MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Massive CPU load on Reaktor ensemble?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Massive CPU load on Reaktor ensemble?
AW198
I've been playing around with Reaktor, trying to make my own synth, and I've made a basic one (1 oscillator based on harmonics, 1 basic waveforms oscillator, noise, a filter, envelopes/LFOs, etc).

For some reason the CPU load is really high - almost 40% for me when I use this in Ableton. Meanwhile, 'professional' Reaktor creations like NI's Razor stay around 2% load despite being infinitely more complex than my synth.

I know my ensemble isn't perfectly optimised because I'm just learning the logic of making a synth, but surely I'm missing something?

http://www.dropbox.com/s/fdh5mp3qn0lbv1t/Harmonic%20Synth.ens?dl=0
^Here's the ensemble link, and I'm working in Reaktor 5 if that helps.
SunSpots
So I have this exact same problem. My synth SHOULD NOT be eating the CPU so much. I debug and I know exactly what is eating the CPU, but at the same time it SHOULDN'T. Is there a way to complie an ensemble so it's efficient?
AW198
SunSpots wrote:
So I have this exact same problem. My synth SHOULD NOT be eating the CPU so much. I debug and I know exactly what is eating the CPU, but at the same time it SHOULDN'T. Is there a way to complie an ensemble so it's efficient?

What's eating the CPU in your ensemble? I don't know how to debug so I can't figure out what the problem is with mine either - just that it's not any individual section/macro.
andybizarre
For a quick fix, have a look at your instrument`s voice settings. Reaktor allocates all voices at once, so if your synth is intended to be monophonic, set number of voices to 1 and save a lot of CPU load.

From a quick view, your oscillators seem to drain most of the processing power. Your "basic osc" macro for example consists of separate oscillators for each waveform - there`s no need to have multiple oscillators simultaneously, if you won`t mix them afterwards.

As far as I understand it, programming Reaktor in primary is very intense on CPU, most newer professional ensembles (from V5 onwards) are written in core. hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it
AW198
andybizarre wrote:
For a quick fix, have a look at your instrument`s voice settings. Reaktor allocates all voices at once, so if your synth is intended to be monophonic, set number of voices to 1 and save a lot of CPU load.

From a quick view, your oscillators seem to drain most of the processing power. Your "basic osc" macro for example consists of separate oscillators for each waveform - there`s no need to have multiple oscillators simultaneously, if you won`t mix them afterwards.

As far as I understand it, programming Reaktor in primary is very intense on CPU, most newer professional ensembles (from V5 onwards) are written in core. hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it

I was going for polyphony (try using the harmonic oscillator in a pad patch with 'randomise' and 'widen' turned up!), but I'll check about limiting the voice count. The reason for there being 4 oscillators per waveform was because of the 'Unison' button - it puts 2 oscillators on each of the stereo channels and then detunes them, for a nice big chorus-y unison.

Core might be the answer; I've seen a lot of core usage in Razor and other professional ensembles but I've always thought it a step above what I'm capable of...
mt3
One of the best things to do is take a peek under the hood of your fave ensembles. Monark is a great sounding one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1