MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Massive X
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Massive X
hermbot
It looks like Massive really is getting a new version, called Massive X:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/massive -x/

This was found in a leak of the contents of Komplete a while ago. It will be available early 2019. It's been confirmed to be a standalone plugin and not built in Reaktor (as some had feared).

I think Massive remains my "desert island" soft synth. I love it to bits.

RitualAudio
FYI, the Massive X plugin's due in early 2019 - https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/massive -x/
hermbot
It's funny, you wrote that and I thought "Yeah... that's what I said". Then I looked and saw that I totally wrote the wrong date. fixed!
fishphacurr
Interesting interface- almost looks like Reaktor Blocks. Maybe the individual components will also show up as Blocks?
Panason
Why oh why will they not make a dedicated hardware controller?! 8 knobs on Maschine or their keyboards just doesn't cut it.

Massive is a very strong argument against spending thousands on hardware synths. I wish I would use it but just cannot be bothered to use the mouse to make sounds.

Loving the look of the new GUI.
Chevron87
I am looking forward to this!! The original Massive has got to be one of the most used plug in synths
Entrainer
fishphacurr wrote:
Maybe the individual components will also show up as Blocks?

This would be ideal.
Kravvall
I still have to laugh at the gorilla module every time i see the screenshot.

Really looking forward to this, as i do kicks, snare, and a lot of stuff in massive and hope for a lot of new textures. This looks so promising.
jonne74
Found some leaked PR material. Komplete 12 was heavily discounted, so I couldn't resist. This should be good.

Chevron87
fishphacurr wrote:
Interesting interface- almost looks like Reaktor Blocks. Maybe the individual components will also show up as Blocks?

That is a great idea. I wonder if you can also add your own wavetables a la Serum?
DT
was about to purchase Serum but maybe worth to wait a little what are you guys thinking?
Rex Coil 7
Panason wrote:
Why oh why will they not make a dedicated hardware controller?! 8 knobs on Maschine or their keyboards just doesn't cut it.

Massive is a very strong argument against spending thousands on hardware synths. I wish I would use it but just cannot be bothered to use the mouse to make sounds.

Loving the look of the new GUI.
There's this dude in Germany (I think) that builds these really excellent hardware controllers for various VSTs. The controllers look nearly EXACTLY as the VSTs do. He made this one particular controller for what is most likely the most killer VST of the Oberheim polyphonic synths ever made called the OPX Pro II. I have the OPX Pro II ... it goes far FAR beyond old OBX and OBXa emulations ... and his controller is this passionate labor of love.

I'll see if I can locate him ... I haven't checked his website in a couple/few years ... he may have a MASSIVE controller by now. Ya just never know about things like that.

Goldfish
Rex Coil 7
Interesting banter in some Massive X promo:

(begin quotes)

Published on Sep 7, 2018
The synth that spawned a subculture is a tough act to follow, but the forthcoming sequel is more extreme, more expressive, and more expandable in every way. Available from February 2019, MASSIVE X is the stuff of sound designers’ dreams.

Discover MASSIVE X: https://www.native-instruments.com/pr...

Whether making beats from the bedroom, designing sound in the studio, or moving crowds on the main stage, music making is about getting your ideas out. Our biggest release ever features nine new products and three major platform updates designed to help you do just that.

Captain Jack Aubrey of the Royal Navy - 2 months ago
Literally never been this hyped for a freaking soft synth!

Will it be able to open original Massive presets?

Kristiaan Kristiaan - 2 months ago
No, apparently the two instruments aren't at all compatible. I read online somewhere yesterday.

CADILLAKTRACKZ - 2 months ago
Kristiaan Kristiaan horrible

Clyde Hawkins - 2 months ago
Horrible? Since when are new synths backwards compatible with old presets? lol you can't even use presets from different update versions of the same synth. and considering everything running in it is completely different, it would be impossible

Invincibility Glitch - 2 months ago
NI says on the website that they will live side by side. Two different entities.

7thgroove - 2 months ago
Probably live side-by-side like Logic 9 and Logic X. Too bad it wont be able to open previous Massive presets though, but just not save them in Massve previous, like Logic does.

Versace MakesMusic - 2 months ago

NI says that it is just a new soft synth, massive X won't replace the original, so I guess the new one will be radically different.
Maybe some sort of digital modular? There plenty of startups developing this kind of concept so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that new synth will look more like "reaktor blocks PRO" than anything else.

