MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

R808 PLUGIN USB Stick (???)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author R808 PLUGIN USB Stick (???)
snaper
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry about posting this here, but can't find anything over the internet about this.
Have any of you had any experience with these plug-in things?

https://dspsynth.eu/webshop/product/r808-plugin-usb-stick/
flts
The person running DSPSynth is not exactly well known regarding his attitude, level of support and workmanship and honesty:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196703&highlight=

He has some fun cheap lo-fi stuff, but I'd stay clear of any of his products and his store in general.

Edit: I can't comment on the product in general but pretty much anything I've seen from him does not exactly ooze quality, the drum thingies I've heard from him are mostly pretty dull lo-fi sample players, and it's pretty well documented and known by now that he fulfills orders pretty randomly, sometimes not at all, and doesn't really reply to e-mail.
snaper
flts wrote:
The person running DSPSynth is not exactly well known regarding his attitude, level of support and workmanship and honesty:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196703&highlight=

He has some fun cheap lo-fi stuff, but I'd stay clear of any of his products and his store in general.

Edit: I can't comment on the product in general but pretty much anything I've seen from him does not exactly ooze quality, the drum thingies I've heard from him are mostly pretty dull lo-fi sample players, and it's pretty well documented and known by now that he fulfills orders pretty randomly, sometimes not at all, and doesn't really reply to e-mail.

Yeah, I know Jan's attitude well, but, I'm a happy K5 and DSP G-1 user grin
Anyway, this think looks interesting, but there is not much info about it.
flts
Ah, fair enough. Based on specifications and the R808 idea in general, as far as I can see, the USB version is

- A lo-fi pitchable sample player with short samples like the other drums in the series, so not really a "drum synth" in the exact sense of the word,
- something you plug in to USB port and it appears as a class compliant MIDI device, then you open a 3rd party (cheap but paid) VST/AU editor which you can use to control it, and
- a device with no USB audio capability, so after automating the sound editing with the VST/AU editor and sequencing / playing via the stick's USB MIDI input, you still have to get audio out from the minijack in the USB stick and route it to somewhere.

Trying to set negativity towards Jan's business practises and general track record aside: it still sounds a lot like "worst of both worlds" type thing to me. You have to carry and plug in an USB stick so that you can edit and play a bunch of lo-fi samples with a separate paid editor, and you still have to route the audio via a minijack to somewhere instead of being able to mix in software.

The concept of having a bunch of drum samples triggerable in a modular for cheap is kind of a fun idea in a sense, but I don't really get the idea of this one - it seems much, much more fun is trivially achievable by opening practically any sampler supporting loading a bunch of one shot samples and pitching them, perhaps adjusting the sample rate if it is too high fidelity otherwise.

(Sorry, that did sound very negative, but honestly, I fail to see the "good idea" in this one...)
snaper
flts wrote:
Ah, fair enough. Based on specifications and the R808 idea in general, as far as I can see, the USB version is

- A lo-fi pitchable sample player with short samples like the other drums in the series, so not really a "drum synth" in the exact sense of the word,
- something you plug in to USB port and it appears as a class compliant MIDI device, then you open a 3rd party (cheap but paid) VST/AU editor which you can use to control it, and
- a device with no USB audio capability, so after automating the sound editing with the VST/AU editor and sequencing / playing via the stick's USB MIDI input, you still have to get audio out from the minijack in the USB stick and route it to somewhere.

Trying to set negativity towards Jan's business practises and general track record aside: it still sounds a lot like "worst of both worlds" type thing to me. You have to carry and plug in an USB stick so that you can edit and play a bunch of lo-fi samples with a separate paid editor, and you still have to route the audio via a minijack to somewhere instead of being able to mix in software.

The concept of having a bunch of drum samples triggerable in a modular for cheap is kind of a fun idea in a sense, but I don't really get the idea of this one - it seems much, much more fun is trivially achievable by opening practically any sampler supporting loading a bunch of one shot samples and pitching them, perhaps adjusting the sample rate if it is too high fidelity otherwise.

(Sorry, that did sound very negative, but honestly, I fail to see the "good idea" in this one...)

Yeah, this sample trigger thing was my first idea too, but then I read the 99musik forum topic he started and there he sad that only hihats and cymbals are samples, the rest is synthesis.
flts
snaper wrote:
Yeah, this sample trigger thing was my first idea too, but then I read the 99musik forum topic he started and there he sad that only hihats and cymbals are samples, the rest is synthesis.

Okay, that's interesting - so far all of his drum modules I've seen have been sample-based (with the possible exception of one of the 606 ones where he claims it's "virtual analogue" or similar), and even the R808 module says it's "variable sample rate PCM" and "a classic 80’s sample based drum module in 4HP" (feels a bit weird to call 808 a "sample based drum module" in the first place btw.).

Who knows! I do have some doubts because he's been exaggerating and misleading people constantly with his marketing, and doesn't always seem to know what is what himself - but if he specifically says only some sounds are sample-based then that's probably how it is.

Ultimately, I suppose if you think it sounds good based on demos, are willing to take some risk of not actually ever getting it, and think the workflow is reasonable considering possible sonic advantages instead of plugins or samples (eg. to have the stick plugged in when you want to use it, use a separate TR-08 plugin editor for editing, and route the audio from the stick's 3,5mm analog output to wherever you want it) then I guess it's worth trying out.

(I'm trying to convey between the lines that I still think it sounds like an awful half-assed product, I don't know if I'd trust it to work quite as advertised, and I wouldn't give the guy a penny more of my money - but that doesn't help you if you're keen on trying it out and specifically looking for someone who owns one of these and can give a review... hihi )
snaper
flts wrote:
snaper wrote:

Okay, that's interesting - so far all of his drum modules I've seen have been sample-based (with the possible exception of one of the 606 ones where he claims it's "virtual analogue" or similar), and even the R808 module says it's "variable sample rate PCM" and "a classic 80’s sample based drum module in 4HP" (feels a bit weird to call 808 a "sample based drum module" in the first place btw.).

Who knows! I do have some doubts because he's been exaggerating and misleading people constantly with his marketing, and doesn't always seem to know what is what himself - but if he specifically says only some sounds are sample-based then that's probably how it is.

Ultimately, I suppose if you think it sounds good based on demos, are willing to take some risk of not actually ever getting it, and think the workflow is reasonable considering possible sonic advantages instead of plugins or samples (eg. to have the stick plugged in when you want to use it, use a separate TR-08 plugin editor for editing, and route the audio from the stick's 3,5mm analog output to wherever you want it) then I guess it's worth trying out.

(I'm trying to convey between the lines that I still think it sounds like an awful half-assed product, I don't know if I'd trust it to work quite as advertised, and I wouldn't give the guy a penny more of my money - but that doesn't help you if you're keen on trying it out and specifically looking for someone who owns one of these and can give a review... hihi )

Fair enough.
My biggest problem with Janost is that, at least for me, the DSP-G1 was a really good stuff, after that, there were a few good things but later, he started to flood his site with these sample based PCM drum things, that everything blew away with those "no-power-required" modules.
Shame, cause with some proper management, this could be a really good DIY source.
flts
Yeah, I think the preprogrammed MCUs, at least the ones he did initially, were firmly in the "cheap & simple fun stuff" category - not very fancy but definitely fun to play with.

If he had just focused on that, was able to fulfill orders reliably, and took it easier with both his online persona and marketing efforts, I wouldn't have as much problem / bias with recommending or discussing about his stuff.
snaper
Ordered one, shame on me.
Forgive me, I've sinned, I couldn't resist grin
Let's see, it will be a good little addition to my setup or a complete scam...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1