MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need Minimoog Model D Chassis Measurements
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Need Minimoog Model D Chassis Measurements
Kevin Mitchell
Hi! I'm planning out my own Model D clone and I'm trying to find measurements for the 4 piece metal chassis that makes the control module - especially the drill layout for the front panel. I can get a rough idea of what they are going off of the cabinet dimensions and tracing the face panel but I'm hoping the measurements are archived somewhere- or at least I feel they should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-KM
Kevin Mitchell
Maybe someone blessed enough to own a Model D could report quick measurements of the synth module/metal box? I'm mostly wondering how deep these units are for when I start folding sheet metal.

I suppose it's not a big deal and is something I can work around without being exact. Was just hoping I could get a close measurement.

A drill layout for the panel would be nice too - apposed to tracing the reproduction panel I bought. Might be the best idea though. Idk seriously, i just don't get it

Click here for the 3D model I'm working on. Someone else had rendered their own 3D model allegedly for reproduction parts but I have no way of contacting the creator.
devinw1
Cool project. I've thought seriously about doing the same thing haha. I was going to make a model of all the wood parts in Solidworks and have them CNC routered, and then have the sheet fabbed up.

Without having a real one in front of me, thought, I was going to go more the route of making it more "my own" than trying for a clone though!

I'll be interested to see what you come up with!
devinw1
BTW, there are a coupole of other people who have pulled this off, or started to. You may hit them up for deets:

http://www.crazy-patroche.com/2015/10/clonage-du-minimoog.html
(Parlez vous Francais? Ha)

http://inaptlycrafted.blogspot.com/2016/06/minimoog-replica.html

http://www.tauntek.com/DIYMinimoog.htm
Kevin Mitchell
I've had those links bookmarked for years hihi
devinw1
Kevin Mitchell wrote:
I've had those links bookmarked for years hihi

Hehe...I figured so.

That French guy is crazy industrious! Looking at his blog it's crazy how much stuff he replicates!
KSS
The tricky part is that there is a stacked pair of piano hinges on the bottom. One for the obvious front panel tilt action, and the other behind to allow easier access to panel wiring once the PCBs are removed. Moog's re-issue eliminated the 2nd hinge due to the change in board and wiring structure.

The other dimensions not found anywhere are the left-right and inner PCB plane locations for the PCBs. They may be eyeballed from photos and that works. Still would be nice if someone could post photos focused on these two items.

Are you using the original Duo-tyne connectors? Or standard card edge types which change the vertical dimension slightly? Or going the route moog used for the re-issue with Headers and ribbon cable between the voice PCBs and the panel PCB?

Have you already found the wonderfully done PDF with all the wood case details?
KSS
devinw1 wrote:
That French guy is crazy industrious! Looking at his blog it's crazy how much stuff he replicates!

Which may be why he goes by crazy patroche. Anafrog.com for more industrious Frenchmen. Like Baloran, who did The River poly and detailed its development there.

Anafrog is one of many great non-English sites covering things not seen here.
Kevin Mitchell
Yes I have found the dimensions for the cabinet which is what this is modeled from;

I was testing my hand in doing the wood work over the weekend. It was a mess. Last time I try to rip a 3/4" board to 5/8" with a hand saw d'oh! Late last night my friendly neighbor came knocking with a cold beer and a table saw. Life just got better.

I actually have a circuit working and ready to go. It's the one Julien had created - the MME (Guinguin Instruments). So it's a simple matter of mounting the small PCB and wiring up panel mount controls with minor modifications.

I've got everything nailed down but the metal chassis and obtaining the correct mod wheels. I wouldn't need the chassis hinge and could set it up similar to the reissue model. The most difficult thing is not having access to the measurement details. It seems I'd have to do things in a fashion that accommodates my setup. Luckily with common sense and some miscellaneous info around the web I can get it close by look - at least from certain angles meh
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1