MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

uZeus mounted to a jack plate?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author uZeus mounted to a jack plate?
JimKeen
Hey everyone. I'm a noob here and have ordered some starter modules along with a uZeus with flying bus. I'm also building a case from scratch and would like to get your opinion on mounting the uZeus to a jack plate on the side of the case, rather than on rails. I figure a jack plate (especially if I cut some vents into it and elsewhere around the case) would satisfy Tiptop's recommendation to not mount it to wood or other flammables.

I may remove the front panel of the uZeus and cut the equivalent holes in the jack plate so the power jack and leds are directly in the jack plate itself.

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks.
jimboburgess
It'd be good to recess the switch so it wouldn't be sticking out awkwardly of the side of the case.

If you repanel it you could use thicker metal to act as a heat sink satisfying the recs of the power supply.
Rex Coil 7
JimKeen wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a noob here and have ordered some starter modules along with a uZeus with flying bus. I'm also building a case from scratch and would like to get your opinion on mounting the uZeus to a jack plate on the side of the case, rather than on rails. I figure a jack plate (especially if I cut some vents into it and elsewhere around the case) would satisfy Tiptop's recommendation to not mount it to wood or other flammables.

I may remove the front panel of the uZeus and cut the equivalent holes in the jack plate so the power jack and leds are directly in the jack plate itself.

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work?

Thanks.
How large of a cabinet are you making?

The reason I ask is if you're making a 6U or larger cabinet with the intention of expanding your synth as time rolls on, you'd do well to design the cabinet around a far far better power supply and distribution system. Soft busses and ribbon cables are not paying the respect to your expensive modules they deserve (and actually require).

The uZeus and it's soft bus are fine for no more than 3U x 84HP of Euro. Beyond that, it is far out of it's league.

So if you are designing the cabinet with future expansion in mind, design the cabinet around the power system. Which means you'll need to design the power system before you ever lay a pencil to paper on the cabinet design. Linear PSU, very very solid distribution system (I am a staunch advocate of bus bar systems, but I'm aware not everyone agrees with that).

So PSU first, cab next.

Unless you're not ever going past 3U x 84HP, without any power hungry digital modules. Then the uZeus + soft bus may suffice.

Think it over.

As far as mounting the uZeus to a plate, that's fine ... make the plate about 3x the size of the uZeus, and no less than 0.125" thick. Then mounting it to wood will be fine. I say 3x larger since if you intend to cut holes in it for air flow, you'll be removing heat sink mass in doing so. Make the plate large enough and thick enough to have enough sink mass to be of any good after drilling/cutting holes in it.

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1