MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pcb Etching Design- Placing pads on layers for soldering
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Pcb Etching Design- Placing pads on layers for soldering
djthopa
Hi good friends!

Lately I seem to be asking a few questions on the forum every week, i promise i do check before asking!

I have been making some schematics in Eagle and then etching my boards.

I am running into designs that require double layer schematics.

One of the problems im facing (rather a question of how you tackle the issue) is that im soldering some components from the top layer of the pcb, well in the top layer.

Normally as with thru hole, or purchased or manufactured pcbs, i solder most components from the other side of the pbc (bottom) but since this pcbs are home made, sometimes i need to solder on the top layer too, since the line trace is in the top.

I could solder the component from the bottom layer, which is where the pad of the object is, but since my home made pcbs do not have a physical thru hole connection, how do you fix this problem?

I have looked into different options but im quite confused.

I have some small pads i can insert thru the pcb that i had to fix broken pcbs, but dont know if this is the used technique.

Another option would be to place pads in the layer in Eagle, but i have been looking into it and in some cases, this pads also need to have a connection on the schematic, so it makes things kind of confussing.

Any ideas, hints or ways you etching people use?

For example if i have a via that is in the bottom layer and then i want part of the signal to change layer?? I know if the pcb is manufactured there wil be a tru hole but how do you do it with etched pcbs???

Many many thanks

This is a picture i have found that seems to be in the right direction:

adam
you just need to make the hole conductive, soldering a piece of wire through it would be fine.
djthopa
Thanks for the reply Adam,

I was thinking about that as a way to go cheers.

Also considering placing solder pads on both layers, so the solder can connect both sides.

WirePad and SoldPad Eagle libaries seem good aprroaches too. hmmm.....
robin87
I might be missing something here, but why don't you just place vias in the board layout, like you would do on a regular manufactured pcb, and make them big enough so you can actually drill the hole and solder in a piece of wire from both sides?

Adding wirepads in the schematic sounds like it could get confusing fast.
djthopa
robin87 wrote:
I might be missing something here, but why don't you just place vias in the board layout, like you would do on a regular manufactured pcb, and make them big enough so you can actually drill the hole and solder in a piece of wire from both sides?

Adding wirepads in the schematic sounds like it could get confusing fast.

Yes adding wirepads is pretty confusing. I am quite new into Eagle, and had not tried the via alternative but it seems like the way to go.

So, when i place a via, it shows in the file as a hole / pad? This way i can solder a wire trough the pcb ?

Many thanks
meretrix
What I've always done is create vias with 0.6mm hole/1mm pad, then stick the lead of a 1/8W resistor into the hole. Clip the lead so there's still a bit protruding from the hole, then solder, flip board, solder other side, then trim the lead close to the board. This will give you a "plated-thru" via on a homemade board.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1