MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 vs ES-3 question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8 vs ES-3 question
robotfunk
For years I've been thinking of going ES-3 and I have already bought an ADAT capable soundcard with the ES-3 in mind. Meanwhile the ES-8 came out and it looks even easier. Am I right in thinking the ES-8 is basically an ES-3 with a USB soundcard built in? Is there anything the ES-3 does that an ES-8 cannot do? Specifically, could I use an ES-8 with just the ADAT port from my soundcard (not using the soundcard in the ES-8) ?

This would seem useful at times, for example with software that only supports a single soundcard, and to avoid having to use an Aggregate device.
debolish
robotfunk wrote:
For years I've been thinking of going ES-3 and I have already bought an ADAT capable soundcard with the ES-3 in mind. Meanwhile the ES-8 came out and it looks even easier. Am I right in thinking the ES-8 is basically an ES-3 with a USB soundcard built in? Is there anything the ES-3 does that an ES-8 cannot do? Specifically, could I use an ES-8 with just the ADAT port from my soundcard (not using the soundcard in the ES-8) ?

This would seem useful at times, for example with software that only supports a single soundcard, and to avoid having to use an Aggregate device.

You could definitely use the ES-8 via the ADAT ports on your interface. You would have 8 outputs from your DAW, and 4 inputs to your DAW.
os
There are two reasons to go with the ES-3 over the ES-8

- the ES-8 is more expensive, as you'd expect since it includes a USB audio interface!

- the ES-3 combined with the ES-6/7 can give you 8 inputs to your other audio interface over ADAT as well as 8 outputs. The ES-8, when used over ADAT, can only give you 4 inputs.
robotfunk
Thanks for clarifying Os.

Is there no limitation on expanding the ES-8 vs ES-3 as long as you run it over USB then?
os
If you run the ES-8 over USB you can expand it to its maximum 12 in/16 out.
robotfunk
Great, thanks again.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1