MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The next phase on my modular journey! Grinding Halt!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author The next phase on my modular journey! Grinding Halt!
daveholiday
Hello all!

As many of you know, for the past year, my wife has had to endure a tremendous amount of shit. The good news is she seems to be in the clear for now, AND it seems nearly all the medical bills have been taken care of so far by insurance! We have a new roof on the house so the only thing we are looking at in the near future is a dishwasher!

She knows how much I like the modular, and has said I should finish it now.

I know how ridiculous this sounds to many here, but in my case it makes perfect sense. You see, I probably have $10,000 worth of gear that sits around for me to play with on a whim. There are times when I use this stuff everyday...and sometimes 6 weeks will go by when I don't turn anything on. Sometimes it seems like a ridiculous waste but the times when I feel creative or playful, it is a godsend. Also, this is stuff I have acquired over 20 years so its not like I dropped a shitload of money yesterday. Although, my yearly spending has gone up in the past 3 years. (since I started my modular)

So I want to finish my modular. Over the past two years, I have been experimenting more and more and have gotten to the point where it could become another "synth" in my arsenal rather than a big chemistry set of sound creation. In the past few months I have really been inspired by it and really want to turn it into an "instrument" that surrounds my desk.

So here is a look at the current set-up. The empty rack space above the power conditioner belongs to one of my Syntecno TeeBees which I am currently modding the CV outs. I build the case myself from poplar with a black stain finish with a few coats of satin polyurethane. The modules are held by 4 dotcom racks on 20 space Raxxes rails. Power supply is mounted behind the wood panel beneath the bottom row.

In my "final" build I am thinking about 6, 8 space rack frames giving me a total of 48 MU slots. Since I currently have 3 extra modules for a total of 4MU spaces this seems to give me plenty of expansion. I know some of you may be thinking about sequencer space, but I have the sequencer side of things covered by other means...computer, PRO2, MIDI, etc... I like the hybrid method and am not scared to use it! BTW I fondled the Polyend SEQ at knobcon.....that is one sexy looking piece of industrial design!!

So given those parameters, I was thinking of a free standing piece. My thought was 6 individual cases that could be mounted to a central spine with three cases on each side. each case could be angled slightly to provide a "console" type environment. there would be space, abeit maybe an inch, between each case to give an artsy fartsy suspended look. The bottom cases wound look much like the bottom of my current case. I will still have the TeeBee and power conditioner involved but would like to add an encore expressionist as well. I would also like to add a shelf that could accommodate the PRO 2, MC-505, or what other device I might want to control the modular at the time.

The "spine" would be welded, powder-coated steel so don't freak out about load bearing catastrophic type shit. I am not a structural engineer but I stay at a Holiday Inn Express whenever I can so....

I know this is a weird post that covers many things but I would love 3 things from my muffs brothers (and sisters)!

1. Any links or pics of creative modular setups similar to what I trying to describe.

2. Advice or suggestions, concerns....etc

3. Paypal donations.... hyper just joking....but if you need a tax write-off.... cool
Eric the Red
Glad your wife is doing better!

You can always build a 5U chandelier - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193986&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=25

(Scroll down about 1/2 way)
alternating.bit
I think I'm understanding what you're trying to do (freestanding as in suspended on a pole?). It seems like you do have a grasp of the importance of things being ergonomic and I can't stress enough how important that is in my own experience. You've had your modular for many more years than me, but you may be aware that I built an empire rather fast and created a science lab of 3 huge rack columns. Though it was impressive to look at and fun to play around with, for the day to day of actually composing music which is what I do much more now than experiments, jams or demos, I find that having things in reach and comfortable is very important or a) I'll simply get weary or b) neglect modules that are out of reach.

Since I downsized my setup quite considerably, and have enjoyed having things more eye level as opposed to really high or even low, I've just recently decided to arc things around me, ever so slightly which has made a huge difference for patching, visibility and comfort. For whatever that's worth. I look forward to your progress and am happy things worked out ok with your wife & the bills.

JohnLRice
I'm glad your wife is doing well! w00t SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo

daveholiday wrote:
So given those parameters, I was thinking of a free standing piece. My thought was 6 individual cases that could be mounted to a central spine with three cases on each side. each case could be angled slightly to provide a "console" type environment. there would be space, abeit maybe an inch, between each case to give an artsy fartsy suspended look. The bottom cases wound look much like the bottom of my current case. I will still have the TeeBee and power conditioner involved but would like to add an encore expressionist as well. I would also like to add a shelf that could accommodate the PRO 2, MC-505, or what other device I might want to control the modular at the time.
heheh, you description made me think of the famous Tonto system. Your's would be about 1/4 the size? (2 columns instead of 8!) hihi

Prunesquallor
Glad your wife is doing well, Dave!
daveholiday
JohnLRice wrote:
I'm glad your wife is doing well! w00t SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo

daveholiday wrote:
heheh, you description made me thing of the famous Tonto system. Your's would be about 1/4 the size? (2 columns instead of 8!) hihi

I had forgotten about TONTO! I am now rethinking wood finish after seeing that pic! I will try to post some sketches of what I am thinking. Or I might even make a mock-up out of scraps to see what it might look like!

