MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Matched 1% caps-when is matching used?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Matched 1% caps-when is matching used?
Pav
Hi,
I was looking at yusynth Steiner vcf parts list and it asks for matched 1nf5 polyester caps 1%.

I've not seen mention of much matching of caps ..so wondered if this was more common than I thought, and instances of use.
I'm guessing you might need an accurate RC circuit and you don't have much choice of resistor?

Just curious..I did not get asked to match when building Oakley vcfs but Ididn't build a Steiner ..so maybe peculiar to these.

Cheers
Pav
Jarno
capacitors in a Moog ladder VCF also need to be matched, or at least, they should, it'll work without matching unless you use something really shitty.

Also, the serge resonant equalizer, although it is subject to taste.

So yeah, accurate RC circuit, resistors are usually 1% (I do not use 5% carbon resistors), but capacitors usually have much larger tolerances (+/-10%).
dot matrix madness
Also the YUSynth Arp4072 Filter comes to mind, where the caps are matched. Due to the 470pF values, however, also Styroflex caps can be used, which have lower tolerances (at least compared to cheap disc counterparts).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1