MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What are the most useful mods to Serge designs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What are the most useful mods to Serge designs?
chocolatyshatner
I'm about ready to finally build some DIY Serge panels. I've never actually played with a Serge before, so I'm wondering what Serge mods users find most useful. For instance, there a quite a few mods for the DUSG and DTG, but I'm wondering which ones are worth taking the time to implement. I suppose it's subjective, but I'm interested to know the opinions of people who actually have some experience with the Serge.

SO, would you change anything from the "stock" Serge designs (circa early 80s):
PCO, DTG, SSG, Dual Mix, Wave Multipliers, VCFQ, Dual VCA, DUSG?

I'll be using a COA NCS1 panel, as well as THC's Best of CGS set. This could be posted in the DIY section as well, but probably wouldn't reach as many non-diy Serge users
rampy
For starters, I'd recommend cycle switches for the dusg and ssg. I used push-pull pots for this on my NCS1 and 2.

Also, you can add a cgs97 noice source to turn the ssg into a random source. This will also provide useful noise outputs, but you will need to drill holes in the panel.

There are long, detailed threads on the DIY forum that are certainly worth revisiting both before and during your builds. There is also a cgs yahoo group with pertinent information.
Permette
Yes, that's DIY !

And also for COA NCS1 :
- Attenuators on Wave Multipliers inputs for at least lower section (see http://www.loudestwarning.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/CGS-113-2-S MALLER.jpg), useful for feedback patches. Otherwise middle section too for subtle timber.

- Hot output (10V, H coupler) on SSG for Random Source patch (http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsssg_ssg.html).

- Expo waveforms on DTG by another processed CV IN for each TG (OUT to CV) (using https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/fonitronik-attenuverter-chicklet/). And that's another CV input !

- Low frequency range switch on VCFQ (follow http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs112_vcfq.html)

- Inverter on IN4 (or any other chosen input. Could also be a processor instead of an attenuator) of the mixers (DC path, see CGS 81 processor options).

Cheers !
ear ear
This is not a mod as such, but something worth bearing in mind: my Positive and Negative Slews were bleeding into each other. I asked thebadproducer to take a look at them and he sorted them out. Apparently it was down to the wrong LEDs being used when they were built, meaning they were dumping too much current.
tojpeters
Throw up pics of those panels so I don’t have to look them up and I’ll give you a giant list of mods
MindMachine
I wish I had one half of a DTG with a trigger button. More than any other regret on my unit.

I have DTG' s with Signal Ins and Bi Polar Outs. The Cycle switches would be more precise than unplugging a cord I guess. I have a mix module with a switch that I can use for abrupt on/off.
Navs
Here are my DUSG/VCS mods for gated hold, burst and an End of Rise output:

https://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/search?q=a-171-2
ear ear
tojpeters wrote:
Throw up pics of those panels so I don’t have to look them up and I’ll give you a giant list of mods

Here's NCS1, and here's BOG, SWAMP and MARSH.
chocolatyshatner
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm gonna be using the r6 gates for the dual VCA, with switches to select between lin/expo and AC/DC coupling. Also.... I can seem to find much info on how to populate the r6 ring/gate board as a gate. I did find the schematic tho.

What kind of switches should be used for cycling the DTG and SSG? DPDT? Also thinking about adding switches for the SSG to switch both halves between smooth or stepped.