House Music Production - 2 months ago
This synth has nothing to do with Massive

Shadowhenge - 2 weeks ago
No, and you can bet your butt that all the new expansions that come out wont have massive presets, just x... till youre forced to upgrade your komplete or buy x outright to use half of them.

Ryan Waclaw - 1 week ago
Clyde Hawkins electra2 and electrax presents are cross compatible lmao

(end quotes)

So this is interesting. Massive X isn't an uprate, it's an all new soft synth altogether. As versatile as Massive appears to be all on it's own, Massive X has got to be some sort of psycho shit in it's own right.

I don't own Massive, I've never even used it. But, from what I've seen/heard it was one of the heavy reasons that I decided to move forward with building a new computer specifically to run Live and VSTs within it.

I truly love wavefolded sounds, wavetable shit, hard sync screwball stuff, "FM" and phase modulated stuff, Virtual Analog synths, and modeled synths. Every bit as much as I love 1960s R.A Moog 901-series VCO and VCF sounds and old Minimoog sounds. So running Massive is a .... well ... uh .... (ahem) ... *massive reason why I am going through the headache and expense to build a new music computer with all of the latest high speed/low drag "low latency"-yet-stable-parts-made-of-munny components.

Other than DEXED, I'm not aware of any other wave-foldy/FM-y/wavetable-ish/sound fuckulator VST out there that does what Massive can do. (Yep, fully aware that DEXED and Massive are two totally different critters).

* meh ... yeaaaa ... I said that. ... and I'l not apologize for my indiscretion.

lol Mr. Green razz
Panason
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
There's this dude in Germany (I think) that builds these really excellent hardware controllers for various VSTs. The controllers look nearly EXACTLY as the VSTs do. He made this one particular controller for what is most likely the most killer VST of the Oberheim polyphonic synths ever made called the OPX Pro II. I have the OPX Pro II ... it goes far FAR beyond old OBX and OBXa emulations ... and his controller is this passionate labor of love.

I'll see if I can locate him ... I haven't checked his website in a couple/few years ... he may have a MASSIVE controller by now. Ya just never know about things like that.

Goldfish

That could be good but what is usually the case with small projects like that is that the devices end up costing almost as much as buying a nice hardware synth, because of all the knobs and buttons required and the small scale of manufacturing.

I 'm not down with the whole "everything is made in China for peanuts" business but we do need a mass produced controller here and it doesn't have to be Behringer levels of cheap...

The first to make an affordable programmable synth desktop controller (no keyboard) with enough knobs and screen real estate is going to hit the jackpot... It's unbelievable that this hasn't been done properly yet and all we have is the crappy old Novation RemoteSL Zeros (toy quality) and the even older very bulky Mackie C4 with its inadequate calculator screens....

Companies will hopefully get the message that not everyone is happy with using iPads for "hands on" control of soft synths.

Of course something like Massive has dozens and dozens of controls so a knob-per function device would be impossible but with intelligent mapping and organisation of pages, a 32-knobs-and-buttons device would be great.
Rex Coil 7
Panason wrote:
.... a 32-knobs-and-buttons device would be great.
.. a pair of Doepfer Pocket Electronics kits. Each one has sixteen knobs/buttons/whatevers that the user gets to decide what MIDI channel and which CC/NRPN it sends control messages to. You can easily chain two (3?, 4?, 10?) of those together to create as large a controller needed.

They offer up to 128 onboard presets, infinite amounts of presets may be stored on your computer. The configuration program is a free of charges download.

It's a DIY kit, but it's ridiculously simple to construct. Put sixteen knobs in a box with sixteen holes drilled in it. The knobs wire up to a pair of pre-terminated "pigtails" that plug on to the PCB. So one end of each of the two pigtails is bare ended wires, the other end has a multi-pin connector that just plugs on to the board.

Each of the sixteen controls may be a knob, switch, joystick, or even a jack to connect foot switch or expression pedal to. It's your controller, you decide how it will be configured. The kit comes with a 100% pre-constructed and fully tested PCB, two bared ended pigtails, and few other niggles. The board has two 5 pin DIN MIDI jacks (one IN, one OUT), and a standard Boss-type power input jack.

$110.00 U.S. buckaroos.

LINK = http://analoguehaven.com/doepfer/pocketelectronics/

So with minimal DIY skills, a drill, a soldering pen, some imagination, and some pots/switches/whatevers to can cook up your own MIDI controller.

No DIY skills? Commission a willing party to do it for you.

I have one of the kits ... I've yet to decide what I'm going to do with it, but having committed to Ableton I may have that choice laid out before me!

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1