I shall perform a "Rex" razz and post comments and pics of my progress!

Thank you all for the kind words!
HowDoIKnow
Very glad to hear life is improving for the two of you.

hdik
daveholiday
Thanks John.... evil

I have spent 3 hours this afternoon figuring out if I can cut smooth radius suitable for the ends of my "mini TONTO" system.

AND FOR FUCKS SAKE....I even briefly thought about a row of euro in the middle of each console.....

I came to my senses a few moments later....and thought what about a CP row on each side instead of euro rack...

This is going to turn out like the case you saw above.

I thought "I'll do two racks....that will be enough...well... lemme add 1 more...but a fourth? Sure, what the hell, I'll NEVER fill it all!"
daveholiday
On the CP note, Is Moon the only CP options out there?

Also, if any of you have an Encore Expressionist, could I get the physical dimensions? I have the manual but can't seem to find any of the particulars about dimensions. Really all I need is depth since it seems to be a standard 1U enclosure.
JohnLRice
daveholiday wrote:
COTK has about 15 different ones, some are REALLY interesting! hyper But, COTK went with a slightly different height so if you try to mix and match between CP module manufacturers it could get tricky. sad banana
http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/modules.html

Mos-Lab has a couple basic CP modules:
https://www.mos-lab.com/modules

And Synth-Werk has a couple as well:
https://www.synth-werk.com/content/modules
Rex Coil 7
daveholiday wrote:
Hello all!

As many of you know, for the past year, my wife has had to endure a tremendous amount of shit. The good news is she seems to be in the clear for now...
I am SO glad to learn this. Having been through the same thing with my own wife I can totally relate. She and I will continue to keep both of you in our thoughts, and hope that everything stays on track. I'm really happy to know things are on the upswing.

thumbs up

daveholiday wrote:
... AND it seems nearly all the medical bills have been taken care of so far by insurance! We have a new roof on the house so the only thing we are looking at in the near future is a dishwasher!
Another positive gift from Karma. You both must be livin' right. Excellent news, Dave!

daveholiday wrote:
She knows how much I like the modular, and has said I should finish it now.
She's a very strong person, you're a lucky man! As am I.

daveholiday wrote:
I know how ridiculous this sounds to many here, but in my case it makes perfect sense. You see, I probably have $10,000 worth of gear that sits around for me to play with on a whim. There are times when I use this stuff everyday...and sometimes 6 weeks will go by when I don't turn anything on. Sometimes it seems like a ridiculous waste but the times when I feel creative or playful, it is a godsend. Also, this is stuff I have acquired over 20 years so its not like I dropped a shitload of money yesterday. Although, my yearly spending has gone up in the past 3 years. (since I started my modular)
Dave, we have to have some reason to live other than working all our lives. There has to be something that brings us peace and relief from the river of shit the world can be. I go though feelings of guilt sometimes, but then I remember that my wife loves to see me happy. It makes her happy to see me happy. So I must often remind myself that this one thing that I do for myself isn't just for me. My wife worries about me when the PTSD shit begins to take me over, and it unsettles her life. So having this ~thing~ that allows me to escape PTSD symptoms makes her feel as though I'm going to be ok. I had a severely close "near miss" of a suicide attempt about fifteen years ago. Fortunately we both treasure that moment in our lives as a learning moment, one that helped us mature and provided a precious experience that allows both of us to know what that "jungle" smells like, looks like, and sounds like. That said, we both know how to identify the sights/sounds/smells of "that place" so if I were to ever even come anywhere even NEAR that frame of mind again we'll both be acutely aware of the roadsigns and be able to address it before anything dangerous occurs. So when she sees me happy, goofing around with my synth junk that is the product of twenty+ years of accumulation (just like you), she knows I am in a good place.

So that's what I mean when I say when she sees me happy, she is at ease and in a good place. That said, there's no reason to feel guilty about owning it. It's a good thing, Dave. A good thing for both of you. It's clear to me your wife wants you to be happy, and it probably makes her happy to see you happy. Give her as much of that as you can.

daveholiday wrote:
I shall perform a "Rex" razz and post comments and pics of my progress!
Do it. DO IT!! You'd better dammit! I want to see how you traverse through this project!

Both Member *Eric the Red and I feel there isn't enough project construction threads.

Along the way if I have anything I feel may help you I'll be sure to provide a "1,000 too many words" and "redundant over-posting of pictures".

Go for it Dave! Life is so damned short.

thumbs up
daveholiday
Thanks Rex!

I have started sketching some ideas so I will post some drafts in the next couple days! Trying to get through our biggest tournament of the year at the golf course this weekend so early days, late nights!

Per your post, I assume you are ex-military. If you don't mind me asking, when and where did you serve? My wife's family are military on her dad's side. Her father is a retired colonel who did 3-4 tours in the gulf as an orthopedic surgeon. Although he is retired he still works at the hospital at Fort Gordon here in Augusta as a orthopedic consultant. He had a patient last year that, out of the blue, came up to him, shook his hand, and said "Dr. Snowdy, I want to thank you for the work you did to my leg 15 years ago in Iraq" It's awesome what a small world it can be at times!

