MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U drum loop
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 5U drum loop
alternating.bit
josaka
2 questions.. how would you inject swing into a patch like that ..?

and I dont see your jupiter storm there.. do you still have it..?
alternating.bit
1) hmmmmm I don't hear any swing, unless you're referring to the snare once I have it switched between gate devices, or are you referring to the main loop sound coming out of the Nomad?

2) I no longer own the Storm. I sold it because I never used it. To me it was a 1-trick pony that looked beautiful but ultimately I had to make that decision. I've downsized my whole setup significantly over the past year actually. However, I do think my recent acquisition of the Basimilus Iteritas Magnus is a wise choice, and offer many options the Storm didn't.
josaka
alternating.bit wrote:
1) hmmmmm I don't hear any swing, unless you're referring to the snare once I have it switched between gate devices, or are you referring to the main loop sound coming out of the Nomad?

I was asking how you could get swing into it smile nothing particularly dramatic.. just curious..

alternating.bit wrote:

2) I no longer own the Storm. I sold it because I never used it. To me it was a 1-trick pony that looked beautiful but ultimately I had to make that decision. I've downsized my whole setup significantly over the past year actually. However, I do think my recent acquisition of the Basimilus Iteritas Magnus is a wise choice, and offer many options the Storm didn't.

your Paul Stone build looked epic.. would have bought it !..love my storm(no lights).. so many uses for me.. think I am in for a magnus.. my only question is would I make use of the clever complex patterns with it ? or would I just use it for single sounds ..and if I did that can I get those sounds from other things then record them seperately ? seems as a single sound at a time thing you would have more control.. so is it worth it if I do that.? .mm ..dilemas smile
alternating.bit
^ Oh sorry I misread. Adding swing would be easy for me, but that's because I have this:

Thalassa
Great video and great explanation. For this kind of things is why I love modular synths. Good work !! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
alternating.bit
Thanks so much Miley Cyrus
kindredlost
Good work A.B I really like the extended part after the primer. Nice chunky vibe.

I patch drum sounds quite a bit due to the fact that I haven't had a drum machine in a few years. I've had quite a few in the past but I never keep them for whatever reason. Nutter! I guess you sold off the Vermona?

I made a patch and recording recently after I bought a Beat Step Pro and I crafted all my own sounds with the 5U. It was especially fun like you said to try to get your own flavor of a classic electronic kit.

I have had some success getting high hat sounds in the past by using a frequency shifter. It seems almost perfectly made for that.

I was going to go through with a descriptive video but my voice isn't quite as presentable as yours is. That is why I do a lot of text descriptions. I think this type of thing is something you don't see explained a lot and you did well there.

Patching a good cowbell was really a fluke for me. I wasn't going for it at first but stumbled into how to do it with the Q106A.

I also found a little trick for the bass drum sound. It is the STG Mixer. It's a bit involved but essentially driving the sound and rectifying it helps to give a compressed aspect to it and helps with the slap portion of the kick. There is no problem getting a typical boomy deep sound from 5U but integrating a good pedal slap into it is a little tricky sometimes and the good ol' STG Mixer really helps.

The STG Digital Attenuators are great for sidechain (ducking) the bass line voice against the bass drum.
alternating.bit
The Vermona ain't goin NOwhere. I still love it and use it all the time.
In fact I just released an album that was all just Polivoks & Vermona DRM (vid clip below). Plus if you saw my recent aleatoric patch video you'll notice the Vermona on top of the stack.

As for your suggested STGs, I've still yet to acquire an STG mixer but I will say that my love for STG products continues to grow over time. Very solid modules.

kindredlost
Yes I saw it in that video but you are the swap king. Sometimes things move fast in your orbit. Good to know you still have it. It's a nice synth. I guess you have the trigger feature?
alternating.bit
kindredlost wrote:
Yes I saw it in that video but you are the swap king. Sometimes things move fast in your orbit. Good to know you still have it. It's a nice synth. I guess you have the trigger feature?

Point well taken... "swap king" could be a new nickname for me hihi
Yes, its the CV version and when I used to have it rack mounted I typically triggered it via the Moon Trigger Sequencer but... yeah, I "swapped" that sequencer out Mr. Green
I really like to TWEAK and "play" the Vermona DRM and I find it much easier to do so when it is laying down as a desktop device. It is mainly on top of my system just awaiting to be brought down for tactile love.
anomie
alternating.bit wrote:

Epic video AB - thanks for sharing. Kindredlost's point about the Vermona makes me curious about when you use it versus modular percussion. What do you find are the advantages of each for workflow and sonics? I'm obviously not gonna ask about the cost effectiveness of modular drums... lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1