MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My new D-2000 (and my issues with it)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author My new D-2000 (and my issues with it)
electricanada
I am the crazy fuck who bought D-2000 number 49. It came today, and is exactly what I expected and hoped for. That said, I have some problems that I hope you geniuses can help me sort.

1) When I tried to drive it from Grids mounted in the HEK, I get a ridiculous amount of noise in the D-2000 that drowns out the trigger. If I touch the rack's rails or the module faceplates with my finger, the noise changes. When I took the Grids out of the HEK and powered it from the D-2000's ribbon cable, the problem disappeared.

This is some kind of grounding issue, right? How do I fix it?

2) Grids triggers the pitched drums just fine, but it won't trigger the noise drums at all. What can I do about this? Is it possible to drive both types of drums simultaneously with Grids, or will I need another module to condition the triggers?

Here is my first groove with the beast. It's running through the little Yamaha practice amp in the background and filmed with the iPad mic. Even through that crap signal chain you can hear its unique personality. Dig that insane bass drum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh3Jao6F5R4
EPTC
Congrats on the purchase! Serial #3 here, I love that thing more than heaven and hamburgers.

Are you taking just the main output as your audio output source? If so, depending on how you dial up the drive on each noise voice adds a level of distortion or overdrive to the final mix. I'd see if you have the same noisy hum you're describing with separate audio outs of each drum source. Also, adjust the gain on each drum subtly, along with all other settings - Though, since you mention it only occurring when the module is connected to the HEK, it does sound like a connection/grounding issue you're describing, too. What else is connected to the HEK?

For the triggers, are you sure you have them tuned correctly? Just clicking the drum voice button on the D2000 over and over and tuning the drum should set the sound right. I always do that as a first step to wake the drum machine up. It might take some finessing of finding exactly where the trigger hits. You can change Grids output to be a longer gate, too (though that might mess things up with the pitched drums) https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/grids/manual/
electricanada
Thanks Ethan for the ideas. My machine is clearly faulty, though, given that it just died in a cloud of smoke. I hope I can get it repaired or replaced quickly, because I was having such a blast with it.
EPTC
Oh crap man - So sorry to hear that!

(curious if that happened when the Grids module was connected to the D2000 ribbon or HEK?)

Cheers on a repair.
CorpusCallosum
I just got my D-2000 today, and after five minutes it started smoking from the power connector area, two of the vacuum tubes blew out, and it died. Did you figure out what happened with yours? I used the power supply that came with the unit, didn't do anything unusual and nothing else was connected besides a Zularic Repetitor and the outputs into a Befaco Hexmix.
Is this common? I'm trying to figure out whether to return it for a refund or have it replaced.
Leverkusen
That's a bummer! Have you checked if the power supply is DC, center positive, apart from being the one that came together with the unit?
electricanada
CorpusCallosum wrote:
I just got my D-2000 today, and after five minutes it started smoking from the power connector area, two of the vacuum tubes blew out, and it died. Did you figure out what happened with yours? I used the power supply that came with the unit, didn't do anything unusual and nothing else was connected besides a Zularic Repetitor and the outputs into a Befaco Hexmix.
Is this common? I'm trying to figure out whether to return it for a refund or have it replaced.

Mine smoked out in the same spot. I sent it back to Eric who replaced the 5v chip. Big City Music was completely useless and irresponsible, and did not respond to emails. I will not be buying from them ever again. I had to pay cross-country shipping and insurance for a unit I only played for an hour before it blew.

After hearing your report, my guess is that Eric got a batch of bad chips. I haven't yet plugged mine back in since he sent it back, so it remains to be seen how the replacement holds up.

All that hassle aside, it's a unique-sounding instrument and I am glad to have it. I sure hope this isn't a recurring problem and that Eric continues to stand behind his creation. In his last email to me he said that he'd blame me if it happened again. Given that your experience is the same as mine, I hope he rethinks this.
luchog
I'd recommend checking the power supply as well, make sure it's putting out stable power at the rated voltage. I got an RKP a while back, and one of the power supplies that came with it was defective.
CorpusCallosum
I'm sending it back to Metasonix, he was very quick to respond and ask me to send it for repair, so that's good. The power supply is definitely the right one and it was the original packed with the unit so I don't think that's the issue, but who knows.
At least it's some consolation that it sounded amazing for the five minutes it was working. When I get it back I'd love to get some tips from people using it on how to approach it - the term "drum machine" is definitely not the way I would think about it.
metasonix
As I said before, this is usually the 34063 power supply chip that makes -5v. We had a bad batch of them from one maker (ST) so switched to Motorola-made chips. I'm not sure even they are 100% reliable. It's a simple fix, though, all the chips are socketed.

PLEASE be careful plugging any module into the D-2000 power cable. Getting it on the wrong pins can also kill the 34063 chip that makes -5v.
CorpusCallosum
Yes, I don't plan to plug anything into the D-2000 power supply, it's not worth the risk and it's just as easy to use an external sequencer anyway.
Thank you for your quick responses on this and great customer support, by the way, and it's an amazing instrument.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1