MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

11fw + 5fw expansion kit for 16fw frames
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author 11fw + 5fw expansion kit for 16fw frames
chrisdermo
After individually packaging up 45 tapes for posting I decided at 11pm to tackle expanding 3 of my 11fw frames to be 16fw with the kits from Tom mentioned in the 'show us your Bugbrand setup' thread. zombie
I documented the process:

Here's the kit as provided by Tom - for each expansion there are 2x 2pin MTA100 linking cables, 2x black stoppers to replace the 12v dc barrel and 0v nana connectors, and 3x screws to join the frames:

First step is to remove endcheeks, dc 12v barrel socket and 0v nana socket. The nana is easy enough to get off, but the dc socket can be really tough, I kind of scratched and dented one of mine a lot with the pliers. Perhaps there's an easy solution to doing this (small adjustable wrench perhaps?) but with all the times I've removed and replaced these they can get knackered easily. These are not designed to be easily removable - which is not specific to the part Tom uses - Ive always had this issue with removing dc inlets from pedals etc.

You can then plug the holes with the plastic stoppers.
NOTE - do not use these stoppers if you are using the red dual frame endcheeks! They add a tiny bit of distance between the frames that doesn't allow for the endcheeks to be lined up and screwed on. The dual endcheeks would be a bit of a strange configuration anyway as you would need to power each row separately, meaning either power inlets on the bottom of the frame as is used for rackmount configuration, or having your bottom row upside down with the power + 0v sockets on the front of the frame.

Next task is connecting the two frames with the screws. 2 notes:
1- older 3fw/5fw frames with the silver screws aren't compatible with the 11fw frames as they have different screw threads
2- due to the position of the dcdc distribution board you must screw through the 5fw into the 11fw frame as there isn't the space to do the opposite.
Highly recommend a long stemmed (?) screwdriver as the mounting rails make this a bit fiddly. Be sure to pinch the two frames together as tightly as you can while screwing through to ensure minimal gap between them!

Next use the long 2pin MTA100 cables to connect the DC 'thru' and 0v 'com' from the 11fw distribution board to the mini dcdc power supply in the 5fw portion (the mini board is labelled with relevant inputs)

Then all that's left to do is attach your endcheeks:

And populate with modules!

Can't stress enough how important it is to have a decent screwdriver - pretty sure I've given myself RSI unscrewing/re-screwing so many parts hihi
Oh bonus points if you can spot the devastating mistake I made and had to go back and rectify in between the penultimate and final photos.
a100user
Great post Chris.

Tom,you doing any more of the kits? I could you a few smile
phisynth
Nice Chris !

chrisdermo wrote:

Oh bonus points if you can spot the devastating mistake I made and had to go back and rectify in between the penultimate and final photos.

Easy, you had to dismantle everything to swap the lower and the upper 5FW because the lower only had 4 holes hihi

These kind of mistakes happen to me every time I reconfigure because of all the tiny variations between successive iterations of the frames

For my part, I kept 5FW modules in the 5FW frames and plug these in the closest connector on the 11FW
chrisdermo
phisynth wrote:
Nice Chris !

chrisdermo wrote:

Easy, you had to dismantle everything to swap the lower and the upper 5FW because the lower only had 4 holes hihi

Bingo! Check your mounting holes people!! Haha.
lud
Looks amazing now!
Did you buy the 5fw frames from Tom?
chrisdermo
lud wrote:
Looks amazing now!

I had 2 already from the spring tanker and CoF+x+dual preamp, bought the third from Tom to put this together.
a100user
lud wrote:
Looks amazing now!

The larger Red standalone units, Chirper, spring reverb and compressor are in 5fw cases
lud
a100user wrote:
lud wrote:
Looks amazing now!

