MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Module Tester Display stopped working
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Module Tester Display stopped working
abelovesfun
Hello,

My modular tester was working great, and then one day it didn't. Specifically, the display stopped working and would only show yellow squares on power up and then go black.

I saw damage to the negative regulator, and replaced that, and now +/- voltage has been restored, and the tester is doing what it should when I use the buttons and encoder (I can hear the oscillator and change functions), but the display still does not work.

Here is what happens on power up: https://youtu.be/CXZfuZWdR0U

I know very little about displays. Did this one blow when the negative regulator failed? If anyone has experience with this, please let me know.

Thanks!
cnicht
Have you tried readjusting the contrast potentiometer?
abelovesfun
cnicht wrote:
Have you tried readjusting the contrast potentiometer?

Yes, that was my first step - no change.
cnicht
Looking at the schematics the LCD isn’t connected to the -ve rail so shouldn’t have been effected by it failing.

Could you have disturbed a signal track when you resoldered the regulator?
abelovesfun
cnicht wrote:
Looking at the schematics the LCD isn’t connected to the -ve rail so shouldn’t have been effected by it failing.

Could you have disturbed a signal track when you resoldered the regulator?

I don't think so. The issue with the LCD occurred before I replaced the regulator, when the old regulator failed. I think I'm using too large of heat sinks considering that the regulators are just hanging by the pcb.
cnicht
It sounds like a display replacement.

However if the microcontroller is socketed it might be an idea to try a spare in there first to avoid some desoldering?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1