MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS114 DUSG -> THAT340 transistor cores?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author CGS114 DUSG -> THAT340 transistor cores?
artilect99
Hey all,
I just found out that the THAT 340 chip is two matched pairs of transistors, one NPN and one PNP.

I was wondering if it would be possible (prob. using a daughterboard) to use this chip for the main PNP/NPN cores (specified as 2n3906 and 2n3904) in the DUSG?
J3RK
Yes, you could do that if you wanted to. I'm not sure exactly how much the DUSG would benefit from that, but it couldn't hurt at all.

Side note: Linear Systems makes metal can versions of their matched LS318 and LS358 pairs, that may be easier to hack into projects in cases where they might be beneficial.

IMO though, for general purpose pairs, you could just use the SMT matched 3906 and 3904 packages instead with decent results. I believe these are what's used on in the filter gain cells of the Prophet 6 voice cards as one example. (not sure the exact part number, but something along these lines)
oldenjon
Yes, and I can't remember why exactly but there is no real advantage to using THAT340 in the DUSG. The R*S DUSG mk1 used THAT340 and the mk2 replaced it with cheap SMT pairs. Waste of money

J3RK wrote:

Side note: Linear Systems makes metal can versions of their matched LS318 and LS358 pairs, that may be easier to hack into projects in cases where they might be beneficial.

The pairs from Erica Synth/Alfa are nice too
Jarno
IIRC, Maths just has separate transistors (smt), so also not matched.
artilect99
Yeah, at $7.50 a throw I guess it's probably not worth it for the DUSG/DTG... I was just thinking it would keep it more stable when used in cycle mode at higher frequencies.

It's weird how SMT pairs are $0.20 and the metal can through hole ones are like $20-80! hmmm.....
oldenjon
artilect99 wrote:

It's weird how SMT pairs are $0.20 and the metal can through hole ones are like $20-80! hmmm.....

The SMT pairs have a pretty loose match. You can get matched pairs with tighter specs from linear systems or erica synths for ~<$5
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1