You may not want to share those details of your life and I respect that.
daveholiday
my "Autocad" drawing

JohnLRice
daveholiday wrote:
my "Autocad" drawing

thumbs up

You could also go with s spider/crab leg support as well? This Serge is one of the most awesome modular designs ever IMHO. we're not worthy

Quote:
Gorgeous Serge analog synth built by Sound Transform Systems. Support stand designed by Mike Adjillian, manufactured completely out of aluminum

Dr Gris
Is that a pic of the former true leader of United Fruit Company?
hihi

Ok, I know...that was cryptic...but I guess someone with a twisted brain like me get the "joke"...

Great news about your wife Dave!!!

//M
Mark11Audio
daveholiday wrote:

Also, if any of you have an Encore Expressionist, could I get the physical dimensions? I have the manual but can't seem to find any of the particulars about dimensions. Really all I need is depth since it seems to be a standard 1U enclosure.

Hi Dave,

Great news all around, happy your wife is doing well, and you're back in the game for the modular world.

I have an Expressionist at home, but I am away at work for 5 more days, if no one else chimes in, I'll get you the measurements when I get home.

Cheers, Mark thumbs up
daveholiday
Mark11Audio wrote:
daveholiday wrote:

Hi Dave,

Great news all around, happy your wife is doing well, and you're back in the game for the modular world.

I have an Expressionist at home, but I am away at work for 5 more days, if no one else chimes in, I'll get you the measurements when I get home.
Cheers, Mark thumbs up

Thanks Mark, It might be a moot point as I am looking at perhaps 1 or 2 of the Moon 551CP midi modules to take the place of the TeeBee and the expressionist...but we will see how that works out cost wise!
JohnLRice
daveholiday wrote:
I am looking at perhaps 1 or 2 of the Moon 551CP midi modules to take the place of the TeeBee and the expressionist...but we will see how that works out cost wise!
And just because I want someone to buy this so I can quit thinking about it! meh oops

Modcan MIDICV 63B! Pretty rare, I've never tried one and on the expensive side but . . . hyper
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203387

Details here:
http://www.modcan.com/bmodules/midicv.html
daveholiday
I wouldn't ever touch Modcan stuff...I hear it's poorly built, doesn't have shit for features, and with people dumping modules off left and right for pennies on the dollar...there MUST be something wrong with them right?

lol

This is probably going to sound insanely stupid, but I want to keep my design fluid with my current system! With my OCD I would have to make a dedicated box (shrine) to house such a rare powerful beast!
daveholiday
So I have arranged a gourmet dinner for my lead woodworking and finishing tech for this project. Great guy, attention to detail, innovative thinking, and willing to put forth some hours to complete the project.

Wait....in plain English

I am throwing a couple chickens on the smoker so that Dad and I can kick around so ideas on the design! Since he is retired, Mom loves it when I give him projects! The great guy and attention to detail part is 100% spot on tho!

I am having some reservations about my initial curved end cheek design. Its not that I cant do it...but it isn't the same as my "floating" pods of modules that I have in my head.....

HOLY SHIT!!!...... as I was writing that last sentence I thought of another idea.....sketches to follow tomorrow!!
JohnLRice
daveholiday wrote:
I wouldn't ever touch Modcan stuff...I hear it's poorly built, doesn't have shit for features, and with people dumping modules off left and right for pennies on the dollar...there MUST be something wrong with them right?

lol

This is probably going to sound insanely stupid, but I want to keep my design fluid with my current system! With my OCD I would have to make a dedicated box (shrine) to house such a rare powerful beast!
hihi Of course you could always repanel it? cool
JohnLRice
daveholiday wrote:
I am having some reservations about my initial curved end cheek design. Its not that I cant do it...but it isn't the same as my "floating" pods of modules that I have in my head.....

HOLY SHIT!!!...... as I was writing that last sentence I thought of another idea.....sketches to follow tomorrow!!
thumbs up

You could make them 'articulating' so that the stack could be vertically straight or adjusted so a certain amount of curve? hmmm.....

These might not be exactly what you need but if you put these in between the cabinets and added something on the sides or back to lock them in place?
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=50303&cat=3,50659&ap=1
Ockeghem
Encore Expressionist. It is about the depth of standard DVD case, 8.5 inches. You should allow for 1/4 inch jacks etc. connecting to the back.

[/img]

daveholiday
Ockeghem wrote:
Encore Expressionist. It is about the depth of standard DVD case, 8.5 inches. You should allow for 1/4 inch jacks etc. connecting to the back.

Perfect....I would have guessed an 8 inch case, but it is nice to know for sure! Thanks for the info!
umma gumma
what about mounting it on a wallmount swingarm, like the big flatpanel TV displays?

then you could control the angle, as well as fold it back flat against the wall when not in use?

and it would not take up any floorspace
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5