I've seen some mockups of the PCO with extra switches. Any idea what that could be for? Octave switching?
chocolatyshatner
Also, if the mods wanna move this to DIY, maybe that would be more appropriate.
tojpeters
Ncs1
Most mods can be done with drilling a hole and adding switches or push pull pots
SSG
Range switch for both halves
Cycle switch for both halves
Remember the stepped side needs a connection from coupler to sample
Switch to choose regular or hot coupler
DTG
Input jacks ( off grid)
Cycle switches
Ac dc bipolar out maybe with 3p3t switches
Exponential out using sub mixer so you can still use vc input
Mixer
High gain switches for each channel or overall gain
Attenuvertors for each input
Vca
Replace with LPG
tojpeters
BOG
VCO
All the outputs switchable between Ac and dc
FM ac dc switch
Bring the sub oscillator lot to the panel
Either add jacks and pot or use the variable out jacks and pot need a dual gang pot to pull that off
Mixer as above
Filter
Add sub mixer to mix the two inputs
No provision on the pcb for that so not really a mod more required
High resonance mod
Resonance ping mod
Vca as above
There’s no point to using a r6 board unless you have both the Lin and Log cv inputs a available
The point is you open the vca with the log input and AM it with the Lin input
DUSG
All the mods I mentioned plus plenty of room for a variable exp knob
All the mods navs mentioned
Both halves don’t need to be the same
VC Divder
Manual divisions
Climbing or falling staircase out
LFO
Add a couple LEDs
tojpeters
Swamp
Really just look up th Black Swamp build thread in the DIY section and do all of it
I consider it the penultimate Swamp panel
Fully evolved
chocolatyshatner
Quote:
There’s no point to using a r6 board unless you have both the Lin and Log cv inputs a available
The point is you open the vca with the log input and AM it with the Lin input

Yes! This is the quality content I subscribe for. Thanks tojpeters! For the NCS1 panel, I'd really like to keep it Serge original circuits (via CGS; thanks Ken!) as much as possible. I guess I'll be adding an additional jack to the dual VCA on that panel for log and lin at the same time. Maybe I'll put the ac/dc input on a switch... or just make room for another jack.

I got some drilling to do nanners
tojpeters
Marsh
Infinite melody
Bit disable switches for bits four and five
Mode switch
Cv cluster
Even/odd switch
Slope detector
Range switch
did concombre
Hello, I was wondering if that would have been a good idea to install a switch on the serge ringmod to be able to swap between RINGMOD and R6 GATE VCA? There are at least 3 components that differs, so...
I only have the ring modulator wich I can be used as a VCA but it seems that the R6 gate is different.
Any thoughts before I start to drill the panel?
FatRocky
Do all NTO´s have Low Frequency switch?
syncretism
FatRocky wrote:

The NTO on the Animate did, and- oh, wait. =)

The R*S NTOs don't.
FatRocky
syncretism wrote:
FatRocky wrote:

The R*S NTOs don't.

i don´t see one eek! maybe the pot covers all that range?
wavecircle
FatRocky wrote:
syncretism wrote:
FatRocky wrote:

The R*S NTOs don't.

i don´t see one eek! maybe the pot covers all that range?

Probably my one criticism of the RS version is the lack of the switch, the range doesn't go down that low for it to be useful as an LFO.
did concombre
Quote:
Hello, I was wondering if that would have been a good idea to install a switch on the serge ringmod to be able to swap between RINGMOD and R6 GATE VCA? There are at least 3 components that differs, so...
I only have the ring modulator wich I can be used as a VCA but it seems that the R6 gate is different.
Any thoughts before I start to drill the panel?

I am talking about the ElbyDesigns one knob Ringmod.

Is it worth the switch?
I only know the ring mod and use it as a VCA too but I was wondering what would bring the addition of the LOG CV input?
thanks zombie
Permette
Hi Did Concombre.

I've been dreaming about this switch, but i finally made up my mind to not spend any time on that, thinking about the "calibration procedure".
As the Ringmod is quite tricky to rule, my thoughts was, it might be far from the R6 Gate "calibration procedure" and then no way to have both behind the switch without the trimmers on panels ! ...
Never made the R6 gate though, just the R6 Ring.
Still interested if you try...keep us in touch.

Cheers !
darcmorcel
Maybe another one for the DTG mods list, which has been offered to me by the bad producer in place of the cycle switches : cycle inputs.
FatRocky
darcmorcel wrote:
Maybe another one for the DTG mods list, which has been offered to me by the bad producer in place of the cycle switches : cycle inputs.

Cycle trigger in booty wiggler booty wiggler booty wiggler booty wiggler booty wiggler Drums! booty wiggler booty wiggler booty wiggler booty wiggler booty wiggler ?
darcmorcel
yup smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2