MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question about Teensy max analog input
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Question about Teensy max analog input
batchas
If I send a signal of max. 4v to the PIN22/A8 or the PIN20/A6 of a Teensy (not other pins), is it safe?
I mean does the ADC simply not measure more than 3.3V and from 3.3V to 5V it will read the same maximum value (without blowing anything)?
flts
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/29554-Teensy-3-1-analog-input-safe-volt age-limit

At least if it's 3.1, anything over 3.6 volts to analog inputs will probably destroy something. So better to have some kind of clipping in front of the inputs.
batchas
flts wrote:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/29554-Teensy-3-1-analog-input-safe-volt age-limit

At least if it's 3.1, anything over 3.6 volts to analog inputs will probably destroy something. So better to have some kind of clipping in front of the inputs.

In the link you mention, there's this:
Quote:
No. The analog pins with digital capability are 5V tolerant when they are used for an analog read.

This is confusing.
Aren't PIN22/A8 or the PIN20/A6 analog pins with digital capability? I'm not sure.
batchas
I have clipping in front but now that I'm trying to change some parts of the circuits there's a case when the voltage goes up to max 3.7V.
So before again changing the circuit I'd like to be sure.
batchas
batchas wrote:
In the link you mention, there's this:
Quote:
No. The analog pins with digital capability are 5V tolerant when they are used for an analog read.

This is confusing.
Aren't PIN22/A8 or the PIN20/A6 analog pins with digital capability? I'm not sure.

I mean I don't know what are these "analog pins with digital capability".

flts
Oh yeah, you're right, I didn't think & read it through.

The last post in that thread confirms it (PaulStoffregen is the designer of Teensy so he most probably knows what he's saying):

- in Teensy 3.1, A10-A14 aren't 5V tolerant, neither is AREF, so you shouldn't feed them more than 3.6V or you'll risk destroying the MCU or the pin

- all other pins can take up to 5V in both digital and analog modes, but they still only measure 0-3.3V and clip to 1023 after that.
batchas
flts wrote:
Oh yeah, you're right, I didn't think & read it through.

The last post in that thread confirms it (PaulStoffregen is the designer of Teensy so he most probably knows what he's saying):

- in Teensy 3.1, A10-A14 aren't 5V tolerant, neither is AREF, so you shouldn't feed them more than 3.6V or you'll risk destroying the MCU or the pin

- all other pins can take up to 5V in both digital and analog modes, but they still only measure 0-3.3V and clip to 1023 after that.

Thank you very much fits.
I appreciate your help thumbs up

Looks like I don't need to fear anything then by feeding 3.7V into PIN22/A8 or the PIN20/A6 Guinness ftw!

BTW, sorry I forgot to mention I was speaking about Teensy 3.2.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1