MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Classic plug-ins.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Classic plug-ins.
mousegarden
We've entered a time now where certain plug-ins from the early days have definitely become "vintage classics" just like hardware has.
My Mac broke, and while it was being repaired I bought a PC to use in the meantime. My Mac is back (title track?) and I'm no longer using the PC, but yesterday I thought I'd use it as a test bed for all my old VST's I still have on a memory stick. And what a revelation! some of those old 32 bit plugs still work on Windows 10, I can't believe I've got Epicverb back, and Wow And Flutter, and Stelsi! I thought I'd lost them forever, the only dissapointment was when Proteus VX failed to work, but I guess I can look for that elsewhere.
Epicverb! EPICVERB! YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Dead Banana
Vortico
This is one of the reasons Windows has become the majority's operating system for music production. Even a few Windows 3.1 programs run on it with little hastle. Mac apps have about a 10 year timer on them before no remaining computer can run them again.
widdly
Yup, I've got a few "vintage" music computers in the studio.

I've got a mac mini G4 running with OS9 based on all the tips and software available here.. http://macos9lives.com/ It is running Cubase VST32 with lots of no longer available stuff like Pro52, FM7, NI Spectral delay. It can be a bit frustrating to use but worth it for the Spectral Delay weirdness. The systme cost me less than $100 to setup.

I've got a Beige G3, also running OS9, that I use for wave edits on my K2000 via scsi using Alchemy and Recycle. It's also running TurboSynth and Metasynth.

The oldest machine I use is a Yamaha CX5m from 1984. It has a cartridge with a Yamaha sysex editor for my DX7 and TX816.
mousegarden
widdly wrote:

I've got a mac mini G4 running with OS9 based on all the tips and software available here.. http://macos9lives.com/ It is running Cubase VST32 with lots of no longer available stuff like Pro52, FM7, NI Spectral delay. It can be a bit frustrating to use but worth it for the Spectral Delay weirdness. The systme cost me less than $100 to setup.

I've got a Beige G3, also running OS9, that I use for wave edits on my K2000 via scsi using Alchemy and Recycle. It's also running TurboSynth and Metasynth.

The oldest machine I use is a Yamaha CX5m from 1984. It has a cartridge with a Yamaha sysex editor for my DX7 and TX816.

This is the problem with computers, you have to clone and keep old machines. I've been running a Win XP machine from 2006, its "never" gone wrong, and it's never been connected to the internet or updated, it's loaded with all my old software and it works perfectly running Reaper. I've bought a new PC, and I'm trying to make it a copy of my old one.
Macs are just hopeless, I wasted a lot of money changing over to Mac on the advice of friends, it's been nothing but a pain, it's broke down twice, cost three times more than my i7 PC, and the so called logical Mac OS infuriates me all the time.
mt3
Look into virtualization software.
mousegarden
mt3 wrote:
Look into virtualization software.

We are already in it...

hihi
samplebias2
I just found this forum, where's it been hiding?

I still use Opcode "Fusion Filter" in Wavelab/Windows 7 as it lets me draw filters graphically then process offline. I used to make a lot of intro/outro edits for DJ's and this helped me extract original kicks/snares/hihats from songs and reprogram them into clean 8 bar loops. I don't know of another filter plugin that lets you do that.

Plugin has to be from the 1990's, the company is long gone
CF3
widdly wrote:

Same here. I've got an OS9 (os9lives is the shit!) machine (G4 Quicksilver) and a G5. I mostly keep them around for running MIDI synth editors (SoundDiver) and sample transfer programs (SCSI) for vintage samplers. They can be had dirt cheap. Love the PPC macs. They run soo fast!

Honestly, I've NEVER bought a new computer...EVER. For decades I've bought used macs. My current "new" machine is a 2010 (????) Mac Pro tower with 8 cores and 20 gb of RAM. Paid like $500. Runs like a champ. When that kicks it (or I want another), I'll go out an nab something...."newer".

Quote:
Mac apps have about a 10 year timer on them before no remaining computer can run them again.

lol Got plenty running over here.
proteus-ix
Like the other commenter said, can't you just run these things in a vm, or even in a cloud vm?

At this point the world has more than enough compute options that almost anything is possible without needing legacy hardware.
cycad73
samplebias2 wrote:
I just found this forum, where's it been hiding?

I still use Opcode "Fusion Filter" in Wavelab/Windows 7 as it lets me draw filters graphically then process offline. I used to make a lot of intro/outro edits for DJ's and this helped me extract original kicks/snares/hihats from songs and reprogram them into clean 8 bar loops. I don't know of another filter plugin that lets you do that.

Plugin has to be from the 1990's, the company is long gone

Yep, they were bought in 1998 by Gibson and quickly killed. I wonder how many keep G3 macs around and are still running Studio Vision wink
mkc
Not vintage, but I truly believe Valhalla Vintageverb is the Alesis MidiVerb 2 of the 2010s.

Also I think Arturia's Prophet V2 sounds better than the current V3 version, but I can't put my filter on why. I might just not like their new presets as much.
Misk
Soundtoys! they're still actively developing them, but if you get on one of their sales, you can get 'em all for like $200. really dope stuff I use constantly. Like Alessandro Cortini said: "i would wear decapitator if i could" applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1