MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Joystick/Touch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Joystick/Touch
BugBrand
Every so often I wonder about a joystick controller.
The CTL2 Joystick/Touch still feels like quite a good basis - though I didn't actually find myself using it all that much. I would be looking to use a new type of joystick - nicer feel - and alter the layout simply to bring it into line with current modular designs. I had previously wondered about FSR pressure sensors for the touch points, but actually the old ones worked very nicely.

The main question is whether it would be of interest - I would have to specially order joysticks in quite a reasonable quantity. The price falls quite a lot from 60 units to 120 units, but that is quite a lot of stock to get tied up.. I'm not sure there'd be demand enough even if spread over 2 years or something.

What do people think?

mbleming
+1 for me, I'd love to have one of these in BB format.
Be Sandy?
I'd definitely buy one Tom.
It would complete my Bugs control boat.
fever606
I'd love to have one... seems like it would be a fantastic combo with the Reds and SV/Blues!

Controlling Chirper oscillator cross-mod? Both COFilter freqs? Filter and Decay Mod levels on the DRM2? Not to mention all the options it opens up on the SynthVoice... w00t

In short: yes, please!
DickMarker
Honestly, I've found I haven't got as much use out of joystick modules as I thought I might but would love to have some touch control capabilities so I'd probably get one for that and count the joystick as a bonus!
soup
Yes!
T. Jervell
DickMarker wrote:
Honestly, I've found I haven't got as much use out of joystick modules as I thought I might but would love to have some touch control capabilities so I'd probably get one for that and count the joystick as a bonus!

I actually feel the same way. I’ve got a joystick module that’s most of the time just sitting there.... BUT I really think the touch points, with both gate and pressure out will make this one much more useful for me, as I could actually use the gate outs to fire envelopes, then modulate filters etc. with the pressure outs and use the joystick to control pitch and/other aspects of a patch simultaneously!
So yeah, I would get one if you decide to start up production thumbs up

While were talking controllers, I would absolutely love it if something aking to the CTL1 was to be made available hihi
jjsynth
A touch controller would be rad. I'm also not so sure about a joy stick.
lud
I'd definitely buy one, been hoping to pick one up used but haven't seen any. The touch pads and switch options are are big bonus!
chrisdermo
As I've probably mentioned hundreds of times already - YES!!! Would be all over a joystick, also been trying to find an old one forever, surely the fact that no one is giving one up is a testament to it's usefulness? I'd likely want 2 for my control row.
Definitely prefer touch plates to fsr's. I got used to the way the CTL1 plates react after some time to get acquainted and calibration, find them perfect for that pressure playing style.
BugBrand
Ha, yes, so there are two people with similar slight joystick ambivalence as I have! Every so often there's an instance where I think a joystick would be great, but in practice..
Batchas' videos tend to remind me to try joysticks again - and, actually, the Radiomusic module - playing that with a joystick would be fun.
chrisdermo
Other Frac users may also want one? I also don't think there's a joystick solution for other banana systems is there? Maybe people would go for standalone solutions to use with Serge and Ciat Lonbarde etc.
chrisdermo
Also, if you end up revisiting the old bin mux designs I believe old blue users have stated the usefulness of having a joystick and touchplates to control the ins on such a module.
/\/\/\/
Do you find that the touchplates work well in conjunction with the joystick? I would almost prefer to have the two separate, and maybe have a dual joystick module... then you can really get into some left/right brain 4-D action.

But yeah - I envision the joystick would be really nice for something like the DRM2 or DRM1-X, as something like a global controller.

It seems like a good option. I have an IR sensor that is kind of fun, but not especially useful (kind of a novelty). A joystick would have the added bonus of fixed settings and finer control.
BananaPlug
Perhaps a dual unit could offer some special advantages. Don’t know what exactly but it’s intriguing. Also like the idea of involvement with Chirper.
sungja
There was a dual joystick box from years ago i believe. Joybox?? That was cool. thumbs up
fredguy
/\/\/\/ wrote:
Do you find that the touchplates work well in conjunction with the joystick? I would almost prefer to have the two separate, and maybe have a dual joystick module... then you can really get into some left/right brain 4-D action.

But yeah - I envision the joystick would be really nice for something like the DRM2 or DRM1-X, as something like a global controller.

It seems like a good option. I have an IR sensor that is kind of fun, but not especially useful (kind of a novelty). A joystick would have the added bonus of fixed settings and finer control.

The joystick and touch plates work great together. I often use the joystick x-y outs for secondary filter/ envelope modulations. The pressure and gate outputs are fun with the PT delay time and controlling the SEQ1 respectively.
I'm in for a second if Tom decides it's a go. Miley Cyrus
jimmie
I definitely would like to have one! only i'm currently broke very frustrating
lnd
jimmie wrote:
I definitely would like to have one! only i'm currently broke very frustrating

^
seeasound
Ive always fantasised about having that intellijel joystick for when I eventually go modular and now that im getting in on the bug scene I would for sure be keen to play with that form of control.

It would also look the business in a system I reckon.
batchas
BugBrand wrote:
Batchas' videos tend to remind me to try joysticks again

Always cool to have some in the system. For modulation and interaction of course, but also for mutliple use.

Last patch I was short on switches and the joystick saved me Guinness ftw!
And 2 axis = 2 switches.
This ext. inputs setting is actually very, very handy. So you have also attenuating, inverting, switching in your setup.

I never had the one with the touchplates, but IMO it's very good to have these with the joystick.
Having all these on one module allows to have a lot of control, add some swing and so on.

On mine, BTW I use the momentary switch very often, but having it also as toggle is very useful.
batchas
BugBrand wrote:
The main question is whether it would be of interest - I would have to specially order joysticks in quite a reasonable quantity. The price falls quite a lot from 60 units to 120 units, but that is quite a lot of stock to get tied up.. I'm not sure there'd be demand enough even if spread over 2 years or something

Maybe you could ask Intellijel if they have spares from the Planar 2 batch? Maybe they are happy to let some go if they also had to buy a big quantity to get fair price. Just thinking out loud...
Voltage_Controller
+1 would buy
otoskope
I think you could just make more of the old one. It's the best joystick controller I've ever used. I have used it quite a lot as the main controller for a small impro system, and the combination of the touch controllers and the joystick allows for a wide variety of gestural playing styles. Having both gate and pressure output is essential - gate for triggering or switching, and simultaneously using the pressure for expression.

The choice of uni/bi-polar and processing + DC generation is also great.

The only thing is that I found the pads a bit difficult to calibrate, so I put insulation tape on top of them, and in that way I achieved the most controllable pressure response. Especially the soft levels were hard to produce before. So, as you did in Rev.3 of the CTL1, putting lacquer on top, would help.

Apart from that, it is perfect!

/Palle
chrisdermo
otoskope wrote:
I think you could just make more of the old one......., it is perfect!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3