The larger Red standalone units, Chirper, spring reverb and compressor are in 5fw cases

I noticed he only had 1 5fw module though!
batchas
Looks good thumbs up
T. Jervell
What! Am I right thinking you don’t have a Chirper, Chris!!! woah
If you don’t have it, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Well, I notice you’ve got other osc’s/sound sources, but still I think the Chirper is something else + of course it can be used as other things than just a standard sound source/modulator/filter. I’m very happy that I ordered mine when I placed my DDSR order. It has opended up my small-ish bug setup sooo much.....
Just sayin’ thumbs up

On a nother note, nice documentation of the process. And WOW, such a beautiful setup you’ve got... Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
T. Jervell wrote:
If you don’t have it, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Well, I notice you’ve got other osc’s/sound sources, but still. I’m very happy that I ordered mine when I placed my DDSR order. It has opended up my small-ish bug setup sooo much.....
Just sayin’ thumbs up

On a nother note, nice documentation of the process. And WOW, such a beautiful setup you’ve got... Guinness ftw!

Had a chirper from the first batch, there's a thread around somewhere with a DIY expander I made for it, but I found I wasn't really utilising it and always favouring the sv oscillators so I passed it on to someone that would get better use out of it. I did love it as a standalone instrument though! Have considered getting one back again but ultimately don't think I need it.
T. Jervell
chrisdermo wrote:
T. Jervell wrote:
If you don’t have it, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Well, I notice you’ve got other osc’s/sound sources, but still. I’m very happy that I ordered mine when I placed my DDSR order. It has opended up my small-ish bug setup sooo much.....
Just sayin’ thumbs up

Had a chirper from the first batch, there's a thread around somewhere with a DIY expander I made for it, but I found I wasn't really utilising it and always favouring the sv oscillators so I passed it on to someone that would get better use out of it. I did love it as a standalone instrument though! Have considered getting one back again but ultimately don't think I need it.

Aha! Now that you mention it I do remember you posting the DIY expander stuff and a lot of nice Instagram videos, sorry about that....
I actually find that I’m using the Chirper osc as often as I use the SV osc. There is a quality there that I just love. Also great for modulating other parts in a patch of course. Having the two Chirper osc wired to the DDSR also opens for further fun/interesting sounds w00t
It’s interesting to hear other peoples experiences though. If I don’t remember wrong someone here sold their SV, as he/she preferred the Chirper....

Anyway, sorry that I derailed the thread. Nice work Chris! thumbs up
BugBrand
Good detail, Chris!

Some points:
- spanners are 8mm for the banana socket, 14mm for the DC socket. I used to use thread-lock on such parts but found it reliable without and easier to remove things, so have not been using it for a year or two now.
-plastic stoppers (dome plugs) - they're easy to remove too - certainly don't fit them between adjacent frames.
- initial 3FW (I don't think any 5FW) used self-tapping (no.6) screws - much better with M3 nutserts - I soon saw the mistake with that.
- getting decent screwdrivers is always useful in life in general! I wonder if mole-grips (locking pliers) would be useful to hold the frames together when bolting.
- oh yes, the latest batch of 5FW cases did drop the extra nutserts
- I've got a pair of old 4-row bomber and boot cheeks if anyone wants?

I can easily make such cables etc. for people with existing setups, sure. I see it as an OK method, not ideal, but if it opens up possibilities for people, why not.

*** It is also worth pointing out again that I do not suggest using any old blue designs in the current frames. They have the same +/-15V power & cables, but the electrical and circuit approaches mean that they might operate less well on the current DCDC approach - use old linear supplies.
lud
Occurred to me mistakenly!! these leads are perfect for joining the smaller cases together too - for instance the two DRM machines in their 5fw cases. Doesn't work lol
[/img]
chrisdermo
lud wrote:
Occurred to me these leads are perfect for joining the smaller cases together too - for instance the two DRM machines in their 5fw cases. Advantage being one (larger) power supply and no banana needed to ground the cases together
[/img]

How does that work? The power supply boards don't have any spare 0V and +/- connections to link multiples?
chrisdermo
Oh and also.... love
lud
It won't work as Tom pointed out. I'll edit my last post to avoid confusion.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1