MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Knobs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Knobs
witchbutter
What are good resources for buying after market knobs? Particularly black metal knurled knobs, but really any type of knob.
corpusjonsey
Small Bear Electronics
js213
corpusjonsey wrote:
Small Bear Electronics

Any idea if the Small Bear Davies 1900H clones have the brass insert and the indented line on top?
MARK27
Ever since reading ersatzplanet's treatise on knob replacement, I have been totally squeamish about buying knobs. And I want to. Badly!

I even bought a digital caliper to measure the shafts whose knobs I want to replace, but the measurements never come out to exactly 0.25 inches or 6mm.

I know I just have to bite my lip and buy a bunch of knobs to see what fits what, but I am afraid that I will end up going back and forth buying replacement knobs that never end up fitting anything.

Not to mention that the shops with the best selections, like Digikey, also have the most intimidating ordering forms.

And yeah, I know that by now you are realizing that I am naturally skittish and neurotic, but regardless, every time I re-read ersatzplanet's post, I put off trying to order knobs.

Really, I just want to replace most of the knobs in my system with Kilo International knobs. They are so dreamy!

Om

I'm not afraid to say it. I love little black knobs.

Metasonix! hihi
sempervirent
Thonk and SynthCube both stock a range of knobs.
soup
js213 wrote:
Any idea if the Small Bear Davies 1900H clones have the brass insert and the indented line on top?

The 1900's I bought from small bear recently didn't have brass inserts.
js213
soup wrote:
js213 wrote:

Thanks for the info. That's too bad.
Huba-Swift
js213 wrote:
soup wrote:
js213 wrote:

Thanks for the info. That's too bad.

Would they be by chance phenolic plastic? If so that would be considered to be better than a knob with a brass insert.

I usually get my knobs from Banzai Music. They have a huge variety but can take a while to ship (at least for me here in Canada).
earthling
I'll second Thonk.

I just bought a bunch of these, and they are identical to the factory knobs on many of my modules as far as I can tell.

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/1900h-d/
Jaytee
MARK27 wrote:
Ever since reading ersatzplanet's treatise on knob replacement, I have been totally squeamish about buying knobs. And I want to. Badly!

I even bought a digital caliper to measure the shafts whose knobs I want to replace, but the measurements never come out to exactly 0.25 inches or 6mm.

I know I just have to bite my lip and buy a bunch of knobs to see what fits what, but I am afraid that I will end up going back and forth buying replacement knobs that never end up fitting anything.

Not to mention that the shops with the best selections, like Digikey, also have the most intimidating ordering forms.

And yeah, I know that by now you are realizing that I am naturally skittish and neurotic, but regardless, every time I re-read ersatzplanet's post, I put off trying to order knobs.

Really, I just want to replace most of the knobs in my system with Kilo International knobs. They are so dreamy!

Om

I'm not afraid to say it. I love little black knobs.

Metasonix! hihi

Solution: stop rereading that page.
megaohm
Recently purchased black 1900 davies clones from Modular Addict.
brass insert and set screw. Indicator is molded and infilled with white paint.
Very happy with these. Will be buying many more from them.

https://modularaddict.com/parts/knobs/davies-1900-clone-knobs
jersupereq
The Davies from small bear don't have the brass insert and are only a few cents cheaper that Modular Addict when you bulk order 100+ Seems like Modular Addict is the way to go
ersatzplanet
MARK27 wrote:

I always buy a really small number of knobs before committing to a real buy. I was recently looking at restocking the Davis style knobs I use and decided to try some ones made for knurled shafts. I bought 10 to try out. Glad I did. They were so incredibly tight going on that I was afraid they would damage the pots. It would have been tragic if I had bought a couple of hundred of them. I buy around ten so I can see the variations between knobs too. I ended up getting some set screw ones with a metal insert, best decision ever. The last versions I used didn't have metal inserts and I trashed a few by over tightening them and stripping out the plastic. Not these. Very solid.
MARK27
Oh thank you, James/ersatzplanet!

I actually feel a little better.

eek!
kaputtpanzer
Probably check out tayda, they are based in thailand: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/potentiometer-variable-resistors/knob s-8689.html?p=1
ixtern
witchbutter wrote:
What are good resources for buying after market knobs? Particularly black metal knurled knobs, but really any type of knob.

I've been buying 6mm black metal knobs at https://www.tme.eu.
Knurled knobs (with plastic inserts) - from Cliff - like this one:
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/kmr15/shaft-potentiometers-knobs/cliff/f c7230/.
Knobs for D-shafts (or for any type, as with small screw) - from Mentor - like below:
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/g506.6131/shaft-potentiometers-knobs/men tor/5066131/.
Troubleshooter
Musikding.de in Europe
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1