.

Went with 3 rows and proper spacing.

thoughts / tips always appreciated if there's something you think I missed or should add.
Prunesquallor
Probably a good reason for this, but given the panel real estate, could we get a bigger screen?
dksynth
Prunesquallor wrote:
Probably a good reason for this, but given the panel real estate, could we get a bigger screen?

I'm open to it if there is a compatible one out there.... the dead space underneath the screen is because there is actually a carrier PCB quite a bit larger than the screen that runs the OLED. So nothing fits there. Resulting in this kinda lopsided looking spacing.
flts
dksynth wrote:
sorry for dead air, this is the new one that is ordered pending confirmation, then I'll have a couple PCBs/Panels if anyone wants some to try and I'll have a couple built ones I could sell if anyone wants one but doesn't do the DIY thing.

I'm definitely in for a PCB + panel, if you care to ship to Finland, EU. Should finally start to build my LW system and this would be a great addition.
ArguZ
dksynth wrote:
hox3d wrote:

[/img]

that's bloody well lovely mate, I definitely want to make single versions as well but if you would like to work together to make this version a real thing please PM me!

The really cool thing about that on is that one can connect the out triggers of the temps with the in triggers of the OC with shorting bars if placed right.
I am not into Serge, but do you guys also have those ?
The spacing is 0.75" or 19mm
the bad producer
Looks great! Is it still SMT? Might be cool if it had the possibility of through-hole caps given the great drought of SMT parts!

dksynth wrote:

Went with 3 rows and proper spacing.

thoughts / tips always appreciated if there's something you think I missed or should add.
pld
dksynth wrote:
Prunesquallor wrote:

I'm open to it if there is a compatible one out there.... the dead space underneath the screen is because there is actually a carrier PCB quite a bit larger than the screen that runs the OLED. So nothing fits there. Resulting in this kinda lopsided looking spacing.

In theory there are larger compatible screens, but the anecdata I remember is that the 1.5" would only work at a lower SPI clock (which makes it unsuitable because screen/DAC share the port and the timing is tight), and a 2.4" didn't work out of the box, but without actually poking at it it's hard to say why.
dksynth
Hmm, some excellent points from the bad producer and pld …. with the larger size it would be nicer to have some THT footprints and a bigger screen... seems right now I have the worst of both worlds. I'm gonna try again for the 2 inch version with proper 0.75 spacing …. it does look much better with the size of the screen, more in proportion.

and to answer your question bad producer yeah it's still all SMT.
flts
FWIW, I actually like soldering 0805 a lot, don't see any serious benefit in moving to THT, or SMT being a worse choice. (Regarding component availability, I have a small personal storage of caps and resistors on my shelf anyway... hihi )
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1